Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

That's why I tired of GWT after a few plays. Turns out the best way to play is to ignore a lot of stuff and do the same thing every game. The expansion helped (but kinda swung it the other way), but I don't think that's included in 2nd edition? It looks like a point salad style game, but in the end rewards a specific (and static) specialization.

Best analogy I can think of is if whaling in base AFfO were even stronger so all players just competed for those spots and ignored the rest of the game. Or if one type of card in Concordia were much stronger so most of the game became about posturing for grabbing and scoring those. I really don't like games that add in a bunch of systems that look equally important but some or most are traps.

The reason they didn't include the expansion is that they made several subtle but significant changes to balance the game. I'm not sure if it worked or not, but their intention was to address the overpowered strategies and boost the weaker ones.

I like the idea of GWT, but because of balance issues I stopped playing. I didn't get 2nd edition, because I want to wait to see what the other two games in the series are.

I suspect one of them will be better than the original, since they will take everything they learned and apply it from scratch. Similar to what happened with Brass Birmingham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lost Ruins of Arnak and Dune: Imperium are both interesting worker placement games with bad deckbuilding mechanics. The way Lost Ruins of Arnak mixes the race on the research track with the light randomness and interaction from opening up new worker placement spaces works really well. And Dune: Imperium has tight worker placement setup with an interesting auction system that they call a "combat" system. However, both of them also have a market row deckbuilder slapped on the side that is in no way better than the implementation in Ascension/Clank/Star Realms and the like. Lost Ruins of Arnak ends up being a good game overall because the bad deckbuilding is so vestigial. You barely have to interact with the market row part of Arnak in order to do well. Meanwhile, Dune: Imperium puts the deckbuilding front and center in a way that ruins the overall experience.

On a completely different note, the developer diaries make it clear that Libertalia: Winds of Galecrest is nothing more than Libertalia 2nd edition: now with a brighter colored them. Libertalia is a good game, and it appears Winds of Galecrest just rebalances some of the cards, adds a reputation track for tiebreakers rather than using the old tiebreaking system, and makes an actual attempt to work at two players.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 7, 2022

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I wasn't going to spoil the main strategy everyone does, and I don't remember the details well because it's been like 5 years now.

Gwt has a thriving competitive scene and there are many strats that are considered viable though??

What you probably saw was the equivalent to Big Money in dominion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
With or without the expansion?

Poking around BGG it does seem that people regard it as better balanced now but I do see comments about high end comp being less balanced. And I guess they all hate the expansion too?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2022

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

With or without the expansion?

Without, the expansion is not well liked in that community from what I’ve read.

It definitely wouldn’t be the strategy game that I got super deep into, but for many it is 🤷

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Papes posted:

Without, the expansion is not well liked in that community from what I’ve read.

It definitely wouldn’t be the strategy game that I got super deep into, but for many it is 🤷

I had a look at competitive GWT games, and people post big old match reports etc. But one things jumped out in the report on one of the finals. In the final of a 60 man tournament there were 10 play errors, like straight up mistakes like taking $2 instead of $1 for an Aux action etc. Which makes me think people are very keen, but not very good at GWT.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Aramoro posted:

I had a look at competitive GWT games, and people post big old match reports etc. But one things jumped out in the report on one of the finals. In the final of a 60 man tournament there were 10 play errors, like straight up mistakes like taking $2 instead of $1 for an Aux action etc. Which makes me think people are very keen, but not very good at GWT.

That amount of mistakes shocks me when you're describing a competitive level. You'd think everyone would be keeping an eye on everyone else. GWT is a bit complicated but nothing that insane.

I also really like the game, it's cozy. And yes, the expansion really helps but it's very expensive at MSRP so unless you're a fiend for the game hold off until a sale.

