Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A little bit of snow this week has slightly improved ski conditions

Still scratchy underneath but I had some good runs yesterday.

Today I was up at our closed down ski hill working on this weekend's skimo course with a couple guys. Real cold, and that place is a lot lower and the snow conditions are still pretty bad. Their idea for a boot pack is pretty silly and might involve ladders to get up a steep embankment next to a road. We set up a more tame alternate too though.

Plus side, feet were comfortable after a couple hours of skinning, walking around, and skiing in the backlands. I did the memory fit deal the other day where you heat up the whole boot with liner, and then the shell itself itself molds a little bike like just a liner would.. Tops of my arches/ankles were getting pretty good blisters and my pinky toes weren't comfortable, so I taped some little bits of foam to those spots. Seems to have worked well. Now I just need to learn how to ski better on this flimsy stuff. Probably would help if I actually went and spent time skiing it. like 40s down a run in the dark in a skimo race isn't great practice. Was pretty surprised how fast the guys I was with were going down through ice, moguls, and bushes on full race gear.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Hey so went skiing for the first time in 21 years last week and had an absolute blast. The experience as a physically fit guy in his late 30s with a bit of confidence was night and day with my memories of being a very timid, fat young teenager and I think my body remembered a lot more than I realised. Went to Austria, Fieberbrunn (near Kitzbuhel) and had a great time charging down red slopes for a few days.

I've decided I definitely want to be doing more skiing, coming from diving I know the advice on that would be 'rent stuff for a while, find out what you like and make sure you do enjoy the sport and have time to do it'. I however am an idiot and don't really like renting stuff. Trawling through eBay/facebook - is there anything to be aware of for buying equipment second hand? Primarily boots (skis seem too impractical for travel/storage at home). I'm aiming to try boots on in a few shops and find a make with a size/last that's comfortable and getting something cheap enough that it'll pay for itself in 3-4 trips (or I can sell without losing much). Aside from the obvious risk around fit are there any other 'risks' to watch out for? If I end up buying an older boot will they explode on me or be unusable for some reason?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

IMHO, you don’t know enough about gear to buy used off of fb/ebay; there are a ton of variables for fit, safety and compatibility that make it a bad idea.

Look around at shops that have used gear or ski swaps in your area where you can talk to a shop employee and try on the boots in person. Boots with the size/last/flex can fit differently depending on brand, model and year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Buy new boots that fit right when you are ready. Good chance you can find a decent sale in the next month or so.

Having your own boots and renting the skis is generally a good plan.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Alright, my plan might be more to visit a few shops near the end of the season and grab whatever fits well that's a reasonable price. Am I likely to notice any particular difference between different models i.e. if a cheap entry level boot fits well vs. I find one of the stiffer 'serious' models fits? Or just try to ask more questions when renting and spend some money on market research that way? Not my preferred way of doing things but if it's likely to be the only way to do this I guess that's how I'll do it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I might offer a slightly dissenting opinion on the owning boots renting skis angle, although it depends on where you are renting the skis from and the logistics involved. Some places won't rent skis without seeing the boot they are going to be paired with, and this means you either have to take your boots on and off multiple times after arriving at the resort, or hauling a gear bag with you to the resort. If you are renting the skis outside of the resort and you can stop by and walk the boot in this is, of course, not that big of an issue. But it does add a lot of time every day you want to be skiing. I can definitely understand that transporting skis is a pain, but I was actually able to do so even when I drove my old car, a 2009 Nissan Sentra, a vehicle definitely not built for hauling skis. You can probably pick up a relatively decent all mountain ski that will serve you well from green to blue range for around 300 bucks or so. Rossignol Smash 7s come to mind, or something similar.

I will go against the grain here again and say that eBay might be a good place to pick up some skis. Lots of times you can pick up a pair of skis that were resort rentals the previous few seasons for good prices. Most of these will have slide bindings which will work with pretty much any size or type of boot. Just make sure the listing indicates that the bindings are indemnified, or lists the models so you can check. Buying from someone that is obviously an individual user is something I would stay away from at this point. My local resort does an end of year thing during the Spring in which you can rent a pair of skis, and if you like them at the end of the day you can buy them and they deduct the rental price from the sale price. That is how I picked up one set of skis, and I lucked out in that the pair I rode that day had never been used before, so that was pretty awesome.

