Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Trauts posted:

Why is newpipe suddenly failing to load any YouTube videos despite displaying trending etc? This is new, I tried reinstalling the app but still not working. Any other ideas?

They released a new version in the past hour, see https://newpipe.net/blog/pinned/release/newpipe-0.21.16-hotfix/ for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Has google ever explained why they decided that google pay needed its own built in chat functionality, and why its features don't match any of their other chat apps (suggesting to me it's not even, like, messenger in a wrapper, but entirely its own code)?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Reinventing chat is the second interview.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I read an article a while back that intimated the whole deal with the changes to Google Pay was a square peg round hole deal where they threw out things that worked for most of the world (or at least the US) in favor of pandering to the Indian market.

Grain of salt since it's been a while, I think it was on Ars Technica if anybody wants to dig around for it. Since reading that, I just kind of assume that Google is full of idiots who make nonsensical decisions regardless of country or pre-existing apps and features. I'm sure there's a lot of reasoning that would go over my head too but I'm pretty comfortable assuming backwards thinking and possibly self-serving and spite play a big part.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I still haven't signed up for GPay and won't until they kill Google Pay for NFC payments and Play Store poo poo. Why do I need yet another loving way to give people money?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

We never even got it in the UK :iiam:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Has google ever explained why they decided that google pay needed its own built in chat functionality, and why its features don't match any of their other chat apps (suggesting to me it's not even, like, messenger in a wrapper, but entirely its own code)?

Because money talks.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Are there any apps that make mobile web less hell to navigate? Between interstitial ads, popups, banners, and videos I'm feeling like 2005 on desktop again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Are there any apps that make mobile web less hell to navigate? Between interstitial ads, popups, banners, and videos I'm feeling like 2005 on desktop again.

Using nextdns or something similar alleviates a lot of that at least.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I've had modest success with Blokada. Some ads still leak through but then I turn it off and see what I'm missing ....

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Don't visit websites that have interstitial ads, popups, and autoplay videos.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

saintonan posted:

Don't visit websites that have interstitial ads, popups, and autoplay videos.

You might as well say "don't visit websites". But Firefox with uBlock takes the edge off. Breaks a few sites now and then, but well worth it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I use Kiwi Browser, which is a Chrome derivative that allows extensions, and use uBlock and Privacy Badger. Like Ola mentioned for Firefox, it occasionally messes up a site, but is good overall.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just found out about Bromite, but I haven't tried it yet. From their website:

Take back your browser
Bromite is a Chromium fork with ad blocking and privacy enhancements; take back your browser!

The main goal is to provide a no-clutter browsing experience without privacy-invasive features and with the addition of a fast ad-blocking engine.

Minimal UI changes are applied to help curbing the idea of “browser as an advertisement platform”.

All patches are published under GNU/GPL v3 to enable other open source projects’ usage.

Bromite is only available for Android Marshmallow (v6.0, API level 23) and above.

They just recently added support for Userscripts, so that's a plus. I haven't tried it yet, mainly because I've been busy loving around with other stuff.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Using nextdns or something similar alleviates a lot of that at least.

I was using some DNS before and it's great, but I had a noticable lag in loading almost all sites, almost 56k levels of delay. Is that par for the course?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use Firefox Focus as my default browser and pop into FF proper with uBlock Origin when I need cookies or want to push a tab to my PC. I also switched to YouTube Vanced on my devices.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Checked out Bromite. Pretty cool stuff. Might convert.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Bromite is good if you want a Chromium browser, Mull, Fennec, or FF Focus are good for Firefox ones. I believe FF ones let you add extensions too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

cage-free egghead posted:

Bromite is good if you want a Chromium browser, Mull, Fennec, or FF Focus are good for Firefox ones. I believe FF ones let you add extensions too.

The only extension I usually use is adblock/ublock, and it doesn't look necessary with Bromite. I hit a typically VERY ad-laden site and nothing to be found.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Deeters posted:

I use Kiwi Browser, which is a Chrome derivative that allows extensions, and use uBlock and Privacy Badger. Like Ola mentioned for Firefox, it occasionally messes up a site, but is good overall.

I've been using Kiwi along with uBlock Origin for a long time now.
At some point the Chrome engine didn't get any updates, but now it's being updated on each new Chrome release along with several enhancements like their own take on grouped tabs etc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use Duckduckgo as the default browser on my phone, and as far as I can tell it handles adblocking well. I don't do much web browsing on my phone, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I was using some DNS before and it's great, but I had a noticable lag in loading almost all sites, almost 56k levels of delay. Is that par for the course?

Not in my experience with nextdns at least, it's always felt snappy to me

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Is Brave still considered an ok browser?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

Is Brave still considered an ok browser?

They are heavily into crypto bullshit and to my knowledge don't provide any benefit over using something like Duckduckgo or Firefox with privacy extensions.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If you want a Chromium-based browser without spyware try Bromite. You'll need to install F-Droid and add the Bromite repository, but that should take you a few minutes at most.

