Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Thank you so much! Good to know about that crash. I'll keep an eye out.

Glad I could help, lemme know how the game play for you and if everything goes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Disappointing Pie posted:

It’s not FF but I’ve owned Octopath Traveler for a couple years but never put more than an hour into it. If I loved FFIV/VI would it be up my alley? The art style is lovely I’ve just heard so much bad crap that it kinda soured me on giving it a shot.

Octopath is a very love it or hate it type of game. It's not really like the SNES FF games, it's more like what would happen if SE created a SaGa game that mostly makes sense. It has some really strong qualities, but it's also eight separate arcs and party interaction is hidden in optional, easily-missed scenes.

Personally it's my second-favorite game of this gen and an all-time classic for me, but I also don't mind the lack of a real central narrative and really enjoy the world-building and character interactions (for reference, my all-time favorite game is Legend of Mana, which is similar but with a lot more jank and nonsense).

There are critiques on what it could have been, which I don't really have arguments with since it's mostly perfect for me, and there are a few issues that everyone agrees are garbage decisions (party chat being a pain to see at times and completely missable, the entire structure of the final boss fights). Honestly, my suggestion is to give it another shot, see if you dig it for what it is, and if it's not clicking with you after a couple of chapters, then skip out on it. The battle system does get more interesting, but the gameplay loop itself basically stays the same for the entirety of the game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The biggest problem with Octopath is they made the incredibly stupid decision to have the party members on your bench not gain experience, so you get around to doing Ophelia's mission and oops she's 25 levels below all your other party members and enemies are one-shotting her, better grind!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

The biggest problem with Octopath is they made the incredibly stupid decision to have the party members on your bench not gain experience, so you get around to doing Ophelia's mission and oops she's 25 levels below all your other party members and enemies are one-shotting her, better grind!

It very much encourages you to rotate party members frequently. I personally liked that but some people wanted to always use their favorites. You can certainly do this (kinda) but it very much hoses you out of fighting the optional super boss without grinding.

Yes I know you don't technically need to grind for that boss but when the game came out all the speedrunner strats didn't exist yet and I like to play games totally blind whenever possible so I took the grinding option.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Octopath is good for what it is, and is worth playing for the nostalgia alone, but it could have been incredible. They could have done a lot more to make the characters feel like more than eight individuals who have little interaction outside of battles. My expectations were pretty high for it, and I was a bit disappointed, but it’s still a beautiful game with great music. It’s a complete game, but it feels unfinished to me. I should go back and replay it

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Octopath is really good if you pretend it's two completely separate games for the most part with two different parties that lets you keep jobs and equipment, knocking them out as a group of four and then going and only touching the other four afterwards keeps them pretty fairly levelled and completely gets rid of the awkwardness of having to keep your starting choice in your party at all times.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember back before SuMo were released, there was a leak that talked about how there were no gyms in Alola, there were regional forms of Pokemon that were different from the old ones, and that Ultra Beasts were from another dimension. All of those were true, but that leak also talked about how there was a new water type Growlite/Arcanine.

So as a Pokemon fan, "100% proven true leak" means absolutely nothing to me.

This is a complete tangent, but to be fair it's entirely possible that this was true at the time of the leak and just got cut later on, there's also leaks which were 100% accurate except for talking about 3-stage iceberg mons in XY which appeared false at first glance, until a pre-release build of XY leaked which showed that there was a cut middle mon planned to be in between Bergmite and Avalugg (though lacking a model or anything beyond an "Ice 2" folder to go with Ice1 and Ice3.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This Post vector stuff is more interesting, and dare I say it more affecting than all the preceding story beats, but Terra doing the "I wanna know what love is" poo poo is really not earned or interesting. I think she also said something similar to that when she first met Celes maybe? It just feels odd, they're obviously setting up Locke and Celes so she doesn't really have an actual romantic partner in the party. And why is she so focused on love, or even worried about it right now. Her parents were in love so she shouldn't be too worried about the fact that she's an Esper. And she's spent her entire life as a slave to Gestalt, you'd think she'd be full on gently caress the empire mode or something not acting like a love struck teenager.
How old is she supposed to be anyways, I think Amazing Spiderman 2 Era Emma Stone is good casting for her.
Anyways all that poo poo is lame, cause I sure as poo poo don't like most of the party and I was holding out hope that Terra was gonna come out strong post Transformation.

