Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

Starr/Devlin might be the greatest match I never want to watch again

What other matches are like that to you people? (non-Benoit answers please)

Gonna go with one for non wrestler turns out to be a monster reasons and go with Shiozaki/Fujita because the staredown is such an integral part of the match and also just thirty minutes of looking at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

I don't think I will ever need to watch Fujita vs Shiozaki from 2020 again. You know the one, that included 30 minutes of staring & Ol' Ironhead drinking hand sanitiser. It was an amazing experience at the time but there is no way that staredown can be enjoyed knowing the outcome.

There's probably quite a few 60+ minute matches I'd never want to actually sit through again that were special watching initially. Some of those dumb IWAMS Punk Hero matches were great in 2002/3 but now? Doubt it.

I think I have an unconscious statute of limitations type deal for wrestlers who did awful poo poo, because I definitely can watch Benoit matches fine now. Not necessarily a good trait but...

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 4, 2022

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

I think a lot of people would put Okada/Shibata in that category, but that might have changed with Shibata's comeback.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Joe/Necro, pretty much just for the powerslam

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Starr/Devlin match had one of the funniest strike exchanges in wrestling history.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Price Check posted:

I think a lot of people would put Okada/Shibata in that category, but that might have changed with Shibata's comeback.

Yeah that is up there for me. Such an amazing match but that headbutt just makes it hard to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The Starr/Devlin match had one of the funniest strike exchanges in wrestling history.

There was a trend in the UK and Ireland at the time to try and redo the Frye/Takayama strike exchange and it was amazingly funny every single time

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

thats what i was thinking too. Its not really a powerslam kinda a powerdriver

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

SG Bamboo posted:

long after I forget my kids' names, I will remember CM Punk laughing and shouting "How do you powerslam someone on their forehead??"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Benne posted:

i can't watch any pre pandemic japanese wrestling rn so quite a lot!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lamuella posted:

Honourable mention: I'm not too surprised that Barry Windham was in a five star match. I'm a LITTLE bit surprised he was in five of them.

You're surprised that the best wrestler in the world from 1985 to 1989 was in a lot of really good matches?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MrBling posted:

You're surprised that the best wrestler in the world from 1985 to 1989 was in a lot of really good matches?

I'm surprised that he was the best wrestler in the world during this period as my knowledge of him is largely after this and The New Blackjacks weren't putting on too many mat classics.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Are the Bushwhackers/Sheep Herders the only people to have a 5 star match and a minus 5 star match?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lamuella posted:

I'm surprised that he was the best wrestler in the world during this period as my knowledge of him is largely after this and The New Blackjacks weren't putting on too many mat classics.

Well my friend, you have some catching up to do. He had a really good series of matches with Flair.
For a guy his size, Barry moved incredibly well. Everything was so smoothly done.

First Flair match from Battle Of The Belts II a co-promoted show by NWA/JCP and Eddie Graham's Championship Wrestling From Florida.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6y1eOh3PQM

Second match:
They devote an entire episode of Worldwide Wrestling to just this one match between Flair and Windham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klUUFuPFnwo

Finally, at the second Crockett Cup in 1987 they have another 5 star match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkKAPJZqRdY

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This may be controversial, I'm surprised Luger doesn't because he was in the mix with a lot of good tag teams and singles wrestlers.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Purple Monkey posted:

Are the Bushwhackers/Sheep Herders the only people to have a 5 star match and a minus 5 star match?

I believe so. The closest another wrestler has come to both is Villano III, who had a -***** match in 2015 and a ****¾ match in 2000.

The latter match, for anyone interested (spoiler: it still loving rules):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3EZRKDkDVI

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there a reputable website selling replica and/or custom title belts? Asking for a friend. THE FRIEND IS ME, AUSTIN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lamuella posted:

Windham famously stopped giving a poo poo after the 80s so I think a lot of people have forgotten how good he was in his prime

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

He wasn't but he was really good!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lamuella posted:

He destroyed his knee in 1993 and stopped caring for the most part after that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

barry windham was really insaneo style

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
To be the best wrestler in the world you can't have a boring name like Barry. That's not a Hall of Fame name. You need a cool name like Jumbo.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there a reputable website selling replica and/or custom title belts? Asking for a friend. THE FRIEND IS ME, AUSTIN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!

Really depends on your price range and what you want a replica of.