In other news, I got Santa Monica to the table on the weekend and we really liked it. Very simple but surprisingly deep tableau builder. Handles the market row problem nicely with it being double layered and similar to Valley of the Kings, you know what you're going to give your opponents when you take the bottom card so play carefully. The art and theme is gorgeous and it really does take you on a sunny trip to the boardwalk and beach. The box is hilariously large for what's inside it though, makes me wonder why they didn't at least attempt to switch to a smaller one rather than use their default dimensions but what do I know.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 7, 2022

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
After like 2 years of waiting, I finally got Merchants of the Dark Road super ultra nice edition to the table. I think it was one of the first kickstarters I went all (or nearly all) in on, right as the pandemic hit. Embroidered money purses, gorgeous money you want to play with instead of hide in said purses, loads and loads of colorful dice (all d6) and a handful of other nice-to-have upgrades.

It was... good? The gist is you're on a moonless, medieval world where the planet's rotation takes a full year. That means each season is roughly 13 weeks. You play as merchants who collect goods and people from the capital city and deliver them to the outlying villages via the pitch black Dark Road. Your fame is a public quantity and is tracked on the board. Your income is very private. When the game ends, the person whose lowest of the two values is highest wins! That means you need to keep things relatively balanced, but secret personal goals can help you bump your base score a little or a lot.

For all the dice in the game, you don't spend very much time rolling them. You roll most of your dice into a reserve pile on certain turns then choose which ones to use to push other dice into play. The "pushed" dice determine how many spaces you can move in the capital city. If you wanted to get really thinky I suppose you could plan several moves ahead, but I never really found myself doing that; almost anywhere you land offers interesting opportunities to pack your wagon, collect missions, gently caress with the economy, or venture out on the road.

Messing with the economy is something I wished I did more of post-game. There's a neat little wheel you rotate to adjust the economy (really, a lot of the game involves clockwise rotations one way or another) that allows you to buy low and sell high, just probably not in the same turn.

My one beef is that a full 1/3 of the game board is taken up by the Dark Road. It's dark, like black. There's nothing there. Yes, it's thematic but the board is surprisingly small and it's only made smaller by the fact a third of it is in inky blackness. This leads to another problem: since the board is kind of long and skinny, players seated on the Dark Road side can't really see what's going on with the Inn and Market. It's a shoulder-to-shoulder game (like in the pic, not mine, below) and not a 4 corners of the table game.

I never really thought I'd be such a sucker for the lore in a boardgame, but they've put enough thought into this that I imagine there will be more games in the world. I dunno, I got a little bit of a The Lies of Locke Lamora vibe from it, so maybe check it out if that's your bag. It won't be a weekly event at our house, but I can definitely see it being a special occasion game

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The private money is a deal breaker for me so when I can finally get my copy to the table, the money won't be private.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But the Private vs Public point knowledge is the best bit.

Maaaaaybe I'm doing really well, but maybe I've just bumped my fame tracker up and I'm broke AF :v:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Infinitum posted:

But the Private vs Public point knowledge is the best bit.

Maaaaaybe I'm doing really well, but maybe I've just bumped my fame tracker up and I'm broke AF :v:

Private money in our group just means the player we always play with memorizes what's in everyone's 'private' space and I especially don't/cannot. Not fun.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mayveena posted:

Private money in our group just means the player we always play with memorizes what's in everyone's 'private' space and I especially don't/cannot. Not fun.

Yeah, no private black boxes. If the inputs and the outputs are public, then the value inside is public, too. Private info only if the inputs and outputs are incomplete info, otherwise private info is dumb.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Played Eldritch Horror this weekend. I like Arkham Horror 3ed a lot, thought this would be a different interesting iteration on the idea. But it was just kinda tedious? First of all it's way too long and not paced well. At 5 people after like 4 hours we were not even halfway done. Theoretically there's a doom track that's supposed to hurry the play along, but it moves so slowly it might as well not exist. Also the randomness is too much. AH3 has this to some degree, but it also has a lot of ways to mitigate - there's more character - specific abilities, there's boosting your attributes at will, there's more varied items and spells, etc. In EH you plain don't even do that much - on your turn you can move, you can try to buy stuff, or you can use a situational character-specific action. The monsters don't move so there's not much strategizing to do. 90% of the game is reading event cards. And sure AH3 is that as well, but it has a large enough decision space that it feels like you're doing the stuff, instead of waiting for stuff to happen.