Realistically if you are going to start skiing often you want to minimize the hassles of your ski day. Being able to park and go straight to the lift is going to make your day so much better. Depending on where you live you can probably wait a month and pick up a spring pass for a few hundred. Although it sounds like you may live in Europe, in which case I think the lift ticket cost is significantly less of an issue.

Indemnification link: https://www.skibum.net/do-it-up/gear-guide/indemnified-bindings/

Link to an ebay listing of the type I describe: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334174658444?hash=item4dce5c9f8c:g:-VUAAOSwNUBhYIu-

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Good fitting boots are the most important part of your ski equipment so yes buying boots and then renting is a good idea. I did that for awhile when I moved back to montana. It's likely going to be worth spending the extra money to buy them new in a store as a good shop at least will make sure they fit properly. In addition to just the size/length, boots come in different widths and then can be modified to fit your foot better, which are things you won't get if you just buy something "in the right size." Boot sizes are also very different from shoe sizes. I wear a 12 in street shoes which if you look at a ski boot size chart says I should be in like a 30.5 shell but my boots are actually 28.5.

Just carrying your boots to the rental shop is if anything easier than putting them on in the parking lot and then walking in them anyway. And you won't have skis to carry either. Then you rent your skis, they adjust the bindings to your boots, you put your boots on and get ready in the comfort of the rental shop, leave your shoes and whatever else in there, and off you go.

You also don't want to just buy skis online without having boots first. Non-rental bindings have limited adjustability so you need to know your boot sole length and can't just expect to by any pair of skis and use them. You can have bindings remounted but ideally you'd find some already mounted in about the right spot and not have to worry about extra holes in your skis or conflicts resulting in a less than ideal mount point.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 3, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

At my local mountain if you are going to stop and rent there it adds 30-45 minutes to your day most of the time,(only one person working on weekdays and huge lines on weekends) and I don't think that is time well spent on a ski day. If you are going to rent there are lots of places you can rent the day before, after 2 or 3 pm, that won't charge for the day you pick them up, so that might be an option too. And generally these places are further away from the mountain and cost less. I honestly cannot think of anything that puts a damper on my ski day more than going to the lodge first instead of directly to the lift. If it is a ski race day the lodge is absolutely the last place in the world you ever want to go. That is my local experience, but perhaps it is different elsewhere. I do note that PCMR on both sides seemed much more well equipped to handle renting at the base and getting going quickly, but that is the opposite of my local mountain. Depending on the mountain if you are geared up and equipped you can sometimes get early ski access or a significantly better parking situation as well. For example the HRM lift at Mt. Hood Meadows does early loading on peak days, and the Jordanelle Gondola at Deer Valley has a better parking/crowd/line situation.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MrNemo posted:

Went to Austria,

Idk if you're actually in Austria but they have decent ski superstore places with a big range of kit that's not too expensive. My girlfriend got her downhill boots in Mayrhofen and the place was super cheap and big range.

For skis look at geizhals.at which is a great local comparison site, I use it for looking up skimo gear which is limited availability, but should be good for finding regular gear.

I'd get boots in person initially and maybe some ebay skis suitable for the kind of skiing you think you'll like. If you're skiing a lot the cost of rentals will add up pretty fast.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I went ski camping this past weekend with my wife. Pretty fun! Got some decent turns and didn't freeze to death. Would do again. It hit maybe 8F as a low where we were at. Lots of wind affected snow above treeline. Almost spring-like below treeline on S aspects as we were heading out at ~1pm.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

drat that looks sick, really channeling your inner 50 Project there.

Regarding gear, get boots first and get them new. Yes you'll have to spend money, but it's the single best and most important piece of your kit. And generally if you go to a shop, they'll pair you with the right boot, so don't worry too much about research. Then get skis online if you want, because skis are pretty secondary to boots.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Idk if you're actually in Austria but they have decent ski superstore places with a big range of kit that's not too expensive. My girlfriend got her downhill boots in Mayrhofen and the place was super cheap and big range.

