Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Make sure you get the Silca computer mount for your donger stem

Did they model this thing in the holodeck or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Did they model this thing in the holodeck or something?

The orignal photos were weird, shot with boudoir lightning for some reason I can’t fathom. They had a meltdown about all the memes.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Anything I need to be wary of buying second hand carbon road wheels? Disk brake.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Man I got the free tuneup from my lbs and now my brake pads are rattling around lol

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

A MIRACLE posted:

Man I got the free tuneup from my lbs and now my brake pads are rattling around lol

Sounds like you overpaid

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah they’re the premier hipster shop in LA lol. You know the one

There’s a newer lbs that opened up on sunset it’s a little closer to me and I’m gonna take my business there if I need something done that I can’t do for whatever reason

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah they’re the premier hipster shop in LA lol. You know the one

There’s a newer lbs that opened up on sunset it’s a little closer to me and I’m gonna take my business there if I need something done that I can’t do for whatever reason

The best work that'll ever get done on your bike is the work you do yourself. It might take 10x as long and cost 5x as much money, but you'll get there eventually if you keep trying.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I only took it in cause I thought my bb was shot and couldn’t clean the quicksand out. Which they did do a good job of. I don’t really know if there’s anything outside my wheelhouse wrt regular bike poo poo. But I’m going to put the honjo fenders on this next week or so hopefully I don’t gently caress it up too much

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

A MIRACLE posted:

I only took it in cause I thought my bb was shot and couldn’t clean the quicksand out. Which they did do a good job of. I don’t really know if there’s anything outside my wheelhouse wrt regular bike poo poo. But I’m going to put the honjo fenders on this next week or so hopefully I don’t gently caress it up too much

Take your time, measure twice, drill once.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i bought that focus frame and holy poo poo this thing is sick. PO was an extremely nice older gentleman who only put 300 miles on it and tore the components off it to do something else (??!). gave me a bag with a shitload of all the misc parts, labeled with a loving labelmaker (like my dad does).

even after he sold it to me he got home and wrote up a huge email about buying a tool to remove the wheelsmfg bottom bearing, and a big writeup of how to remove the wedge plug from the front fork. what a boss.

in the pics the frame looks like its painted black and white but the black is actually a semi-transparent clear paint over the weave which you can only see in the sunlight. owns.

PO said it's di2 capable so thats what i'll go with unless i find a deal on ultegra mechanical components.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Shake down cruise and longer day. Probably 70k, which should be 70 miles but ah, it was soft..

Ebikes, or add training weight

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

bicievino posted:

Take your time, measure twice, drill once.

Measure with micrometre
Mark with chalk
Cut with axe

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Lol awful app doesn’t work for iPhone photos anymore? How do I post bike piss I mean pics

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol awful app doesn’t work for iPhone photos anymore? How do I post bike piss I mean pics

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Lol I know

It says Imgur error 1003

Didn’t we used to have a pancake pics or something that didn’t need Imgur?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

After cleaning my chain and casette and re-lubing I went for a ride a week or two later and the smaller 2-3 cogs were making a creaky noise. Any idea? Have ridden this bike just a half dozen times so far.

It was poo poo weather so i cleaned the whole bike again anyway, but maybe I did something wrong.

Cleaned the whole bike with soapy water, rinsed off. Then ran the chain through a Parktool cyclone 5.3 filled with degreaser. After that rinsed it off with water, ran it through a cloth to dry, then applied wax lube on the chain, let it sit in for a minute or two and then ran the chain through a clean cloth again to remove excess.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol I know

It says Imgur error 1003

Isn't the iPhone using a new image format/file extension that's not fully supported outside of the Apple ecosystem?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol I know

It says Imgur error 1003

It’s dumb as hell but try this, it always works for me when I get that error.

Go to photos, select the photo you want, hit the share icon in the bottom left, do copy photo then back in the awful app long press, select [img] then hit paste instead.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dictator. posted:

After cleaning my chain and casette and re-lubing I went for a ride a week or two later and the smaller 2-3 cogs were making a creaky noise. Any idea? Have ridden this bike just a half dozen times so far.

