Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sapozhnik posted:

pro gamer strat: create a deliberate fuel imbalance to counteract propeller torque on a plane that lacks aileron trim

(probably don't try this irl)

I can think of at least two jet airliners off the top of my head that will move fuel around automatically for trim rather than incurring the drag penalty of an aerodynamic trim tab deflection. It's a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Concorde and ???

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A330, A340, and A380 have trim tanks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Have any of you guys been watching this rebuild rescue guy on YouTube try to start a abandoned Cessna 408 (I think 408, it’s a twin engine turbo charged piston engine)?

Just wondering what you think of this joker, he has no pilots license but somehow access to a giant hanger where he gets to work on the thing… somebody tried to offer the real owner $20k after the saw the YouTube videos, apparently the YouTube dude talked the owner out of accepting…

Anyways it seems like a sim goons dream

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

ethanol posted:

Have any of you guys been watching this rebuild rescue guy on YouTube try to start a abandoned Cessna 408 (I think 408, it’s a twin engine turbo charged piston engine)?

Just wondering what you think of this joker, he has no pilots license but somehow access to a giant hanger where he gets to work on the thing… somebody tried to offer the real owner $20k after the saw the YouTube videos, apparently the YouTube dude talked the owner out of accepting…

Anyways it seems like a sim goons dream

I've been watching those, my biggest issue (which has been brought up a couple of times in the videos) is him repeatedly interacting with a literal shitload of bird poop with no mask/gloves/goggles. Finally like 4 videos in he started putting gloves on but jfc. Aside from that it's been neat watching him work on those engines even with all the usual YouTube clickbait content.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Zero One posted:

A330, A340, and A380 have trim tanks.

Likewise, the A300, A310, MD-11 and 747-400 all shift CG with fuel for trimming.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've been watching those, my biggest issue (which has been brought up a couple of times in the videos) is him repeatedly interacting with a literal shitload of bird poop with no mask/gloves/goggles. Finally like 4 videos in he started putting gloves on but jfc. Aside from that it's been neat watching him work on those engines even with all the usual YouTube clickbait content.

Oh definitely the bird poop is naaaasty. Especially the interior of that plane, just disgusting.

Also definitely not a 408.

Yeah I admit the clickbait is how I even found the channel

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

He is kinda annoying but seeing him struggle with the plane is entertaining enough

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is he a licensed A&P mechanic? Work done on an aircraft has to be done by someone with the proper training and licensing, and must be logged and signed off in a particular way, for the aircraft to be airworthy.

I'm not intimately familiar with how the maintenance laws work, but I am pretty sure that if he's doing the work by himself and he's not an A&P, an actual mechanic is going to have to go over the plane with a fine tooth comb and inspect/redo everything he did to make sure he did it right.

Or I guess he could just fix it himself and take it for the inspection and lie, and then we'll read about it in an accident report in a couple of years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

He said something about if he wants to fly it it will have to go through a real a&p

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

RE: fuel tank balance, sailplanes also use ballast tanks to shift the center of gravity around. They don't lose weight to fuel burn obviously. But by shifting the center of gravity they can trade between beter glide ratio and cruise speed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not intimately familiar with how the maintenance laws work, but I am pretty sure that if he's doing the work by himself and he's not an A&P, an actual mechanic is going to have to go over the plane with a fine tooth comb and inspect/redo everything he did to make sure he did it right.

Or I guess he could just fix it himself and take it for the inspection and lie, and then we'll read about it in an accident report in a couple of years.

I'm thinking he's going to have one hell of a time finding an A&P willing to put their certificate on the line by signing off a bunch of work a random YouTube person did without basically taking the entire airplane apart to make sure the work was done right.

Even if he takes the "lie about who did the work" approach, the lack of maintenance log entries is going to make any competent A&P more than a little suspicious (assuming the airplane was sold with any kind of records begin with), and it'll also mean the airplane is basically worthless if he ever tries to resell it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Nah it's cool man, if there's any kind of trouble he is totally going to take responsibility, just be chill and sign off

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Plus, he can always get it just fixed enough to fly, then parachute out of it for more YouTube views.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

azflyboy posted:

I'm thinking he's going to have one hell of a time finding an A&P willing to put their certificate on the line by signing off a bunch of work a random YouTube person did without basically taking the entire airplane apart to make sure the work was done right.

Even if he takes the "lie about who did the work" approach, the lack of maintenance log entries is going to make any competent A&P more than a little suspicious (assuming the airplane was sold with any kind of records begin with), and it'll also mean the airplane is basically worthless if he ever tries to resell it.

