Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

to be blunt, that's the "get the gently caress over yourself" part of the advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Practise all of your tanking and healing and don't give a poo poo how other people feel about you, and once you have it sorted out, change data centers.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

but if you can't then a) i'm sorry and b) i have bad news regarding all the rest of your gameplay. unless you're so deluded that you think that you're not making any mistakes as not-tank

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
or just play dps, the coolest of roles

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My gameplay is 62% mistakes already but as a DPS it only gets me killed

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If you're worried about people forming a bad opinion of you, the fuckups people remember in leveling dungeons involve stupid arguments and prissy primadonna meltdowns, not just some guy overpulling or whatever

Nobody has the mental capacity to build a mental database of all subpar leveling dungeon tanks and somehow psychically transmit that information to the rest of the datacenter, as long as you're fixing mistakes as they happen and not getting in people's faces over it, even if you royally gently caress up nobody will give a poo poo for longer than half a day

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I mean not everyone can just not be anxious, even for stuff like games. On a bad day I'm physically incapable of safely driving a car. It didn't help that my first ever time tanking had a dps that flew ahead and pulled tons of poo poo while saying nothing in chat. I think after 6 months of hiding in the golden saucer and barely touching the game at all it was time to admit deafeat and look at not being the tank, and that its an achievment that I managed to tank the few I did.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 7, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

as someone who spends more time than i'd like tanking but drat the queues are nice, dps may not be directly getting the other party members killed (ignoring the many mechanics that if not correctly performed will kill the entire party) but i sure as gently caress notice when dps is slow because they're not pushing buttons and/or because they died and got rez sickness. and slow dps means longer fights means more pressure on the tank/healer means higher likelihood of wipes or straight up failing dps checks

you're not invisible or without responsibility as dps

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 7, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

I mean not everyone can just not be anxious, even for stuff like games. On a bad day I'm physically incapable of safely driving a car. It didn't help that my first ever time tanking had a dps that flew ahead and pulled tons of poo poo while saying nothing in chat. I think after 6 months of hiding in the golden saucer and barely touching the game at all it was time to admit deafeat and look at not being the tank, and that its an achievment that I managed to tank the few I did.

dps running and pulling ahead of a tank that isn't comfortable with it is lovely and probably reportable. i can't make you not anxious but i can say gently caress those assholes don't pay them any mind

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

being anxious over driving a car, a multi-ton hulk of metal and glass that can snuff out lives in an instant, is good and healthy; i wish more people were.

being anxious about tanking in final fantasy fourteen, a massive multiplayer online role playing game , is not

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

The Chairman posted:

If you're worried about people forming a bad opinion of you, the fuckups people remember in leveling dungeons involve stupid arguments and prissy primadonna meltdowns, not just some guy overpulling or whatever

Nobody has the mental capacity to build a mental database of all subpar leveling dungeon tanks and somehow psychically transmit that information to the rest of the datacenter, as long as you're fixing mistakes as they happen and not getting in people's faces over it, even if you royally gently caress up nobody will give a poo poo for longer than half a day

This. At the end of the day a wipe in a dungeon costs 2-3 minutes, time that people were expecting to spend in most roulettes anyway.

Standard advice applies.

1) Let folks know you're still learning the role and ask for patience.
2) If you aren't comfortable doing more than single pulls, state that up front. (Soon you will realize single pulls are basically you just dpsing and nothing else, so you will probably become bored of this soon enough and crave bigger pulls where you actually have to do Tank Things).
3) Know that tank privilege (read: disproportionately high HP and defense) is a very real thing and you can survive mistakes that would explode any non tank job. So if you gently caress up mitigation on a tankbuster or stand in an AOE or something it's even less likely to matter than usual. Tank privilege is the best.
4) Just to echo the Chairman again, the people that are remembered from random roulette groups aren't the tentative puller, they're the mouthy assholes or have annoying macros.

At the end of the day you may never get over tanxiety. That's fine! Not everyone has to play tank or have one levelled and geared up. But every main tank player started as a lower level tank who either didn't know wtf or only had some degree of learning via exposure to other group tanks.

