Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

knuthgrush posted:

Well I said hurt but not injured, however I have acute pain in my lower ribs on the left side. Only there when I mash on it/lay on it/engage certain muscles. Doesn't hurt like the time I broke my ribs in a mountain bike wreck so I'm not too worried.

Assuming you didn't pop a rib, which it sounds like you didn't, what it sounds like it a type of pain that pretty much every white belt gets in the first six months or so and is something you will eventually sensitize to. Your ribs just aren't used to dealing with the type of pressure, compression, stretching etc. kind of the way your feet aren't used to sliding on the mats and all newbs get mat burn on the top of their feet. Part of the acclimatizing is learning how to absorb pressure better and protect your body better so you don't get that pain, which just comes with time. One thing that really helps me when I have non-injury related rib pain is to focus on stretching out and releasing in my back (lying on a lacross ball, etc), if you want to try that and see if it helps. For me there's a thing where it seems like the tension in my back actually ends up pulling around to the front (same how if you have an IT band flareup you might actually feel the most pain on the inside of your knee).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I remember those rib pains. They felt chronic until I took a muscle relaxer and then they went away and never came back.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Think I pinched a nerve in my scapula / shoulder rolling and made it worse doing squats today. Hope it's better for training on wednesday. ;(

Also, yeah I got some weird rip pains in my first few months, went away after time and have not come back.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

CommonShore posted:

I remember those rib pains. They felt chronic until I took a muscle relaxer and then they went away and never came back.

There was a purple belt when I started who was like "yeah your ribs are going to hurt for a long time and then one day you wake up and they don't hurt anymore" and by golly it was true.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

That's pretty interesting. I've been at this for over a year, maybe two years? But I've had two long fear-of-covid breaks so I probably only have 8 months to a year cumulative experience.

It wasn't until the last few months that I've really jumped in, though so maybe I've got delayed onset noob soreness.

It feels a bit better today so I might go to my evening class tomorrow. Definitely don't think I popped a rib. I've broken ribs before and it didn't feel anything like this.

I do yoga every morning but I've never used a roller. Seen it done but I don't grok it. I have a foam one in the garage that I use for leg support when doing field target shooting so maybe I'll try that.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Do you do any weight / resistance training? A bit of mass and strength can really help out these kind of things and add an extra layer of resilience.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

stramit posted:

Do you do any weight / resistance training? A bit of mass and strength can really help out these kind of things and add an extra layer of resilience.

Not with any consistency. A couple times a week I'll throw kettlebells around or use resistance bands or dumbbells or I'll do something strength related from darebee.com. I also use grip trainers and sometimes an air bike or regular bicycle.

I have always been hopelessly ignorant of how to put a strength routine together. I'm especially ignorant of how to do it while training bjj four times a week and not just hurting all the time. I don't even know where to start and most resources are small novels on how to get jacked, of which I have little interest.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Simple and sinister is an awesome kettlebell program that doesn't drain you or leave you sore the next day. I've worked my way up to 40kg 2-h swings and 32kg 1-h swings and I feel like, as a new BJJ person, that I have enough strength to match strong white/fresh blue belts.

Check craigslist every few days and you eventually find high quality used kettlebells for a decent price (~$1/pound).

Nestharken posted:

3. Break his first grip, preferably *before* he has a chance to establish a really strong one. There's a bunch of ways to do this, but I like to get a double sleeve grip and push the arm straight down while leaning back--both of your arms plus your back muscles versus one of his hands is a matchup very strongly in your favor. This works better if you do it as a quick/sharp motion.

Thanks! This worked really well last night.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The number one thing that keeps me less sore is tapping early to subs rather than fighting them like it’s a tourney final. Neck and elbows in particular will thank you

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I have a copy of simple and sinister but it didn't really seem to do anything for me. Maybe I just need to increase the weight? That book was lot of :words: and not a lot of direction on schedule. At least I was too sense to figure it out.

