Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks, I hated it at first, but now I also very much appreciate the editing and am conflicted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

CaptainACAB posted:

I have yet to hear an argument that wiping Texas from the map wouldn't improve humanity.

Austin City Limits is a good show.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ty vyelkin, you're doing a helluva job

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/1490739576188682244

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the republican party in the states is desparately trying to brand itself as "the party of the workers" so every right-wing media outlet there has been gloming onto this protest as if its a worker uprising spurned on by libertarian thought patterns that they ultimately support

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

It is not.

The law that makes you a cop in Ottawa makes you a cop anywhere in Ontario. Local regs may order you not to do cop stuff in other jurisdictions, but legally your powers work just as well in Emo as they do in Cornwall, and certainly anywhere in Ottawa you can get into without bolt cutters.

There are MOUs here that carve up the city into areas of primary jurisdiction. Usually this causes problems on the highways: if you see someone do something dumb in traffic on the 417, the OPS desk will fob you off on the OPP (so if you're eastbound, just wait until you're past the split and then call the locals).

The National Capital Commission is the federal agency responsible for maintaining the buildings, roads and grounds of the government departments in the region, in both Ontario and Quebec. They're famously unaccountable and routinely piss off municipal governments on both sides with their enforcement, which a lot of people think is highhanded. The agency of primary jurisdiction for federal lands is the federal police (RCMP, or GRC in French), so when the NCC needs some kids kicked out of their lemonade stand, it's the gravel road cops who go do that for them. Confederation Park is managed by the NCC, so while Ottawa cops absolutely can go there to do cop stuff (and have), they prefer not to, and "what the gently caress were you doing in the park" is a question that comes up a lot behind closed doors, so I'm told

Theres also PPS and the Military Police, both of whom are Peace Officers, and the 3 Bahnpolizei agencies. I think the Mint Police are Peace Officers as well.

Hiding behind jurisdiction, I think, is just smoke and mirrors assuming most people dont know how policing works in Canada generally and NCR specifically to get the heat off OPS.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

i wonder if they could bust these chuds for mischief?

(i know _why_ they aren't, i'm just curious)

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Someone should really just repeat a post saying that the reason these chuds are still there is because the police support them, they're on the same side. Put it at the top of every page so people stop asking lol

It should not be hard to understand that cops like fascists and will help them until forced to do otherwise, and it will take a poo poo load of forcing.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Someone should really just repeat a post saying that the reason these chuds are still there is because the police support them, they're on the same side. Put it at the top of every page so people stop asking lol

It should not be hard to understand that cops like fascists and will help them until forced to do otherwise, and it will take a poo poo load of forcing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wonder if they could bust these chuds for mischief?

(i know _why_ they aren't, i'm just curious)

they're the police, they could bust them for whatever they want

they could arrest them on whatever pretense they make up, crack some skulls, civil forfeiture every single truck, and face no consequences whatsoever for it, if they wanted to

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
some of those that work forces, are the same that hold up crossings

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

vyelkin posted:

they're the police, they could bust them for whatever they want

they could arrest them on whatever pretense they make up, crack some skulls, civil forfeiture every single truck, and face no consequences whatsoever for it, if they wanted to

yeah, fair enough, i guess i knew the answer before i even asked.

re: civil forfeiture this is being floated by del duca right now. gonna be wild if they try it (but i doubt they will)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What are we paying the Chief Herald all that money to make these insignias for?

Cops on cops on cops. We have the federal policing of a European nation, including gendarmes, why are they claiming jurisdiction issues when all of these agencies already operate in NCR?

CBSA are Peace Officers, so add them to the list

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Feb 7, 2022

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

thread title A+

CaptainACAB posted:

I have yet to hear an argument that wiping Texas from the map wouldn't improve humanity.

If we manage to evict Abbott it would probably get better pretty quick, the incumbent leadership has been circling the drain since before Trump. They serve no purpose, and the state is long overdue for legal agricultural pot among other things.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
All Americans who want to post in this thread are required to watch the following 2 videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHl_Oi-u7rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2TWtjhNDww

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

Theres also PPS and the Military Police, both of whom are Peace Officers, and the 3 Bahnpolizei agencies. I think the Mint Police are Peace Officers as well.

Hiding behind jurisdiction, I think, is just smoke and mirrors assuming most people dont know how policing works in Canada generally and NCR specifically to get the heat off OPS.

Source on the MPs being "police officers" within the meaning of the police services act? Cause they weren't, as recently as 2010; unless there's a military nexus their jurisdictional situation was very murky.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

idgaf about the olympics but this was an impressive bit of cheating on the part of a Chinese speed skater against a Canadian athlete

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you spot it?

The Chinese skater reaches between the feet of the Canadian skater at the rear and throws the little witches hat right under the feet of the Canadian in second.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Oct 29, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
More like foreskin fathers

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
China wins again

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

Source on the MPs being "police officers" within the meaning of the police services act? Cause they weren't, as recently as 2010; unless there's a military nexus their jurisdictional situation was very murky.