If you want some low stress tank experience, go queue for guildhests, palace of the dead (where tanks are basically optional through any of the randomly matchmade floors) or do specific low level dungeons with friends who know you're learning. If the concern is centered around what happens when you gently caress up, there is plenty of low level small group content in this game that will teach you how many fuckups don't actually cause problems.

In general, speak up if you're uncertain about things - and this applies to any role. I had a roulette the other day where I was tanking the 90 MSQ dungeon and doing standard double pulls. We wiped on the second one. I asked if the healer would prefer singles and they then apologized and said they hadn't healed in a long time and were very uncertain about Scholar. I think they figured people would blow up at them for it. Instead the dps were super supportive, I shifted to single pulls, and since I know Scholar pretty well was able to give them some pointers about things I as the tank could tell would make their lives easier. Sure, the run took another 7-8 minutes, but the real problem wasn't the wipe or the extra time, it was another player sitting there stressing out because the group hit a speedbump and they didn't want to say anything up front. Speak up!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i also can't emphasize enough that a lot of us are literally watching a video on a second monitor while doing dungeons and roulettes, not going over all your individual decisions in instant replay

just because you notice all your mistakes doesn't mean others do; they probably adjust their play style to something more casual unless they're speedrunning jerks who everyone can get around hating on

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Another thing to consider about "easier" roles is that DPS have a lot of rotational buttons while tanks and healers have a lot of situational buttons. When you get to the point where you're repeating content you already know (and if you ever use any of the roulettes, you will), tanking and healing competently becomes very easy to autopilot, whereas DPSing competently requires a fair bit more attention to what buttons you're pushing when.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also "failure" in ffxiv is incredibly rare. of the thousands of duties i've run the number of
"failures" i've seen is incredibly small and the vast majority of those are the savage raids i've started over the past four days or the extreme trials i started a few weeks ago

wiping to a trash pull in a leveling dungeon is barely worth mentioning

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
as far as arguing is concerned, you'll probably spend most of your time in ff14 trying to take the blame for yourselves, basically canadian pvp where you weave as many apologies into your rotation

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

On one hand, I would never refuse a raise, especially in a role where I'm playing defense/support. On the other, I'm jealous of the sheer chutzpah. Saying "your rez macro is so bad that I refuse to continue playing the game with you" is a total power move.

Raise macros are just generally awful and I wish people would stop using them.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Relyssa posted:

Raise macros are just generally awful and I wish people would stop using them.

if your co-healer has the reflexes of a dead salmon they're not useful anyway. death to all combat macros (except living dead maybe)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
raises cost a lot of MP and require either standing still for 5 seconds or using a cooldown on a long timer, it's nice to make sure that you don't have both healers (or one healer and the summoner, etc) blowing resources and stopping DPS to duplicate effort

raise macros are okay as long as they're just "raising <t>", anything more than that and it's more noise than signal

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Speaking only for myself, but in practice if swiftcast is up, my MP's not running on fumes, and I don't see that the person already has a rez buff then I'll just swiftcast (+ thin air if WHM and it's available) rez them and move on, without checking or caring if someone else did the same. At most I might also check my cohealer's buffs to see if they've got a swiftcast primed themselves.

If deaths are happening regularly/numerously enough that swiftcast isn't up and I'm actually considering hardcasting rez, then yes I'll be paying more active attention to who's rezzing whom.

All of that is from a casual/pug content perspective. Any harder content will probably involve some voice chat anyway, at which point we can coordinate over that.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

raises are 8s without swift/dualcast and if you have half a braincell functioning as a healer you've pressed swiftcast before you've seen/heard the other healer's macro in chat (or you're both waiting for the other to raise). congrats on your swiftcast glare.

if it's a situation where cooperation/coordination is actually necessary (ex+) you likely have voice chat available

macros are poo poo in combat

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The Chairman posted:

raises cost a lot of MP and require either standing still for 5 seconds or using a cooldown on a long timer, it's nice to make sure that you don't have both healers (or one healer and the summoner, etc) blowing resources and stopping DPS to duplicate effort

raise macros are okay as long as they're just "raising <t>", anything more than that and it's more noise than signal