Pron on VHS posted:

The number one thing that keeps me less sore is tapping early to subs rather than fighting them like it’s a tourney final. Neck and elbows in particular will thank you

I tap waaaaay earlier than I should so I'm not sure how I got hurt.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
You might have torn the cartilage between the ribs. When I did that I could do almost everything without pain except a few specific movements while loaded with someone else's weight. For me it was a really sharp pain when I had a hold of someone and I was extending my back in a certain direction. It took a quote a while to heal.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

yeah, it could be a lot of things i guess. it just doesn't hurt bad enough for me to feel like i need to go to the doc. it's extremely localized pain on the lowest left ribs that i feel when i lay on it or mash on it. might ask my son to get side control on me and see if that bothers it but messing with kettlebells while laying down doesn't seem to affect it and sneezing/coughing doesn't either. and the pain isn't like real bad, it's just hella annoying so i'm skipping out on class for a while in case i make it worse.

last night i was able to sleep on it a little and the pain wasn't as bad as it was the previous day, just mild discomfort so whatevs. gonna let it heal and then get back to the gym. taking time off is really irritating but i'm trying to keep that in perspective since i was out for months over covid spikes. i'm ate up with this silly sport. gonna suck when i can't do it anymore.

EDIT - looking back at the s&s book it looks like the whole program is summed up on pages 86 and 87 so maybe i'll just start doing that.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 8, 2022

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I think the intercostal cartilage tear is like a right of passage for many white and blue belts in jiu jitsu. Probably going to happen, just a matter of when.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

knuthgrush posted:

EDIT - looking back at the s&s book it looks like the whole program is summed up on pages 86 and 87 so maybe i'll just start doing that.

Yea his books are filled with macho crap but the routines are great. Just have to cut through the fluff to find the 2-3 pages that are worthwhile. I like s&s because its pretty easy on the body and doesn't require much recovery time.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I'm a big fan of Jeff Nippard's training programs. Seem to be able to manage to handle the volume there combined with BJJ okay. 3x a week lifting 4x a week bjj is nice. I'm doing the powerbuilder program which combines some big movements with some body builder movements (size and strength program basically). I've been lifting for a long time and find it a nice way to relax unlike bjj where I feel like there is too much going on in my head.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I think the intercostal cartilage tear is like a right of passage for many white and blue belts in jiu jitsu. Probably going to happen, just a matter of when.

One of my old instructors (who's been in the game a loooong time) was fond of saying that three things are inevitable if you train long enough: ringworm, cauliflower ear, and rib injuries.

knuthgrush posted:

last night i was able to sleep on it a little and the pain wasn't as bad as it was the previous day, just mild discomfort so whatevs. gonna let it heal and then get back to the gym. taking time off is really irritating but i'm trying to keep that in perspective since i was out for months over covid spikes. i'm ate up with this silly sport. gonna suck when i can't do it anymore.

Resting it is the responsible choice. If you have training partners that you trust, you can start to dip your toes back in once it's healed up a little bit by doing stuff like passing drills at open mats.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I've done this twice (one right before a white belt comp) and they took forever to heal.

First one I was feeling pretty good, then went to shovel some snow, and set my self back a few weeks. Lying on the couch feeling sorry for myself is what helped me.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

signed up for my first comp at the end of the month. fat old man's white belt gi here we come! looking forward to getting choked out in the first 20 seconds...

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Stuck around after class last night for my first open mat and had a blast. I was kind of a fish out of water at first but eventually got comfortable enough to work on a few of the things that I had learned over the past few weeks. Any tips (or basic videos) on escaping side control and mount? I'm guessing that the first step is to learn how to not get passed so easily because I felt like I never got any opportunity to retain guard last night. Also wasn't expecting for everyone to start rolling from standing position but I actually did best there because I did a bit of wrestling 20 years ago and am still athletic enough to hold a strong clinch and sprawl.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

laxbro posted:

Any tips (or basic videos) on escaping side control and mount?

Awesome to hear you had a good time at open mat!

Side control escape is all about getting your knee and elbow in as a frame, bridging and shrimping to make space, then getting that guard back.

Find the Stephen Kesting app for your phone, it's free and it downloads some short videos straight to the device. What this means is that you can pull and watch a no BS tutorial on every position with no data usage or internet requirement. Watch his side control escape, or anything else, any time you have a minute or two and want to review.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 19, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

laxbro posted:

Stuck around after class last night for my first open mat and had a blast. I was kind of a fish out of water at first but eventually got comfortable enough to work on a few of the things that I had learned over the past few weeks. Any tips (or basic videos) on escaping side control and mount? I'm guessing that the first step is to learn how to not get passed so easily because I felt like I never got any opportunity to retain guard last night. Also wasn't expecting for everyone to start rolling from standing position but I actually did best there because I did a bit of wrestling 20 years ago and am still athletic enough to hold a strong clinch and sprawl.