Wildcat Belts was used by Matt Cardona for the new internet championship and offers a lot of different price options: https://wildcatbelts.com/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

To be the best wrestler in the world you can't have a boring name like Barry. That's not a Hall of Fame name. You need a cool name like Jumbo.

Barry could probably make that claim he was the best wrestler in the world around about... '89-ish or so.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

These guys appear to rule.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one thing i'll say is buy the cheapest or the most expensive tier. don't do the middle ones. they aren't worth it. i've boughtened all of them over the years for different projects

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A friend was asking around to see if anyone had this show available anywhere: https://aiwrestling.com/wordpress/2011/09/26/the-jt-lightning-memorial-show/

JT Lightning Memorial Show from September 25 or 26 (depending on which site you look at), 2011. There are links on the AIW site to buy it at Smart Mark, but they don't actually have that product listing anymore.

Anyone know where someone could get a copy of this show, physical or digital?

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 7, 2022

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I don’t understand the Ali situation - is it legal to deny an employee/contractor the right to leave a job?

Legitimately what is the worse that could happen if he showed up on dynamite this week?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

I don’t understand the Ali situation - is it legal to deny an employee/contractor the right to leave a job?

Legitimately what is the worse that could happen if he showed up on dynamite this week?

Ali sued for breach of contract and what ever penalties that comes with. AEW possibly sued for tortious interference. Would WWE win? who knows, I don't believe it's ever been put before a judge before, does Ali and AEW want to roll the dice and end up having to give money to vince? probably not.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

AEW also wouldn't want a ruling that say contracts mean dicksquat as it could effect them in the future. I mean i dunno what the wording is in either contract and clearly aew's are looser in terms of being able to take dates elsewhere.

But it's still not in their interest to be part of a well if you're unhappy you can just leave and go elsewhere legal precedence.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's probably less dicey for Ali to say, take a date for a local indy, but the problem there is while if it actually went before a judge, WWE's defining him as an IC would probably mean he's free and clear, no local indy has the resources to fight the case in court, and even if they did, WWE has the lawyers and money to make it both ruinous to fight, and an uphill battle. It's not impossible to win, as seen with CM Punk and Brock Lesnar (well, we assume Brock 'won' as the settlement seemed to be favourable to him) but you need the money and stamina to fight it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah, Brock was willing to go to court and the judge basically told WWE that they needed to come up with a really good argument or he would rule in favour of Brock.
That got a settlement going real quick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

Yeah, Brock was willing to go to court and the judge basically told WWE that they needed to come up with a really good argument or he would rule in favour of Brock.
That got a settlement going real quick.

Unfortunately for Ali, I doubt he's as well paid as Brock.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
That the US has a pays own costs system of litigation is loving insane. Everywhere else in the common law its the loser of the case has to pay the costs of the winner so there is no financial burden imposed on seeking justifiable legal action.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Generally if you lose a case yeah, you have to pay for the other guy's lawyers, but the thing is that the lawyers tend to want to be paid for in the mean time for most stuff? So if you can't afford to do that until you get reimbursed by winning, it gets dicey.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Nea posted:

Generally if you lose a case yeah, you have to pay for the other guy's lawyers, but the thing is that the lawyers tend to want to be paid for in the mean time for most stuff? So if you can't afford to do that until you get reimbursed by winning, it gets dicey.

This isn't the case, it's called the American rule, whereas everywhere else uses the English rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_rule_(attorney%27s_fees)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

This isn't the case, it's called the American rule, whereas everywhere else uses the English rule.

The confusion can come up with civil actions where if there's a financial award for damages, the winner can often pay their legal fees from that, but that's basically them using up part of their winnings to cover their costs, not the loser specifically paying said costs.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Lid posted:

Fair enough my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gaz-L posted:

The confusion can come up with civil actions where if there's a financial award for damages, the winner can often pay their legal fees from that, but that's basically them using up part of their winnings to cover their costs, not the loser specifically paying said costs.

True but the whole point of the threat is that the potential awarded is exceeded by the potential fees thus rendering the whole process pyrrhic. That Ali is reduced to being insubordinate and begging for his release rather than being able to seek legal recourse because he knows the costs may very well outweigh the benefit, not to mention if we see WWE contracts they may very well include a clause where they require you pay WWE's fees for pursuing legal action thereby double dipping (though the clause would not hold up under scrutiny if it did exist), is a state of affairs that is very much an American issue.