You can see targets now for hardcasts so it's completely useless as of EW.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i just use an add-on that tells me if the other healer is targeting/raising someone. you know, in the game that doesn't have any built-in voice chat and that intentionally gimps macros.

it's worthless most of the time because, wow, it turns out decent healers all push swiftcast at the same time. shocking.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah as someone who does heal, I’ve never been spared a Swiftcast Glare by a raising macro because by the time the macro hits the chat box, I’ve already slapped both Swiftcast and Raise. And as other people have mentioned, with EW showing targeting in the party list, it doesn’t help with hardcasting Raise either.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Oneiros posted:

i just use an add-on that tells me if the other healer is targeting/raising someone. you know, in the game that doesn't have any built-in voice chat and that intentionally gimps macros.

it's worthless most of the time because, wow, it turns out decent healers all push swiftcast at the same time. shocking.

They made "casting spell on X party member" part of the stock UI in 6.0.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What add-on is that, Oneiros?

Oneiros posted:

part of overcoming tanxiety is getting the gently caress over yourself

I posted a while back that I was happy sticking to healing and tanking was terrifying. But I needed something to do with all those tomestones so....

Turns out I just needed to get over it, which came naturally after about a week of roulettes. Now I'm driving the dungeons, just hitting the confidence for wall pulls. It way easier than keeping everyone alive all the time. I probably make a better healer and have more fun doing it, but I'm entering the duty finder as a tank more often.

For tank or healer anxiety players, just go DPS and have fun. If you pull off a Verraise as RDM you get my commendation every time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean if the dps is pulling ahead of you just hit your ranged attack on the mobs they grab. and if everyone dies tell them 'well dont pull so many.' if youre level 16 what button do you think you could hit that you're not hitting that would solve these problems. and also i dont think everyone will die. i promise you can handle many more mobs than you probably think.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna sound lame as hell, but playing GNB helped me get over some of my anxiety, just because hell yeah I'm Squall from FF8.

What I'm getting at is try looking at the job itself instead of the role, because GNB is a ton of fun. I just got the Lv70 skill and this button is dope. Or if you're worried about dying check out WAR saw one solo a dungeon boss after we all died and it was the sickest poo poo. There's 4 different tanks for a reason.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

I've been dealing with a lot of that same thing re: Tanking. Having come back to the game and my level 50 Paladin after a several year hiatus, I just took a few weeks to do post-ARR content on RDM and slowly ease back into tanking/spend poetics on some tank gear. Now I feel better about it, and it helps that the dungeon design seems to have shifted away from mazes and more to straight lines starting with the new MSQ dungeons after ARR.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kliras posted:

as far as arguing is concerned, you'll probably spend most of your time in ff14 trying to take the blame for yourselves, basically canadian pvp where you weave as many apologies into your rotation

Had a great moment yesterday doing Castrum Abania as a GNB for the first time. I felt super squishy the whole time and was constantly dropping to low health. I was cycling through my mit like normal so I was a bit 'wtf.' Ended up dying on one of the big trash pulls on the external bridge before the final boss, and healer was like "oh sorry, my bad, my reaction time was too slow." I responded with "no worries :)"

It was only after I finished the dungeon and hit 70 that I realized I had not equipped a single upgraded gear item between 60-70 and I was still wearing the full 60 tomestone set. Anyway tanking is fun, people make mistakes, it is what it is.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm okay with tanking and never really got anxiety out of it. Maybe a bit in ARR dungeons if it's your first time playing and you get lost but that's a non-issue once you get to Heavensward and the mechanics of tanking never really change much outside of Extreme and Savage content and even then it's knowing when to mitigate damage and swap to the off-tank if needed.

