Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The worst metaprogression is when one of the upgrade options is a bonus to whatever currency you use to buy upgrades. So boring efficiency demands that you max that one out first, and it just feels bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ponzicar posted:

The worst metaprogression is when one of the upgrade options is a bonus to whatever currency you use to buy upgrades. So boring efficiency demands that you max that one out first, and it just feels bad.

Not just metaprogression.
Every time an RPG (or any game with RPG elements, which is very common now) has a "gain x% more currency/xp" upgrade I just roll my loving eyes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know what i've recently encountered in red dead 2 is finding out some legendary animal trinket rewards are ones that provide bonuses to experience gain, approximately 27 years after i've gained enough experience to max out every stat

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
% xp gains are sometimes really good but also sometimes really useless. A lot of games have exponential exp curves so having "100% more exp" just means you will forever be 2-3 levels above the guy with 0% exp bonus, meanwhile you might have even spent more than 3 levels worth of perks to boost it up.

It's even worse if it's a game where enemies in later levels/stages give way more xp than ones in earlier stages, so your %xp bonus basically doesn't matter at all and your level is mostly just dependent on your progress through the story.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like supergiant's core ideology of not just bespoke difficulty settings customizable to the taste of the player but exp/money scaling based on how much the player decides to turn on to provide a risk/reward incentive

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
XP gain perks/skills are really funny in games with level caps to the point where the perk is totally worthless.

the classic one is the Fallout 1/2 (and i think Fallout 3) one where a perk was straight up like, "gain 1 level". literally just throwing a perk away.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Trying to decide if the level up perk was funnier in Fallout 1/2 where you got a perk every 3 levels so throwing one away was seriously bad, or Fallout 3 where you got one every level meaning all that happened was that you got the level up and perk screen again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Foregone is a whole $5 and I recall hearing some anticipation about it in this thread, but then there was basically silence afterwards. Did anyone play it? Any good?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

i like supergiant's core ideology of not just bespoke difficulty settings customizable to the taste of the player but exp/money scaling based on how much the player decides to turn on to provide a risk/reward incentive

I don't think that's really a core thing for them. Bastion does it but Hades doesn't really. (No clue about Transistor or Pyre).

In Hades you have a specific predetermined reward and a specific difficulty/heat target to get it. The customizable difficulty comes in in the sense that you can turn any 5 mods you want on to reach heat level 5 to earn that next titan blood, but there's no choice of risk/reward. Cranking the difficulty up won't give you any extra rewards (you have to get the Heat 5 rewards before you can get the Heat 6 ones), and turning it down below the threshold won't give the rewards at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GrandpaPants posted:

Foregone is a whole $5 and I recall hearing some anticipation about it in this thread, but then there was basically silence afterwards. Did anyone play it? Any good?

It's fun, if a little short. I think I beat the entire campaign in around 5-6 hours. Combat wise it plays a lot like Dead Cells if Dead Cells was a mostly linear action platformer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've seen a few things do stuff like that, oldest I can remember is The World Ends With You where you can adjust your level down for bonus item drop multipliers, which is how they made drop farming manageable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't think that's really a core thing for them. Bastion does it but Hades doesn't really. (No clue about Transistor or Pyre).

In Hades you have a specific predetermined reward and a specific difficulty/heat target to get it. The customizable difficulty comes in in the sense that you can turn any 5 mods you want on to reach heat level 5 to earn that next titan blood, but there's no choice of risk/reward. Cranking the difficulty up won't give you any extra rewards (you have to get the Heat 5 rewards before you can get the Heat 6 ones), and turning it down below the threshold won't give the rewards at all.

bastion, transistor, and pyre all do it (in fact, the systems in each of them are practically identical). hades does it, but as you pointed out there's no "scaling" in that specific case.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also kind of silly to comment on what's a core thing for them when they've released 4 games total and you haven't played 2 of them

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

XP gain perks/skills are really funny in games with level caps to the point where the perk is totally worthless.

the classic one is the Fallout 1/2 (and i think Fallout 3) one where a perk was straight up like, "gain 1 level". literally just throwing a perk away.

Battle Brothers is the one game I've seen that does it right. If you pick the xp bonus perk, the character gets an extra perk once they reach the level cap.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

precision posted:

is there a Gnosia thread and if not, may i please and thank you get some general non spoiler type hints for what i should be "doing" once i get to what i assume is the "main part" of the game where i can set the parameters for each loop TIA

Survive a loop together with your buddy and you'll get it.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

precision posted:

is there a Gnosia thread and if not, may i please and thank you get some general non spoiler type hints for what i should be "doing" once i get to what i assume is the "main part" of the game where i can set the parameters for each loop TIA

Yes, and also there's an index thread for this purpose.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962742

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh poo poo, I almost missed that theres a whole second game included in the great ace attorney chronicles, almost uninstalled lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh poo poo, I almost missed that theres a whole second game included in the great ace attorney chronicles, almost uninstalled lol

The whole thing is basically one huge game, lol. also the second part is the best by a good margin so that would have been unfortunate

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

% xp gains are sometimes really good but also sometimes really useless. A lot of games have exponential exp curves so having "100% more exp" just means you will forever be 2-3 levels above the guy with 0% exp bonus, meanwhile you might have even spent more than 3 levels worth of perks to boost it up.

It's even worse if it's a game where enemies in later levels/stages give way more xp than ones in earlier stages, so your %xp bonus basically doesn't matter at all and your level is mostly just dependent on your progress through the story.