My cousin badged over to a civie service, and they give out speeding tickets in Edmonton? I never thought to look into after some briefing where we were told they were the only real police in NATO, as opposed to Brit Redcaps and Yank MPs. Plus bits and pieces from indoc way back when.

Theres a SCC case from 1987 saying they arent, but then the Trade description says:

All Canadian citizens are entitled to the same rights, privileges and protection under Canadian law, and Military Police Officers are qualified to provide these services to the same standard as every other Canadian police service. Military Police Officers work routinely within the civilian criminal and military justice systems, and are recognised as peace officers in the Criminal Code of Canada. With over 1,250 full-time members, they form one of the largest police forces in Canada.

What I would guess is that as the result of the 87 case they took the steps to become real police, because I have seen them pull over civs in Ottawa, Kingston and Edmonton. Idk about Victoria and Halifax, but maybe there is less speeding by the dockyards so it hasnt come up. Ive seen Ottawa MPs make traffics stops on NCC land, if Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth along the canal are the jurisdictional issue OPS is hiding behind, and theyre posted up at the cenotaph every summer after the attack.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Feb 7, 2022

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

skipmyseashells posted:

some of those that work forces, are the same that block crossings

gotta at least keep the same metre

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

yep, cops in this country have no trouble beating down on indigenous protests or homeless encampments or harassing poor people in general

the war nerd guy wrote about his time in poverty in canada and it wasn't pleasant

quote:

Car. Got one? Maybe you should sell it. Cars drain the last dollars out of you. And theres something worse: cops can smell desperation, and they hate the poor. I didnt use to hate cops much, except drug cops, but God, I hate them now. The real purpose of cops is to keep poor people off the roads. Thats their only real goal. On my way to an interview for a job that could have gotten us out of the gutter, a cop stopped me because my insurance was two weeks overduefor the simple reason we didnt have money to pay it. She gave me a $600 ticket for that, plus $120 for not having an updated address on my drivers license. Then she called for a tow truck and told me, So, a lesson learned here today! as I watched my car towed away and trudged off with our terrified dog down a typical Western suburban road: four lanes of fast traffic with no sidewalks. Are you poor? The cops are your enemy now. Accept it. The car is how theyll try to get you. Sell it if you canwhich is to say, if theres any decent public transportationhah!where you live.

quebec's response shows how easy it'd be to ticket and fine those dipshits out of there, they just don't want to because they're on the same side

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

mila kunis posted:

yep, cops in this country have no trouble beating down on indigenous protests or homeless encampments or harassing poor people in general

the war nerd guy wrote about his time in poverty in canada and it wasn't pleasant

quebec's response shows how easy it'd be to ticket and fine those dipshits out of there, they just don't want to because they're on the same side

where did you get that excerpt? Id love to read the rest of it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

a primate posted:

where did you get that excerpt? Id love to read the rest of it

anecdotes are scattered around a few places

https://web.archive.org/web/20210118103911/https://pando.com/2015/10/02/canada-was-cakewalk/

https://exiledonline.com/living-with-cons-and-paupers-in-canadas-arctic-waters/

https://exiledonline.com/tips-for-new-paupers/

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Police: fascist sympathizers or fascism doers?
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1490515834367844357

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

thanks for this

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

it's front-page news in the US because the US right sees it as an inspiring model for resisting Covid mandates and is promoting it 24/7 on media and governmental platforms

and the US right might be the primary funding of the loving thing too as it turns out

Frosted Flake posted:

ive read that its possible he just got really bad legal advice, but i guess i'd expect police chiefs to be extremely familiar with their jurisdiction and its limitations so he could just be trying to extort the city for more a bigger budget, or is a dumbass, or all three. who knows!

people are freaking out about this being some kind of existential crisis for the country, and I'm still not convinced. it genuinely is awful for the people and workers of the cities who have to deal with this poo poo for sure, but ultimately it's up to the people who live there to start organizing to tackle the huge problem they have with their police force. knowing ottawa, they probably aren't going to do poo poo.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Feb 7, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

embed into thread pls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

My cousin badged over to a civie service, and they give out speeding tickets in Edmonton? I never thought to look into after some briefing where we were told they were the only real police in NATO, as opposed to Brit Redcaps and Yank MPs. Plus bits and pieces from indoc way back when.

Theres a SCC case from 1987 saying they arent, but then the Trade description says:

All Canadian citizens are entitled to the same rights, privileges and protection under Canadian law, and Military Police Officers are qualified to provide these services to the same standard as every other Canadian police service. Military Police Officers work routinely within the civilian criminal and military justice systems, and are recognised as peace officers in the Criminal Code of Canada. With over 1,250 full-time members, they form one of the largest police forces in Canada.

