Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

People have been making GBS threads on Joss Whedon since 2015, his wife accused him of abuse in 2017. I think the only reason Whedon "fell" was because Ray Fisher also named executives in 2020 alongside Joss Whedon as the problem and I assume those guys at the top decided to give them something to eat to save their own careers.

I don't think his comments to and about Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins helped either. Kinda difficult to play "Male Feminist Ally" while also being on record threatening to gently caress up two prominent women's careers if they won't obey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I don't think his comments to and about Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins helped either. Kinda difficult to play "Male Feminist Ally" while also being on record threatening to gently caress up two prominent women's careers if they won't obey

end of the day i was mostly just saying that Whedon's fall was a long time coming and it didn't happen because he stopped making crap like Dr. Horrible or a calvalcade of quick-cancelled TV shows. Hollywood doesn't give a poo poo if the poo poo you make is good, you can basically coast on mediocrity for a long time as long as you make money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0N-kgMUbA

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm personally very grateful for Whedon's fall because it got my friends to stop chiding me to watch Dr. Horrible.

There are so many good reasons to despise the man; no need to blame him for his parents' negligence.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm personally very grateful for Whedon's fall because it got my friends to stop chiding me to watch Dr. Horrible.

There are so many good reasons to despise the man; no need to blame him for his parents' negligence.

*eyes go blank, voice changes to a single flat tone*

But you really should watch Dr. Horrible, it's really good, Felicia Day and Nathan Fillion and Niel Patrick Harris are in it. The songs are really g

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

end of the day i was mostly just saying that Whedon's fall was a long time coming and it didn't happen because he stopped making crap like Dr. Horrible or a calvalcade of quick-cancelled TV shows. Hollywood doesn't give a poo poo if the poo poo you make is good, you can basically coast on mediocrity for a long time as long as you make money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH0N-kgMUbA

Well yeah, there was discussion of Whedon being a creep from his on-set bullshit with Buffy actresses back at least to the early 2010s, probably more muted and confined to LJ fandom communities before that, even. I remember a lot of people going "what the gently caress" at everything involving Dollhouse as a show and premise, which I'm sure is why it never built up the level of cult following or post-cancellation success as Firefly. And that was all before the Avengers movies.

Still, Whedon finally getting properly and fully branded as an abuser after Justice League flopped in box offices, after Ray Fisher and Gal Gadot said he was a monster on set to them and the old receipts of similar behavior were pulled up again, after the Snyder Cut showed everything about the movie he touched was made substantially worse, a general realization that his twee quippy rambly writing style has horribly poisoned genre movie and TV writing, and then Whedon's recent interview where he had the audacity to go "Ray Fisher was a false flag op to destroy me, Gal Galdot is a dumb foreigner who no comprede my English good, and I've thought about everything and decided it's all wrong and I still rule!" has just been a compounding series of disasters that finally burned whatever credibility or respect anyone had left for him.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I like to think the joke at his expense in The Boys played a factor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well yeah, there was discussion of Whedon being a creep from his on-set bullshit with Buffy actresses back at least to the early 2010s, probably more muted and confined to LJ fandom communities before that, even. I remember a lot of people going "what the gently caress" at everything involving Dollhouse as a show and premise, which I'm sure is why it never built up the level of cult following or post-cancellation success as Firefly. And that was all before the Avengers movies.

That the realization Dollhouse was about slavery only came to Whedon while they were already deep into the show is telling.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Anyone else feel a little iffy on Kamigawa being made into MtG's first sci-fi / cyberpunk set?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I did, but they hired a lot of cultural sensitivity consultants and by all accounts actually listened to them so I'm less concerned

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

The Bee posted:

Anyone else feel a little iffy on Kamigawa being made into MtG's first sci-fi / cyberpunk set?

Is this a gimmick, or is this part of the story going forward? Like they find ancient tech (and it's mecha and lightsaber-katanas), or the Phyrexians invade or something? Cause there's already a bunch of sci-fi tech in the Magic universe, and there has been since at least the Weatherlight Saga (where they have a literal spaceship).

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

The Bee posted:

I feel a little iffy about the part where a prominent East Asian female character becomes tainted and enslaved by exposure to a foreign colonizer's bodily fluids, but I also won't reject the possibility that I'm reading a little too deeply into Tamiyo, Compleated Sage.

Apart from that everything seems fun and good-spirited? Nothing setting off my alarms, but I also thought the same about the South Asian themed Kaladesh only to hear about The 7-11 Incident much layer, so I won't pretend to be an authority on the subject.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

lightrook posted:

I feel a little iffy about the part where a prominent East Asian female character becomes tainted and enslaved by exposure to a foreign colonizer's bodily fluids, but I also won't reject the possibility that I'm reading a little too deeply into Tamiyo, Compleated Sage.

Apart from that everything seems fun and good-spirited? Nothing setting off my alarms, but I also thought the same about the South Asian themed Kaladesh only to hear about The 7-11 Incident much layer, so I won't pretend to be an authority on the subject.
They had her survive being possessed by an Eldrazi with seemingly no long lasting effects just so she could be phyrexianified.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

GreenMetalSun posted:

Is this a gimmick, or is this part of the story going forward? Like they find ancient tech (and it's mecha and lightsaber-katanas), or the Phyrexians invade or something? Cause there's already a bunch of sci-fi tech in the Magic universe, and there has been since at least the Weatherlight Saga (where they have a literal spaceship).

It's just because they wanted to go back to Kamigawa but needed a hook, and the original sets were technically set in the past so they just advanced the storyline and improve the setting a bit.

