Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there a game that occupies the middle ground between Factorio and Harvest Moon / Stardew Valley?

The ideal here would just be "Factorio but cute", less of a middle ground than a best of both worlds situation, but anything that has really complex and robust automation and isn't about paving over an alien planet would concrete would fall within the scope.

Co-op multiplayer is a must, it's a big part of why I ask. Personally I think Biters are cute but my friend disagrees, and I usually play with them off anyways. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a game that occupies the middle ground between Factorio and Harvest Moon / Stardew Valley?

The ideal here would just be "Factorio but cute", less of a middle ground than a best of both worlds situation, but anything that has really complex and robust automation and isn't about paving over an alien planet would concrete would fall within the scope.

Co-op multiplayer is a must, it's a big part of why I ask. Personally I think Biters are cute but my friend disagrees, and I usually play with them off anyways. :v:

My Time at Portia?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Does Factory Town have multiplayer?

edit: nope :(

Ceyton fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 6, 2022

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Have you thought about getting into modded Minecraft? It was something of a birthplace for that genre and as far as I know it's still going strong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Have you thought about getting into modded Minecraft? It was something of a birthplace for that genre and as far as I know it's still going strong.

It's right on target but we've already done a ton of that, unfortunately.

Honestly I wouldn't be that surprised if what I'm asking for doesn't really exist -- a lot of the appeal of Factorio to me is super-grognardy "it's basically an engineering problem thinly disguised as a game", which tends to go hand in hand with a very blunt, functional aesthetic and if there's a narrative or theme at all it's typically very man-vs-nature. Meanwhile games that look like Stardew Valley are generally going for a very casual, relaxing type of experience, which tends to preclude more difficult puzzles/design problems and to lean more towards "here's a simple, repetitive activity to zone out to", which isn't bad but won't hold my attention.

Something like My Time At Portia looks like generally the right sort of gameplay niche, but the aesthetics look like "this is where bad Miis go to suffer in the afterlife." (It's really just the characters, too, the environmental assets look nice enough, but ugh, those dead eyes -- I wonder what drove that decision?)

Oxygen Not Included is very close to being the solution, but no co-op and also while it tones down the plate-spinning a little bit relative to its predecessor Don't Starve, it's still a game that expects you to continually deal with the fallout of past decisions / construction while the great thing about Factorio is that it has tremendous respect for the player's time -- anything you've already proven you can do can be 100% automated, and if you need to expand it it's almost as simple as copy and paste.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You could go through the texture pack subforum for factorio, https://test.forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=15 , and look for happy flower field retexture opportunities

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Beartaco posted:

This is why I know that no matter what, if games start to bore me, there is always a new Minecraft Modpack to play.
Maybe this is why I never finish anything though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I tried to get into Minecraft but I was bombarded with hundreds of Very Strong Opinions about which version I should play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ask in the Management Megathread they probably will have some ideas.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

thanks, will do

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Are the Legendary Edition Mass Effect(s) a good time? I think a LONG time ago I started the first one, and ended up distracted by whatever, and never got back around to playing any of them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FakePoet posted:

Are the Legendary Edition Mass Effect(s) a good time? I think a LONG time ago I started the first one, and ended up distracted by whatever, and never got back around to playing any of them.

They're very good. ME1 had the biggest overhaul while the other two just got a bit of a facelift and polish.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah they whip rear end. Definitely play it.

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Any suggestions of city/factory/logistics builders/sims in the vein of SimCity 4? Something where you can watch your decisions play out in a somewhat organic manner rather than placing everything individually.

I've played Factorio, Anno 2070, SimCity 3000/4, Civ5/6, a little bit of Dyson Sphere Program, but couldn't get into Cities: Skylines.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Factum est posted:

Any suggestions of city/factory/logistics builders/sims in the vein of SimCity 4? Something where you can watch your decisions play out in a somewhat organic manner rather than placing everything individually.

I've played Factorio, Anno 2070, SimCity 3000/4, Civ5/6, a little bit of Dyson Sphere Program, but couldn't get into Cities: Skylines.

