Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yaktrax have the "diamond?" shaped metal coils which helps if you're walking on top of compressed, icy snow or slick ice.

Microspikes have teeth that actually plunge into the surface, as said above like mini crampons.

That used to be the difference but it looks like yaktrax have started to make different, more aggressive models to compete with micro spikes.

And for comparison, these are crampons. They are mostly rigid, strap or clip into your boots, also usually meant for mountaineering boots or stiff sole hiking boots with a solid toe and or heel lip. They're much more aggressive and meant for gripping into snow, ice etc. They're heavier with very sharp points. Each tooth is about an inch long. I've never felt more secure with my footing on snow than in crampons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just need to get up poo poo like this without busting my tailbone in two. Microspikes do the job and stuff into my bag without perforating everything . :v:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
There's another options still, something like the "Yaktrax Run", which have a combination of coils and hardened metal studs, and I believe there are some that just have the studs. Which you'll want really depends entirely on your use case. I personally have crampons, microspikes, and yaktrax run. I use them for: Ice climbing, winter hiking, and winter (mostly city) running respectively.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

I did the north shore this weekend, being a nerd taking pictures of rocks with icicles on them. I've managed to survive but I really gotta get a better cold weather bag and improve my layering system for hiking. The stuff I have made it harder than it should be to mange heat (biggest issue is my outer layer can't be compressed into a bag, it's an old school parka thing).

The microspikes were possibly the best purchase I've ever made though. Feelin like Spider-Man on those trails.

I've only done one winter trip on the SHT so far this year. I love winter backpacking though, by far my favorite niche in hiking. Like you experienced you got to have a good layering system in place. Im sure this wont be new for a lot of people but this is what I use:
  • Synthetic base layers. I end up wearing through wool base layers to fast, the synthetic ones dry better and are far cheaper and durable in my experience. I usually go midweight on these for MN winters.
  • Patagonia R1 top layer with napoleon pocket. This is over my base layer. I can keep my food I am about to eat warm in the pocket along with a lighter to keep warm, phone if necessary, and possibly a headlamp if I am trying to prewarm before dark.
  • Costco eddie bauer hiking pants. Nothing fancy just a heavier weight hiking pant made out of a nylon blend. I finally have some wool hunting pants from LLBean on the way to try out this year.
  • A fleece of some midweight for a top layer. Use to be an eddie bauer goodwill find but thats wearing thin, now I have a good half zip mid weight fleece.
Wearing the above I can be snowshoeing or skiing with my pack on down to 0F or lower depending on how hard I am working at moving. I'll add in for accessories:
  • Wristies fleece wrist warmers.
  • Grid fleece neck gaiter.
  • Thin merino gloves.
  • Mitten system.
  • Synthetic beanie and/or fur hat as needed.
  • Fleece pants for sleeping.
  • Down jacket for stationary sits or camp.
  • Down hood for sleeping.
  • Extra thick wool socks for sleeping.
  • Down booties for sleeping.
  • Synthetic balaclava for sleeping, goes under down hood.
  • Old cabelas parka for outer layer wind protection and extra warmth.
  • Rain pants for wind/snow shell.

With things scrunched down and compressed I can get all of that in a bigger 60+ liter pack with everything else just fine.

EDIT: I left out footwear! Cold down below 15F or so I go with my Steger Mukluks. Above that I use some Vasque Snowburban boots that work great.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I got to test out some new equipment for the first time this weekend while car camping at a regional park with the wife, our 12 year old daughter and her friend.

Item 1) MSR windburner duo stove system. Used the pot at night to make ramen, and later at night to boil water for tea. What can I say, it was easy to use and was really fast. The next morning we used it to make pancakes. I was a little worried about too much of a hot spot in the center, but the pancakes cooked pretty evenly. Everyone ate them, I guess that is a win. The windburner will be used in the future for some planned multiday hikes.

Item 2) 4 person Coleman instant cabin type tent. Big, heavy but relatively cheap on CL. The "built in rainfly" was the size of a sheet of paper, so I was a little worried about condensation. My wife and I shared the tent, and it ventalated well enough. Granted we are down in Socal and there was a mild Santa Ana condition. It said you could put it up in last than a minute, and that was correct. It took me longer to find the stakes than it did to put up the tent. Also, it went a bit under 30F last night, something of a surprise. The crap $25 Costco sleeping bags that we have had for at least 10 years were just at their limit, although my face was pretty cold. The problem was solved by curling up a bit so I could fold the hood over my face, sealing myself in.

Item 3) Tesla model 3 in camp mode. The girl and her friend slept in climate controlled goodness as 68F. The rear seats fold flat and you pretty much just sleep with your feet in the trunk of the car. They said it was great. They listened to music, watched a movie are fell asleep looking at the stars through the skylight. With all of the extra storage available in the trunks of the car, we were able to pack a lot of gear, especially when it came to bedding.

A good time was had by all. We finished up by going to the visitors center on our way out and handled a couple of the resident snakes. Moleman, the Gopher snake, and Houdini, a California King snake.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Are microspikes significantly different than yaktrax? I have those already, the coil thingies with rubber toe/heel and a tarsal velcro strap...

I absolutely hate yaktrax lol. The tiny bit of compression you get each step on the coils makes me feel like I never have stable footing.