On F-Droid you can also find Fennec, which is Firefox without the Mozilla telemetry (it's what I use - the addons are better on Firefox-based browsers).

If that's too much trouble, Brave is probably still better than Chrome. While crypto bullshit is cringe, I do actually believe that the Brave guys are honestly trying to create an ethical, privacy-respecting ad economy. Unfortunately for them I want the entire concept of an ad economy to burn in Hell, so that's gonna be a no from me.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 7, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you think crypto is ethical you really need to look into it past it being ""cringe""

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

flatluigi posted:

if you think crypto is ethical you really need to look into it past it being ""cringe""

There's a giant GBS thread if you want to delve deeper, yeah.

OP asked if Brave is still considered an OK browser. The short answer is: there are better options, but Brave is still OK. If he's happy with it, he doesn't need to switch.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Do any of the chromium-derived browsers sync bookmarks or other stuff with Chrome?

I realise this runs against the privacy issues, but I find it very handy to have the same bookmarks across browsers and use "send to another device" feature daily

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

There are more bookmark sync services out there than you can shake an extremely large stick at.

I use Joplin on all my devices for all my links, notes, and random media. It has browser extensions as well as native apps, and you can self-host it or use the cloud version. Kinda ugly but very functional.

If you specifically want to have Google handle your poo poo via Sign In With Google ®, then just install Chrome.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

NihilCredo posted:

There's a giant GBS thread if you want to delve deeper, yeah.

OP asked if Brave is still considered an OK browser. The short answer is: there are better options, but Brave is still OK. If he's happy with it, he doesn't need to switch.

I'm happy with it, but I also have all the crypto stuff turned off. Ideally, I'd like a browser that I can use on both my phone and computer that doesn't hog ram like Chrome and Firefox do.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are there file browsers that let me access my SD card on Android 11? I was using it to store all my music. Why have an SD slot if I'm not allowed to use any of the files on it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Are there file browsers that let me access my SD card on Android 11? I was using it to store all my music. Why have an SD slot if I'm not allowed to use any of the files on it?

Just the standard Files app lets me browse my SD card. Is it not showing up there? Have you tried reseating it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, so apparently what happened is that my SD card stopped being readable, but Solid Explorer was telling me that it couldn't read my SD card 'to protect my privacy' so I jumped to the conclusion that this was a hamfisted attempt to keep android users from sideloading viruses. Anyway poo poo works now.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I recently switched from Chrome to Firefox so that I can install uBlock. All working great, except for the fact that now Chrome isn't my default browser any more, any links to Twitter from another app, (e.g. awful app or discord) now open in a Firefox window instead of the Twitter PWA.

Any way to force this, other than switching Chrome back to default browser, or installing the native Twitter app? There's an "open in app" option in the Firefox menu so like that but automatically. Turning on "open links in apps" in Firefox settings doesn't seem to do it.

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2022

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Gifs have stopped loading in Flamingo for me, anyone else experience this and know what I can do to fix it?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

Gifs have stopped loading in Flamingo for me, anyone else experience this and know what I can do to fix it?

Same thing is happening to me. Twitter probably hosed with their API again, so until (unless?) the dev fixes it (if it even can be, since Twitter hates 3rd party apps), we're probably out of luck.

For now, if I really wanna know what the GIF is, I share the link to my browser and view it there.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That's a bummer, I hope I can keep using Flamingo because I don't know any good alternatives.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

That's a bummer, I hope I can keep using Flamingo because I don't know any good alternatives.

There's another app called Albatross and one called harpy that seems to be nice enough. Both seem to be using the Twitter API 2 but who knows how far along those apps would get. Both apps are in beta and harpy right now doesn't even support DM's.

Looking into what the Flamingo dev has said on Twitter it doesn't seem like he wants to update the app for the new API right now.

For now, I'm just using the official app, but I was really hoping that Android would have its own version of Tweetbot (or an equivalent) that would be constantly updated with new features.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Apologies if this has recently been answered. It's been a few years since I've had to use something like this, but does anyone have any recs for good apps to use an android phone as a remote control for a Windows PC? Just something simple that lets me use the mouse/virtual keyboard/switch it off from bed kinda thing. I've been using the Steam Link app to turn the PC off, which works but feels like a bit of a workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Skeezy posted:

There's another app called Albatross and one called harpy that seems to be nice enough. Both seem to be using the Twitter API 2 but who knows how far along those apps would get. Both apps are in beta and harpy right now doesn't even support DM's.

Looking into what the Flamingo dev has said on Twitter it doesn't seem like he wants to update the app for the new API right now.

For now, I'm just using the official app, but I was really hoping that Android would have its own version of Tweetbot (or an equivalent) that would be constantly updated with new features.

Thank you, I'll look into the apps you mentioned.