Mini Metro and/or Mini Motorways

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Factum est posted:

You may also want to ask in the Management Megathread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

edit: wrong thread

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm (almost constantly) in the mood for 3D 6DoF story-driven science-fiction space sims with good HOTAS support and a good flight model (ie. not the arcade feel of Descend), and have played the usual suspects such as FreeSpace 1+2+ST, Elite:Dangerous (and the rest of the Elite series, over the years), and all the others - so I'm wondering if there's any that I've missed.

Thoughts?
Star Citizen isn't a game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have Turn-Based RPG recommendations for a person that strongly dislikes D&D combat system for having too much dice-rolling and too little interesting decision making?

Divinity: Original Sin 1/2 were the only ones that I could get into because the combat system actually had you do something interesting every turn and it was complex enough that it was really difficult to play optimally, which I thought was very fun.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm (almost constantly) in the mood for 3D 6DoF story-driven science-fiction space sims with good HOTAS support and a good flight model (ie. not the arcade feel of Descend), and have played the usual suspects such as FreeSpace 1+2+ST, Elite:Dangerous (and the rest of the Elite series, over the years), and all the others - so I'm wondering if there's any that I've missed.

Thoughts?

The X series jumps to mind. X Rebirth is the most story-driven of them but I have no idea what state it’s in now—it was a mess on release, and the voice acting was atrocious. X4 is the latest and has story missions but I can’t speak to the quality of them. The story is not really the selling point of the series. But in terms of variety and quality of the ship flying it’s right up there

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The X series jumps to mind. X Rebirth is the most story-driven of them but I have no idea what state it’s in now—it was a mess on release, and the voice acting was atrocious. X4 is the latest and has story missions but I can’t speak to the quality of them. The story is not really the selling point of the series. But in terms of variety and quality of the ship flying it’s right up there
The X series is loving excellent, and X4 especially makes it genuinely viable to play sort-of like FreeSpace.
Which I have. Several hundreds of hours. :v:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone have Turn-Based RPG recommendations for a person that strongly dislikes D&D combat system for having too much dice-rolling and too little interesting decision making?

Divinity: Original Sin 1/2 were the only ones that I could get into because the combat system actually had you do something interesting every turn and it was complex enough that it was really difficult to play optimally, which I thought was very fun.

Link to Steam's turn based RPG's

https://store.steampowered.com/category/rpg_turn_based/#p=0&tab=NewReleases

Battle Brothers might work for you. Darkest Dungeon is another good one. I really liked Bravely Default II on Switch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Traditional roguelikes can fill this need. In particular, I'd recommend Dungeonmans, Tangledeep, Caves of Qud, and Sproggiwood. Sproggiwood especially has a very puzzle-like approach to combat, where each turn makes a big difference, especially if you play on its hard difficulty. The others are a bit more loosely-designed, but still give you interesting, tactical turn-based combat with a lot of buttons you can press.

If you need to control multiple characters, arguably the XCOM games also qualify, though I suspect they're not really what you were thinking of.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Jack Trades posted:

The Shadowrun games are turn-based and cover-based in the nu XCOM style. While the battle system is fairly simple, the battles are usually set pieces with often more going on than just killing the enemy. The first game is the weakest, but works as an introduction to the Shadowrun setting in case you care. It's very skippable, and the later games have better stories and encounter design.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

StoryTime posted:

The Shadowrun games are turn-based and cover-based in the nu XCOM style. While the battle system is fairly simple, the battles are usually set pieces with often more going on than just killing the enemy. The first game is the weakest, but works as an introduction to the Shadowrun setting in case you care. It's very skippable, and the later games have better stories and encounter design.

I would 1000% skip the first Shadowrun, but the second one Shadowrun Dragonfall is quite good.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

There was some chat about exploration-focused buildy-crafty games earlier. I've had a lot of fun with Valheim, Terraria, and modded Minecraft, but I'm hoping to try something new. Especially in Valheim, I found myself craving a wider variety of options for stuff to build with and ways to engage with the world. A firebolt wand or some new monster allies would have really perked things up.

Is Craftopia any good? From what I've seen, it is intensely janky, but they definitely do mash a bunch of options into it. I first heard of the game around the time that the same developer's trailers for Palworld made gaming news. Back then, people seemed pretty annoyed with it in the Steam reviews, but I heard someone mention Craftopia again in a podcast a while back. Apparently the devs have continued to add new stuff and fix bugs, with another big update announced that will replace instanced islands with a big continuous map.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jack Trades posted:

gohuskies posted:

I would 1000% skip the first Shadowrun, but the second one Shadowrun Dragonfall is quite good.

