Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Pimpcasso posted:

wrastling is fake

no dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tell that to QuadGOAT Vince Mechaman

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The tl;dr is that Vince, like Trump, is a crass lout who thought having money meant you were automatically part of high society, only to get repeatedly reminded that he's just the biggest carny on the fairgrounds and that's all he's ever gonna be, and it's driven him completely insane

AND both of them have to live in a world where people who don't care about that poo poo can also all be far more important, and wealthier, AND influential in every aspect, like like Bezos and Musk and Zuckerberg and Gates and Buffett. And they really don't care about the high society money or how anybody views them, they only care about what they do on a daily basis. (But to be fair, Zuckerberg's autistic and isn't capable of caring about a lot of 'social' things. Maybe Vince would be happier if he had the syndrome and had a brain that broken differently to be fixated a certain way?)

And wrestling is LARPing on a grand scale but somehow doesn't get written off as "nerdy." Funny how things work out that way.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ask vince if it's his tuxedo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pimpcasso posted:

wrastling is fake

People who say this don't know what it means lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

what does it mean?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

One Man Gang is one of the absolute best wrestling names ever.

Also, for a big guy, he was half-decent in that era.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So more news has come out about why Shane McMahon got fired, which includes him wanting to book himself as #1 in the Royal Rumble so he could be the "iron man" of the match and last like 50 minutes before making it in third place. Nobody else wanted that, especially winner Brock Lesnar, and it got vetoed.

This reminds me of another great WTF WWE moment from a few years ago. The big main event for SummerSlam was Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton. WWE wanted the match to have a controversial ending that made Brock look like a monster. The plan was that Brock was going to just gently caress Orton up and win by referee stoppage. Sure, fine.

The problem was that WWE was vehemently against the idea of blading (for the uninitiated, blading is when you sneakily cut part of your forehead with a concealed razor to make yourself bleed). Blading was banned, but you wouldn't get in trouble for legitimately getting busted open. WWE decided to get around this in the most unsafe was as possible by having Orton accidentally-on-purpose get his head torn open. They asked Brock to do a series of elbow strikes across the head that would safely bust Orton open. Brock certainly made him bleed, but there was nothing safe about it and Orton received a nasty concussion out of it.

Other wrestlers were not clued into this (wrestling promoters inexplicably think "working the boys" enhances the product in some way) and some were genuinely pissed about what looked like Brock being unprofessional. Chris Jericho was the only one pissed enough to confront Brock about it, but backstage people had to talk him down.

Anyway, Shane McMahon was an on-air authority figure at the time and showed up at the end of the PPV to check up on Orton. Brock hit him with his finisher, the F5, and left. Middle-age schlub Shane almost completely shrugged off the move and angrily watched him leave. This was apparently Shane angling to set up Brock vs. Shane at WrestleMania, but there was zero follow-up because Brock absolutely wanted nothing to do with that and said that there was no chance.

Orton was legit mad about the whole situation and made it publicly known that he never wanted to work with Brock again. WWE tried to make good by having Orton win the title at the next WrestleMania. He won it in a match where images of maggots and cockroaches were randomly projected onto the ring because wrestling is weird.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Gavok posted:

So more news has come out about why Shane McMahon got fired, which includes him wanting to book himself as #1 in the Royal Rumble so he could be the "iron man" of the match and last like 50 minutes before making it in third place. Nobody else wanted that, especially winner Brock Lesnar, and it got vetoed.

Lmao this is even stupider because who the hell would believe Shane McMahon would ever be #1 in the Royal Rumble? Even beyond that who would care and be hyped about Shane being #1??

Jesus the dude really is Don Jr

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Elephant Ambush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKECiyIsq3I

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

I haven't really watched wrestling since the early 90s so I appreciate all the effortposting catching me up on all the trainwreck of nonsense and intrigue I missed out on.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know too much about Vince or Donnie's parents; all joking aside what's this now about them possibly being brothers by blood and not 'creepy assholes who want to gently caress their daughters and are monsters to everyone.'

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't know too much about Vince or Donnie's parents; all joking aside what's this now about them possibly being brothers by blood and not 'creepy assholes who want to gently caress their daughters and are monsters to everyone.'

