Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Scrree posted:

I started dabbling in Gaia Project on BGA. [...]

I guess the point of this post is: is this a regular pattern or just a freak occurrence? Is totally vital to pick a species that has the right planets to break into corners? The Ivits seem really, really strong!

1) play 4 players. The 10 sector map is nowhere crowded enough at 3 players.
1bis) having said that, imagine building towards the Ivits instead of away to force them to follow.
2) Ivits are the strongest faction, yes. It's a combination of being able to completely ignore navigation between the space stations and the free cube income, the free right academy but better with their 1 cube income, turn 1 guaranteed power action, 6 free power for their federations (space stations again), and no power waste on their federations.
The drawbacks is that their economy is on the weaker side (but they're insanely efficient in converting it into VP), and they absolutely need neighbors so they're constantly at risk of being blocked while other players should dictate where they have to expand.
Ultimately, their strength is being extremely flexible, as they can work with any technology track but navigation and score well, plus very efficient VP scoring.

2bis) while Ivits are strongest, most factions are viable and competitive (avoid the Gleens) although ease of use can vary, so Terrans you know what you're going to do while gray factions are incredibly tricky.

Conclusion, I would hard recommend against 3 players on a 10 sector size map. The game needs a constant knife fight for space.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

There is. I own 2 of them.

Hilariously a 3x3 does not exist in Australia, but it definitely does exist on the IKEA US site.

Weird. It's like the perfect size for what I want (just low enough for my cat to have a shelf to lay on)

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

FYI both of these link to the same thread. This is the TG Design/Production/Publishing: Shameless self-promotion is good, actually link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909179

I noticed because I am new to this subforum as I have recently started to gain a lot of interest in boardgame design as a hobby/creative outlet and I clicked on both links at the same time, then went searching for the other :)

Whoops I'll fix that up when I'm not on mobile. Good catch.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Hilariously a 3x3 does not exist in Australia, but it definitely does exist on the IKEA US site.

Weird. It's like the perfect size for what I want (just low enough for my cat to have a shelf to lay on)

I see plenty of off-brand Kalaxes in 3x3. All Big Box stores have em in the states. Likely there is an Aussie off-brand version? I use the Better Homes and Gardens ones and they have survived two multi state moves no problems. They even have “wood” grain which I prefer to black/white/gloss from ikea.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is this what we all strive for???

https://twitter.com/gamesnplanes/status/1490092426370985988?s=21&fbclid=IwAR0lHT-PGMlDFlYnIxN-tEqepzoGiJmOT7c4MSQMQMgEr-0w3s6Xq3t4FLs

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hey, does anyone in this thread want my copy of Fog of Love? It's in good condition but mostly unplayed, hence why I'm getting rid of it. Free within the UK, cost of postage outside it.

If I don't hear anything in a few days it's off to the charity shop.

E:

Mayveena posted:

Is this what we all strive for???

If by 'this' you mean 'a house big enough for all the games I've ever wanted' then yes, please.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 6, 2022

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

potatocubed posted:

Hey, does anyone in this thread want my copy of Fog of Love? It's in good condition but mostly unplayed, hence why I'm getting rid of it. Free within the UK, cost of postage outside it.

If I don't hear anything in a few days it's off to the charity shop.

E:

If by 'this' you mean 'a house big enough for all the games I've ever wanted' then yes, please.

I'd be interested!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Imagine everything in tiny Oink boxes. Also, the boxes are colourful and attractive.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'd be interested!

Cool, throw me a PM with your address and I'll get it in the post ASAP.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

What new perversion is this? It's like you weirdos that put multiple games into one box, but wrong in the entirely opposite direction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

no.

armorer posted:

you weirdos that put multiple games into one box

this is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my dream shelf is big enough to face all of my collection forward to show off the box art in their own individual units. also you should win prizes for using the shelf.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is violence

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Since Covid I've been buying RPGs instead of boardgames (for the most part) and I have a lot of pent up boardgame energy.

(1) This week I'm buying Nidavellir (and Thingvellir), Campy Creatures (and Expansion), and I am definitely backing Mind Mgmt

(2) What have I missed out on since Covid started? What game has released since March 2020 that I should go spend money on?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

I have a large laser cutter and have considered slowly converting all of my games to wood boxes… but ones the exact size actually required for every game and not that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CitizenKeen posted:

(2) What have I missed out on since Covid started? What game has released since March 2020 that I should go spend money on?

The only post-2019 release I can think of that I've bought and played is my game of the year from last year:

Magnetic North posted:

Game of the Year:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars: This game is loving terrific. It's narratively compelling, contemplative, fulfilling, engaging, occasionally uplifting or even quite humorous. It was everything I could have wanted, as close to perfect as is reasonable. I talked about it a fair bit in the draft thread.

Though it's not quite the same as a normal board game.

For a few similar games that were both huge hits, Lost Ruins of Arnak and Dune Imperium are deckbuilding euros that took the broader board gaming world by storm. I have not played them and don't know if they are goon-approved. (Arnak is playable on BGA I think?)

