Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

causticBeet posted:

my favorite league hero is the one that some weirdo artist made based on a girl he was orbiting without their knowledge

I'm going to need the lore on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

https://www.thegamer.com/woman-dated-riot-employee-claims-league-of-legends-seraphine-based-on-her/

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

https://step-nie.medium.com/the-problem-with-seraphine-58dc16c07e79

Edit - beat but so cringe it’s worth posting twice. As much as I think the hero design for some of the newer dota heros is corny and doesn’t mesh with existing designs (more ugly fish men please) I am very glad we don’t have heros with twitters where they larp as sad brained simp bait

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I just assumed Marci was the same thing but for dota and no i will not watch the anime to confirm or deny this

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

I just assumed Marci was the same thing but for dota and no i will not watch the anime to confirm or deny this

Marci is just mirana's mute girlfriend who then get brutally murdered infront of her.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The patch is Wednesday, February 23rd according to Valve.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What year?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Been spamming invoker since I've mastered rubick puck and void spirit and this one is going alot slower. Seems like I'm blowing my wad getting a kill but then I'm just an auto attacking boy.

Might try twenty games where I build attack range and phys damage instead of orchid / aghs and see how that treats me

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Invoker is a clicker. He’s got spells, but he clicks for a fuckton of damage with great range.

Use ice wall and deafening blast more. Tornado EMP / Coldsnap Meteor is good, but his kit has a lot of utility to it.

Don’t be afraid to kite out engagements. Make the fights last a long time (hint: ice wall, deafening blast).

And finally he’s incredibly level dependent because that decreases his invoke cooldown. Early game invoker will really only have 3 spells.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ice wall has been the spell that I've had the most trouble integrating like I see the videos, a slick blink tornado ice wall combo still evades me mechanically but ive only jammed out 60 games or so yet.

I never see a dragon lance on him although it seems like it'd be great? (I'm hoeny for grove bow when it drops)

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I've played like 2 invoker games in 5k hours, but the reason you don't see dragon lance is because he wants other items more.

Aghs, travels, orchid, bkb, euls, force and blink would all do more for him 99% of the time.

Hes a right clicker who doesn't really buy right clicker items, he gets his damage from exort, alacrity and intelligence items.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

One way to express it is that you don't see Invoker missing out on kills because he didn't have a little bit extra attack range to right click. He fails because someone was able to stun him, or slow him, or he wasn't in position to cast his position-sensitive combos. His kit isn't completed by Hurricane Pike the same way it is by BKB or Orchid or Blink.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
It’s like 50/50 if I do good on Zeus or not. I need to farm more efficiently for sure and then in the mid game I’m usually docking around waiting for a team fight to start so I can blast. Usually have mana trouble early until I get mana boots and then from there the guides generally suggest buying aether lens but I think I might be better off going blink into aghs just to be able to force fights and get more early Hanks in and stuff like that. Feel like I really come online with the aghs while I don’t feel like I get too much from the aether tbh, besides building into an octarine later.

Next few games I’m mostly gonna practice on getting multiple last hits per arc lightning early on.

Any Zeus tips?

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Zeus is a hero that needs to get ahead and stay ahead imo. Mid or support, you need to be ahead of the enemy in the same role to be effective.

Having your supports rotate mid to gank, or rotating mid as a support when the enemy mid is low enough for your burst to help your mid get the kill are pretty important early on. Zeus has giant mana issues early, and positioning is super important, which is why aether is a great pick up so you can nuke from safer distances. It gives you a larger pool, good regen and spell range.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Zeus is a hero that needs to get ahead and stay ahead imo. Mid or support, you need to be ahead of the enemy in the same role to be effective.

Having your supports rotate mid to gank, or rotating mid as a support when the enemy mid is low enough for your burst to help your mid get the kill are pretty important early on. Zeus has giant mana issues early, and positioning is super important, which is why aether is a great pick up so you can nuke from safer distances. It gives you a larger pool, good regen and spell range.

I think soul ring can help mitigate some of that, but I guess people usually get tranqs to deal with the health loss, but maybe you can have decent bottle usage and rune control.

He's also slow as gently caress and ultra squishy and doesn't have any real reason to want to get blink - it shouldn't be up to you to start fights. I'd go force over that, esp in a support role, or euls, but you've probably better off getting aghs first, depending on the lineup and how the games going.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2022

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

gormless goblin posted:

One way to express it is that you don't see Invoker missing out on kills because he didn't have a little bit extra attack range to right click. He fails because someone was able to stun him, or slow him, or he wasn't in position to cast his position-sensitive combos. His kit isn't completed by Hurricane Pike the same way it is by BKB or Orchid or Blink.

This makes alot of sense yeah, I understand it.

I think alot of the trouble I'm having making him click is the extra mechanical demands with the orbs and a lot of active items ( generally bkb, blink, orchid and a refresher if I can get it) mean I'm doing a worse job at it all. My blink usage compared to say rubivk who I've got a couple hundred games on is sub par.