Honestly it was just worse than AH3 in every way. Really shows that it's an earlier stab at the formula that they haven't refined yet.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

golden bubble posted:

On a completely different note, the developer diaries make it clear that Libertalia: Winds of Galecrest is nothing more than Libertalia 2nd edition: now with a brighter colored them. Libertalia is a good game, and it appears Winds of Galecrest just rebalances some of the cards, adds a reputation track for tiebreakers rather than using the old tiebreaking system, and makes an actual attempt to work at two players.

Oh cool, I love libertalia a lot, I think it's one of those that I could play forever. But a big problem I've found with it, was that I won more games than I probably should have because green wins all the important tiebreaks and I always play green in everything. That was really the only thing I thought was imba. Though I think they're fine, I could see arguments for some of the cards being imbalanced I guess, so interested to see what they do.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

The private money is a deal breaker for me so when I can finally get my copy to the table, the money won't be private.

The downside is that you can't use the lovely felt coin purses*.
The upside is that you have infinite more time to play with the gorgeous metal coins*.

Every time I added some coins to my purse, I'd give it a little shake while maintaining eye contact with my daughter. She'd squint back at me, trying to figure out if the noise meant I had lots of money, or just lots of pennies. It was great.

*if you have them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The metal coins for Merchants are legit.

Tri-colour metal :swoon:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

grate deceiver posted:

Played Eldritch Horror this weekend. I like Arkham Horror 3ed a lot, thought this would be a different interesting iteration on the idea. But it was just kinda tedious? First of all it's way too long and not paced well. At 5 people after like 4 hours we were not even halfway done.

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like the game or felt it was tedious, but if it was taking you eight hours to play then that's a you problem. I've never had a game of EH last longer than three hours, and that one went to the wire.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Any thoughts on Puzzle Strike II? I know the first one was considered a legit good deck builder/1v1 game. Do people who understand the first think the second sounds like it's shaping up well from a design standpoint? Two days left and I'm considering backing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

II.5 will be out by the end of the year so probably wait for that one.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Megasabin posted:

Any thoughts on Puzzle Strike II? I know the first one was considered a legit good deck builder/1v1 game. Do people who understand the first think the second sounds like it's shaping up well from a design standpoint? Two days left and I'm considering backing.

I'm going back and forth on it too. My only concern would be if the turns end up being way too long while multiple combos trigger. Usually in a "direct" 1v1 you want shorter, quicker turns, or at least some form of reaction from the other player

An extra $75 for the Ultra Pro sleeves is steep though. All-in is only $100 without it.

It's here, at any rate: https://tabletopia.com/games/puzzle-strike-2

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Heh, I learned from AITA that there is a very dedicated circle of Settlers of Catan players who get absolutely livid at the idea of a weaker player playing to bring down a stronger player or otherwise playing kingmaker, even when that stronger player has them locked down in some way. It was pretty wild!

EDIT: Here's a copy of the post. Despite the title, she wasn't cheating and was playing by the rules. https://www.rareddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/pkef8a/aita_for_cheating_and_making_sure_my_bf_lost_in/

From a couple days ago but just catching up; this is honestly just a miserable situation and a major flaw with several of Catan's rules that really put this poor person in a corner. Her options are basically 1. let her vindictive boyfriend continue bullying her for whatever length of time this interminable game went on for 2. leave the game which...I don't think there's really a great workaround for in Catan and I guarantee all of the people who consider what she did "cheating" would look upon even more unfavorably 3. do the thing she did which there are no rules against and which is basically encouraged by the open ended nature of the trading rules. The idea that you should sit there and "try to win" for an hour or more while being selectively targeted is some nonsense.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
One note I wanted to clarify - my desire to drive the game into the ground when I'm losing is almost directly correlated to the odds of playing another game that night. Like, if it's the difference of fifteen minutes or and hour and fifteen minutes, we have time to play another game. I'm not wasting my time on this one. But if this is the last game regardless, then I'm fine just watching the two math-savants drag it out forever.