And I haven't seen Kesting's videos but here are my two main universal escape tips that apply to every position:

1) Don't let both of your shoulders hit the mat - stay on one hip, as much toward your side as you can, facing your opponent and framing as much as you can with your elbows and forearms. If you get flattened out start doing tiny little bump bridges to get on your side.

2) Every escape is a combination of framing, shrimping, trapping, and bridging. If you don't know what to do, just start doing whatever of those you can in whatever order. E.g. the classic Saulo Ribero Jiu Jitsu University Side Control escape is (if starting from flat) a bridge, followed by a frame, followed by a bridge, followed by a shrimp, ending with trapping their body in your legs (guard). A basic hip/elbow escape goes frame > shrimp > shrimp > trap. My favourite scarf escape is a torso trap > bridge > shrimp > bridge. None of those patterns will make sense in abstract, but if you start doing lazy low-energy bridges shrimps and framing while on the bottom, and trapping a limb whenever you can, you'll start finding escapes.

Appendix: your opponents know all of this and many moves are intended to exploit these movement patterns so don't get discouraged if you start to frame and shrimp out of side control and someone just snaps a steparound arm bar on you or takes your back. The next step in learning is how to use these motions without getting caught in those traps.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oof, just got arm barred in like 10 seconds at IBJJF New Orleans, posting from the bleachers.

I accidentally signed up a weight classes heavier on accident, and adult instead of masters 2, but even so.

What bothers me about it isn't losing, it's that I clearly had a wrong idea about when I could or couldn't be submitted. He started pulling the arm up onto his chest from closed guard and I was like "nah, you're not going to get that and I'll pass you when you try" and nope, he submitted me with basically his first attack.

It makes me think I don't actually know what a tournament rolls is like, this is how my first tournament match went when I started at white belt, and then this is my first match back after covid, so maybe I just need to re-remember what a tournament feels like.

There's an in house tournament in March, I wasn't going to go but now I for sure am, I need to at least put up a fight or I feel like it "doesn't count" towards my personal goal of doing three tournaments a year. Gonna sign up for the less ambitious bracket too.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The moves they teach you in beginner classes are all god tier, man. Letting your arms get separated like that in closed guard is suicide, but being trapped in closed guard at all is a huge error by itself. The reason you don’t see much closed guard at the top level isn’t because it’s bad, it’s because people fight so hard to not get put there. How did the initial engagement go from the feet?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The moves they teach you in beginner classes are all god tier, man. Letting your arms get separated like that in closed guard is suicide, but being trapped in closed guard at all is a huge error by itself. The reason you don’t see much closed guard at the top level isn’t because it’s bad, it’s because people fight so hard to not get put there. How did the initial engagement go from the feet?

He pulled guard immediately :smh: I'd like to say he got nervous when I aggressively went for grips but honestly I just think it was his plan.

Edit: we grabbed our initial grips, he immediately pulled. I started :siren: loving with a collar :siren:, which is what led to him pulling my arm against his body, up his chest, and away from my hips; that's what let him first try an Americana from guard and then an arm bar.

In retrospect I wish I'd clamped my hands on his hips as soon as we were on the ground but I can usually stuff an armbar or triangle and then pass off it it in the gym.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 19, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is there a name for a gi choke where you basically get a darce but grab the lapel for an arm-in loop choke instead of getting the figure 4 with the arms?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

is there a name for a gi choke where you basically get a darce but grab the lapel for an arm-in loop choke instead of getting the figure 4 with the arms?

Brabo I think is what you're looking for.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Brabo I think is what you're looking for.

oh ok. Brabo is one of those names I've seen applied to a whole pile of different techniques, so I just started filtering that term out as white noise

Like, half the time in MMA an anaconda gets recorded/reported as a brabo, but that gives me something to work with for a search term

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Jack B Nimble posted:

He pulled guard immediately :smh: I'd like to say he got nervous when I aggressively went for grips but honestly I just think it was his plan.

