Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Victory Position posted:

and every single one of them get upset with me and start yelling at me when I ask simple questions like, "so who's making pharmaceuticals for your bloc? how about food?"

If it's anything like the anarchists I know, they will say something like "DIY centrifuges will provide home made insulin" and "our vegetable garden will make us all healthy and we won't need medication anymore" and I'm like "yeah my gf literally needs SSRIs or she will kill herself from the constant pain in her head". This dumb poo poo descends into nonsense alternative medicine so loving fast its staggering. The alienation we experience under the bullshit healthcare system leads to poo poo like this and they don't see it or understand or care where kidney transplants will come from and who is going to operate on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Archaic posted:

If it's anything like the anarchists I know, they will say something like "DIY centrifuges will provide home made insulin" and "our vegetable garden will make us all healthy and we won't need medication anymore" and I'm like "yeah my gf literally needs SSRIs or she will kill herself from the constant pain in her head". This dumb poo poo descends into nonsense alternative medicine so loving fast its staggering. The alienation we experience under the bullshit healthcare system leads to poo poo like this and they don't see it or understand or care where kidney transplants will come from and who is going to operate on it.

scratch an anarchist and an anprim who blames all disease on modern society bleeds

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Victory Position posted:

and every single one of them get upset with me and start yelling at me when I ask simple questions like, "so who's making pharmaceuticals for your bloc? how about food?"

They probably think they can just trade for them with the pharmaceutical commune, but trade with what? Money? Are rural towns going to have to take up trapping again since they only exist to service farms? Are communes organized around communities or industries? Do you have to work for the coal mine to trade in kind for pharmaceuticals with coal?

If everybody is trading in kind, how do you account for the disparity in value production from communes that produce low value goods? What's to stop the pharma commune from growing rich with commodities like this? They really just have not thought about it at all - and any real solutions involve the kind of use of force that resembles a state too much.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Feb 7, 2022

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
we will simply trade our empty bottles and cans and spare squatting space with the xbox and solar panel communes

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They probably think they can just trade for them with the pharmaceutical commune, but trade with what? Money? Are rural towns going to have to take up trapping again since they only exist to service farms? Are communes organized around communities or industries? Do you have to work for the coal mine to trade in kind for pharmaceuticals with coal?

If everybody is trading in kind, how do you account for the disparity in value production from communes that produce low value goods? What's to stop the pharma commune from growing rich with commodities like this? They really just have not thought about it at all - and any real solutions involve the kind of use of force that resembles a state too much.

Simple, if the pharmas start acting like authoritarians, you go smash them. Sure there could be medicine shortages, but that's nothing compared to the real problem of hierarchy!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

nobody tell the tank communes that they have very hard to ignore hard power

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anarchists don't seriously think a society should or even can be based on barter, do they?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Anarchists don't seriously think

correct

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can easily see how it would work with an exchange medium like money, but that leaves out all the anarchists who want to abolish money and do gift economy. But intercommunal relations can't work on gifts alone. It's like the Chinese tributary system. Tributaries bring gifts to the emperor and the emperor gives gifts back - but it's really a trade system with ceremony.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Anarchists don't seriously think a society should or even can be based on barter, do they?

no anarchist who has put any serious thought into the matter holds to this, but the subjects of this thread? yeah probably, the evergreen mentions of liberal tendencies and coming from privilege are very apt, so you do get a ton of common attitudes with opposing ideological polarities between ancaps and crimethinc dilettantes

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can easily see how it would work with an exchange medium like money, but that leaves out all the anarchists who want to abolish money and do gift economy. But intercommunal relations can't work on gifts alone. It's like the Chinese tributary system. Tributaries bring gifts to the emperor and the emperor gives gifts back - but it's really a trade system with ceremony.

the main difference between a gift economy and a "trade system with ceremony" is whether you're a human being who feels things or a lovely robot that processes transactions. you're handwaving thousands of years of experience with a line like "intercommunal relations can't work on gifts alone" and it's incredibly lame. i'd say just google "potlatch" but i'm sure you can find an analysis of that that fits your poo poo if you want

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

pnac attack posted:

the main difference between a gift economy and a "trade system with ceremony" is whether you're a human being who feels things or a lovely robot that processes transactions. you're handwaving thousands of years of experience with a line like "intercommunal relations can't work on gifts alone" and it's incredibly lame. i'd say just google "potlatch" but i'm sure you can find an analysis of that that fits your poo poo if you want

For the last time, I'm not trading you my medicine for your salmon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pnac attack posted:

Why don't you google potlatch, and explain to me how it has anything to do with what we're talking about?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

pnac attack posted:

i'd say just google "potlatch"

lmfao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dreddout posted:

I need wood and stone. I already make enough wheat on this tile.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

pnac attack posted:

i'd say just google "potlatch" but i'm sure you can find an analysis of that that fits your poo poo if you want

this has to be a clever troll lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

pnac attack posted:

lol why are you all so goddamn stupid

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You ask how we're going to make our own food? I'd say just google "potluck"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

just dropped a huge gift in the communal toilet

gonn need a pot latch :greenangel:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

pnac attack posted:

you're not selling me on any mode of production that lacks a comprehensive accounting system

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

pnac attack posted:

google "potlatch"

quote:

A potlatch involves giving away or destroying wealth or valuable items in order to demonstrate a leader's wealth and power.
:thunk:

pnac attack posted:

but i'm sure you can find an analysis of that that fits your poo poo if you want

Oh whoops looks like you got me

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

pnac has already foreclosed on any technological, industrial society as being categorically evil already and that humanity should be culled back to tribal levels (that won't reassert a hierarchical industrial society because ???). While I have no doubt tribal practices work for tribal societies I don't think a potlatch is going to cut it in determining JIT input networks between a chemical synthesizers and medical manufacturers

anyway

quote:

Only rich people could host a potlatch. Tribal slaves were not allowed to attend a potlatch as a host or a guest.
lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

small children have a better grasp of how the world and society works than any anarchist ever has or will

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

“google potlach” dear god you lot have actual, gigantic cognitive deficiencies

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bi crimes posted:

Is there any meaningful differences between Anarchists and libertarians? Or any flavor of anarchosyndicalism/anarchocommunism vs "right" anarchism (libertarians, ancap, etc). It just seems like anarchists are libertarians that adopt leftist aesthetics and give lip service to woke poo poo? And maybe donate cans of soup to homeless people instead of wearing bow ties?
I know people in both groups and it seems pretty ridiculous to equate them. I see two big points of similarity. The first is that both anarchism and "classical liberalism" are often refuges for scoundrels who want to claim moral superiority without taking a stance on anything controversial.

The second is that they're deeply suspicious of any power that goes beyond a network of people that they personally know. In the absence of larger structures, libertarians imagine that society will be governed by contracts while anarchists put their faith in some vague sense of community. Either one, put into practice, is just a return to feudalism. And neither one will likely be put into practice except by necessity if and when those larger social structures collapse.

But I'm talking about people I know in real life--I can't really account for the Twitter anarchists who always seem to be hippie rich kids on a perpetual gap year, and who always seem to parrot US foreign policy positions.

Also, to all the people pointing out that the Twitter reply I posted is from someone with bad opinions: who cares?

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Feb 7, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dreddout posted:

salmon seems like it could be a good trade

they are probably going to be trying to trade away tub grown tilapia most of the year

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You ask how we're going to make our own food? I'd say just google "potluck"

there's a whole lot to eat literally just waiting for you to pick it up and put it in your mouth. beautiful cycles of life with room for us to participate.
not enough for a horrible swarm of farm-raised "citizens" 8 billion+ strong, but we been there and like you said i don't think there's a decent way to do that at all.

bunch of indoor-living computer touchers lining up to dunk on subsistence living/the very idea of sharing without coercion is super depressing. y'all more closely aligned with bezos than someone like me

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

pnac attack posted:

there's a whole lot to eat literally just waiting for you to pick it up and put it in your mouth. beautiful cycles of life with room for us to participate.
not enough for a horrible swarm of farm-raised "citizens" 8 billion+ strong, but we been there and like you said i don't think there's a decent way to do that at all.

bunch of indoor-living computer touchers lining up to dunk on subsistence living/the very idea of sharing without coercion is super depressing. y'all more closely aligned with bezos than someone like me

im not eating your bathroom fungus

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

pnac attack posted:

starve yourself to death first you retarded bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
idk what the anarchists have against famine apparently that's just one big opportunity

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

pnac attack posted:

you are a loving dumbass lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

just can't stop with wanting to kill 8 billion people eh

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pnac attack posted:

is this like a reverse holodomor, where instead of a shitload of people die to fuel industrialization a shitload of people die because the forest can't grow enough nuts and berries?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lmao i'm glad i keep this thread bookmarked to check in on every few days, otherwise i wouldn't have learned that ecofascism is an integral part of anarchist society

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

starve yourself to death first you retarded bitch

can't, these dang fish keep showing up every year...

Azathoth posted:

is this like a reverse holodomor, where instead of a shitload of people die to fuel industrialization a shitload of people die because the forest can't grow enough nuts and berries?

i just looked that up and...

wiki posted:

The term Holodomor emphasises the famine's man-made and allegedly intentional aspects such as rejection of outside aid, confiscation of all household foodstuffs and restriction of population movement.

not at all

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anarchism is when I eat things I found on the ground. Communism is when my mom doesn't let me do that. Fascism is when we get kicked out of Five Guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

scratch an anarchist and... wait you dumbass i have to scratch you first before you go bleeding your fascist blood!