Also, I tend to focus on "alternative" victory conditions. If someone takes a castle from me (I don't know, I'm making a game up), and I'm probably going to lose, I might just define "winning" as "taking back that castle". Because that's an achievable goal. Fourth out of five versus third isn't always terribly interesting, so sometimes you have to make it interesting. And I know that focusing on something in a made up narrative can throw people for a loop.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
This general issue is also why I find Ankh’s merge mechanic so interesting (if you aren’t aware of it: the players in last position are forced to merge into essentially a single super player with fewer actions and double turns, with the VP of the lowest player - not quite that simple but close enough). I have only played it once with more than 2p and I can imagine it’s super divisive as a mechanic with some groups but makes it much more interesting to others - for example, if you are falling behind you can begin strategising for the merge, as it might be preferable to be third in a 4 player game and you can work to help the fourth player, lowering your score to make sure you are the one merged and raising the fourth players score so you start out at a higher VP spot. It was great the one game we played at keeping everyone super invested right through the last turn.

Edit: I need to play it more but Ankh is a really interesting game. The components are almost distracting and imply it’s a very different game than it actually is. It’s much less a dudes on a map game and much more a very interactive euro almost like a Knizia design. All the components could easily be something like from Samurai or Tigris and Euphrates in terms of essentially placing adjacent tokens on a highly dynamic and changing board state, with some simple player powers and cards on top of that. But the focus is squarely on the board and a range of interactions between simple effects creating something more complex.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 8, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
good and fun game Quacks has a $75 big box: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QXMW8H4/

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Vitamins, Minerals & Supplements › Vitamins › Multivitamins › The Quacks of Quedlinburg

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

Edit: I need to play it more but Ankh is a really interesting game. The components are almost distracting and imply it’s a very different game than it actually is. It’s much less a dudes on a map game and much more a very interactive euro almost like a Knizia design. All the components could easily be something like from Samurai or Tigris and Euphrates in terms of essentially placing adjacent tokens on a highly dynamic and changing board state, with some simple player powers and cards on top of that. But the focus is squarely on the board and a range of interactions between simple effects creating something more complex.

I was really surprised to hear SVWAG name it their game of the year and highlight how stripped down and tight it is. Certainly advertised as another giant mess like Rising Sun but sounds way more interesting than that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Megasabin posted:

It's a combination of things this thread does not suggest: crowdfunding FOMO hype making you spend money now for games later, the known terrible company Kickstarter, and Sirlin the plagiarist and serial re-edition-er.

Just pass on it. Even if those things are not dealbreakers for you, just like any crowdfunding campaign, if it turns out to be very good, a reprint will happen either through a second crowdfunding campaign or just a regular retail release.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Bottom Liner posted:

I was really surprised to hear SVWAG name it their game of the year and highlight how stripped down and tight it is. Certainly advertised as another giant mess like Rising Sun but sounds way more interesting than that.

It surprised me because I was kind of in the mood for a bit messy dudes on a map game when I bought it, then had to mentally recalibrate a lot. The rules are vey simple and it doesn’t do the trick of dumping tons of additional need to know stuff on cards, instead it has a pretty much deterministic board (very little randomness) and a highly flexible board state - stuff like every few turns a player gets to divide a region in half, creating new areas on the board to contest for area control - this is then where the complexity comes from, it’s highly strategic and potentially a bit of a brain burner where you really need to plan ahead. You can’t just tactically react to what’s going on, despite the changes to the board - you need to set things up turns in advance.

It also has a book full of scenarios and alternative map setups which I haven’t delved into but looks really interesting from a replay-ability standpoint. I have none of the expansions but the base retail set feels like it has tons of variety just by itself, a pleasant change from many Kickstarter projects.