I also have not played The Red Cathedral but it seems more likely to get traction in this thread.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CitizenKeen posted:

Since Covid I've been buying RPGs instead of boardgames (for the most part) and I have a lot of pent up boardgame energy.

Isle of Cats came out right before Covid and is pretty solid.

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
Calico
The Crew
Search for Planet X
Canvas
Unsettled

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

CitizenKeen posted:

I finally played Beyond the Sun this weekend and after a couple plays it's quite likely on my buy list. I have not played Caper: Europe, but folks I trust have been singing high praises, so that's almost certainly going to happen too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For semi-recent non-KS releases Great Western Trail got a 2nd Edition which is
A.) Gorgeous
B.) Has Cowboy hats for Meeples

Been trying to get it to the table for a while but ~covid~

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 6, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the "new" Sherlock games? I played the old box (with Tim Caylus Sherlock on front, cases included the Lion, Mummy, Art), and the "new" red box design for the Jack the Ripper cases, and then I have another blue box for Carlton House, is there one I'm missing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PRADA SLUT posted:

What are the "new" Sherlock games? I played the old box (with Tim Caylus Sherlock on front, cases included the Lion, Mummy, Art), and the "new" red box design for the Jack the Ripper cases, and then I have another blue box for Carlton House, is there one I'm missing?

The green Baker Street Irregulars box. The cases are all new, don't have translation issues, and incorporate a simple but effective mechanic for tracking certain clues.

It's the best of the series.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What are the hot 18XX games nowadays?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played Tinners Trail tonight, 4 players with the Arsenic stuff in. It's very Martin Wallace in terms of there are loads of rules to learn but the game itself is fairly simple to play once you know them all. I won in the end with mid-300 points with about 100 point spread covering us all due to some poor choices early on because we didn't know the game. I think we missed part of the interest as well because our goods prices were in synch all game, high on rounds 1 and 2 low on 3 and high again on 4. With there never being a gap between copper and tin prices all cubes were essentially the same.

A fun game though, moderate-low player interaction worker placement.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

PerniciousKnid posted:

What are the hot 18XX games nowadays?

For me it's '40. Game Brain podcast loved '48 but I haven't tried it yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

I also have not played The Red Cathedral but it seems more likely to get traction in this thread.

Red Cathedral is good, yeah. It won't set the world on fire but I'd sit down to it more than once.

Got Alien: Fate of the Nostromo to the table tonight. It's a smooth running, simple cooperative game with an encounter system that makes it hard to quarterback. It's also quick - 45 minutes for three players including setup and teaching, and we only lost about two turns short of completing the final mission. Very satisfied with it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jedit posted:

Red Cathedral is good, yeah. It won't set the world on fire but I'd sit down to it more than once.

Got Alien: Fate of the Nostromo to the table tonight. It's a smooth running, simple cooperative game with an encounter system that makes it hard to quarterback. It's also quick - 45 minutes for three players including setup and teaching, and we only lost about two turns short of completing the final mission. Very satisfied with it.

How many people got to capture Jonesy?

I enjoyed it when I played it at Gen Con, though I wasn’t sure I needed to own it. If I had unlimited shelf space I would.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

matrix-switch-not-like-this-animated.gif

I can appreciate the desire for consistent box sizing - I have my collection organized first by box size and then by played or not, then by alphabet.

but not like this

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Mind MGMT expansion coming soon, likely opening orders for the original box as well.

Also, Lovecraft Sherlock

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Magnetic North posted:

The only post-2019 release I can think of that I've bought and played is my game of the year from last year:

Though it's not quite the same as a normal board game.
Yeah, I played the first one, I think, and a group of people sitting around a living room listening to each other read Encyclopedia Brown passages was... like, the worst. I played the first four or five stories and loathed every minute of it. I assume it's basically the same idea?

quote:

For a few similar games that were both huge hits, Lost Ruins of Arnak and Dune Imperium are deckbuilding euros that took the broader board gaming world by storm. I have not played them and don't know if they are goon-approved. (Arnak is playable on BGA I think?)

Thanks, I'll investigate.

Lawlicaust posted:

Isle of Cats came out right before Covid and is pretty solid.

Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
Calico
The Crew
Search for Planet X
Canvas
Unsettled
I picked up The Crew: Mission Deep Sea, I'll look into the others. Thank you!

JoeRules posted:

I finally played Beyond the Sun this weekend and after a couple plays it's quite likely on my buy list. I have not played Caper: Europe, but folks I trust have been singing high praises, so that's almost certainly going to happen too.

Thanks!