I would skip them all, probably. I played the first one and it was distinctly medium. Everyone said Dragonfall was better and I got halfway through it but it just not much better and with a plot that I was convinced I knew exactly where it was going so I lost interest. Everyone then said Hong Kong was better and I never bought it because that had been enough of my money and time.

But take what I say with the consideration that I also couldn't finish Battletech, which I believe puts me in the vast minority. I am familiar with the worlds of both games, but no FASA world HBS game was worth your time. I am familiar with both worlds, too, but not overly fandomy either.

In the vein with people suggesting X-Com-alikes, X-Com Chimera Squad is like babby's first X-Com. I don't think it can hold a candle to the others for replayablity but I had fun for 10 bux. The interwoven turn systems where one enemy goes, one hero goes, and you can mess with that initiative order was very fun.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I rather liked Troubleshooter - Abandoned Children as a game that leads looking like an X-Com and rapidly morphs into more of a Final Fantasy Tactics sorta thing with innumerable fiddly subsystems and ways to break the game, along with opposition that gradually scales into something that actually justifies building those kinda characters.

Combat definitely felt like it challenged me with meaningful decisions, and I really enjoyed the progression too.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

If you enjoyed Larian studios games, maybe they will reconcile you with D&D since they are in charge of Baldur's gate III, meaning their signature combat system with D&D setting. Still in early access but it is definitely going to be their best game so far (for people who enjoyed their previous games). Also the game is so rich I was OK playing early access because it played like an extended tutorial so I know what I really want to try for the full game.

Yes there is dice rolling but you still have that "do something interesting every turn" going on. Kind of like a D&D X-Com.

Also heard good things about Solasta : Crown of the Magister but never tried it.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 9, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

avoraciopoctules posted:

There was some chat about exploration-focused buildy-crafty games earlier. I've had a lot of fun with Valheim, Terraria, and modded Minecraft, but I'm hoping to try something new. Especially in Valheim, I found myself craving a wider variety of options for stuff to build with and ways to engage with the world. A firebolt wand or some new monster allies would have really perked things up.

Is Craftopia any good? From what I've seen, it is intensely janky, but they definitely do mash a bunch of options into it. I first heard of the game around the time that the same developer's trailers for Palworld made gaming news. Back then, people seemed pretty annoyed with it in the Steam reviews, but I heard someone mention Craftopia again in a podcast a while back. Apparently the devs have continued to add new stuff and fix bugs, with another big update announced that will replace instanced islands with a big continuous map.

A lot of people have played it (not me) in the Management thread that's been linked twice in the last few days.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Ahhh, I thought Management games were something very different. Thanks!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Solasta is 5th ed d&d which has far more interesting combat than pathfinder/3rd ed. It is shaping up to be a Skyrim/Neverwinter nights model: base game is certainly fine, but the engine allows for a ton of player content.

I’ve played through the main campaign and another 20ish hour player made campaign and it’s excellent grid based, individual initiative ran, combat that caps out at level 12 so you don’t have to deal with the real dumb parts of dnd.

The game also has a ton of verticality which makes some set pieces really interesting.

I really enjoyed it, the mod community is churning out content, and it doesn’t really waste your time with faffing around in town or lame puzzles.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Solasta is 5th ed d&d which has far more interesting combat than pathfinder/3rd ed. It is shaping up to be a Skyrim/Neverwinter nights model: base game is certainly fine, but the engine allows for a ton of player content.

I’ve played through the main campaign and another 20ish hour player made campaign and it’s excellent grid based, individual initiative ran, combat that caps out at level 12 so you don’t have to deal with the real dumb parts of dnd.

The game also has a ton of verticality which makes some set pieces really interesting.

I really enjoyed it, the mod community is churning out content, and it doesn’t really waste your time with faffing around in town or lame puzzles.

Yeah, Solasta's base campaign is just "fine" but with luck it will take off and be NWN with good combat.