Edit: we grabbed our initial grips, he immediately pulled. I started :siren: loving with a collar :siren:, which is what led to him pulling my arm against his body, up his chest, and away from my hips; that's what let him first try an Americana from guard and then an arm bar.

In retrospect I wish I'd clamped my hands on his hips as soon as we were on the ground but I can usually stuff an armbar or triangle and then pass off it it in the gym.

That might be that dudes "thing" too. Given what he did from the first move, I suspect it is.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

oh ok. Brabo is one of those names I've seen applied to a whole pile of different techniques, so I just started filtering that term out as white noise

Like, half the time in MMA an anaconda gets recorded/reported as a brabo, but that gives me something to work with for a search term

Brabo I use a fair amount.

Starting in top side control, loosen uke's far lapel. Pass the lapel to your cross-facing hand-- you should be now holding the lapel underneath uke's head. Switch grips, such that the hand closer to uke's feet now is holding uke's lapel. Uke is probably turned into at this point. This grip is similar to the darce grip but only requires the one arm. The other arm is then free to attack a powerful cross choke. Uke will often use his top arm to defend; when this happens, collect that top arm and feed it against his neck, forming a head and arm choke. Place your chest on top of uke's shoulder/tricep to finish. You'll still have a free hand here which you can use for whatever.

The trick is getting the specific lapel grip. If you can get there your opponent is in for some trouble.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

On one of the old Ryan Hall DVDs he refers to a darce as a ‘no-gi brabo’.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

That might be that dudes "thing" too. Given what he did from the first move, I suspect it is.

This is my guess too. Some people are just a mousetrap when it comes to locking up closed guard and snapping on an armbar or triangle right away, and if you haven't rolled with one before, it can be quite the surprise when you finally do, whether it's in the gym or at a tournament.

My advice for the future is to avoid winding up in closed guard at all costs, as mentioned above, but also to spend some time drilling standing up in closed guard *immediately* if you do wind up there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mind you, single elimination tournaments are bullshit for this reason. That's one thing judo does better than most BJJ.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to make sure I'm understanding this drill:

One person pulls guard and attempts to lock the closed guard, while the other person attempts to stand up/ move away from the guard puller? And of course you could have it be less adversarial where either one is the "uke" and you're just drilling it.

It does sound a bit like my coaches general advice to me and other people: as soon as you realize someone is pulling guard, let go of their collar if you're grabbing it and step back. Then, control the feet and pass from standing.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Pretty much, yup. It's worth drilling it as you described (e.g. off a guard pull) and also when the bottom guy has it fully locked up like you'd see if you did a double leg takedown or a trap'n'roll escape. If you're the acrobatic sort, you can even start your pass before they've finished hitting the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3QnXrVyMj4

I am a huge fan in general of the kind of drilling that's somewhere between normal static drilling and positional sparring--that is, isolating a miniature battle like this one and designating one person who's "supposed" to win the exchange but has to put forth some effort to do so.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

Mind you, single elimination tournaments are bullshit for this reason. That's one thing judo does better than most BJJ.

As one of our top competitors once said;
"Competition jiu jitsu is about avoiding doing jiu jitsu as much as possible"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel a bit better about it now that a day has passed; my performance was terrible but it still means the tournament did what I wanted to do: be a legitimate test of what I can and can't do. I'm looking forward to mentioning these drills to my coach on Monday, thanks.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Jammed my ring finger pretty good tonight. Ice and buddy taping is the standard recommendations for this right?

stramit fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 21, 2022

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Buddy tape it and start moving it around as soon as you can, jammed fingers heal much faster if you flex/extend them throughout the day every day (if it’s fractured don’t do this). I don’t think ice will do much

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Often overlooked note for buddy taping never to tape the middle and ring fingers together because it leaves the index and pinky fingers awkwardly isolated and more vulnerable to even worse injury. Always pinky to ring; middle to index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Often overlooked note for buddy taping never to tape the middle and ring fingers together because it leaves the index and pinky fingers awkwardly isolated and more vulnerable to even worse injury. Always pinky to ring; middle to index.

^^^ the Good poo poo