0%

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I don't know ore care about them being brothers, but they are for sure creepy assholes who want to gently caress their daughters.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I think it's greater than zero.

Here's a picture of Vince McMahon Sr and DJT.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

PeterCat posted:

I think it's greater than zero.

Here's a picture of Vince McMahon Sr and DJT.

I mean, we all see what we want to see but there's a much stronger resemblance between these two than Fred and Donald

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
"pro wrestling is real. people are fake!"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I'd like to see Shane-o-Mac booked as #1 in the Royal Rumble, but only to see him totally gassed and flailing about the ring throughout the event.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Vice President posted:

I haven't really watched wrestling since the early 90s so I appreciate all the effortposting catching me up on all the trainwreck of nonsense and intrigue I missed out on.

That was the point. That and all the best known 'Vince is a loon' stories were mentioned already. You have to dig some if you want more.

Like him and Virgil Runnels, for example. Runnels is better known under his wrestling stage name, Dusty Rhodes, the American Dream. Rhodes was the 'South's' Hulk Hogan type (if we consider the WWE the 'North'), in the sense he was their superhero, though while Hogan was presented as a larger than life superman, Rhodes was presented as a everyman who had been through all walks of life, and his sheer charisma and poetic promos (most famously, "I have wined and dined with kings and queens, and I've slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans.") made up for the fact that in terms of appearance, he was a rotund blonde with a generally sleepy expression, which isn't exactly the traditional concept of a 'man's man tough guy' (despite that, he was actually in great shape, as he had more than a few 60 minute draw matches in his heyday). Dusty also often worked as a writer and booker, and while he was very hit or miss (and his hits and misses tended towards the extreme: in terms of 'hits', he created the popular 'War Games' style of match, which was 'two rings, in a cage, ten men, released one at a time, match can't end until all are in the ring". And in misses, he tended to use the "someone wins a title, then the win gets overturned immediately or almost immediately later for some reason" result so often it became known as "The Dusty Finish"), when he hit, he hit. Wrestling, in the end, would have been poorer without all his efforts.

So, as Vince is destroying the territory system and growing the WWE, Dusty and the NWA (later WCW) basically ended up last man standing in terms of serious competition. Vince decides just fighting in business ain't enough, oh no. He never grew out of the schoolyard bully mindset. So he signs Ted Dibiase, a talented and charismatic wrestler, and basically gives him the gimmick of "Vince himself, idealized", the "Million Dollar Man, Ted Dibiase", an ultra rich "What my victories won't get me, my money will" (Ex: He offered to buy the WWF title from Hulk Hogan. When Hogan, of course, refused, DiBiase hired Andre the Giant to beat Hogan instead, and then paid him off so Andre would give the title to him when he did, and on top of that he hired the twin brother of an established WWF referee to impersonate him and cheat Hogan out of said title), and they decided to give him an 'aide', which was presented with strong hints of "This is actually a manservant, wink wink." Who do they pick for this job? Black wrestler Mike Jones. And what do they name his "aide" character? Virgil. Who would often bear the wrath of Dibiase's foes when Dibiase ran away, but then again, that might well have happened no matter what his ethnicity was.

(And one story claims that Mike Jones was very well endowed and got his job by pulling out his dick for Pat Patterson, who was gay. That's as far as the story went from what I read, so I have no idea if he did more or let Patterson do more or if he just went "Hey, LOOKIT THIS" as a way to get an edge on being hired)

But the nature of wrestling is that even those most associated with one territory will come to work for the 'competition', and so in the mid-80's, due to Dusty getting fired*, Vince hired him for the WWF. Now, considering it seemed like Vince really didn't like the man, he could just have, you know, not hired him. Or he could have put aside his bad feelings and taken advantage of the fact that he had one of the biggest stars he hadn't already had or formed now in his service and could book some dream matches that could draw large gates, ratings, and PPV buys. But oh no. None of that matters to Vince. He don't care about what the fans might want. He cares about showing the world who has the power, even if 99.5 percent of it are completely oblivious to that fact. But in the end, 9 times out of 10, Vince will do it because Vince Wants To.