What I would guess is that as the result of the 87 case they took the steps to become real police, because I have seen them pull over civs in Ottawa, Kingston and Edmonton. Idk about Victoria and Halifax, but maybe there is less speeding by the dockyards so it hasnt come up. Ive seen Ottawa MPs make traffics stops on NCC land, if Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth along the canal are the jurisdictional issue OPS is hiding behind, and theyre posted up at the cenotaph every summer after the attack.

Badging over's different; whatever some agency's willing to accept at par is on them. Some take MP badges at par, some don't, some like OPS should probably stop doing that.

Not all peace officers are police officers, and we weren't then, which is why I ask. It was made clear to us that Ontario's Police Services Act did not include us in its definition, and that we technically had 494 powers only on civvy street (with the usual caveats about taking legal advice from the police, especially when those police are also your boss). We'd still drive on civvy street to and from our jurisdictional spots, and if we happened to see something along the way, welll.... we did have 494 powers and there was a common expectation to act; i.e., the public can't tell an MP car from an OPS one and would get mad if they saw us just drive past a person who was doing crimes. Officially, it was always with the [stated] intention to hand them over to the locals straight away. Occasionally people played sillybuggers with the rules, and I saw a few people get poo poo on for getting caught patrolling civvy street where they had no reason to be.

I remember needing to get creative when I had to form someone I caught on the base in the middle of a schizophrenic break. This guy was definitely going to die on the roadway, so I needed him elsewhere, but if I'd arrested him (my only option), I had no assurances that the locals wouldn't just toss him in a cell. I ended up negotiating with him and his demons for about half an hour, before eventually convincing everyone that I was going to lead him to safety, and that this safety was a hospital, and that he needed to speak with a medical doctor for a while about it. The doctor was visibly annoyed that I hadn't formed him myself, and the conversation I had with him to convince him of this fact made me wish I was back on the roadside talking about satan's giant meteors instead. My own boss was annoyed for the same reasons, and didn't take at all kindly to me lawsplaining him the reasons I couldn't just shut off someone's liberty and drag him somewhere he didn't want to go :bang:

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Feb 7, 2022

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Watson managing to top OBrien for worst Mayor in just a week of terribleness. Took Obrien a few years or so to gently caress up LRT and cause the OC transpo strike.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dreylad posted:

people are freaking out about this being some kind of existential crisis for the country, and I'm still not convinced. it genuinely is awful for the people and workers of the cities who have to deal with this poo poo for sure, but ultimately it's up to the people who live there to start organizing to tackle the huge problem they have with their police force. knowing ottawa, they probably aren't going to do poo poo.

I'm not at "existential crisis" either, but the people treating it like a giant nothingburger have an even weaker case. it doesn't seem like an insignificant event, and people are smart enough to realize their local police force ain't so different from ottawa's

then again, I'm getting my "what's the milquetoast liberal take" from grimes's mom's appearance on last week's canadaland, so I could have the wrong idea

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

Redcap Stuff

Huh, well how about that. Thanks. Were you around for the MPs and RCMP (Fredericton cops?) arguing over who was responsible for policing Gagetown PMQs? I hadnt considered that dimension to it, I thought it was just squabbling over who had to deal with the domestics and DUIs there.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

pokeyman posted:

I'm not at "existential crisis" either, but the people treating it like a giant nothingburger have an even weaker case. it doesn't seem like an insignificant event, and people are smart enough to realize their local police force ain't so different from ottawa's

then again, I'm getting my "what's the milquetoast liberal take" from grimes's mom's appearance on last week's canadaland, so I could have the wrong idea

its not an existential crisis for the country but its rapidly becoming one for local leadership. Im too close to really know how its being perceived w.r.t. provincial and federal level but Watson not running for re-election is whats gonna save him from
being massacred. some local city councillors are stepping up, as has been stated. Could see the start of a new trend in Ottawa politics

but yeah probably not

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

The longer this goes on the worse it gets and the more serious it becomes. It's p clear this is funded and aided in large part by people and orgs outside of Canada.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I agree it's not existential crisis yet but again the longer it goes on the more likely it is it becomes one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

any good people to follow on twitter for this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

My own boss was annoyed for the same reasons, and didn't take at all kindly to me lawsplaining him the reasons I couldn't just shut off someone's liberty and drag him somewhere he didn't want to go :bang:

it seems like you could have, but it was good of you not to.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

its not an existential crisis for the country but its rapidly becoming one for local leadership. Im too close to really know how its being perceived w.r.t. provincial and federal level but Watson not running for re-election is whats gonna save him from
being massacred. some local city councillors are stepping up, as has been stated. Could see the start of a new trend in Ottawa politics

but yeah probably not

yeah I think this is a fair assessment. the convoy is just another flare up of culture war nonsense, and likely will have the same long-term impact as occupy. but in it is rooted a serious problem in that if local politics can't respond to something like this in any effective way going forward then that becomes the real political crisis, not a convoy of right wing weirdos showing up in the deadass of winter for a week and annoying most people and putting a few others at risk.