What was the player campaign? I haven't really dived into them yet

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You can play the first Shadowrun in the Dragonfall client, with all the gameplay and UI improvements that entails fyi

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, Solasta's base campaign is just "fine" but with luck it will take off and be NWN with good combat.

What was the player campaign? I haven't really dived into them yet

Ruins of Ilthismar. I went a little bit into Caer Falcarn but I was getting burnt out so I dropped it for now. My brain is going back to want to play it some more (maybe with a 5 man party with a mod just for a bit more variety).

The big problem with current user campaigns is that can’t get too vertical because of the current tools so you don’t get as neat of set pieces.

Still fun content though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for a game with crafting, but with ingredient complexity (or lack thereof) on the level of This War of Mine. This War of Mine has Wood, Components, Parts (Coghweels), Electronic Parts, and Weapon Parts. Everything else is unique items that make exactly one thing after an injection of the above, like "Broken Rifle".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be that surprised if what I'm asking for doesn't really exist -- a lot of the appeal of Factorio to me is super-grognardy "it's basically an engineering problem thinly disguised as a game", which tends to go hand in hand with a very blunt, functional aesthetic and if there's a narrative or theme at all it's typically very man-vs-nature. Meanwhile games that look like Stardew Valley are generally going for a very casual, relaxing type of experience, which tends to preclude more difficult puzzles/design problems and to lean more towards "here's a simple, repetitive activity to zone out to", which isn't bad but won't hold my attention.

Something like My Time At Portia looks like generally the right sort of gameplay niche, but the aesthetics look like "this is where bad Miis go to suffer in the afterlife." (It's really just the characters, too, the environmental assets look nice enough, but ugh, those dead eyes -- I wonder what drove that decision?)

Oxygen Not Included is very close to being the solution, but no co-op and also while it tones down the plate-spinning a little bit relative to its predecessor Don't Starve, it's still a game that expects you to continually deal with the fallout of past decisions / construction while the great thing about Factorio is that it has tremendous respect for the player's time -- anything you've already proven you can do can be 100% automated, and if you need to expand it it's almost as simple as copy and paste.
Satisfactory?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's only a few inches away from modded Minecraft, but how about Vintage Story? It's largely focused on survival and light automation, but it's also got a lot of decorative options (and a pretty good micro-chiseling mechanic that lets you make your own stuff), which helps the whole thing look a lot prettier than the hodge-podge mess of textures and machines that modded MC usually is (though I'd say it doesn't look quite as good as some of the best texture packs for MC out there). The crafting mechanics tend to be more challenging, but that also creates a huge sense of achievement - firing your first clay pot or baking your first pie will make you feel like you own the world, and completing your first windmill will make you feel like you own the universe. There's also some environmental storytelling with lore items that you can find in ruins and stuff, and the online servers I've seen are pretty chill and full of people willing to trade you whatever you're short on, which makes your projects go by a lot faster.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Thoughts?

You probably played it, but House of the Dying Sun is magnificent and has a cool story. And Star Wars: Squadrons is awesome if you're looking for something like Tie Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SexyBlindfold posted:

It's only a few inches away from modded Minecraft, but how about Vintage Story? It's largely focused on survival and light automation, but it's also got a lot of decorative options (and a pretty good micro-chiseling mechanic that lets you make your own stuff), which helps the whole thing look a lot prettier than the hodge-podge mess of textures and machines that modded MC usually is (though I'd say it doesn't look quite as good as some of the best texture packs for MC out there). The crafting mechanics tend to be more challenging, but that also creates a huge sense of achievement - firing your first clay pot or baking your first pie will make you feel like you own the world, and completing your first windmill will make you feel like you own the universe. There's also some environmental storytelling with lore items that you can find in ruins and stuff, and the online servers I've seen are pretty chill and full of people willing to trade you whatever you're short on, which makes your projects go by a lot faster.

That sounds cool. And oh, neat, it started out as a minecraft mod but is now running on their own homebrewed engine.

It only being on itch.io (and humble?) makes the :20bux: price tag hard to swallow. Do you know what the gamepad support is like?

How discoverable is it? Is it like factorio where you can pretty much figure things out from what the game tells you? Or is it more like Don't Starve where you're pretty much stuck playing with a wiki open?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 13, 2022