So Dusty gets debuted by a series of videos where his 'everyman' gimmick is taken to the logical extreme and he's shown plunging toilets and working as a garbageman. He gets dressed in a full torso suit covered in yellow polka dots, and he comes out dancing to a song talking about how he's just a common man 'working hard for the man' and that he's 'redneck funky'. He's kept firmly in the midcard, given a valet who's a middle aged black woman, who Ted Dibiase 'steals' by 'corrupting' her with money, and in general, he's made to look like just another goof. Never mind that he could be used to make money. To Vince, all that matters is going "This is a false star and you are stupid for liking him". And just to drive home Vince's delusion, Dusty's so innately charismatic that he manages to 'get over' (become popular and cheered) ANYWAY, even with how ridiculous his presentation is. In the end, Vince basically let Dusty resign, unable to wholly 'destroy' him, and Dusty went back to the NWA/WCW,

So, all that, just so Vince can feel in control.

* Showing that Dusty might have been closer to Vince than he realized, Dusty's firing came about when the NWA/eventual WCW was purchased by Turner Broadcasting, who decreed 'no more on screen bloodletting' (see: Blading, per the Randy Orton/Brock Lesnar story above). Dusty, furious over being told what to do, immediately booked and presented on TV a bit where he would be attacked and beaten up by the Road Warriors, who would promptly 'jam a spike into his eye', causing a very large bleeding wound, which promptly got him fired.

(And just for some further symmetry and irony, Dusty's last angle with the WWF was based around Mike Jones-Virgil, whose character, after being abused by the Million Dollar Man for years, finally snapped and turned on him. This actually got him 'over', ie, he got a storyline that was popular and people wanted to see him fight and beat DiBiase, which lasted throughout 1991 and was basically the pinnacle of Mike Jones' career; it had cooled off by 1992 and Virgil spent the rest of his wrestling days being a midcarder, lower midcarder, or general lackey. The last ironies were when he left WWF for WCW to be part of the famous NWO angle, he got renamed. To Vincent. And after a few years as Vincent, he got renamed again. To Shane. So Mike Jones basically made a career out of two wrestling companies taking childish 'inside' potshots at each other)

(And as I'm sure some people will post, Mr. Jones seems to have a BIT of a delusion about just how popular and influential he was in his years as DiBiase's lackey and being part of the NWO, but I'll let others show that glorious/sad nonsense)

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 10, 2022

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in wrestling they say real poo poo for fake reasons, until it's time to have fake fights for real reasons

it's like Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

e: man should I explain that?
eeeeeeeeeeeehhhh

I'll explain that if anyone asks me to. otherwise it can just be some stupid poo poo I said. this way everybody wins 👍

Cubone fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 7, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vice President posted:

Can I tell you about one of my favorite periods in wrestling? It's essentially three back-to-back storylines involving one wrestler.

Everyone, this is Kane.

His backstory is he is the brother of The Undertaker. The Undertaker's backstory is he is a magic demon zombie, and he set Kane on fire, so now Kane is a magic fire zombie.

Sometimes they're fine with all that though.

OK so we've mentioned Triple H before. Triple H's character is.... he doesn't really have one, actually. He started off as a snobbish rich guy from Connecticut, and then just became a general prick. Kane and Triple H had a feud which came about because Triple H wanted to be a prick.

To antagonize the magic fire zombie, Triple H said he knew about "Katie Vick." Apparently, Katie Vick was a girl Kane knew back in school and had a crush on (it's suggested she did not like him back). Kane was out driving with her, got into a car crash, and she died.

Remember, this is Kane.

OK, so now Triple H is suggesting that Kane had sex with Katie Vick's dead body, going so far as to dress a mannequin up like a cheerleader and refer to her as Katie. Going so far as to film... this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWOAzDw4Hg

So they have their big fight and Kane loses. Then they have their rematch and Kane wins. Then- OK eventually Kane gets a chance to face Triple H for the Big Important Belt, but if Kane loses the match... he has to take off his mask!

