Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DarkHorse posted:

Calling them out for being a sensitive snowflake and triggered is another fun one

I do that sometimes.

But I don't curse to intentionally piss them off or trigger them. It's just a force of habit from growing up near Philadelphia and basically just the natural way I talk. It's just weird that 50 years after George Carlin pointed it out, that the seven dirty words STILL freak them the gently caress out and get them clutching pearls but they cry when people point out that n****r or f***** no longer fly and whine about free speech issues. I'm capable of seeing the difference with those words that are intentionally used to degrade, insult or inflict hurt versus ones that people arbitrarily decided for one reason or another are simply "bad". I removed "r****d" from my vocabulary as well.

Because it's MEAN.

I TRY to watch my language around people who I know are sensitive to it and also around my kid (with varying degrees of success) but the thing is, not only are these people often up in arms that I occasionally invoke Jesus' name or talk like a Tarantino character, unlike them I'm not talking that way JUST to provoke them. The N, F and R words are all language directly intended to degrade. gently caress, dammit and JC are usually just me expressing frustration at something but they're not slurs.

And I don't automatically feel censored or cry about free speech if someone politely asks me to watch my (loving) language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

simplefish posted:

To be fair, living an entire life in a hicktown chudbubble of say 3000 people, they might well feel like their views are majority views.

If they moved to a city of several million, perhaps not so..

Nah, because then they know they're part of the "silent majority" and everyone secretly agrees with them but are afraid to say so because it'll upset the Wokes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Both "The Silent Majority" and "The Moral Majority" were treated as being absolute truth back in their days and got a lot of attention and sway

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Taerkar posted:

Both "The Silent Majority" and "The Moral Majority" were treated as being absolute truth back in their days and got a lot of attention and sway

Never quite understood 'we are the silent majority, most people agree but are too afraid to say it'.

Like, you lot never loving stop talking, how do you think you're the silent anything?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Red Oktober posted:

Never quite understood 'we are the silent majority, most people agree but are too afraid to say it'.

Like, you lot never loving stop talking, how do you think you're the silent anything?

Of course they are always talking, but they cannot say what they really mean! Otherwise if they do, the evil libs will throw them in patriot prison!

And by say what they really mean they mean :godwinning:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Red Oktober posted:

Because they're Brave and aren't going to be Silent any more!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
While it's not a majority in any sense of the term, a lot of them are taking the fact that Trump got the second most votes of any presidential candidate in history as proof that the Silent Majority is real. Especially since a lot of them think that Biden getting the most is a lie/fraud.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

simplefish posted:

To be fair, living an entire life in a hicktown chudbubble of say 3000 people, they might well feel like their views are majority views.

If they moved to a city of several million, perhaps not so..

Move to a city?

They'd rather die due to being 45 minutes away from any available medical services. Seriously, the absolute vitriol I hear chuds spew about cities is really something to behold. Like they can't even admit that cities have nice things, and if they do they need to make sure you know 2 bad things for every 1 good thing. They for sure have a complex.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I really dislike the “my way of life is better” than anyone else’s.

I live in a rural area. It has its benefits and costs but everyone around here thinks it is a better life than anything else in the world. A friend makes a podcasts about businesses in small towns and it is constantly “small town life is so much better than big city life” or they use the phrase “this is real America” regularly.

I am guessing there is a counterbalance of people in cities thinking the reverse. I can see good and bad to both places but many people just want to see their lifestyle as the only proper way.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I wonder, because there has to be a non-zero amount, how many people adopt the "my life is the only correct life" mentality as a way to cope with the fact that going somewhere else really isn't a feasible option for them for whatever reason.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I really dislike the “my way of life is better” than anyone else’s.

“this is real America”

I am guessing there is a counterbalance of people in cities thinking the reverse. I can see good and bad to both places but many people just want to see their lifestyle as the only proper way.

I mean, people tend to say most of the US is urban as a counterpoint, but treat this like it means everyone is in one of the top 5 or 10 cities. Urban also included millions upon countless millions of people in places of like 50-500k. "Urbans are like this rurals are like this" breaks the gently caress down when you remember that Davenport, Waco, and Boise are urban.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah Dallas and LA are both urban but I imagine they are both very different lifestyles.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah Dallas and LA are both urban but I imagine they are both very different lifestyles.

I mean, not really except for the state-level fuckery by the Texas GOP. Dallas and Houston are loving enormous, diverse blue cities. NYC and the other eastern cities would be a better contrast since they are older and not as bad for Highway Hell development, but LA is developed for car culture like the TX cities and Atlanta.

FWIW Houston and Phoenix are cities 3 and 4 by population, which is another thing I don't think anyone fighting Urban v Rural culture wars realize.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Trying to remember, but kneeling is bad, right?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

borkencode posted:

Trying to remember, but kneeling is bad, right?

Kneeling is actually very good as long as you do it for the white reasons.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

the_steve posted:

Kneeling is actually very good as long as you do it for the white reasons.
Wood cutouts of cowboys kneeling before crosses in the front of exurban houses are also acceptable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My neighbors here have a sign on their house that says "We STAND for the flag, we KNEEL for the cross."

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Twelve by Pies posted:

My neighbors here have a sign on their house that says "We STAND for the flag, we KNEEL for the cross."