I've not done healing though and I kind of want to give it a go once I level up my current class to 90 but thinking about starting healing gives me anxiety. Mostly because of how you're expected to still DPS, heal the tank when they're low and heal others if needed, while keeping an eye out for boss mechanics. I can see myself being overwhelmed doing all of that at once.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only worthwhile combat macros are the ones that always target a specific person, like Shirk and other off-tank cooldowns, and maybe Dragon Sight if you want to configure it, or ground target effects if you have trouble with them.

Oh, and Sprint. Sprint is hosed so it should be macrod.

Don't /p macro your raises, or your invulns, or your provokes, or literally anything really.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have my Sprint hotkey on middle click so I can easily spam the hell out of it in any scenario

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My sprint hotbar key is bound to middle click, but sprint itself has some jank so it doesn't queue properly. Some people use /ac Sprint a dozen times in a macro to make it more reliable.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The only worthwhile combat macros are the ones that always target a specific person, like Shirk and other off-tank cooldowns, and maybe Dragon Sight if you want to configure it, or ground target effects if you have trouble with them.

Oh, and Sprint. Sprint is hosed so it should be macrod.

Don't /p macro your raises, or your invulns, or your provokes, or literally anything really.

Why is sprint hosed and what does macroing it do to unfuck it? This is a genuine new player question, I know nothing

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ffxiv is an mmo, and thus you will be spending a fair amount of time engaging in cooperative content with others. it's good, then, that people are approaching this with the mindset of "my performance may impact the enjoyment of other players". in my experience, though, there's a couple takeaways from this

1) people tend to oversell the importance of tanking and healing. i don't know a better way to word this. tanks can make -lots- of mistakes before dying (affectionately known as "tank privilege" due to their higher health and defense pools). even when they die, a healer can just scrape them up with a swift+raise and a quick pat on the butt and keep on trucking. healers are also sometimes straight up not even a requirement, due to how many healing tools many tanks and other dps have (and how quickly trash/bosses can die if everyone is contributing good damage). non-dps mistakes are not always the death sentence it's made out to be. if a tank or healer runs out of tools to keep a trash pull going, it's just as likely it's on the dps for underperforming and causing battles to take too long. i would wager that for every instance i have left because i wasn't having a good time, i have left an equal amount of times due to miserable dps as i have due to bad tanks and healers. people being bad in any role is noticeable.

2) you could take this energy of not wanting to be a burden and put it towards learning and being good, rather than not engaging in it at all. if you just plain don't like the role, that's one thing. i straight up don't like casters or regen healers, so i don't play them. but i would rather play with a hundred "sort of bad, but learning" tanks over one single pulling tank who doesn't use aoe because "this isn't savage, bro"

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 7, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tarnop posted:

Why is sprint hosed and what does macroing it do to unfuck it? This is a genuine new player question, I know nothing

Sprint isn't an ability so it doesn't queue properly if you're in animation lock from something else. If you macro it you can tell the game to make it go off several times in a row, negating this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tarnop posted:

Yeah. Expanding a bit on what Arist said, most skills (Weaponskills, spells, and abilities) will queue with the server if you press them just before your existing ability is finishing. So if my cast is 2.5s, and I press my next button 2.3s into the cast, it will start the instant the server can process it. This adds up to a lot of time saved vs just hitting the button when the spell is done.

Sprint says no to that, since it doesn't really fit in like a regular combat command.

A Sprint macro will look something like this:

/ac Sprint
/ac Sprint
/ac Sprint
/ac Sprint

Over 12+ lines. It basically just hammers the server with requests to use the Sprint action, just in case you don't line up the queuing time properly. It's not foolproof, but fires a bit more reliably.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

As a controller player, I put sprint on R3. It feels reallly good

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sweet, macroing up Sprint now, thanks folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Arist posted:

Sprint isn't an ability so it doesn't queue properly if you're in animation lock from something else. If you macro it you can tell the game to make it go off several times in a row, negating this.
I don't use a macro for Sprint but I do treat it the same way I do potions: Don't double weave with it, and use it on the back half of my GCD. I usually do it for Arm's Length/Surecast too; I'm not sure if it's really needed for them but there have been many times where I die from being knocked back even though I know I was mashing on my knockback invulnerability button, only to see that it never went off.