The reason Kane wears a mask is because he was horribly disfigured when Undertaker burned him (Hmmm, I wonder what day that took place?). He even used to wear a costume that covered more of his body because he was scarred all over and he also couldn't talk, but I guess those things got better. But regardless, Kane has always worn a mask of some sort for as long as he had been Kane, which was the better part of a decade. If he loses his mask? Oh wow holy poo poo guys!

So he loses. He has to take off his mask! OH WOW HOLY poo poo GUYS!

...huh.

Now I know what you're thinking. "Did WWE put black makeup on Kane to make him seem horribly burned and disfigured?" and the answer is "Maybe?" It's more likely that he would wear black around his eyes for an effect when wearing his mask and he just sweated it all over his face though. But that doesn't explain THAT HAIR. WHAT IS THAT HAIR.

The next time we see Kane, he looks like this.

Also he was kinda freaking out about being unmasked and beating people up and setting them on fire. It's kinda suggested it was all some sort of psychological thing where HE saw himself as disfigured but never really was, which contradicts plenty of stuff over the years, but whatever. Anyway he got in a fight with his brother again for a little bit and that's how Kane got to stop wearing a mask, at least for a while.

Next time; Loss.jpg comes to wrestling.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kane sucked

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gjTc7NvLNM
ITS CARNAGE! ITS CARNAGE!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

To bring this back to Vince, the whole "Triple H dresses as Kane and fucks a mannequin" bit was his idea and he apparently spent the whole day laughing his rear end off about it. The public's reaction was basically, "Wow, that was maybe the stupidest thing WWE's ever put on TV." A week later, Triple H -- speaking for Vince -- cut an angry promo about how people are stupid for not thinking that the Katie Vick bit wasn't the greatest poo poo ever.

Similarly, Triple H cut a promo several years ago in response to something fans hated and joked about how his friend "Mark" called and told him that he was going to stop watching WWE. This was him basically laughing at how people say they'll stop watching and never do. Anyway, people go back to that clip a lot because WWE currently gets like a third of the ratings compared to that episode.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
When we last left Kane, he had been antagonized by a grown man having sex with a mannequin and lost his mask.

So Kane's continuing to be a loving psychopath, and he sets his sights on a woman named Lita.

Lita was often teamed up with the Hardy Boyz, pictured here. She was even dating Matt, the super-cool dude on the left. Their whole thing was they were TOTALLY EXTREME and also kinda pretty for wrestlers, so the ladies liked looking at them and the guys liked seeing them doing insane stunts. Lita was no slouch and would keep up with them in doing huge flying leaps and killer spots, in an era of wrestling where women were mostly used for catfights, strutting around in bikinis, and being objects passed around between wrestlers instead of being treated like actual human beings.

So now we get to see Lita passed around between wrestlers instead of being treated like an actual human being. Kane kidnaps her. Matt Hardy fights Kane because THAT'S MY PROPERTY NOT YOURS!

This isn't related to anything. I just want you to remember the good times.

Lita finds out she's pregnant.

It's not Matt's baby.

Kane raped her.

Matt Hardy and Kane fight over who gets to marry Lita. Kane wins. Lita is now dragged alongside him all the time, and she tries to screw over his matches and stuff in an effort to get Kane to attack her and cause a miscarriage.

It gets worse so here's another cool gif.

Now let's meet GENE SNITSKY.

Greatest wrestling name ever.

Gene Snitsky debuted in a match against Kane. Lita was there. She distracted Kane, which lets Snitsky get in a cheap shot, which caused Kane to fall on Lita.

Please absolutely watch this video. You will thank me for it.

Now, a miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And I know that it’s often much harder on the woman than on the man. But in this case, it was definitely much harder on Kane. He ended up getting a feud with Snitsky over it, while Snitsky's entire character ended up being repeating "IT. WASN'T. MY. FAULT!" It even became his theme music.

I should point out that this made Kane into a good guy, and actually united Kane and Lita. Snitsky's character would eventually lean into the whole thing and torment both Lita and Kane over the miscarriage. He would beat Kane in a match and sideline him for months with an "injury" (Kane needed time off to film a movie, which would be released on some day I don't know what day though), which then left Snitsky to just go after Lita, and not much else. Kane would come back and beat Snitsky, whose character then shifted to being a creep with a foot fetish.