I'm also relatively old and bad (despite thousands of hours I'm a 4k shitter) so this doesn't help

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

At this point I basically wish they'd bring jungling back as a funnel for all the useless pos 4 players in role queue that end up as underfarmed carries anyway.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
A buddy of mine came back to the game after not having played for several years and asked what heroes start off in the jungle these days and I was caught flatfooted because it's been so long since I've seen anyone do that. It's hard for me to imagine how it would be re-implemented gracefully now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i bet edward nigma could still start jungle

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bring back that claw thing

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Smythe posted:

His eidolon spell got its CD heavily nerfed (+20s) at lower levels. Went from 35/35/35/35 to 50/45/40/35. This basically ruins his ability to jungle well.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DNK posted:

His eidolon spell got its CD heavily nerfed (+20s) at lower levels. Went from 35/35/35/35 to 50/45/40/35. This basically ruins his ability to jungle well.

wow thats hosed up. great job icefraud.

you think strygwyr could jungle? anyone???? hmmm

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Smythe posted:

definitely can't say that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I thought the problem with jungling from start now isn't the lack of capable heroes but rather the nerf to jungle xp

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

no mods no masters

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

bawfuls posted:

I thought the problem with jungling from start now isn't the lack of capable heroes but rather the nerf to jungle xp

Sort of the pace of the game is just a lot faster now a days but some pos 4 heroes are still viable just not straight jungling. I still play pos 4 enigma and you can deny range creep and clear triangle

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

Nigma balls

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Every hero that could start jungle can do better in lane, get more from it, and actually get to play vs human opponents so jungle's a hard sell for a lot of reasons

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

there really isn't a huge list of 4 heroes that are strong enough at 6 to justify leaving your offlaner alone 1v2 to jungle.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

is lone druid crap now?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I've been seeing a lot more 'gently caress you I'm doing my own thing' jungling in turbo lately after a lane is deemed to be lovely. It normally loses the game but it can work for a few heroes if the other team doesn't push objectives and just also wants to jungle forever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it works in turbo because you get free money anyway so jungling doesn't cripple your farm nearly as much

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was playing Drow 1 with an Abaddon 5 the other day. He gave up first blood, pinged my "Frost Arrows Ready" like 3 times and then jungled the rest of the game. I think he was mad I was manually casting it instead of toggling its autocast state but :shrug:

That was probably the worst match I've played in a long time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lots of heroes are still capable of acquiring decent farm by jungling from level 1, that's not why jungling is dead

it's dead because 1s and 5s have both received extreme power creep and 3s haven't which means if you force your 3 to solo they get owned by the 1 and 5 99% of the time then you lose the game because the enemy 1's net worth goes parabolic at 15 minutes and they kill everyone.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Speaking of 3's, what is even the pos 3 meta? I was on a winstreak a while ago spamming tanky guys like centaur and bristle, but it seems like they suck now but idk who's good. Last time I tried playing non-tanky pos 3 was when bloodseeker 3 was a thing and I'd win lane a lot with him but couldn't really close out games since I'm more comfortable taking up space and keeping pressure on objectives than hunting for kills

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

I've played offlane for quite a while now, and I'm finding it quite tricky at the moment. To the point where I've swapped to mid role when queueing as I was struggling to make an impact on the game results.

As an offlane you're very reliant on your lane support for the success of the lane. If you fail to shut down their main carry they get a lot of momentum into the midstage of the game.

Even if you crush it, if your team doesn't apply pressure their carry can recover easily enough.

You have to be careful about any time not spent on the lane, as it gives their main carry time to freefarm. Exerting any pressure on other lanes is... problematic. If anyone leaves the lane, you're suddenly up against two equal-levelled opponents. The carry uses this time to build a further gold/experience lead or recover a deficit.

Playing solo role ranked, the supports are frequently very bad. In many cases they're people who don't want to play support at all. And the success of the lane is quite dependent on them.

Choosing beefy offlanes like Bristle and Centaur help. Because Bristle scales into late-game, and Centaur has the Everyone Sprint button which is invaluable at every skill level up to Immortal. They can also both survive kind of alright when your support goes on a wander or decides to jungle.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

Speaking of 3's, what is even the pos 3 meta? I was on a winstreak a while ago spamming tanky guys like centaur and bristle, but it seems like they suck now but idk who's good. Last time I tried playing non-tanky pos 3 was when bloodseeker 3 was a thing and I'd win lane a lot with him but couldn't really close out games since I'm more comfortable taking up space and keeping pressure on objectives than hunting for kills

tanky is the way to go, you ideally want to be a big sponge that absorbs the enemy carry's damage which they can't afford to ignore

because carries take off so fast now this is both more difficult and less effective than it used to be but there's still not really another good way of playing the position

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Mars is rad and strong in the offlane

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's currently a lot of emphasis on having the range/melee split in the sidelanes so it can be worth picking a ranged 3 if your 4 picked melee. Heroes like veno, death prophet, viper, razor, necro can be viable options for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
beastmaster still feels nice for winning the lane and keeping pressure on them. Bkb piercing stuns never go out of style