Even in a game where +XP gain is "worth it" it's still poo poo if it's competing with bonuses that are actually fun, like if I have one hat that gives +15% XP and another that gives +15% critical hit chance or whatever. The decision the game is asking me to make is basically "do you think you're going to be playing this game long enough that making your character less fun to play right now will be worth making them more fun in the long run?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
xp gain is almost always the definition of a trap stat and I virtually always avoid it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

It's fun, if a little short. I think I beat the entire campaign in around 5-6 hours. Combat wise it plays a lot like Dead Cells if Dead Cells was a mostly linear action platformer.
yeah I liked it. and it is hand crafted rather than roguelite so it has the kind of map design where you unlock shortcuts a lot, and the loop of combat, exploring, unlocking shortcuts and then going back to the hub and upgrading, is satisfying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Foul Fowl posted:

dead island had a bug on release where you could press a key to enter dev-only third person mode that also made you noclip. i'm not really sure what anyone was expecting here.
that wasn't a bug - that was them accidentally publishing the developers' build on steam instead of the retail build that was distributed on disks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Foregone is good but there's limited replay value. $5 is a good price for it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The whole thing is basically one huge game, lol. also the second part is the best by a good margin so that would have been unfortunate

Oh man, susato doing all of ryonuske's courtroom mannerisms is great

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Gah I finally beat the second stage of the leggy hand golem boss in Grime with a sliver of health left and it has a third loving stage?? Fuuuuuckk yyooouuuu

Multistage bosses are a blight in gaming.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
yeah sometimes that feels like some cheap rear end poo poo. if it has three phases then separate its health bare into three pieces doesn't seem necessary to pull the bait and switch

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
All the bosses in Elden Ring are going to be multistage and I'm going to get mad every single time :cry:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Trickyblackjack posted:

All the bosses in Elden Ring are going to be multistage and I'm going to get mad every single time :cry:

I think my approach is going to be to beat them all on the first attempt and feel extremely badass

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh man, susato doing all of ryonuske's courtroom mannerisms is great

One fun thing is that the English language guys like the games a lot more than the JP guys because they were pissed that the first game basically tied up zero plot threads and was blatantly a part 1, and were mad at waiting years for the second game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any of you play that transformers tactics game transformers battlegrounds?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1177000/TRANSFORMERS_BATTLEGROUNDS/

I read that it's kinda like baby's first x-com, dunno if there's any depth to it or how it actually plays compared to x-com but that's why I am asking in here

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Trickyblackjack posted:

Gah I finally beat the second stage of the leggy hand golem boss in Grime with a sliver of health left and it has a third loving stage?? Fuuuuuckk yyooouuuu

Multistage bosses are a blight in gaming.

multistage bosses are fine, but trying to make them a fakeout where they grow another phase after their health bar is empty is just dogshit that fucks with the psychological arc of winning a difficult fight because once you've seen the devs do it once then you can't get invested in getting close to winning any future fight since you don't know whether you're actually close to winning or just to the halfway point, and when you do win, by the time you're done waiting for the other shoe to drop and know there isn't another surprise phase then the moment is over and it isn't satisfying

Trickyblackjack posted:

yeah they were obsessed with it in both dark souls 3 and sekiro so elden ring is definitely going to have multiple bosses that do it too

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i hope they do the guardian ape fake-out again

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Multi-stage bosses are cool and good but it's gotta be paced out so you aren't expecting it for the holy poo poo factor. There's a boss in Sekiro where you cut off his head and you get the "YOU WIN" popup on screen and a few seconds later once you relax your guard he gets up and picks his head off the ground ready to gently caress you up and its incredible.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm eyeing Sifu and I have a question about it:

The age mechanic is basically a limited lives mechanic, right? So from my understanding:
- If you die, you gain one age. If you die again before managing to restore it, your next death ages you up two years instead of one year. Die three times in a row and you lose 3 years on the next death, then 4 years, etc.
- Some events (minibosses?) can reduce the amount of years you will add to your age on the next death, but not reduce your age counter.
- Your stats change (I think +damage, -total health) as you pass certain age tresholds.
- You get a game over when you hit 70 years of age.

So my question is, does your age reset at some point? Let's say you finish a level at age 55, does that mean you start the next level at 55 and only have 15 years of life left? Is there a way to mitigate this? Or does it reset to like 20 or so per level?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Artelier posted:

I'm eyeing Sifu and I have a question about it:

The age mechanic is basically a limited lives mechanic, right? So from my understanding:
- If you die, you gain one age. If you die again before managing to restore it, your next death ages you up two years instead of one year. Die three times in a row and you lose 3 years on the next death, then 4 years, etc.
- Some events (minibosses?) can reduce the amount of years you will add to your age on the next death, but not reduce your age counter.
- Your stats change (I think +damage, -total health) as you pass certain age tresholds.
- You get a game over when you hit 70 years of age.

So my question is, does your age reset at some point? Let's say you finish a level at age 55, does that mean you start the next level at 55 and only have 15 years of life left? Is there a way to mitigate this? Or does it reset to like 20 or so per level?

no, it can't be mitigated. the game's a trial in getting to the end before you literally die of old age. make it through with [x] continues

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Guardian Ape was a pretty cool fakeout, Sister Friede having 3 phases was dumb as poo poo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

elden ring out yet

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
yeah

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
got you you loving fool. absolute nimrod.