But now, I give you;
Gene Snitsky Punts a Baby

So what happens to Lita and Matt Hardy, you might wonder? Well, Lita cheated on Matt Hardy with fellow wrestler Edge. Matt posted about it online, and was fired for breaking the illusion of wrestling all being real (just think about this for a moment, with everything I've already told you in mind). All of this was all over the internet for fans to hear about, and they were pretty pissed at WWE, and pretty pissed at Lita. They would slut-shame her in live shows and chant that they wanted Matt back. Eventually, WWE would lean into this and have her become a bad guy and start an on-screen relationship with Edge, where her character was now "Slut." Complete with Edge and Lita having a "Live Sex Celebration" in the middle of the ring in a bed.

Oh and then Matt Hardy got re-hired and would feud with Edge. Because this is all a very healthy way to run a business.

Next time; A day to remember.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 27, 2022

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

But also at least 100%. It's both at the same time, and it always has been.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Next time; A day to remember.

Jesus christ, I picked a great time to stop watching

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Schrödinger's cuck

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Jesus christ, I picked a great time to stop watching

My dude, the Snitsky angle was so indescribably bad and tasteless. That was a really good write-up, and it still does not even come close expressing how loving vile and poo poo it was.

e: yes, you picked a really good time to stop watching

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

kane is a goon but his posts loving suck and he's the worst wrestling goon we have. gently caress you, kane

the best wrestling goon is a lovely dude named johnny blast and i wish this thread were about him instead

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 7, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
When we last left Kane, he had gone from a rapist to a hero rapist, and filmed a movie.

So like I said, Kane was sidelined with a storyline injury so he could film See No Evil, one of WWE's early ventures into making movies under their WWE Films banner. They really wanted to make movies, and would put them into theatres and stuff just like real movies!

Watch a trailer for it!

See No Evil was set to be released on May 19th. But there was a slight issue; The utter mention of the date "May 19th" would send Kane into a psychotic, murderous rage. He would turn on anybody, included his Current Best Friend, The Big Show.

Big Show is very big.

Now, you might immediately think "Hey, May 19th happens every year. Has this happened before?" Nope!

So then you might think "Is there something that happened recently that would suddenly make May 19th special?" Nope!

"So what is the deal with May 19th?"

Nope!

This went on for weeks. They would talk about the movie, May 19th would be mentioned, Kane would freak out. There even came moments were the big screen they have as part of the stage would show Kane's old mask and lights would change and you'd hear spooky sounds and voices (except you were supposed to pretend you didn't see any of this because it was all in Kane's head).

So what happened when May 19th actually came? Well... the movie came out.

I like my women like I like my slice-and-dice-'em horror flicks.

Afterward, some commentator guy would talk to Kane and be like "Hey, Kane? The gently caress?" and Kane's answer was "Oh yeah, May 19th is the day of my origin story where Undertaker (or maybe someone else by this point who loving knows) burned my family alive and disfigured me (but I got better). Haha, crazy stuff. But at least that's all behind us now!"

Except it wasn't. Kane would have a match but it would get interrupted by those silly theatrics again, and then out comes... Kane?

The outfit is supposed to be the one Kane wore when he first debuted. It probably IS the same one. But putting it on someone else who is not Kane and giving them a horrible wig makes it look like they got it from a Spirit Halloween.

Fake Kane would torment and beat up Real Kane for weeks leading up to a Big Match at the Big Event. When Real Kane was asked about all this, he simply suggested he knew who the imposter was, and that it was someone from his past, and he was very scared of him.

Fake Kane won at the Big Event. The very next night, Fake Kane would once again show up to do his spooky thing, but Real Kane beat the crap out of him and kicked him out of the building. The End.

Apparently the higher-ups decided the whole thing was poo poo and nobody wanted to see it continue.

So we will probably never know who Fake Kane was supposed to be, but the man behind the mask would get another shot on TV soon enough. But maybe that's a story someone else can tell us about.