For skis look at geizhals.at which is a great local comparison site, I use it for looking up skimo gear which is limited availability, but should be good for finding regular gear.

I'd get boots in person initially and maybe some ebay skis suitable for the kind of skiing you think you'll like. If you're skiing a lot the cost of rentals will add up pretty fast.

Unfortunately it was just a weekend trip, I'm in the UK so not so much super easy access to ski sites. Which is one big reason I wouldn't want to get my own skis, driving to ski resorts is generally going to be a minimum 8 hours driving and up to 14/15 hours. It's also more expensive than flying or taking a train unless you've got 3 or 4 people going together because of the trip to France. Taking skis by train is doable but air travel strikes me as a level of hassle where renting is worthwhile. There isn't any real problem with renting skis if you've got boots, the usual thing is getting it from a shop based near the bottom of the slope area.

I'm going to resist my natural inclination to go buy a load of cheap gear and just keep renting. I fully understand the advice to go buy stuff in shops with knowledgeable staff but, at least with ski shops in London, I definitely don't know enough to make that level of investment (with 3 or so weeks worth of renting to equal the cost).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Cold one today! Copper started at -10 this morning. Had the day off so I got to the lot at 1015 or so. Put on my boots, jacket, glove liners, and...realized I forgot my gloves.

Did two runs in my liners with holes in them, said gently caress it, and got lunch. Decided not to overpay for a pair of gloves I don't need and went home. :negative:

A quick question on boots: I got fit for new boots at Boot Mechanic earlier this year and ended up with Salomon S/Pro 130s. I've probably skied about 18 (and a half :v:) days in them so far and they feel like they're a bit too wide on the sides. I made an appointment to get them adjusted, but is that something that's pretty easy to fix?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MrNemo posted:

Unfortunately it was just a weekend trip, I'm in the UK so not so much super easy access to ski sites. Which is one big reason I wouldn't want to get my own skis, driving to ski resorts is generally going to be a minimum 8 hours driving and up to 14/15 hours. It's also more expensive than flying or taking a train unless you've got 3 or 4 people going together because of the trip to France. Taking skis by train is doable but air travel strikes me as a level of hassle where renting is worthwhile. There isn't any real problem with renting skis if you've got boots, the usual thing is getting it from a shop based near the bottom of the slope area.

I'm going to resist my natural inclination to go buy a load of cheap gear and just keep renting. I fully understand the advice to go buy stuff in shops with knowledgeable staff but, at least with ski shops in London, I definitely don't know enough to make that level of investment (with 3 or so weeks worth of renting to equal the cost).

If all your ski trips will require 8 hours or a flight I would strongly recommend just renting all the gear when you take trips(my previous advice was predicated on the belief you could make an easy day trip). How many total days a year do you anticipate skiing, and how many total trip are you going to take? Ski trips by themselves can be expensive enough to limit them, so if you take a 4 or 5 day trip once a month for Dec/Jan/Feb I would assume you are going to be renting the gear at a slight discount for multi-day use. This also has the advantage that you can test out different brands and equipment, ski types, etc.. more easily. Also if you are pretty athletic and/or advance quickly then you can progress through the equipment as needed until you somewhat plateau. Plus if you can only go a few times a year having the equipment take up space in your place can be a real drag. I have all my own gear and if I fly somewhere I will typically just rent because traveling with ski equipment is just such a hassle.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If all your ski trips will require 8 hours or a flight I would strongly recommend just renting all the gear when you take trips(my previous advice was predicated on the belief you could make an easy day trip). How many total days a year do you anticipate skiing, and how many total trip are you going to take? Ski trips by themselves can be expensive enough to limit them, so if you take a 4 or 5 day trip once a month for Dec/Jan/Feb I would assume you are going to be renting the gear at a slight discount for multi-day use. This also has the advantage that you can test out different brands and equipment, ski types, etc.. more easily. Also if you are pretty athletic and/or advance quickly then you can progress through the equipment as needed until you somewhat plateau. Plus if you can only go a few times a year having the equipment take up space in your place can be a real drag. I have all my own gear and if I fly somewhere I will typically just rent because traveling with ski equipment is just such a hassle.