Print ‘em out some of these to be friendly

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LonsomeSon posted:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

You hate goat man? That doesn't ring true.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McVeigh 2024, he can win it, he'll come back just like JFK

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ah yes McVeigh. Noted leftist

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I have the same question actually.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ah yes McVeigh. Noted leftist

lol yeah I should have included a “this is another response image I have from the Trumbo years like the stand for shaggy/kneel for shrek which posters liked” line, that’s my bad

The OKC one got local CHUDs mad enough that it spread into some of their back channels I was helping keep an eye on, it was a good time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
"I like this" - Devil

lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I would be fascinated to know what that guy thinks is sold at halal butcher shops if beef is off the table.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Misleading, aka "true, but it makes me feel bad"

Also yes the electoral college isn't the concession to slave states, the 3/5ths compromise was. The college is a concession to 13 tiny countries who want to start working together, but also all have designated portions of their populations they very much don't want to give votes to. Oh wait, those portions are slaves. Oops! Slavery was the reason, again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheFlyingLlama posted:

meme policeman has a patreon? 41 patrons for 150 bucks a month.

who pays for meme policing?

41 people at a rate of about 3 bucks a person. It's right there in your post.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

41 people at a rate of about 3 bucks a person. It's right there in your post.

we want names and addresses so we can go kinkshame them op

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Also yes the electoral college isn't the concession to slave states, the 3/5ths compromise was. The college is a concession to 13 tiny countries who want to start working together, but also all have designated portions of their populations they very much don't want to give votes to. Oh wait, those portions are slaves. Oops! Slavery was the reason, again.

When I was a kid in history class they taught us that the reason the electoral college was created was that the other colonies were worried that Virginia (being the largest colony at the time) would effectively control the country so they used the college to ensure that the other states could "overrule" it in a sense, if need be. I went to school in Virginia so was that just another bit of rewriting history to make things look less racist?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

LonsomeSon posted:

lol yeah I should have included a “this is another response image I have from the Trumbo years like the stand for shaggy/kneel for shrek which posters liked” line, that’s my bad

The OKC one got local CHUDs mad enough that it spread into some of their back channels I was helping keep an eye on, it was a good time.

This is some straight up madlibs poo poo. "[Politician] has said [he/she] will impose [noun] at all [organization] events! Still not scared? This means no [thing]!"

"I like this! - [Person]"

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 10, 2022

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Why is my dad saying that “Biden is giving away free crack pipes like they are obamaphones”?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

they're providing grant money towards harm reduction, which included "safe smoking kits". Right wing media took this to mean "oh they're giving out crack pipes!" whereas the official response to what's in them was "contain alcohol swabs, lip balm, other materials to promote hygiene and reduce the transmission of diseases like HIV and hepatitis"

there's 0 evidence that there was every any intention to give out crack pipes but the truth doesn't matter

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

When I was a kid in history class they taught us that the reason the electoral college was created was that the other colonies were worried that Virginia (being the largest colony at the time) would effectively control the country so they used the college to ensure that the other states could "overrule" it in a sense, if need be. I went to school in Virginia so was that just another bit of rewriting history to make things look less racist?

I wonder if Virginia’s population minus slaves was a lot more in line with the population of the other initial states?

GutBomb posted:

Why is my dad saying that “Biden is giving away free crack pipes like they are obamaphones”?

dudes say this automatically when it’s time to put them down

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GutBomb posted:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden-crack-pipes-racial-equity/

Also, they're really Reagan phones

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Virginian delegation itself proposed and endorsed the electoral system instead of a popular vote, and it wasn't out of altruism.

It wasn't just slavery, though. A popular vote would have given disproportionate influence to any state that expanded the franchise; not just to black people but to white men without property, and maybe even women! The Electoral College was a benefit to any state that wanted to shut part of its population out of voting rights without paying for it in presidential elections.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well, poo poo. The Electoral college sucked from the beginning since Virginia was the constant home of future Presidents.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The beginning of our country was essentially a struggle where Virginia was backed up by the other slave states vs New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts, and Virginia won! At least for like 20-30 years. We had a thing called the Era of Good Feelings and it was essentially a one party dictatorship where Virginia folks were in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Killer robot posted:

It wasn't just slavery, though. A popular vote would have given disproportionate influence to any state that expanded the franchise; not just to black people but to white men without property, and maybe even women!

:eng101: In New Jersey women and African Americans were allowed to vote until 1807.

link

From Link posted:

The 19th Amendment gave women the right to vote, but some New Jersey women could vote as early as 1776. New Jersey’s first constitution in 1776 gave voting rights to “all inhabitants of this colony, of full age, who are worth fifty pounds … and have resided within the county … for twelve months.” In 1790 the legislature reworded the law to say “he or she,” clarifying that both men and women had voting rights. But only single women could vote because married women could not own property. Still, many unmarried women voted in New Jersey in the 1790s and the very early 1800s.

African Americans in the state could vote if they met the residency and property requirements. In 1797, the New Jersey government required voters to be free inhabitants. We do not know if enslaved African Americans voted before this law was passed -- the property requirements made that unlikely, but no law specifically prohibited them from doing so.

In 1807, the state legislature restricted suffrage (voting rights) to tax-paying, white male citizens. This was done to give the Democratic-Republican Party an advantage in the 1808 presidential election. Women often voted for the opposing Federalist Party, so taking away women’s voting rights helped the Democratic-Republicans. This law also took voting rights away from African Americans.