I'm surprised that the Locke Celes poo poo worked, I'm giving all credit to Celes on that. She's easily the best character, despite being pretty hamstrung at the beginning of her arc. Here's a fix for that weirdness, Have Leo and Celes both at Doma during the Siege, then have Kefka telling them that The Emperor wants to talk to Leo, and that Celes is needed in S.Figaro. You can then let Celes also be in the "Good Enemy" archtype with Leo without just being told it, but also let the Player themselves decide if Kefka betrayed her on route to Figaro or if they're working to insert a spy in the returners.

Also they should've given you access to Magicite earlier, don't explain what it is, and don't let you use the summon function. Let the Player come to the realization of what it is or not. Then when you get the reveal that "Oh my god it's made of Esper" you can have a shocking moment at what you've done, and a good think about the morality of it. Plus you add another interesting system to gently caress with which helps with how utterly dire the early game is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

This Post vector stuff is more interesting, and dare I say it more affecting than all the preceding story beats, but Terra doing the "I wanna know what love is" poo poo is really not earned or interesting. I think she also said something similar to that when she first met Celes maybe? It just feels odd, they're obviously setting up Locke and Celes so she doesn't really have an actual romantic partner in the party. And why is she so focused on love, or even worried about it right now. Her parents were in love so she shouldn't be too worried about the fact that she's an Esper. And she's spent her entire life as a slave to Gestalt, you'd think she'd be full on gently caress the empire mode or something not acting like a love struck teenager.
How old is she supposed to be anyways, I think Amazing Spiderman 2 Era Emma Stone is good casting for her.

The wiki says she's supposed to be 18.

I thought Terra's thing about love was kinda weird at this point of the game, but IMO it pays off when it turns out what she's looking for isn't romantic love, but familial love, and she finds it in the second half.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's where I figured it was going, story leading there anyways. FF's or even the Genre wasn't very hidden about who they thought should end up together back in those days.

Let me tell you though, gently caress Thamasa, second place I went after I got me an airship. First was to the island with invisible assholes. But they all told me to go gently caress myself, but now they wanna sell me poo poo. gently caress you

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBH I've kind of come around to just reading Terra as ace/aro, personally, with the conflict coming from her misidentifying her unique parentage as the source of her confusion when actually it's just heteronormativity.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Terra’s deal makes more sense if you remember that her memories from before the slave crown was put on her are mostly obliterated, but also still eh, it does have a good payoff but at the same time eh. I don’t hate or even dislike VI but it always felt like another Final Fantasy IV where you’re meant to mentally fill in the gaps wrt characterization that the game lacks (cause it’s a freaking SNES game) yourself which is a subjective thing but being a horribly boring uncreative person I never vibed with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terra's thing is that literally all of her memories are of being a weapon of mass destruction and experiment. She had never ever had a chance to be anything but a weapon of mass destruction. Even once she met Locke and Edgar her abilities were one of the first things anyone brought up about her and the Returners begged her to put them to use for them. Even if it was a better cause she was still being used as a weapon and that weighs on her.

She asked Celes because Celes is also a Magitek soldier for the empire, but she wasn't in the same circumstances. She genuinely has no idea what normal emotions to have are because she is a half-human/half-Esper who spent her entire life being raised in a lab as a weapon when she wasn't being literally mind controller to mass murder. She's extremely aware that the people around her are not a ton like she is and she has nobody she can really talk to who understands.