He should still buy boots if he is going to ski 10 ish days a year. It will be 1000% worth it. Super easy to fly or train with them too. Flying with all your gear is also ridiculously easy (especially in the US/Canada).

OP, if you get an end of season trip back down to france look into buying boots while you are there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, flying with ski gear is way easier than people who have never done it think, especially with roller bags. I also second at least buying boots and then maybe renting the skis when you get there to start, and maybe consider buying gear in a year when you’re better.

I used to fly across the world with 4-8 pairs every year.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Hoping for some travel advice here; I mentioned a while back that I'm taking a trip to Golden, BC for some guided touring (and I guess a day or two at Kicking Horse, probably). Pretty much all of the rest of the group is going earlier than I am and getting some days in at Revelstoke before heading to Golden, but I'm planning to go straight to Golden solo. Any tips for getting to Golden travelling by myself for not a crazy amount of money? I'd assume fly to Calgary and then (???), but not sure on that second step.

We'll do a sort of group summary of travel and car summary, and maybe the answer is we'll want another car in Golden anyway and I'll just rent one and drive it and split the cost, but wouldn't want to rent a car for a week or so just to drive it from Calgary -> Golden -> Calgary and otherwise just have it sit around.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Change your plans to go earlier and ski Revy. Problem solved.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Change your plans to go earlier and ski Revy. Problem solved.

Hah, yes, I'd obviously love to do that. But, uhh, I'm already going to be in CB/Aspen for ~9 days at the end of March, and I'm already extending this trip from 5 days to 7 days to ski Kicking Horse before we have the guide, so adding another 3-4 days is asking a lot of my wife to be watching the kids for that long.

On top of that, when we first started dating in 2010, I went to Revy without her with our mutual friend that introduced us. It was early enough that it wasn't an obvious "yes she should come" and it's a bit of a sore subject. Oops.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You can take the Rider Express but it has a weird schedule and you would need to get from the airport to the mall.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve French posted:

Hoping for some travel advice here; I mentioned a while back that I'm taking a trip to Golden, BC for some guided touring (and I guess a day or two at Kicking Horse, probably). Pretty much all of the rest of the group is going earlier than I am and getting some days in at Revelstoke before heading to Golden, but I'm planning to go straight to Golden solo. Any tips for getting to Golden travelling by myself for not a crazy amount of money? I'd assume fly to Calgary and then (???), but not sure on that second step.

We'll do a sort of group summary of travel and car summary, and maybe the answer is we'll want another car in Golden anyway and I'll just rent one and drive it and split the cost, but wouldn't want to rent a car for a week or so just to drive it from Calgary -> Golden -> Calgary and otherwise just have it sit around.

You're definitely going to want a car in Golden, it's very much not a transit/walking friendly town. If your friends will have enough car space once they arrive, there's a bus that leaves a mall in Calgary and drops you off somewhere along the highway, but then you're going to have to basically hitchhike into town from there because it's not walkable, especially not with ski gear. But if you're going to be on your own for longer than a day I would 100% pay for the rental car because Golden is not a place where you want to be stuck without your own transport.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HookShot posted:

You're definitely going to want a car in Golden, it's very much not a transit/walking friendly town. If your friends will have enough car space once they arrive, there's a bus that leaves a mall in Calgary and drops you off somewhere along the highway, but then you're going to have to basically hitchhike into town from there because it's not walkable, especially not with ski gear. But if you're going to be on your own for longer than a day I would 100% pay for the rental car because Golden is not a place where you want to be stuck without your own transport.

Yeah, I was for sure figuring we'd want cars there, it was more of a "if we already have enough cars for our group, what are my options beyond renting an extraneous car." I won't be on my own at all except for getting from home to Golden.

I've seen that Rider Express bus but yeah seems like sort of a pain; I'll bear it in mind but look for other options. Thanks for the tips

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When is your trip? Wife and I will be in Golden skiing Kicking Horse on Feb 22-23.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Is anyone here a Tahoe local? I'm going to be staying in South Lake for a month and was wondering if they wanted to ride together at some point

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Mountain gets a foot of snow and I got a new touring setup, and I'm too sick to enjoy either, ugh.