It was poo poo weather so i cleaned the whole bike again anyway, but maybe I did something wrong.

Cleaned the whole bike with soapy water, rinsed off. Then ran the chain through a Parktool cyclone 5.3 filled with degreaser. After that rinsed it off with water, ran it through a cloth to dry, then applied wax lube on the chain, let it sit in for a minute or two and then ran the chain through a clean cloth again to remove excess.

If you've got a quick release axle loosen it with the wheels on the floor then re tighten.

It sounds like its creaking from the rear drop outs and you're only noticing when in the smallest cogs as thats when you're putting a lot of load through the bike. Happens a lot on QR bikes if its not fully in the drop outs.

Could be the same if you have a through axle but I've never owned one of those so couldnt say for sure.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

serious gaylord posted:

If you've got a quick release axle loosen it with the wheels on the floor then re tighten.

It sounds like its creaking from the rear drop outs and you're only noticing when in the smallest cogs as thats when you're putting a lot of load through the bike. Happens a lot on QR bikes if its not fully in the drop outs.

Could be the same if you have a through axle but I've never owned one of those so couldnt say for sure.

i'll give it a try, thanks.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

A MIRACLE posted:

__________ waffleimages

:goonsay:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
if you're using wax lube don't wipe off the excess just let it dry

at least, I think most I've seen say just apply, run it through the range of gears so that it can work its way into the rollers, then let it dry

It's not really as important to wipe off the excess since wax is a dry lube and any extra will just flake off rather than attract dirt

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
One possibility is the degreaser never really got flushed out when he rinsed it with water. Another is cure time. Wax really needs several hours to cure/dry. If using an older wax drip like Squirt with its water-based carrier, it might need half a day depending on climate.

When I apply lube, I ignore the instructions on the bottle. I put one drop on each roller along a section of chain, then run my finger over the chain a couple times. Then backpedal the chain to another section and repeat as needed. Then I’ll backpedal the chain gently for about a minute to work lube in deeper as the chain links articulate. For best penetration, it helps to be cross-chained.

Or it’s not the lube/chain at all and the cassette isn’t torqued down enough something.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
https://twitter.com/ihateskald/status/1490879651614715907?t=0rKHKrqHheZsvuSZJt6mOA&s=19

The drat truth for me over the last year.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been doing 10-40km every week just getting around and my caloric maintenance has shot through the roof

I have a history being underweight due to overactive metabolism, and while not as bad as it has been, I am having to resort to midnight liters of milks and handfuls of peanuts to maintain my healthy weight range

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jestery posted:

I've been doing 10-40km every week just getting around and my caloric maintenance has shot through the roof

I have a history being underweight due to overactive metabolism, and while not as bad as it has been, I am having to resort to midnight liters of milks and handfuls of peanuts to maintain my healthy weight range
Say "hi" to your tapeworm for me.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jestery posted:

I think you are vastly overestimating the kJ/kcal involved in cycling, or exercise in general.

If I ride 40km in one hour, which is pretty fast, I will have burned maybe 950kcal. Spreading that out over 7 days and that’s like half a Nature’s Bakery fig bar a day.

Now I doubt you’re doing anywhere close to 40km/h or doing 40km every week since you stated a range of 10-40km. If you are riding 20km/h, then you might burn 450kcal in 40km. That’s 3 cans of Coke…spread over a week.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

But what if I ride at 40mph for two hours a day every day?? Then I can eat like a dumpster, right?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When I did that distance and climbing challenge thing my eating was pretty hilarious. Breakfast at home. Go get a pastry an hour or two into work. Lunch. Afternoon lunch. snacks on ride. Pizza on way home. Dinner at home. I still lost like 5-8lbs during those two months. But, uh, it was like 400mi, 30hrs, 40k feet of climbing a week.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

I think you are vastly overestimating the kJ/kcal involved in cycling, or exercise in general.

If I ride 40km in one hour, which is pretty fast, I will have burned maybe 950kcal. Spreading that out over 7 days and that’s like half a Nature’s Bakery fig bar a day.

