Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ExplodingChef posted:

I'm starting to look at trading in and replacing my Kia Soul (because I live in Milwaukee and I'm sick of replacing windows and expecting my car to be gone whenever I go to the store).

Even with exactly every single bell and whistle I'm looking for and a pretty decent price, I'm guessing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with 120k miles is probably a terrible idea?

Can I be the first to say I am confused by your requirements and reason for trading in the Soul? In terms of what would be different about the Jeep. Maybe just me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

Inner Light posted:

Can I be the first to say I am confused by your requirements and reason for trading in the Soul? In terms of what would be different about the Jeep. Maybe just me though.

Milwaukee has had a ridiculous uptick in the number of cars stolen in the last year or two -- think 250% increase, and 2/3 of them are Kias and Hyundais. There's a couple of major security flaws in the non-push-start models and they take about 2 minutes to steal, 3 if you've got a Club on.

Google "Kia Boyz" and it'll explain it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So you want to sell your car because that particular car is easier to steal?

Edit:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43454/why-milwaukee-might-sue-hyundai-kia-over-stolen-car-epidemic

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 6, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

As you mentioned, What it used to be, at least where the name came from, is carburetor tuning, an art of rapidly-diminishing need.

Probably other general preventative maintenance things were done, but that's the basis of the "tuning." Without that, it's an ambiguous term at best I think.

Or there is some secret meaning I don't know.

I've heard of them doing injector cleaning and other snakeoil scams under the tuning umbrella

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Injector cleaning is one of those things that some people(both pros and DIY-ers) swear by, and other people think is largely useless. I fall into the its mostly a placebo category, but I dont feel strongly enough to argue about it.

With the fleet I manage, we do a tune up at 100K miles, its plugs, a transmission spill-and-fill(and filter if its replaceable), fuel filter if it has one, and coolant change. We have pretty pedestrian vehicles, though, being a government fleet.

I did notice that were going to have to get one of those walnut shell intake blaster setups because the intake valve deposits are horrible on the 3.5 Ecoboost DI engines, and well probably do that every 100K as well.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
"Tune up" means inspection and replacement of most consumable and wear items. It's like a wellness check of all the items you've neglected over the years. The list may include sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap, pcv, battery and wire terminals, belts, air and fuel filter, dry rotted vacuum hoses, cabin air filter, wipers and complete fluids and brakes check.

There's no such thing as a flat rate tune up, because the price for the actual work will vary wildly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Back when I had my old Mazda, it was: Air filter cleaning (K&N), plugs, wires, PCV valve, cap and rotor. Fuel filter was a real motherfucker to change so I did that like every 3rd "tune up" or so. I'm sure in the older days it was like the other goon said, points, condensor, setting the dwell, adjusting timing and whatnot.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Injector cleaning is one of those things that some people(both pros and DIY-ers) swear by, and other people think is largely useless. I fall into the its mostly a placebo category, but I dont feel strongly enough to argue about it.

With the fleet I manage, we do a tune up at 100K miles, its plugs, a transmission spill-and-fill(and filter if its replaceable), fuel filter if it has one, and coolant change. We have pretty pedestrian vehicles, though, being a government fleet.

I did notice that were going to have to get one of those walnut shell intake blaster setups because the intake valve deposits are horrible on the 3.5 Ecoboost DI engines, and well probably do that every 100K as well.

FWIW, I had the dealer try to sell me a service for my '09 Corolla. I forget how they described it, "injector flushing and 'de-carbonization' of combustion chamber" or some poo poo like that. As one who is fairly skeptical of such things I didn't bother for a while, after they started trying to sell it to me, which was I think about 160,000km (100,000 miles). I figured that a can of seafoam or other injector cleaner every so often was good enough. At a certain point I got sick of them recommending it to me. This was probably somewhere about 200,000km so I had it done, and I have to admit, while very skeptical that it would do anything it did clear up a bunch of shaking that the engine/car would do when I came to a stop.

If I was coming to a stop sign, or traffic light etc, I'd throw the car in neutral, let out the clutch and as the engine rpm dropped, it would go way down, start shaking and shuddering for several seconds before going back up and there were other times when it would randomly happen just sitting stopped like at a drive thru or places like that. It would never stall, but it would shake and shudder. As skeptical as I was about the service, I noticed as soon as I picked up the car, that that stopped immediately.