Residency Evil posted:

A quick question on boots: I got fit for new boots at Boot Mechanic earlier this year and ended up with Salomon S/Pro 130s. I've probably skied about 18 (and a half :v:) days in them so far and they feel like they're a bit too wide on the sides. I made an appointment to get them adjusted, but is that something that's pretty easy to fix?
I was in a somewhat similar boat with an older pair of boots, and the shop put in slight foam and it has worked well for me.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

When is your trip? Wife and I will be in Golden skiing Kicking Horse on Feb 22-23.

I’ll get there March 1st. Bummer, would have been a fun coincidence

The Glumslinger posted:

Is anyone here a Tahoe local? I'm going to be staying in South Lake for a month and was wondering if they wanted to ride together at some point

I am, but up in Truckee. I don’t make it down there terribly often and don’t have any passes but would be game for Palisades, a midweek Sugarbowl, or backcountry

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
2nd best conditions I've seen at MRG this year, unfortunately also vastly the worst lift lines. I managed to drop 4 runs, between waits and having to take an hour and a half mid-day to drive my kid home.

(5 year old) kid seems to be doing much better with private lessons than she had in the chaos of the group lessons she got booted from, and the instructor thinks she might be ready to take her up the lift next time. That will probably mean the main double chair, so I don't really know what path down the mountain they follow but I am sure it is long and fine. She's been all the way to the top of both the single and the double with me, but, that was "skiing" down between my legs. Now that the instructor has her moving on her own, I am gonna chill on that, not take her anywhere crazy, and stick with whatever she can ski on her own. If she wants to do one run down from the top between my legs to get the WHEE FAST COOL, fine, but I need to ween her off that.

I am taking tuesday off work to go back. Maybe thursday, too. And I'll be there Sunday though I may nope out after a couple runs if the lines are like they were today.

Master_Odin posted:

Mountain gets a foot of snow and I got a new touring setup, and I'm too sick to enjoy either, ugh.

condolences man, that sucks :(

I hope you feel better soon, the snow looks like it should stick around for a little bit anyway

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Jay Peak just got like 2 feet dumped on them, I'm not getting there until Wednesday :negative:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

There are too many ski options these days and I’m stuck with analysis paralysis and a pair of brand new and extremely unused alpine boots. I’d get the nomads re-mounted but they’re already 9 years old and have been drilled twice. The Wildcat Tours I got just honestly feel too short and skittish for regular inbounds use; I’m honestly thinking about flipping them and going a size up.

What’s the best double/mustache rocker ski you’d take to the North Face at CB? Maybe just pickup the regular Wildcat 108 for inbounds stuff?

Sadly I don’t have enough free days to demo lots.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 5, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The only good use for a pair of rear entry ski boots.

https://www.tiktok.com/@franklin.and.the.puppy/video/7052692066584825135

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

So tired. 5 days in a row on skis. Tuesday lift serve, it actually snowed a little and I had a nice time on a practically empty hill. My last run of the day was still pow turns.

Sunny over on this side but dumping snow at the top when I left. Wed-thrus would have been good too but I had to get over to the closed down ski area where we were putting on a 2-day race. Wed afternoon Jeff and Jesse and I got a lot of the course figured out and marked.

Thrus night was number 4 in that series and my best one so far, with a 10th place (there are usually 40-50 guys in the "not full skimo" category. Still losing time in transitions but getting better. Frustrating to skin faster than someone, rip skins, ski down, the see them on the way back up before you're even close to ready. But I'm starting to get marginally better.

Our weekend two day thing is part of a state-wide series. Friday was vert race to the top, saturday a pretty short course with laps. Kind of different categories but still a recreational/heavy metal one for a guy like me. Friday's race started at 6pm so we had little led cones out there on the way up and down. Wound up being a 1200ft climb, which was all the room we had available (the mountain is higher but there are multiple property owners now). The thing about that is the timing equipment needs to be at the top, and we had a borrowed snowmobile, so Jesse (who's the timing guy and also a ski tech at the shop) and I, who have never driven a snowmobile, went up. It's all on road, but was still pretty challenging and we drove off twice but not too badly and got it up there after a bit of rocking and shoving. The trip down was better because there was a track and I'd started to get a little bit of a feel for it and Jesse skied down putting cones on the descent for people to follow.