The World of Ruin stuff is important because it is the first time in her life she's allowed to do something besides fight and be a weapon. It is the reason why she is so reluctant to fight back because even in a horrifying destroyed world she finally managed to escape being defined by her powers. Her character arc is coming to understand that no matter how she was raised she is herself and her powers don't define her, how she uses them does.

All of that is from the game itself. It doesn't get a metric shitload of cutscenes because it's an SNES RPG but the game pretty well emphasis what her issues are. She was a literal slave-weapon for the people who murdered her parents until a coincidence managed to give her a chance to escape and even then she had to deal with the fact that the only path she really had involved still using them to fight, just for less evil people. Part of the reason she was willing to do the peace talks with the Espers was because it seemed like the first chance she had to do something that wasn't fighting.

It's also why the ending is framed the way it is. Terra thinking she is going to vanish as magic fades from the world is her thinking that like the other Espers who've been used as weapons she won't have a place anymore. But she doesn't. She survives as herself, no longer forced to live a life of war.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 7, 2022

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ohtsam posted:

Another fun little pixel animation from FF14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaI3YV4GeA

Big fan of the Actraiser, Secret of Mana, and Ogre Battle takes here.

Regarding the FF6 stuff, I mean the game has three leads and I think they all work. You've got Terra, brought up as nothing but a war machine for her whole life, not understanding human emotion and unsure if she;s even able to process it. You have Celes who has actual bonds with humans but tries to remain aloof as though those bonds are weakness, and then Kefka who I guess was raised in a loving vat or something and has just lost his goddamn mind. It's interesting because any of these characters could have turned out completely differently and it's cool that the game explores all of their paths.

Some of this might be me filling in actual voids in the plot with nostalgia, I suppose.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 7, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
One of the guards in Vector says that Kefka's brain got fried by the magic infusion process. He was probably a normal dude before (though likely still someone who wanted the Empire to dominate the world) but it's pretty clear that the only emotions he experiences now are anger and schadenfreude.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ohtsam posted:

Another fun little pixel animation from FF14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaI3YV4GeA

What game is being referenced at around 4:20? It looks like Space Harrier got turned into an RPG.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

What game is being referenced at around 4:20? It looks like Space Harrier got turned into an RPG.

The Last Remnant

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

One of the guards in Vector says that Kefka's brain got fried by the magic infusion process. He was probably a normal dude before (though likely still someone who wanted the Empire to dominate the world) but it's pretty clear that the only emotions he experiences now are anger and schadenfreude.

Yeah, Kefka is the very first Magitek soldier and that plays a big part in who he is. He is intentionally childlike which is something that can be easily missed but that basically defines everything about him. He can only really understand short-term selfish pleasure and since he was used as a soldier and praised for it he only really associates pleasure with killing and destruction. He doesn't actually have any real long-term plans or goals, he just does what he thinks is fun or funny and since he's a manchild in every sense of the word that usually means horrible things.

He's the main antagonist because he's a walking talking "What does life mean? Haha, loving nothing, losers, get bent" in comparison to the rest of the cast who are largely defined by trying to find their purpose and goals in life and by the end of the story have done so.

Celes is the in-between. She was turned into a soldier and was apparently extremely good at being a soldier but had empathy and caring which lead her to betray the Empire. Then she spent a good chunk of the story struggling with the idea that nobody would ever care for or accept her again because she was a traitor and killer. (Again, not a lot of text, but basically any time Celes does anything remotely suspicious the rest of the cast aside from Locke and Terra are usually pretty willing to throw her under the Magitek bus.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 7, 2022

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Twelve by Pies posted:

Right so youve got someone who the Empire never gave a chance to (Terra), someone the Empire infused and turned out aloof but not genocidal (Celes), and then someone who's mind was completely destroyed (Kefka). I think a remake could really do alot to expound on their stories, although the Dissidias kind of did with Terra and Kefka.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are you kidding me? gently caress off

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Like I said before. Ultros is a beloved fan favorite who keeps getting cameos in games to this day.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

Im sorry that you hate fan favorite octopus Ultros. Everyone else loves him so perhaps some introspection is needed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Actually I'd kinda prefer we not have Ultros, but that was less VI's fault and more XIV's.

