Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

It was fun watching the team walk ins for the opening ceremony and for Russia and China the commentators were like 'oh, here comes an evil country, let me list the ways'. Israel walks in *crickets*

and Saudi Arabia!

my big crack ping moment was last Olympics they talked at length about the "massive unrest" in Cuba. then Lebanon walked in, and nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Vomik posted:

how do people handle this obvious cognitive dissonance??? I was so stupefied i just stood there pointing at the screen, shaking my head, and looking around for others sympathetic to the brain breaking happening.

lets say hypothetically china really is carrying out a holocaust on uyghurs (they aren't) - if they succeeded they wouldn't even surpass us for total number of muslims killed

The jingoistic Sinophobia in the Olympics broadcasts is pretty remarkable- openly rooting against Chinese athletes, prompting US athletes to grump about covid precautions, anti-China hit pieces book-ending media coverage of the events.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Tricky D posted:

When Iran starts smuggling weapons to the Houthis across the Caspian Sea, all of the world's navies will be obsolete. Terrifying poo poo.

Braggins
May 21, 2020

No, it's Braggins, not... dammit

Wasn't the Starship Troopers novel unironically pro-fascism?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Braggins posted:

Yup.

https://twitter.com/Sappo7/status/1490402062571556871

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Braggins posted:

It describes a Fascist utopia. Strange in a Strange Land describes a Communist utopia and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress a Libertarian utopia.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also on the same topic, highly recommend "The Old Iron Dream" by David Forbes, and his interview on Radio War Nerd which is a fantastic episode.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

There it is

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fame Douglas posted:

It describes a Fascist utopia. Strange in a Strange Land describes a Communist utopia and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress a Libertarian utopia.

...is Stranger that 'communist'? Most of the 'utiopia' is rigidly theocratic and based on Heinlein getting his weird sex poo poo worked out (orgies and free love is good as long as it's with me and no homos can do it, pretty much).

It feels like his utopian visions have been fascist, libertarian, and weird theocracy libertarian.

Almost as if he was just a huge shithead who lacked any actual imagination.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

please explain how stranger in a strange land describes a communist utopia

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Feb 6, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1490341847117582336

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radirot posted:

is this old news?

what’s that for, jeni’s intern auditions?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

does the US pay someone at voice of America to try and be this cool on Chinese language social media

if so, how hilariously does it backfire

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

stranger in a strange land describes a sex cult run by a man with superpowers

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

farnhams freehold or i will fear no evil are the two craziest heinlein books ive read. to sail beyond the sunset has an unbelievably insane plot summary on wikipedia, as well

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

hobbesmaster posted:

does the US pay someone at voice of America to try and be this cool on Chinese language social media

what do you think matty does for a living lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

I am shocked that the libertarian with ~opinions~ on incestuous pedophilia would do that

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

i get a monthly stipend for making a few posts a day on ZunZuneo, it's not great but it's a living

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

to sail beyond the sunset has an unbelievably insane plot summary on wikipedia, as well

:pwn:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelje%C5%A1ac_Bridge

Croatia built a big rear end bridge recently, with the winning bid from China being 80% of what European companies bid at, and a promise to complete it 6 months faster.

If I heard an American firm promise that, I'd assume it's a death trap

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will say that the fosterite church in stranger in a strange land is a very prescient vision of what american protestantism would become lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

lobster shirt posted:

Yeah it was a fun read. Probably not a good text to lay your moral foundation on though.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

KomradeX posted:

Don't worry, American firms promise that and then "unavoidable cost overruns" make it take 300% of the worst case cost scenario and a death trap.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

sometimes right wing fiction is instructive, like how Robert Silverberg's The World Inside is about how liberals are credential-obsessed perverts

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

She's bribing Joe

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's a shame that NBC News' need to smuggle a corporate International Politics 101 into the March of Athletes came at the expense of giving athletes from affected teams the same amount of discussion as others, including athletes from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Ukraine. I didn't disagree with what they said, but it was not a good time for it.

During the Belarus segment, I expected them to talk about its dire human rights record because they're not a U.S. ally, but they talked about how a former athlete is coaching for China instead.

edit: They talked about Iran's team the same way as for most countries as well

edit: added Ukraine ^

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Feb 7, 2022

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I've heard of unconscious bias before, it's hardly a new concept, my point is that I don't understand it because it doesn't make much sense. How does one have an unconscious belief? I think that the phenomenon being described is something that people consciously experience: you consciously experience having a negative emotional reaction, or predicting whatever negative behavior, and then suppress those feelings because you believe they're racist or whatever is applicable to your reaction. The "unconscious belief" is really a prediction of what to expect based on previous experiences.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
D&D is full of smart people who understand what they’re talking about, that’s for sure.

[Edit: According to Webster’s dictionary, “charisma” means…]

sombrero
Oct 1, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I mean any private firm promising something there an outlier is probably a deathtrap

In the US, basically everything is a death trap

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

She's bribing Joe

lol

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

That doesn't really sound imminent does it?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/carterforva/status/1490469216742428672

another big miss from Lee

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
doing the dominos pizza tracker, but for war

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds like we need to elect Democrats, because you don't change horses while streaming!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
russia has reached 70% of war

https://youtu.be/YHv5jgXz9I8

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
We all know how progress bars work. We could be sitting around, like chumps, watching the little hourglass turn over for hours before the last 30% of Russian troops load.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

spacemang_spliff posted:

I really should have gone into journalism you can pretty much say whatever dumb poo poo pops into your mind and someone will hand you a bag of cash with a dollar sign on it

Unless you are critical to either Israel or Capitalism.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ex post facho posted:

900,000 dead, but many Americans move on

:shrug:

calculators got way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tricky D posted:

We all know how progress bars work. We could be sitting around, like chumps, watching the little hourglass turn over for hours before the last 30% of Russian troops load.

https://i.imgur.com/0bcxA2f.gifv