Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

That's kind of a shame but I suppose with John Witherspoon dead that might be for the better (plus, possible hot take but I did not like the later seasons of Boondocks and did not trust new ones to be good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It just needed to be like Futurama where episodes are completely standalone but occasionally add to an ongoing story, but instead it fell into the trap of needing to tell an ongoing story with real stakes and it just felt completely forced and unnecessary. It's okay for a sitcom to just be a sitcom.

It'd be more tolerable if they ever had those stakes pay off, but the show keeps trying to pile on more and more mysteries while having its principle cast utterly disinterested in the forces that are upending or influencing their lives despite making a big deal out of them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

That's kind of a shame but I suppose with John Witherspoon dead that might be for the better (plus, possible hot take but I did not like the later seasons of Boondocks and did not trust new ones to be good).

Personally I thought the quality fell off a cliff after season 2, and even in the first two seasons the quality was very mixed

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ironslave posted:

It'd be more tolerable if they ever had those stakes pay off, but the show keeps trying to pile on more and more mysteries while having its principle cast utterly disinterested in the forces that are upending or influencing their lives despite making a big deal out of them.

Yeah, I tried to remember what the last season was even about. There was a steampunk city and they hosed around with people wanting to steal the kingdom's magic, I think. At a total loss beyond that. I still watched it though. It is in that weird spot where it's not bad enough for me to turn off but not really good enough to care about.

For the Boondocks, I just want confirmation on whether or not the last season of horrible episodes were just leftover scripts that they had previously decided to not make. Because boy that's the only explanation that made sense to me.

Also I'm just not sure where you'd really go with it now. Shame we won't at least get to see though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HbhQYDBPKU

new satina episode/short. i give the the creators patreon. she makes good poo poo and she was also an artist on smiling friends.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

that's a technical foul

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm, McGruder was gonna be showrunner again. Now I’m a bit sad it was cancelled.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Slightly Absurd posted:

that's a technical foul

yeah. i was hoping it was gonna be full episode 2 but apparently thats coming later this year. so thats cool. also i thought i was the only one who remembered the poo poo scene.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i was hoping it was gonna be full episode 2 but apparently thats coming later this year. so thats cool. also i thought i was the only one who remembered the poo poo scene.

Its hard to forget seeing a weird little man get covered in feces then frozen into a "poopsicle" then later licked free by a bunch of deer who then have poo poo stains on their teeth for the rest of the movie

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

drrockso20 posted:

Its hard to forget seeing a weird little man get covered in feces then frozen into a "poopsicle" then later licked free by a bunch of deer who then have poo poo stains on their teeth for the rest of the movie

It was in all the trailers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

It was in all the trailers.

See I'm probably one of the few fans of Eight Crazy Nights and I'll readily admit to that scene being unnecessarily gross and cruel, mixing two of the movie's big flaws(too many pointless gross scenes and making Whitey and Eleanor too weird and pathetic) into one nasty mix

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think the only people who have even seen Eight Crazy Nights are in this thread

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

Hmm, McGruder was gonna be showrunner again. Now I’m a bit sad it was cancelled.

McGruder hasn't actually done much since Black Jesus I think, but I didn't realize its season 3 was all the way in 2019 while its S2 was in 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

i forgot about the deer, i remember liking the movie when i was 12 because "lol cartoon but swears and edgy humor".

drrockso20 posted:

See I'm probably one of the few fans of Eight Crazy Nights and I'll readily admit to that scene being unnecessarily gross and cruel, mixing two of the movie's big flaws(too many pointless gross scenes and making Whitey and Eleanor too weird and pathetic) into one nasty mix

yeah. like they were too loving weird for the movies own good and everyone was a massive rear end in a top hat until the "iconic Adam Sandler speech" scene where they all feel bad and etc.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The United States posted:

I think the only people who have even seen Eight Crazy Nights are in this thread

We're all here.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Xelkelvos posted:

McGruder hasn't actually done much since Black Jesus I think, but I didn't realize its season 3 was all the way in 2019 while its S2 was in 2015

I didn't even know it had an S3. drat.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

I didn't even know it had an S3. drat.

I feel like that season had some behind the scenes troubles even beyond the loss of Charlie Murphy; at least half the main cast was gone between those two seasons

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ironslave posted:

I know what you mean. There are 500 plot lines and not one has ever been resolved. It's all just so pointless.

But not yet so poo poo that I will not watch it.

Something has to be Star Trek Discovery bad before that happens.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I managed two seasons of Discovery because the second one was so laughably plotted that I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Couldn't be bothered after that, especially when I learned what the basic conceit of season three was and thought, cool, that's exactly what I never wanted out of Star Trek.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The United States posted:

The scene with the Hannaukah card always makes me tear up. There. I said it. The stupid animated Adam Sandler movie makes me feel actual emotions

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There were lots of 90’s Jewish kids who responded to that movie. We didn’t have a lot of representation in cartoons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

There were lots of 90’s Jewish kids who responded to that movie. We didn’t have a lot of representation in cartoons.