Kane - real name Glenn Jacobs - is now currently the Libertarian-Republican mayor of Knox County, Tennessee.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Man, Lita ruled so hard. She was head and shoulders above all the other women wrestlers in Attitude Era WWE. She got done dirty in her last appearance having *sigh* Cryme Tyme come out and sell off her panties and reveal her yeast infection cream.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Lita is wrestling the champ at the next Premium Live Event, idk who Cryme Tyme is

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ad by Khad posted:

Lita is wrestling the champ at the next Premium Live Event, idk who Cryme Tyme is

Cryme Tyme is just a normal tag team given a totally normal name by Vince

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Ad by Khad posted:

They were a tag team of two black THUG LIFE wrestlers whose whole gimmick was being PG thugs and stealing stuff and sometimes selling it to the crowd. They even got fired for it by going off script at a house show, 'beating up' a ref, stealing his belt, and auctioning it off to the crowd.

After a bit (I think eight months? A year at most) they came back, but eventually they broke up because one of them was Big And Muscular and hence Vince decided he wanted to push him. Then he got bored and the big one, Shad Gaspard (his real name, actually)'s push vanished and he got released within eight months, whereas his partner, JTG (real name: Jayson Paul) remained, and after a while became an internet wrestling community running gag that he kept being used on house shows and whatnot as opening match talent for YEARS while other, bigger wrestlers got fired; he even got a website that listed how long he had been employed. But eventually his luck ran out and he also got released in one of WWE's oft-yearly release bunches. I think the website is still up with the exact amount of time JTG spent employed listed.

Then Shad died saving his son from a severe riptide on a beach, just one of the many reasons 2020 utterly sucked, but at least he died a hero instead of overdosing in some run down hotel like so many of his peers.

----

Bogus Adventure posted:

Man, Lita ruled so hard. She was head and shoulders above all the other women wrestlers in Attitude Era WWE. She got done dirty in her last appearance having *sigh* Cryme Tyme come out and sell off her panties and reveal her yeast infection cream.

Yeah. It's considered 'tradition' that if a wrestler is leaving or retiring, they 'go out on their back', ie lose to make someone else look good. But WWE is run by perverts and misogynists like every other business, so not only did Lita lose her final match as 'per tradition', afterwards she got humiliated one final time. I can even see the logic of it; Lita's 'betrayal' of Matt was 'never forgiven' (but wait) by the fans and she was 'forever' the Treacherous Slut, and every crowd would let her know it, in a weird mix of mark "She is bad and we will call her bad names!" and internet types "She loving betrayed Matt and I am going to make sure the whore knows it, no never mind it takes two to cheat and Edge never got this nasty real life aspect for his part as part of his 'heel heat' but she's the woman so she's A WHHHOOORRREEEEE". She's retiring, might as well get in a final boot stomp from the fans so she can know how bad it was that she did Those Bad Things.

But if it makes you feel any better, afterwards her friends took her out to a quiet goodbye party, and when she returned for a guest appearance a few years later, the absence had made the fans forget their stupid (and inconsistent, and misogynist, and taken too far) grudge and she was cheered as any returning 'legend' would be, which has remained the case ever since.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 7, 2022

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I rewatched Wrestlemania 31 for some reason, and am now particularly despondent about the years long effort to destroy Bray Wyatt’s heat. Why would they mess with that entrance song and gimmick? Ugh

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Kuato posted:

I rewatched Wrestlemania 31 for some reason, and am now particularly despondent about the years long effort to destroy Bray Wyatt’s heat. Why would they mess with that entrance song and gimmick? Ugh

Vince didn't come up with it.

That is the answer 95 percent of the time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cornwind Evil posted:

Vince didn't come up with it.

That is the answer 95 percent of the time.

That's a good enough excuse for me to bring up the utter weirdness of Sting in WWE.

Sting was WCW's golden boy. Even when the company was loving up left and right, at least they always had Sting to be their ace. Then WCW went under and Vince bought it. Certain top WCW wrestlers had their own special contracts (Sting, Goldberg, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Diamond Dallas Page, etc.) that weren't purchased in the acquisition, so if Vince wanted to do a big WWF vs. WCW storyline featuring the actual top names, he'd have to pony up more money. Vince was fine with just having WWF take on what was effectively WCW's midcard. Diamond Dallas Page was so excited about the prospect of WWF vs. WCW that he decided to forego his contract and sign with WWF.