In any case, basically everyone I know had the same basic reaction as The Bee when it was announced, but now that the set's out it seems like they did make an earnest attempt to make the setting better and not orientalist. They also released a video on how they were updating the setting at the start of the promo cycle, and while it's what you'd expect a corporation to say if they wanted to look good it's still an interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoDigd9xl_c

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DriveThruRPG/status/1490742443549077509?t=mOJM2w2Po-vzjFDjE-0AYA&s=19

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Okay, good. It was definitely a bit of am eyebrow raiser to stumble upon, but I'm glad to hear they're at least doing the premise right imstead of diving headfirst onto orientalism.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Why do I get the feeling this is worded so they could suddenly "see" a use for it later that they hadn't seen before.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Sachant posted:

Why do I get the feeling this is worded so they could suddenly "see" a use for it later that they hadn't seen before.

If you think this tweet is trying to "gotcha" us with clever wording I have very bad news for you: tweets are not binding contracts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sachant posted:

"ever"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That tweet is an unequivocal rejection and reading it otherwise is just paranoia.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
it's likely phrased that way because they're trying to stave off the people trying to pitch their brilliant NFT ideas like "what if a book was an NFT" or "what if a character sheet on the blockchain" rather than any kind of clever phrasing to obscure anything

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Chairman posted:

"what if a character sheet on the blockchain"

You'd make trillions!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What if you could transfer your digital rpg books on the blockchain?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Xelkelvos posted:

What if you could transfer your digital rpg books on the blockchain?

You mean that you could (arguably) resell them at a later point?

You'd be a thousandaire!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
NFTs are so loving stupid it's almost impossible to even satirize them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

BlackIronHeart posted:

NFTs are so loving stupid it's almost impossible to even satirize them.

the first time i heard about bitcoin a billion years ago i thought "wow that sounds complicated and dumb" and every single new thing to come out of the crypto world just seems even more complicated and dumber

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

The Chairman posted:

One of my friends is working on this. I've tried to convince him how stupid it is but ever since he uttered the phrase "character sheet auditors" I knew he was lost.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

LongDarkNight posted:

ever since he uttered the phrase "character sheet auditors"

If he's playing Hackmaster 4e then he's golden. Otherwise...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd love to see a modern Hackmaster that lampooned all the stupid industry / hobby tropes of today instead of the AD&D era.

Things like pathfinder online, limited-edition rules cards, crowdfunding-exclusive content, designers outing themselves as monsters on Twitter, basically all the hot-button topics ITT. Have rules for the perpetually-unfinished online player tools, without actually having to develop them.

Could be fun if done right, but it would probably just be a springboard for yelling about 4e and cancel culture.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I just read that someone locally is selling a HOUSE as an NFT.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Chairman posted:

Original Character DO NOT STEAL!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EdsTeioh posted:

Like, a receipt for a picture of the house?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

EdsTeioh posted:

Are they also selling it as a house?

GreenMetalSun posted:

Is this a gimmick, or is this part of the story going forward? Like they find ancient tech (and it's mecha and lightsaber-katanas), or the Phyrexians invade or something?

The techonology in Kumigawa was invented by the locals. When the imperial family was broken up by the warring states period, the Futurists stopped hoarding their secrets and started collaborating, with one another and with the other races of Kamigawa. So the goblin invention of living sentient cybernetics and the moonfolk invention of infinite energy created by punching holes in the spirit realm were built on by the other races of Kamigawa. Now everyone has motorcycles, and the spirits are everywhere as basically spirit pollution.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You wouldn't download a house

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NFTs don’t have to be pictures. Before this ape nonsense people would talk about blockchain entries representing various commodities or physical goods, definitely including real estate. It’s being mapped to something discrete that makes them non-fungible, basically.

I think it’s all terrible, but I sat through a lot of such pitches when I was a VC a few years ago.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Right, the issue is that unlike say a deed, the power of the state doesn't back up the NFT. Which I guess is good if you're trying to break the law, but is less good when you're trying to establish property ownership.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ultiville posted:

Right, the issue is that unlike say a deed, the power of the state doesn't back up the NFT. Which I guess is good if you're trying to break the law, but is less good when you're trying to establish property ownership.

If the realtor is selling the deed to a house and also writing on the cloud "JIM OWNZ 348 BERKSHIRE DRIVE NO TAKESIE BACKSIES" then cool, seems a lot like offering cookies at an open house. Have fun.

I'm just worried they're only selling the NFT, and possibly don't even own the house.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm just worried they're only selling the NFT, and possibly don't even own the house.

That's only because you've been paying attention and are aware of totally justified reasons to be skeptical of this.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, it's basically just the deed that's in NFT form, but every local news outlet is "REAL ESTATE MOVING TO NFTs" or "FIRST NFT HOUSE ON THE MARKET."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ultiville posted:

Yeah, that's a mistake so many of those utopian libertarian types make: there isn't some grand metaphysical and/or transcendental method of ownership that makes a stack of signed papers more "real" or binding than a string of numbers on a computer. But there is a group of people with guns who will forcibly remove you from the property via violent means if you don't agree with their interpretation of the law, and they couldn't care less about whatever magic incantation from Black's Law Dictionary or "One Weird Trick" you think will ward them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Mystic Mongol posted:

If the realtor is selling the deed to a house and also writing on the cloud "JIM OWNZ 348 BERKSHIRE DRIVE NO TAKESIE BACKSIES" then cool, seems a lot like offering cookies at an open house. Have fun.

Yeah, that's obviously much better, though the fact that those cookies are horribly energy wasteful by design is a bit of a bummer. Well and that it's probably a scheme to increase the value of the deed.

But still better than the option where it's a complete scam in toto rather than just the NFT part being a scam, agreed.