I know this is purely anecdotal, but thats how it happened for me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How important is it when I buy a used car from a dealership that I get it inspected by a mechanic before purchasing? And when I say dealership, I mean from a place that sells it with some kind of initial three month warranty.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How important is it when I buy a used car from a dealership that I get it inspected by a mechanic before purchasing? And when I say dealership, I mean from a place that sells it with some kind of initial three month warranty.

Imporant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

They are just buying cars from auction and maybe checking fluids before and paying someone to "detail" them before they go on the lot. They don't know anything more about that car than you do. Those warranties are cheap and nearly useless.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

drat it.

Why can't this be easy?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

drat it.

Why can't this be easy?

Some places, like CarMax, have both a 24-hour test drive and a full return policy (within some number of days), so you can use that time to have it inspected, and return it if there's anything fucky. You pay more than you would with private sellers, but the convenience may be worth the additional cost if car shopping usually makes you anxious.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shine posted:

Some places, like CarMax, have both a 24-hour test drive and a full return policy (within some number of days), so you can use that time to have it inspected, and return it if there's anything fucky. You pay more than you would with private sellers, but the convenience may be worth the additional cost if car shopping usually makes you anxious.

On the other hand, a really good sorting mechanism for both private sellers and lots is asking them if you can take it to/have them take it to <insert respected independent local shop here> for a pre purchase inspection. For private sellers in particular the reaction to that question is probalby more telling than the PPI you would have gotten.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Shine posted:

Good call.

Motronic posted:

On the other hand, a really good sorting mechanism for both private sellers and lots is asking them if you can take it to/have them take it to <insert respected independent local shop here> for a pre purchase inspection. For private sellers in particular the reaction to that question is probalby more telling than the PPI you would have gotten.

How complicated is it to get a pre-purchase inspection for a car from a dealer? Should I just ask them to take it to the whatever dealership for an inspection? How long does this usually take, cost and does it need to be scheduled in advance?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
The scheduling is the tricky part nowadays, at least if you care where you have the PPI done. For example my local Porsche/VW performance shop is scheduled weeks out. For something less specific it should be easier, but you still might need to call multiple shops to get something available on short notice

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How complicated is it to get a pre-purchase inspection for a car from a dealer? Should I just ask them to take it to the whatever dealership for an inspection? How long does this usually take, cost and does it need to be scheduled in advance?

Whatever INDEPENDENT MECHANIC/SHOP, that you will need to find in advance and schedule with.

Dealership service, with few exceptions, is garbage. I'm not going to get into the financials and outcomes of flat rate, etc here because it's not relevant. But you should ask around and find a good local indy. It took me less than a day to determine "where do I send my daughter's car for service while she's at school" in a city 6 hour away that I'd been to a handful of times from googling around and making some phone calls. That's the kind of place you want to find local to you and talk to them about what you want to do/buy and how they can work with the local dealerships/sellers to accommodate that.

Tyro posted:

The scheduling is the tricky part nowadays, at least if you care where you have the PPI done. For example my local Porsche/VW performance shop is scheduled weeks out. For something less specific it should be easier, but you still might need to call multiple shops to get something available on short notice

My local well-known VW/Porsche shop is Fabspeed. Just lol at trying to get anything in there inside of several months.

Fortunately there are many other very good (and probably even better for a PPI) options.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

Fortunately there are many other very good (and probably even better for a PPI) options.

Yup. The good local shop that family had been using for a couple decades would have been perfectly fine for a PPI... luckily the failson who ran it into the ground got fired and pops took it back over. So I miiiiiiight give them another chance after they made the Land Cruiser catch fire with my kids in it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nitrox posted:

"Tune up" means inspection and replacement of most consumable and wear items. It's like a wellness check of all the items you've neglected over the years. The list may include sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap, pcv, battery and wire terminals, belts, air and fuel filter, dry rotted vacuum hoses, cabin air filter, wipers and complete fluids and brakes check.

There's no such thing as a flat rate tune up, because the price for the actual work will vary wildly.

There's still a few newish cars that still need a valve adjustment. My 2013 Mazda 2 needs a valve adjustment (or at least a check) at 75k per the manual.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The old Mercedes SOHC V8 and V12 engines used distributors and were around for longer than people think. The most expensive V12 S-class still had a distributor until like 1999.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The old Mercedes SOHC V8 and V12 engines used distributors and were around for longer than people think. The most expensive V12 S-class still had a distributor until like 1999.