Even now there's a real lack of animated Hanukkah movies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know it's crooked Sandler but it's the only game in town

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

he's doing NFTs these days

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember 8 Crazy Nights used to air a lot on Comedy Central back in the day, and I kinda liked it (might've helped that the earlier parts of the movie I seldom actually caught, I don't even remember the poo poo scene). I guess even when I try to remember it fondly, I have to work hard to ignore the bits that were too mean, too gross, or too racist.

There's been a couple of Hannukah Special episodes of TV, I guess most famously Rugrats. Recently the Ghost and Molly McGee took its try and put it up on youtube and I thought it was neat. You could maybe consider some of the deliberately non-religious non-specific winter specials as well.

It also doesn't help that the holidays that are actually more important to judaism aren't exactly...festive, and don't lend themselves well to animated specials. The best is Prince of Egypt for Passover.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember 8 Crazy Nights used to air a lot on Comedy Central back in the day, and I kinda liked it (might've helped that the earlier parts of the movie I seldom actually caught, I don't even remember the poo poo scene). I guess even when I try to remember it fondly, I have to work hard to ignore the bits that were too mean, too gross, or too racist.

There's been a couple of Hannukah Special episodes of TV, I guess most famously Rugrats. Recently the Ghost and Molly McGee took its try and put it up on youtube and I thought it was neat. You could maybe consider some of the deliberately non-religious non-specific winter specials as well.

It also doesn't help that the holidays that are actually more important to judaism aren't exactly...festive, and don't lend themselves well to animated specials. The best is Prince of Egypt for Passover.

Rugrats also did a Passover animated special, and that's even rarer than a Hanukkah animated special.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Eight Crazy Nights is one of those movies that is almost good, but it's held back by certain choices the movie makes(like much of the grossout humor) and being one of those rare cases of a movie being too short for it's own good, at only 76 minutes* it has to rush through its back half(and also results in several characters being heavily underdeveloped), it really could have used an extra 15 to 25 minutes to better flesh things out

*it's funny the difference a few minutes can make, The Iron Giant is only 11 minutes longer but has near perfect pacing

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Rugrats also did a Passover animated special, and that's even rarer than a Hanukkah animated special.

Between Rugrats and Lamb Chop I learned plenty of Hanukkah and Passover songs that deeply annoyed my grandmother who thought that they were corrupting her good Christian grandson :).

Black Jesus Season 3 is just bizarre in general and it does make me wonder if MacGruder still had more Boondocks episodes in him or if they'd suck anyway. Aside from the cast changes and a few actors passing away, the plot just went to really weird fantastical places that felt completely removed from what the first two seasons were trying to do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

was there ever a purim movie?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

:same: I liked all the characters, the "That's a technical foul" song, and the heartwarming ending but not all that stuff

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

20 years later I still get the Bum Biddy Biddy Bum Bum stuck in my head

https://youtu.be/FQjvyy8gOS0

The animation in this is way better than I remembered. I might have to go back and give this a watch.

Speaking of Adam Sandler and Hanukkah, one of these years I'm going to make good on my promise of making an ugly Hanukkah sweater that will be covered in dreidels and the words Fine Looking Jew

The Hanukkah song slaps, ya'all :colbert:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 8, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It is VERY well-animated and looks real good when it's not being gross, and it really does a good job of converting Adam Sandler into cartoon form. There might be rotoscoping as part of that.

And there is a real nice emotional core to the movie. I think it helps that Adam Sandler's character is explicitly the villain for most of it, so when he's being mean, the movie punishes him for it, and when he repents, it means more.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I was in 6th or 7th grade when this came out and I remember my fellow 13-year-olds thinking this movie was unnecessarily gross. Because seriously, the good stuff in this movie is real, real good. Unfortunately the bad stuff is real, real bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

Eight Crazy Nights is one of those movies that is almost good, but it's held back by certain choices the movie makes
This might be the greatest encapsulation of a large stretch of Adam Sandler's career.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Happy Landfill posted:

20 years later I still get the Bum Biddy Biddy Bum Bum stuck in my head

https://youtu.be/FQjvyy8gOS0

The animation in this is way better than I remembered. I might have to go back and give this a watch.

Speaking of Adam Sandler and Hanukkah, one of these years I'm going to make good on my promise of making an ugly Hanukkah sweater that will be covered in dreidels and the words Fine Looking Jew

The Hanukkah song slaps, ya'all :colbert:

That clip has me right on the edge of rewatching the whole movie

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*sighs and draws katana with "add to Up Next" button on it*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

The scene with the Hannaukah card always makes me tear up. There. I said it. The stupid animated Adam Sandler movie makes me feel actual emotions

nah, i get that way too with moments like that in movies. obviously not a bad thing but its still weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat I loving LOVED the rugrats Hanukkah special.

I also really loved the Hey Arnold Christmas special because it was, like, maybe the only time I’d ever seen war openly depicted in a childrens cartoon. It’s really sad and dramatic and extremely heartfelt for an otherwise deeply surreal cartoon.

Hey Arnold felt like what I THOUGHT good cartoons would be more like, but it was really a precursor to the Adult Swim style “wacky house full of characters” style of weekly show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey Arnold also did a Veterans' Day special where both of the veterans it celebrated were non-combatants. I guess the show was largely about the sides of things most people don't think about, including war. Very weird show.