Infinitum posted:

A.) Gorgeous

I almost bought the first edition, and the second sounds like it fixes a few minor quibbles that prevented me from buying it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Infinitum posted:

A.) Gorgeous

I picked it up because it has a solo mode and ~covid~. It only took me like 3 games to get the rules for the automaton right. He kicked my rear end.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I picked up GWT 2nd edition and played my first game vs my housemate. He went and dabbled in a bit of everything thing whereas I went hard on thinning my deck, loading up on engineers to push my train and then rushing to Kansas as many times as possible to deliver to New York. He ended up scoring 65 and I got 125...yikes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Uh yeah, dabbling in everything is a good way to lose, but gwt is hardly a standout in that respect. Most euros reward some amount of specialization, gotta make those repeated actions more efficient!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Mind MGMT expansion coming soon, likely opening orders for the original box as well.

I played MIND MGMT for the first time last night and it was better and simpler than I expected. It landed for all four players, which was a nice change.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

silvergoose posted:

Uh yeah, dabbling in everything is a good way to lose, but gwt is hardly a standout in that respect. Most euros reward some amount of specialization, gotta make those repeated actions more efficient!

By the end of the game I was able to rush Kansas every 3 turns, and hit two spots that advanced my train by the amount of engineers I had, which let me advance to the next station where I could leave a token for the VP. Ended up with a token in most stations, visited NYC 4 times and only had 7 cards in my deck so I was hitting 18 value + certificates every time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's why I tired of GWT after a few plays. Turns out the best way to play is to ignore a lot of stuff and do the same thing every game. The expansion helped (but kinda swung it the other way), but I don't think that's included in 2nd edition? It looks like a point salad style game, but in the end rewards a specific (and static) specialization.

Best analogy I can think of is if whaling in base AFfO were even stronger so all players just competed for those spots and ignored the rest of the game. Or if one type of card in Concordia were much stronger so most of the game became about posturing for grabbing and scoring those. I really don't like games that add in a bunch of systems that look equally important but some or most are traps.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Bottom Liner posted:

That's why I tired of GWT after a few plays. Turns out the best way to play is to ignore a lot of stuff and do the same thing every game. The expansion helped (but kinda swung it the other way), but I don't think that's included in 2nd edition? It looks like a point salad style game, but in the end rewards a specific (and static) specialization.

Best analogy I can think of is if whaling in base AFfO were even stronger so all players just competed for those spots and ignored the rest of the game. Or if one type of card in Concordia were much stronger so most of the game became about posturing for grabbing and scoring those. I really don't like games that add in a bunch of systems that look equally important but some or most are traps.

Sounds like you were playing the first edition right? I think they have tried to rebalance a few of the strategies in the new edition. I hope it's not so one dimensional, this was literally my first play. I'll try a heavy building strategy next time I think and see if it is at all comparable.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Thinning is actually relatively weak in GWT from my recollection, it's too slow compared to anything else you could be doing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I wasn't going to spoil the main strategy everyone does, and I don't remember the details well because it's been like 5 years now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I played the first one, I think, and a group of people sitting around a living room listening to each other read Encyclopedia Brown passages was... like, the worst. I played the first four or five stories and loathed every minute of it. I assume it's basically the same idea?

Yes, it is essentially the same. There is a new game mechanic innovation that can allow the prose to be better (since the game can now have a "state") but it's still fundamentally the same. Even though it can physically contain a large group (the box says 1-8 which is ludicrous), it's really best for 2 to keep the amount of engagement up while also giving you someone else to have their own observations and ideas to catch things you miss.

Apparently my quoted post went to the wrong post, so this is where I talk in detail.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3973443&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post516356003

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Lunchables posted:

How many people got to capture Jonesy?

I enjoyed it when I played it at Gen Con, though I wasn’t sure I needed to own it. If I had unlimited shelf space I would.

Only one, but it did amuse us when the second Jonesy turned up.

I agree on the limited shelf space thing, but as I'm not a Pandemic fan a short light co-op fills an empty slot for me. Plus I like Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Omobono posted:

1) play 4 players. The 10 sector map is nowhere crowded enough at 3 players.
1bis) having said that, imagine building towards the Ivits instead of away to force them to follow.
2) Ivits are the strongest faction, yes. It's a combination of being able to completely ignore navigation between the space stations and the free cube income, the free right academy but better with their 1 cube income, turn 1 guaranteed power action, 6 free power for their federations (space stations again), and no power waste on their federations.
The drawbacks is that their economy is on the weaker side (but they're insanely efficient in converting it into VP), and they absolutely need neighbors so they're constantly at risk of being blocked while other players should dictate where they have to expand.
Ultimately, their strength is being extremely flexible, as they can work with any technology track but navigation and score well, plus very efficient VP scoring.

2bis) while Ivits are strongest, most factions are viable and competitive (avoid the Gleens) although ease of use can vary, so Terrans you know what you're going to do while gray factions are incredibly tricky.

Conclusion, I would hard recommend against 3 players on a 10 sector size map. The game needs a constant knife fight for space.

I really like Gaia Project (and Terra Mystica) but am mediocre at best, how easy is it to explain what the problem with Gleens is? I think I've only played one game with them but so far my knowledge of the game is too limited to know much except that Ivits and Itars seem to be the strongest two factions, and that I really like Ambas.