Now that I’m thinking about it I’m going to go look up the horribly expensive expansions anyway. The huge minis are nice but totally unnecessary, I wonder if more people would end up playing this if it was a more conventional box with tokens and meeples. It’s more that kind of game IMO.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How bad is it to be spoiled on the first months of Pandemic Legacy s1? I was thinking of attempting it with some friends but since they're not super into board games, I wanna know how bad it'd be if we dropped it after 2-4 months and I ended up playing it with another group later on. You know, just for peace of mind.

(obviously if it came to that I'd play as if I didn't know anything and let them make all the meta decisions, upgrades and whatnot)

Elman fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 8, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
There's a magic the gathering variant called Commander. It was created by a bunch of fans, (who called it Elder Dragon Highlander) but became so popular that WotC started officially supporting it. A huge part of it's appeal, was that it was, by its nature, very casual. So WotC left the guys that invented it to handle the banlists etc.

One of the things they came up with was Rule 0, which essentially boils down to, "before the game, discuss how powerful of a game you want, and how powerful your decks are, and reach an agreement". Which is to me just kinda codifying healthy social behaviours.

But all the Catan talk, reminds me of an issue, and it's something Citizen Keen touched on, that somehow gets missed often, which I find baffling. And it's that apparently rulebooks need a rule that says "you might play with the same players again in the future, and so in a way this is a legacy game, because your actions will have consequences across multiple games".

And that's not like, a threat. That's just a truism. For some reason, people seem to think "they always go for the point rush strategy, I'll try and stop them by doing warfare" or whatever, is somehow like clever pattern recognition, but "he completely hosed me over last game with a last minute backstab, I can't trust him this game" is 'holding a grudge' and bad pattern recognition or something?

Like if in that one Catan game, the boyfriend had just given his girlfriend really bad offers for four turns, so she just stopped ever trying to trade with him, that wouldn't come across as dickish for some reason?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 8, 2022

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Elman posted:

How bad is it to be spoiled on the first months of Pandemic Legacy s1? I was thinking of attempting it with some friends but since they're not super into board games, I wanna know how bad it'd be if we dropped it after 2-4 months and I ended up playing it with another group later on. You know, just for peace of mind.

(obviously if it came to that I'd play as if I didn't know anything and let them make all the meta decisions, upgrades and whatnot)
There are new mechanics introduced at the start of each of the first few months, but IMO if you aren’t feeling it and are worried about seeing too much, the end of March is a nice stopping point plot-wise.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Elman posted:

Have they played normal Pandemic before? You could try using the "prologue" and playing an essentially normal game of Pandemic on that board a time or two without making any changes.

(Pandemic Legacy Season 1 Minor Spoilers for Jan and Very Minor Spoilers for Feb) You could probably also safely play January but just ignore anything that asks you to do anything permanent (destroy, sticker, etc). I do not think that the primary conceits revealed in January will ruin anything, as they are simply too fundamental and simple. Also, if I recall correctly , a significant part of the permanence in that month is not based on player choice, which sounds bad but it does mean knowing something about it ahead of time is not an issue. I don't want to get particular to avoid spoiling anything for you but I would not suggest going much further than that. Maybe you can do Feb for similar reasons, but that would be too arduous to do without making permanent changes. Then you're committed to either seeing it through or buying a new board, as your average player is going to want to start from the beginning.

Otherwise, if they aren't super into board games, I'd encourage you to find some lighter, shorter, or easier games that have no long-term commitment and see if they will blossom into an enthusiastic board gamer. If you want to keep it co-op, perhaps try thread-approved game and all around beloved game The Crew (Co-Op) or its sequel The Crew: Deep Sea (Co-op).

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Have they played normal Pandemic before? You could try using the "prologue" and playing an essentially normal game of Pandemic on that board a time or two without making any changes.

Yeah, we've played a couple and they do like it and seem to be interested in the campaign. They're not new at board games or anything, it's just that it's a big commitment and it's the first time we play something like this so I'm not 100% sure it'll work out.

I'm fine with not being able to reset it since my other group would play it over Tabletop Sim anyway.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jedit posted:

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like the game or felt it was tedious, but if it was taking you eight hours to play then that's a you problem. I've never had a game of EH last longer than three hours, and that one went to the wire.