4.0 Jeeps held onto distributors until 1999-2000 depending on model, the 2.5L Wrangler still had one through 2002 (and was replaced by the 2.4L Neon engine in 2003).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A thing many "tune-ups" include, but typical owners almost never bother with or even know they should do, is add lube to door hood and trunk hinges, latches, wiper pivot points, etc. Modern cars have fewer and fewer actual "grease points" (used to have zerks and you were supposed to regularly grease things like ball joints and tie rod ends and so on), these days they're mostly "permanently" greased at the factory, but depending on make/model there can still be a few things you're supposed to grease a bit every fifty k or whatever.

There can also be some random stuff you wouldn't even think of. My VW's 40k mi maintenance schedule includes "inspect tire repair kit sealant" which nobody but a dealership will bother with and you probably shouldn't ever use that poo poo anyway, but it's on the drat schedule so if you're paying (through the nose) for dealership scheduled maintenance, by golly you should get some fresh tire sealant! They should also inspect the "constant velocity joint boots" whatever the gently caress those are (Ohhh, "CV joints", I forgot what those letters stood for), and replace the transfer case fluid, which... oh yeah, that needs doing.

They use "tune-up" because normal non-car-enthusiast people will use that term when they mean "do the scheduled maintenance", it's just sticking around.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 9, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

replace the transfer case fluid, which... oh yeah, that needs doing.

My boss sells one of our old work trucks "well maintained, all service records"

10 years of oil change receipts, still the original power steering fluid, brake fluid, trans/transfer case and diff. Coolant is 9 years old because someone poked a hole in the rad a year after we got the thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair, even if they changed the oil once and still have that receipt, "all service records" is true and also a warning.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

So, my wife is on an environmental kick and wants to replace both of our cars with new EVs. New because given where pricing is on used vs new right now, and the federal/state (VA) incentives it makes a bit more sense we think? We also just got offered 85% of original MSRP for a 4 year old car that needs body work, so that's pretty neat.

Proposed Budget: $50kish pre-credit per vehicle. (VA incentive caps at 55k so that's the hard cap per vehicle)
New or Used: New
Body Style: SUVish or maybe a 'bigger' sedan; needs to be able to fit a rear-facing car seat (& child booster) without squishing a tall person in the front seat.
How will you be using the car?: Daily drivers; Mostly we drive to daycare and/or work. Our commutes are not super long; though daycare is in the opposite direction so those days are probably 50ish minutes each way for me. Her commute is mostly highway. We never drive 'too' far; our furthest trips are like ~2-300 miles.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes, we do.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): Wife is big on the environment so she wants to move to EVs. Not really interested in plug-in either unless there's a convincing reason to prefer them.

Safety features are very important as well. One of the two vehicles needs to have enough trunk space for 4 people to be able to travel with all their various luggage for a weekish somewhere.

Neither of our vehicles needs to be replaced with something immediately if there's a good reason to wait and/or cars are back ordered.

We've looked at:
Ford Mustang Mach-e, VW ID.4, polestar 2

and have:
Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 on the list to look at still.

Are there other cars we've missed that we should be looking at?

Zauper fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 9, 2022

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My wife is agitating for a new car for the family, and I need some advice on what cars to look at. We have two kids, aged 3 and 7 mos. We've been using the Peugeot 107 I bought used for cheap when I finished school 5 years ago, which is fine for my needs, but increasingly could use a new car to transport the kids and as a daily driver. My wife's parental leave finishes May 1st, mine in July, so we have decent time before we need a second car.

New or Used: used
Body Style: I'm looking for something the size of a corolla/civic/golf/focus.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, short 10-20 km commute. Occasional road trips ~ 100-200 km. Want to be able to tow a trailer
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, low cost of ownership, good safety rating.
I'm in Denmark

I don't really need bells and whistles, mostly the only thing I end up wishing I had is cruise control. Not really a big infotainment fan, but I don't know if it's even possible to buy a car without it these days.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Model Y, XC40 Recharge if you want something SUVish

E: that was intended for Zauper lol.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 10, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zauper posted:

So, my wife is on an environmental kick and wants to replace both of our cars with new EVs. New because given where pricing is on used vs new right now, and the federal/state (VA) incentives it makes a bit more sense we think? We also just got offered 85% of original MSRP for a 4 year old car that needs body work, so that's pretty neat.