This turned out to be a big mistake as the big WWF vs. WCW feud was incredibly one-sided and made the WCW guys look like absolute jokes at nearly every turn. ESPECIALLY DDP. As it turns out, Vince was especially mad about WCW's very existence and how close they came to putting his company out of business. Instead of making a story that made the two sides look equally formidable (which is how you make money in wrestling), he just drove home how WCW was made up of losers to the point that he had WWF guys join WCW's side to even things out.

After that storyline was done, the bigger names gradually started to show up. Sting wasn't interested, blaming religious reasons at the time. Instead, he went to TNA, where they mostly treated him like a king despite their own utter badness. Plus he had an infamous PPV match against a very drugged up Jeff Hardy that's a story in itself.

Going into the 2010s, the one dream match that people had wanted to see for years was Undertaker vs. Sting. Both guys were getting on in years and the window for such a match was closing. Undertaker especially was down to appearing for one or two matches a year due to how broken down his body was getting.

A vignette building towards the Undertaker's return was shown, but to many fans, it looked like it was WWE announcing the coming of Sting. While it turned out not to be Sting, it at least showed that there was huge interest in seeing him pop up in WWE.

2K Games signed a contract with Sting to appear as pre-order DLC in one of their WWE 2K games. On an episode of Raw, they showed a completely kickass trailer revealing Sting and you could hear the people in the crowd losing their poo poo over it. Then the logo for the game followed by thousands of people all sighing and groaning at once.

Eventually, WWE did sign Sting and he made an appearance preventing Triple H from interfering in the finals of a big Survivor Series match. Constantly called "The Vigilante Sting," he would appear now and then to offset Triple H from abusing his authority. The two were immediately set to have a match at WrestleMania.

Unfortunately, Vince McMahon could not let poo poo go.

Triple H and Stephanie would mention that Sting has come for Triple H because he's angry that WCW lost the war so many years ago. Sting cut a promo explaining that that was very much not the case and he was there to take on Triple H's corruption. Triple H and Stephanie would continue to rant about how this was a WCW thing and the commentators would side with them.

The match itself was stupid as hell. Triple H's buddies D-Generation X came out to help him and Sting was helped out by the nWo... who were his biggest enemies in WCW. But they were WCW back then, so... they're allies now? Meanwhile, one of the commentators (with Vince in his earpiece) would not shut the gently caress up about how WCW lost the war with WWF and WCW was made up of a bunch of loser assholes. Then Triple H won even though everyone agrees that that was the wrong call. They brought in Sting, called him a bitter loser, then had him lose his big match. It also didn't help that they did Sting vs. Triple H when fans wanted Sting vs. Undertaker.

Sting didn't appear again for several months. He returned to feud with WWE Champion Seth Rollins (they needed the star power) and got his neck hosed up by a botched powerbomb to the corner. Afterwards, WWE wanted to profit from him, but not allow him to wrestle. They insisted that he suffered a career-ending injury and his in-ring days were finished.

During the first year of COVID, wrestling went all-in on "cinematic matches." Those were basically pre-taped matches that were more like mini-movies than a regular wrestling match. These have been a mixed bag, but they're great for hiding weaknesses and going full-on crazy, even supernatural. Sting suggested that he and Undertaker (who really wanted one last good match before retiring) could easily do a cool cinematic match. WWE turned him down and instead went with Undertaker vs. AJ Styles, which was fine, but not exactly a dream match decades in the making.

Annoyed, Sting signed with AEW, where he became a mentor to brooding skateboarder Darby Allin. Even though he's 62, Sting is in fantastic shape and has taken part in his share of tag matches where he's looking better than he has any right to be.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sting owns. He has transformed his gimmick throughout the decades and he still kicks rear end. Shame that Vince wouldn't let Sting vs. Undertaker happen because that would have been incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My greatest regret is losing a bunch of WCW autographs in a move my grandpa went to some event and had personally to signed to me.

I remember Ric Flair, Sting, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat and Johnny B Badd (with the best promo pic ever)