So anyway we raced and the fast guys one the lightweight gear skied away but there was a good pack of us together, surprisingly with me leading Mike, who has been on the podium most thrus nights. The last bit to the top is up an old t-bar cut, straight and steep and Mike came around me then I got boxed out a bit by some other racers we caught, but I managed to get through, back onto his skis, and then out sprinted him at the line. Which turned out to be for the win in the category so that was cool, and there were a bunch of us within like 30s. Smaller turnout than the thurs series, which was a little strange. Figured most of those people would show up.

Then neither Jesse and I felt all that comfortable going back up there in the dark to get the timing stuff so Shaun went, then also got the snowmobile stuck. Jesse and I skinned up with shovels and we got it free and got the stuff packed up and to the bottom and it was warm and the ski back down was pretty nice. I think I was still home by like 9:30 so not too late.

Day 2 had a real skimo racer 5 lap race, then a 3 lap one for the rest of us, then a backcountry film festival starting as we finished with the racing. I found myself on the front at the start and wanted to stay there into the bootpack, which went up a real steep embankment and on some dirt through some bushes. Which I did. Then got my skis back on on faster than Myke (different from Mike from last night) and had a solid lead at the top. Then blew it. By the start of lap 2 climb he was way ahead of me after I did a terrible ski to skin transition right in front of everyone. Lap 2 however was better and the announcers were calling out transition times and I actually got my skins on faster than Myke by a few seconds. It still took me 1:22. The winner of the fast race did one in like 35 seconds. Still too far to close down, and I felt real bad on the 3rd lap climb. Comfortably 2nd though. Then I had to go back up and clean everything up. I didn't have the energy to stick around for the film festival or beers and once everything was put away I left and now I'm going to not move for awhile.

Also my feet feel great. No blisters or sore spots or anything after 4 days in a row in the backlands, all day fri-sat with setup, working, walking around, racing, taking everything apart.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 8, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I left before 6 am Jesus Christ.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
After a few years off, I started doing some backcountry skiing again. My dog approves...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Northeast did pretty well. Some of the best days of the season in New England. They've got enough snow that I've seen avy risk warnings for Mt Mansfield, Mt Washington and NY High Peaks region.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Steve French posted:

I’ll get there March 1st. Bummer, would have been a fun coincidence

I am, but up in Truckee. I don’t make it down there terribly often and don’t have any passes but would be game for Palisades, a midweek Sugarbowl, or backcountry

That sounds good, I'll have some days off during the week and plan to definitely spend some time in the northern side of the lake

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Seems like every resort around here is having lift breakdowns this season. I’m not sure if it’s penny pinching, supply chain, or just old lifts wearing out, but it’s a bummer.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Killington is as good as east coast gets right now. Put down a lot of vert with no lines today

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Withnail posted:

After a few years off, I started doing some backcountry skiing again. My dog approves...

I had to zoom in to figure out how that shape was a dog. Thoroughly enjoying it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I left before 6 am Jesus Christ.

Lol. I looked at traffic as i woke up at 7:00 it was so bad. Made breakfast and was at Breck by 8:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I have a snowboarding technique question that may be dumb or unclear, but I'm going to throw it out. So when you're in the middle of cutting across a trail (I guess in the middle of carving), should there be a lot of pressure on your quads right above your knees (I'm told this is the vastus medialis)? Or is that perhaps a sign that I'm not executing this well?

I've been trying to focus my workouts on my quads lately, but I'm in reasonable shape and still finding that one of the things that is tough about linking turns is that my legs just get destroyed quickly and I run out of steam. It feels like the entire time I'm going down the mountain, whatever I'm doing results in a lot of tension in my quads. I'm thinking maybe a technique correction would help this. But if it's normal, then I'll just keep at the exercises and getting board time (which I'll do anyway).