We got a mystery that required us to sacrifice two spells while closing a gate, and do that 3 times, so 6 spells total. We had 2 spells between all of us and no way to get more. We pretty much bumbled around the map until someone finally randomly got the Necronomicon. Idk, maybe there was an alternative way to progress, but it seemed like there's nothing we could do other than wait until we land on the right event.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

grate deceiver posted:

We got a mystery that required us to sacrifice two spells while closing a gate, and do that 3 times, so 6 spells total. We had 2 spells between all of us and no way to get more. We pretty much bumbled around the map until someone finally randomly got the Necronomicon. Idk, maybe there was an alternative way to progress, but it seemed like there's nothing we could do other than wait until we land on the right event.

That is a bit of a lovely starting goal, but there are 2 cities that are clearly marked on the board as being likely to give you spells.in their city encounters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

grate deceiver posted:

As printed on the board, Arkham and Buenos Aires have the highest chance to give you a spell from an encounter. There are eight encounter cards for each region in the base game and for those two locations, seven of them can award at least one spell. If you'd sent one player to each location while the other three ran cleanup and gathered resources, you would have had six spells in two turns on average.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
E: Actually, I'm not adding anything here.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 8, 2022

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Megasabin posted:

Puzzle Strike II isn't the 4th revision of the Puzzle Strike rules; it's a completely different game with a similar theme. The first game hewed a bit too closely to Dominion, but Dominion is the best deckbuilder so it ended up pretty good. The new game is a market row game where Sirlin looked at all the problems market rows have and thought "What if there were more ways for the market to screw you over?" A lot of the emphasis seems to be on the game devolving into chaos and how fancy the components are, which, you can't fault Sirlin for not understanding the Kickstarter audience.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

!Klams posted:

One of the things they came up with was Rule 0, which essentially boils down to, "before the game, discuss how powerful of a game you want, and how powerful your decks are, and reach an agreement". Which is to me just kinda codifying healthy social behaviours.

But all the Catan talk, reminds me of an issue, and it's something Citizen Keen touched on, that somehow gets missed often, which I find baffling. And it's that apparently rulebooks need a rule that says "you might play with the same players again in the future, and so in a way this is a legacy game, because your actions will have consequences across multiple games".

And that's not like, a threat. That's just a truism. For some reason, people seem to think "they always go for the point rush strategy, I'll try and stop them by doing warfare" or whatever, is somehow like clever pattern recognition, but "he completely hosed me over last game with a last minute backstab, I can't trust him this game" is 'holding a grudge' and bad pattern recognition or something?
Exactly. Like, I'm not a dick, or I don't want to be. I'm playing games with my friends. I want to be invited back.

We're adding two new people to our board game table, and I've been trying to telegraph that sometimes I get bored and just ouch a lever in the game engine and see what happens when I crank it all the way, even if that's not the optimal way to win, and if your winning strategy presumes that everybody else is going to aim for an optimal strategy, then you don't have a winning strategy.

And 100% agreed: if you screw me over in the first two games of the night, I don't know why you would expect to have a blank slate for the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hempuli posted:

I really like Gaia Project (and Terra Mystica) but am mediocre at best, how easy is it to explain what the problem with Gleens is? I think I've only played one game with them but so far my knowledge of the game is too limited to know much except that Ivits and Itars seem to be the strongest two factions, and that I really like Ambas.

No QIC means no extra range if needed early on and no QIC actions later on. So they lose all timings on expansion early on because they have to go up to nav2 before being able to expand and it reverse snowballs from there. It's the same problems Fakirs had, for the opposite reason: they have massive trouble going anywhere in the early game.
They're not as crippled as the Fakirs in Terra Mystica, mind. Now that's a faction that requires a very narrow set of circumstances and even then the Nomads would be better.

Being able to colonize Gaia planets with 1 ore instead of 1 QIC would be good, if they could actually reach said Gaia planets before people that can spend 2 cubes (one for range, one for the planet) gather said 2 cubes.