Now I doubt you’re doing anywhere close to 40km/h or doing 40km every week since you stated a range of 10-40km. If you are riding 20km/h, then you might burn 450kcal in 40km. That’s 3 cans of Coke…spread over a week.

I've done 400km a month for two months in a row now, I'm naturally skinny, and it has been super challenging to eat enough that I'm not just constantly aching and exhausted. I've unintentionally lost a kg despite eating a shitload more, I look emaciated as hell. I don't think everyone burns energy the same.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://bikerumor.com/sram-wireless-blips/

I like that you can use these without AXS shifters or a blipbox, but you do have to have one or the other for initial setup. Could go AXS 12 speed on any rim brake bike now without having to buy the expensive levers

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 8, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Now I just need this company to make a shifter that doesn't need a blip box

https://www.zirbel.ch/en/ajax/produ...8fe60d5b111b401

We have a couple of axs mtb derailleurs in stock but no shifters, which is probably for the best because I don't need it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone have a recommendation for bicycle insurance in the US?

My regular insurance has a high deductible and doesn’t cover ebikes to their full value.

I could look into riders on my existing insurance but wanted to see if there was a bike-specific alternative.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for bicycle insurance in the US?

My regular insurance has a high deductible and doesn’t cover ebikes to their full value.

I could look into riders on my existing insurance but wanted to see if there was a bike-specific alternative.

I bought a $300 12 month policy through Velosurance which is underwritten by Markel when I was flying with my bike across multiple legs and on some low budget carriers. I never had to use it but they seem well enough regarded.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I bought a $300 12 month policy through Velosurance which is underwritten by Markel when I was flying with my bike across multiple legs and on some low budget carriers. I never had to use it but they seem well enough regarded.

I had a very similar plan. I think it's $160/year through Velosurance and also underwritten by Markel. Actually, searching through my email for the details, I discovered that I had a payment failure and it lapsed. Oops!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

I've done 400km a month for two months in a row now, I'm naturally skinny, and it has been super challenging to eat enough that I'm not just constantly aching and exhausted. I've unintentionally lost a kg despite eating a shitload more, I look emaciated as hell. I don't think everyone burns energy the same.

You could be near the end of the bell curve, you might not be. You won't know unless you actually take part in a study. For a while I was riding 400km every few days. I also ate like a human garbage disposal. Am I naturally skinny?? Who knows...23andme says my metabolism should be pretty average. I know that base metabolic rates aren't that varied. I know that basic human efficiency WRT pedaling doesn't vary that much. I know how power relates to kcal expenditure as a result.

"In humans, the coefficient of variation in the components of total daily energy expenditure is around 5-8% for resting metabolic rate, 1-2% for exercise energy expenditure, and around 20% for diet-induced thermogenesis."

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 8, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
To be honest I think some of you probably just weren't eating as much as you thought you were :shrug:

I've definitely known some people that for one reason or another just always have trouble eating enough. It's not that they are burning more calories or something, it's just their habits or their something about their approach to food intake is different somehow.

If you want to get down to it, get a power meter for your bike, and track everything you eat

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I weight close to 100kg.

I used to weigh over 150kg though.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nature’s Bakery fig bar

PSA: these things loving own and they don't care how hot or cold your ride is, they will always be delicious. Original flavor is dope but Strawberry is also really, really tasty. My partner and I have been using them as bike fuel for almost a year now and I'm still not sick of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dictator. posted:

Did you run the chain through the chain cleaner with fresh water 2 or 3 times after degreasing, or just spray some water on it?

Did you wait for the chain to dry fully before putting wax on it?

What wax are you using? Most of them require an ultra clean chain (as in a new chain that you’ve stripped with turps or petrol & degreaser & alcohol ) rather than just a degreased, used chain.

When you say “smallest 2-3 cogs”, which chainring were you in? We’re you just cross chaining?

Salt Fish posted:

The best work that'll ever get done on your bike is the work you do yourself. It might take 10x as long and cost 5x as much money, but you'll get there eventually if you keep trying.

Based on prices I’ve been quoted for work it’d be very hard to cost 5x more unless I snap my frame every time I do something.

£25 per disc brake to bleed them last time I asked.