Just spray paint "EXPERIMENTAL" on it and say it's an exhibition aircraft for his YouTube channel, problem solved!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
"I'm a Sovereign Citizen and a freeman of the air! This FAR has a fringe on it, and I don't consent to admiralty law!"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you just did normal visual rules GA from unlicensed airport to unlicensed airport how long would it take air cops to catch on?

Did I just accidentally reinvent drug smuggling?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

azflyboy posted:

Well yeah, that's what I mean by inspect or redo. If he installed a new magneto, well, you can check the part number on it and make sure it's the right one, at least. But did he put the right sort of threadlocker on those cap screws when he installed it, or torque them down correctly? No way to tell other than taking all of them out and doing it again to be sure.

So basically all the work he's doing will have to be duplicated by an A&P if he wants it to fly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

zedprime posted:

If you just did normal visual rules GA from unlicensed airport to unlicensed airport how long would it take air cops to catch on?

Did I just accidentally reinvent drug smuggling?

As long as you don't get ramp checked (a surprise inspection by an FAA inspector wandering around the airport), weren't involved in an accident, and didn't do anything to draw attention to yourself (like flying through restricted airspace), you could probably get away with it for quite a while.

The requirement for ADS-B out (basically a GPS system that reports the airplanes location and altitude to other airplanes and ATC) might make it easier to track down people doing that, but I haven't heard of the FAA comparing ADS-B data to aircraft registration records, so it's probably not a big hurdle.

I used to spend a lot of time in Nogales, AZ as a flight instructor and got to know the cutoms people there pretty well, and according to them, basically no one flies drugs across the Mexican border any more (since it's way less effort and money to just drive/walk/ship them over the border), so drug smuggling via airplane is pretty insignificant compared to all the other ways to do it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

azflyboy posted:

As long as you don't get ramp checked (a surprise inspection by an FAA inspector wandering around the airport), weren't involved in an accident, and didn't do anything to draw attention to yourself (like flying through restricted airspace), you could probably get away with it for quite a while.

I am reminded of what my AME told me when I went to get a medical: "you can put whatever you want on this form, and nobody's going to look into it. But if you ever get in an accident, they're going to look into everything you put on this form in extreme detail, and then you'd better have told the truth."

On the other hand, after he scared me with that, I said "oh uh I had an ear infection a few months ago, should I add that" and he said "nobody cares about something like that, this form is to make sure you don't have a transplanted heart from a baboon or something" so in conclusion aviation is a land of contrasts

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 7, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Sagebrush posted:

Well yeah, that's what I mean by inspect or redo. If he installed a new magneto, well, you can check the part number on it and make sure it's the right one, at least. But did he put the right sort of threadlocker on those cap screws when he installed it, or torque them down correctly? No way to tell other than taking all of them out and doing it again to be sure.

So basically all the work he's doing will have to be duplicated by an A&P if he wants it to fly.

I'm all for folks getting checked off before they can fly their metal death machine over my house, but it'd be less eyeroll-inducing if the same regulators weren't so seemingly eager to sign off on every conduit-and-baling-twine homebuilt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Baronash posted:

I'm all for folks getting checked off before they can fly their metal death machine over my house, but it'd be less eyeroll-inducing if the same regulators weren't so seemingly eager to sign off on every conduit-and-baling-twine homebuilt.

Seems similar to PACs. To have a PAC you have to follow all these rules and you are restricted in this way and that way. Unless you put this piece of paper on top that says you're a super PAC and you can do literally whatever you want.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

For anyone that has a touchscreen or tablet and wants to have a touch display for the G1000 nxi in MSFS I just started using this and it's pretty great. Quick to set up/install and works through any browser, no need for specific apps.
https://github.com/hawkeye-stan/msfs-touch-panel

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 8, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Is he a licensed A&P mechanic? Work done on an aircraft has to be done by someone with the proper training and licensing, and must be logged and signed off in a particular way, for the aircraft to be airworthy.

The only thing you need an A&P for is to sign the logbooks. Anyone can physically do the work, but the airman putting his/her name and number in the logbook is the one responsible for the work. It could be something as simple as “I know him well enough and I trust him.”

Alternately (and more likely to me) he’s just winging (heh) it and hoping the FSDO is too busy to come inspect him.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

The only thing you need an A&P for is to sign the logbooks. Anyone can physically do the work, but the airman putting his/her name and number in the logbook is the one responsible for the work. It could be something as simple as “I know him well enough and I trust him.”

Alternately (and more likely to me) he’s just winging (heh) it and hoping the FSDO is too busy to come inspect him.