Proposed Budget: $50kish pre-credit per vehicle. (VA incentive caps at 55k so that's the hard cap per vehicle)
Body Style: SUVish or maybe a 'bigger' sedan; needs to be able to fit a rear-facing car seat (& child booster) without squishing a tall person in the front seat.
How will you be using the car?: Daily drivers; Mostly we drive to daycare and/or work. Our commutes are not super long; though daycare is in the opposite direction so those days are probably 50ish minutes each way for me. Her commute is mostly highway. We never drive 'too' far; our furthest trips are like ~2-300 miles.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): Wife is big on the environment so she wants to move to EVs. Not really interested in plug-in either unless there's a convincing reason to prefer them.

Safety features are very important as well. One of the two vehicles needs to have enough trunk space for 4 people to be able to travel with all their various luggage for a weekish somewhere.

Neither of our vehicles needs to be replaced with something immediately if there's a good reason to wait and/or cars are back ordered.

We've looked at:

and have:

i suggest you buy One EV first and see how you like it. you probably will, but i'm not sure you should plan to go full boat on both

also the least environmentally friendly thing you can do is buy a new car regardless of its fuel source; food for thought

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Zauper posted:

We've looked at:

and have:

Have you thought about where you're going to charge these cars? Unless the area you're going to is really good with electric chargers, you'll need to plan out your route with this in mind or rent a car for these trips.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Have you thought about where you're going to charge these cars? Unless the area you're going to is really good with electric chargers, you'll need to plan out your route with this in mind or rent a car for these trips.

I mean, depends heavily on what that 200-300 mile trip truly looks like and what they're doing when they get there. That's right at the upper limit of range for any of these cars to do without any charging, but even a short stop at a fast charger partway through the trip would provide enough range to cover it. Or if 300 miles is round trip, a charge station of any capacity for a few hours could be enough to get back home.

I'm not at a point where I'd jump in with an electric-only garage if you have needs and room for more than one car, but "how to take a road trip with an EV" is an increasingly-solved problem, and not just with "rent a gasser".

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also the least environmentally friendly thing you can do is buy a new car regardless of its fuel source; food for thought

Please please please keep this in mind.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Zauper posted:

Pacifica Hybrid and a Kia Niro EV. Buy the Pacifica, lease the Niro.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 10, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Hello 2011 range anxiety :allears:

I mean yeah I guess if you live in rural Mississippi it might be an issue but if you live near any major population center this is a solved problem

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

Please please please keep this in mind.

Yeah but how else can you justify two new car purchases when your old ones work

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Struensee posted:

My wife is agitating for a new car for the family, and I need some advice on what cars to look at. We have two kids, aged 3 and 7 mos. We've been using the Peugeot 107 I bought used for cheap when I finished school 5 years ago, which is fine for my needs, but increasingly could use a new car to transport the kids and as a daily driver. My wife's parental leave finishes May 1st, mine in July, so we have decent time before we need a second car.

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, short 10-20 km commute. Occasional road trips ~ 100-200 km. Want to be able to tow a trailer
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, low cost of ownership, good safety rating.
I'm in Denmark

So you say you could use a new car but then you want to buy used?
What is your budget?
Are you going to keep to car for long?

For two kids I would look for estate model. Golf/Octavia are good but I would be a bit nervous of their DSG transmission in the long run. I would recommend one with manual transmission. If you need to buy automatic and keep it for long I would look for Corolla hybrid.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i suggest you buy One EV first and see how you like it. you probably will, but i'm not sure you should plan to go full boat on both

Unless they have particularly efficent cars, i think an EV would turn out better (at least in terms of CO2) pretty quickly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2IKCdnzl5k

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah but how else can you justify two new car purchases when your old ones work
Well actually it's the two cars that's the problem. So instead of two lovely cars, OP, get one Taycan Cross Turismo!

Struensee posted:

I'm in Denmark

I don't really need bells and whistles, mostly the only thing I end up wishing I had is cruise control. Not really a big infotainment fan, but I don't know if it's even possible to buy a car without it these days.
Do you have to park in the city? I recently got a Honda Jazz as a beater/race car and it's pretty amazing in how much you can fit in it considering its size. Otherwise any of the cars you listed would be fine, that's the standard EU family car.