The worst character quality of his to go all-in on was his perviness, and oh god did they.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who wouldn't love le epic random meme octopus. Gonna make some fuckin motivational poster memes later and hit up 9gag

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doing the Ivalice raids in XIV and I feel like a baby that sees jingling keys with every reference.

Except for Ramza, Ramza Lexentale sucks rear end.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Gaius Marius posted:

Who wouldn't love le epic random meme octopus. Gonna make some fuckin motivational poster memes later and hit up 9gag

This might be one of the worst posts in the history of this thread.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

Well you see when Ultros was introduced there were no memes!

To be serious here (i dont know why) Ultros is the FF6 equivalent of Gilgamesh. It is funny when he shows up, and unexpected, and cool and good.

I would expect someone playing FF6 for the first time in 2022 to be jaded and not enjoy him, I guess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Doing the Ivalice raids in XIV and I feel like a baby that sees jingling keys with every reference.

Except for Ramza, Ramza Lexentale sucks rear end.

I love FFT and watched all of the Ivalice stuff and was equal parts happy but also like jeez this is a lot of text, good luck friend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ultros is my buddy insisting we watch Borat, swearing it's loving hilarious, and then me downing drink after drink hoping to god the fiftieth "My Wife" is actually funny

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

ultros is my buddy insisting we watch Borat, swearing it's loving hilarious, and then me downing drink after drink hoping to god the fiftieth "My Wife" is actually funny

big oof

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Ultros is just Beatrice but an octopus, sorry.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why are you all still interacting with the poster who insisted on calling Sabin Sabine and then said it had to be a mistranslation when called on it?

Clearly the posting is not being made in good faith here

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PunkBoy posted:

I recall someone here a while ago posting a link to a bunch of patches and fixes for the PC versions of either Final Fantasy XIII or XIII-2 (or both?). Would anyone be able to share that link again?

One thing to note about XIII is that it downloads every prerendered cutscene twice, as the EN and JP versions have different lip syncing.

If you want to save some space, you can safely delete the cutscenes of whatever language you aren't using and cut the size of the game by a ton.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Yaaaouch! Bad post soup!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

buncha muscleheads in this thread

and I hate 'em

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Yaaaouch! Bad post soup!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Blockhouse posted:

Why are you all still interacting with the poster who insisted on calling Sabin Sabine and then said it had to be a mistranslation when called on it?

Clearly the posting is not being made in good faith here

That was the weirdest poo poo. Like there is no E my friend.

As far as why interact with them? Uh, well, Mom always said I was a slow learner... but I eat FAST!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

You should turn off your projector before reading text. The light blinds you.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

actual spoiler this isn't the last time you meet him, strap in

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
You must hate it when I show up...Too bad!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Personally I think we're too quick to poo poo on people who disagree with the groupthink here, so I'm keen to listen to Gaius keep going. Either they're going to make good points eventually or at some point be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ultros is just Beatrice but an octopus, sorry.

Don't give me bullshit like this ever again

ImpAtom posted:

Terra's thing is that literally all of her memories are of being a weapon of mass destruction and experiment. She had never ever had a chance to be anything but a weapon of mass destruction. Even once she met Locke and Edgar her abilities were one of the first things anyone brought up about her and the Returners begged her to put them to use for them. Even if it was a better cause she was still being used as a weapon and that weighs on her.

See, I see where it's going, or where it was. But the way it's written she feels less like a Four or Lalah and more like the dude from Anchorman who loves lamp.
I'm wondering if it comes through more in a newer translation. Terra's dialogue feels very stilted, and it's rare enough that I've forgotten more than once that she isn't a silent Protag. I guess we're just glad she didn't get Locke imprinted on her mind like Fyana