Yeah. When I had fractional ownership of an aircraft, I would help our A&P mechanic all the time, especially when larger pieced needed to be moved. I would do what he asked, he'd come take a look and then sign off on anything.

With all the hullabaloo on the youtube, I wouldn't be surprised if someone called the FSDO on him. It'll definitely be way more expensive once someone else has to strip everything down to inspect all his work and then put it back together, as people have pointed out, no on is going to just sign off on it.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 8, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're finally making the simulation more dynamic with actual air flow CFD. See this part of the Twitch QA, that includes examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6ftFBU0Q4&t=1424s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's a pro click. Looks really cool just to watch all the lift vectors and streamlines moving around. I hope it actually makes a noticeable difference!

lol @ stuff like deep stalls just being hardcoded up to this point. ugh

e: yaaay it's gonna have proper wake turbulence and modeled dust and vapor vortices :neckbeard:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 9, 2022

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's a pro click. Looks really cool just to watch all the lift vectors and streamlines moving around. I hope it actually makes a noticeable difference!

I really hope we can turn those streamlines on in game, I could spend hours watching them.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

JerikTelorian posted:

I really hope we can turn those streamlines on in game, I could spend hours watching them.

Sebastian mentioned that it will be an available tool for developers so I'd imagine anyone will be able to.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fix the green roads/areas dammit. Gonna be looking at this post sim update but I am not holding out hope. I realize this is a monumental achievement overall :)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Sagebrush posted:

lol @ stuff like deep stalls just being hardcoded up to this point. ugh

e: yaaay it's gonna have proper wake turbulence and modeled dust and vapor vortices :neckbeard:

I don't have anything to say about your post, I just wanted to say that your av creeps me right the hell out.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

PMDG's 737 for MSFS has entered beta! Hopefully release will follow soon. I'm not a big tubeliner guy but it's hard to resist well-modeled systems... so many switches.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

gottagotowork posted:

PMDG's 737 for MSFS has entered beta! Hopefully release will follow soon. I'm not a big tubeliner guy but it's hard to resist well-modeled systems... so many switches.

I'm a sucker for any aircraft with a HUD. Looking forward to this one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Now gimmie a -200 with JT8s, realistic reversers, and an unimproved runway kit. :colbert:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993395&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Air Goons will go to another war. It’s 1990’s and there’s gonna be an another 40 player coop campaign that will last a few months.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

Now gimmie a -200 with JT8s, realistic reversers, and an unimproved runway kit. :colbert:

I second this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
For anybody who thinks "Porco Rosso-inspired seaplane game about running a brewery" sounds dope, you're in luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ygOuV-T9cU

Demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1636710/The_Brew_Barons/

You can play it either War Thunder mouse style, or with a joystick/HOTAS (which I've found much easier). The realism is about on par with War Thunder's Realistic mode, so it's forgiving, but you can't just TIE fighter your way around.

You harvest fruit and vegetables by shooting them with water bolts, and you harvest wheat by skimming the surface and chopping it up with your propeller. Then make it into whatever booze you can, and sell it to local bars. At some point, beer pirates will get mad at you and try to gently caress your poo poo up, at which point things go full TaleSpin.

It's scratching a similar itch that Sim Copter did when I was a kid. Good poo poo so far.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Incidentally, it's a time-limited demo (which seems silly when you can't yet buy the full game), but you can easily freeze the timer with Cheat Engine. Just pause the game, search for addresses matching the total number of seconds on the clock (ex. if there are 39 minutes, 20 seconds, then search CE for 2360), and then freeze values on them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shine posted:

For anybody who thinks "Porco Rosso-inspired seaplane game about running a brewery" sounds dope, you're in luck!

You can play it either War Thunder mouse style, or with a joystick/HOTAS (which I've found much easier). The realism is about on par with War Thunder's Realistic mode, so it's forgiving, but you can't just TIE fighter your way around.

You harvest fruit and vegetables by shooting them with water bolts, and you harvest wheat by skimming the surface and chopping it up with your propeller. Then make it into whatever booze you can, and sell it to local bars. At some point, beer pirates will get mad at you and try to gently caress your poo poo up, at which point things go full TaleSpin.

It's scratching a similar itch that Sim Copter did when I was a kid. Good poo poo so far.

I literally had an idea for a game like this, with a Porco Rosso-esque setting (It's my favorite Ghibli film) without the brewery thing but hell yeah, I'm in. Thanks for bringing this up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Shine posted:

This looks amazing. I think I'll try it only when it's properly released.

I enjoy flight sims, tedious work simulators and business tycoon games and this seems to combine them all.