Have you looked at electric? I've no idea what the incentives are in Denmark but it might make sense considering your crazy taxes. Something like the Leaf might do I think. Definitely lower TCO.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 10, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do not believe Tesla's numbers on CO2 output per vehicle in production. If you look at the chart referenced, CO2 output in the production phase changes based on whether you charge the car at home using solar or not. That is... absolutely incorrect. And anyway, this is CO2 only - not even getting in to the environmental impact of mining battery components or disposing of them after end of life.

The breakeven point is heavily based on VMT and fuel economy of current car. If you're replacing a four year old fuel efficient vehicle, and you don't drive all that much, that breakeven is a long way off.

Anyway if you plan to buy a new car anyway, it's a good idea to explore going electric. I just really am annoyed by a certain subset of "environmentalists" which are depressingly common near me: people who think they can consume their way to environmental friendliness.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do not believe Tesla's numbers on CO2 output per vehicle in production. If you look at the chart referenced, CO2 output in the production phase changes based on whether you charge the car at home using solar or not. That is... absolutely incorrect. And anyway, this is CO2 only - not even getting in to the environmental impact of mining battery components or disposing of them after end of life.

The breakeven point is heavily based on VMT and fuel economy of current car. If you're replacing a four year old fuel efficient vehicle, and you don't drive all that much, that breakeven is a long way off.

Anyway if you plan to buy a new car anyway, it's a good idea to explore going electric. I just really am annoyed by a certain subset of "environmentalists" which are depressingly common near me: people who think they can consume their way to environmental friendliness.

Yeah, so, to back up:

We need to replace our current vehicles because they don't work for us. Since we got the most recent of them we've had two kids. The four year old porsche doesn't fit the infant car seat and the toddler can't sit in her booster without her feet being in the rear end of the driver, and the 12 year old rav4 works but is getting up there in age and is starting to have issues; it just failed the state emissions inspection, and the heat doesn't really work which is not great for driving two kids in but it has to be the daily driver because the kids don't fit in the porsche.

Ultimately the choice is between buying used cars (new to us) or new cars. Given the pricing for recent used cars, I'd rather be buying a new car. If we're buying a new car, she'd rather be in an EV. This is less a 'hey we want to be environmentalist so we're going to sell our cars and move to EVs' and more 'we've tried this for a year, it's not working for us so we need to replace the cars' as the starting point.

quote:

Not really a concern for this usage; we'll put in a charger at home, we're in DC and mostly drive up to NYC, or down to the outer banks and either way there's good charger coverage.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I vaguely remember somebody referring to environmental impact of the average car in this thread. And most of that impact was from the car being built, not driven afterwards. Is that still true?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zauper posted:

Yeah, so, to back up:

We need to replace our current vehicles because they don't work for us. Since we got the most recent of them we've had two kids. The four year old porsche doesn't fit the infant car seat and the toddler can't sit in her booster without her feet being in the rear end of the driver, and the 12 year old rav4 works but is getting up there in age and is starting to have issues; it just failed the state emissions inspection, and the heat doesn't really work which is not great for driving two kids in but it has to be the daily driver because the kids don't fit in the porsche.

Ultimately the choice is between buying used cars (new to us) or new cars. Given the pricing for recent used cars, I'd rather be buying a new car. If we're buying a new car, she'd rather be in an EV. This is less a 'hey we want to be environmentalist so we're going to sell our cars and move to EVs' and more 'we've tried this for a year, it's not working for us so we need to replace the cars' as the starting point.

Not really a concern for this usage; we'll put in a charger at home, we're in DC and mostly drive up to NYC, or down to the outer banks and either way there's good charger coverage.

Are you intending to buy one new EV or two? It's still a little ambiguous to me. But if you're going for one, yeah, go for it. There's a lot more new stuff coming down the pipe, though. I'd advocate leasing any new EV still, since the tech is pretty fast moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I vaguely remember somebody referring to environmental impact of the average car in this thread. And most of that impact was from the car being built, not driven afterwards. Is that still true?

I looked into it and that's very not true. Even the most conservative estimates put a car being built at around 20-30% of the total CO2 emissions, given modern car life cycles. Obviously, crushing your 1 year old car into a cube and buying a new EV is probably not the most environmentally friendly thing you can do, and at the same time, buying an EV just for someone else to drive your old car as much as you did is a wash, but the actual driving part matters and is by far the largest slice of the pie. I did an effortpost at some point but I don't remember what thread it was.