I picked up a pair of these BOA closure spikes from LL Bean, and goddamn they're so much nicer to get on and off than the stretchy rubber type. Yesterday I did 6 miles up and down icy slopes and across a windblown lake without a single misstep. Best outdoor gear purchase I've made since my osprey pack.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'll use YakTrax for walking the dog and thats about it. Usually break one pair a year. I would never take them on a winter backpacking trip though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
The Yaktrax diamond grip, which are a bunch of spiky metal beads that can spin around a metal cable, have been great for me. We've used them on tons of winter hikes, including hiking on sheets of ice in Zion in winter. They're only so-so on snow, though, as they can't really dig in deep.

Having said that I got some Kahtoola microspikes and they are objectively better. My only concern (possibly irrational) is breaking a spike on trails that are a mix of ice and bare rock.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

incogneato posted:

Having said that I got some Kahtoola microspikes and they are objectively better. My only concern (possibly irrational) is breaking a spike on trails that are a mix of ice and bare rock.

I've yet to have a spike break. What has happened is the rubber getting caught on something, me not realizing it, and ripping the chain through the rubber hole it runs through. I've only had that happen twice in over 10 years and I was able to jury rig it with some cordage both times to finish a trip at least.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

incogneato posted:

The Yaktrax diamond grip, which are a bunch of spiky metal beads that can spin around a metal cable, have been great for me. We've used them on tons of winter hikes, including hiking on sheets of ice in Zion in winter. They're only so-so on snow, though, as they can't really dig in deep.

I've had the same pair of microspikes since 2015 and they are fine. I've probably put as many rock miles on them as ice/snow. Honestly I don't see how one of the spikes could break. They are short and stubby, not very thin, and made out of steel. I'm sure mine are a bit worn compared to when they were new, but they work just as well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

incogneato posted:

Yeah I've been pretty happy with the yaktrax diamond grips. I got them originally for icy urban walking while carrying a baby, but I've used them for some hilly hikes through icy snow too. They have served me well in both. Importantly for urban use, they can also be stuffed into a bag while inside, without damaging anything.

For legit mountaineering though obviously only real crampons will do

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'd trust Yaktrax for general stuff around the house/neighborhood in snow and ice. But when it comes to any sort of technical terrain where a slip could become quite problematic, I'm going with microspikes or better.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My MIL has been some yaktrax for use in icy conditions an seems to get around just fine. Then again, she's not going hiking due to only having a one leg.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Boot chat!

I’m planning a 10-ish day Switzerland backpack for this Summer and I want to upgrade my footwear for it. I typically hike in Merrell Moab 2 vented lows and I want something mid and Gore-Tex for this trip.

If my Moab’s are like my favorite fitting hiking shoe ever, should I just go with the mid GTX version of the same shoe or splurge on something a hundred bucks more? I love the brand but the fact that their boots are only 140 bucks has me questioning if there’s something miles better.

Edit: to specify, I mentioned mid specifically but can go higher if a full boot is noticeably more stable.

Edit2: internet seems to love the Salomon Quest 4 boots. Anyone have thoughts?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 15, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have both Moabs and Salomon Quests. The latter feels nicer for a variety of reasons, but as your own experience shows, boots don't have to be fancy to be good. I still prefer my affordable trail running shoes on warm/dry trips, but I'm thankful for my good Salomons when I need them.

Do you expect to need the goretex? My feet get hot and sweat and are prone to blisters in goretex when it's warm.

And as far as support goes, I've never had issues either way. I'd go with the lower option if I wasn't expecting to need to wade through muck or snow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There’s gonna be snow, ice and maybe rain here and there. Im also the least sweaty person I know. If I’m wearing wool I won’t get soaked. I think hiking in the desert for years fried my brain or something.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've had both, even the goretex moabs. I think moabs are more comfortable for walking and just in general but the salmons are more rugged and feel more well protected. The moabs low ankle height means you're constantly getting debris in your socks and you can still roll an ankle. The salomons are higher which helps with debris and a little more ankle protection but not much. The toe on the salomons feels much more robust. It's a big piece of rubber vs the little lip on moabs. I loved the vibram soles on the moabs. I've learned to really like and trust vibram rubber as it's really grippy. I realize vibram is vague as they have many varieties but ive not had as much luck with a lot of brands proprietary rubber. The salomons don't give me as much confidence. The soles feel harder and tend to lack the feel of the moabs. The waterproofing on the moabs wasnt great either. Even with an internal liner, the outer boot still got wet and eventually it would get in. Overall the salomons feel more like a boot whereas the moabs more like a shoe. I would pick the salomons for anything in snow/rocks and the moabs (non waterproof) for desert/mild weather.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Yeah the most important part about shoes is that they fit your feet well. The best boot in the world is useless if you're not at ease. Best thing is to try them both out and keep the one you prefer.
Also, be aware that Salomon shoes are often narrow in the toe box.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I felt that y'all should be informed.

REI corporate is fighting a unionization drive at their SoHo store.

https://jacobinmag.com/2022/02/rei-union-busting-podcast-land-acknowledgment-liberals/

board@rei.com is where to send the angry emails.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s what I get for letting myself like a company.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Rolo posted:

That’s what I get for letting myself like a company.

Same :sigh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no company you should "like," they're all capitalists and all they really care about is more money, even a co-op.

I buy stuff from places that have good products and for outdoor gear REI does the best at that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The best you can do is to buy as little as possible, and preferably secondhand, surplus or very good quality that will last for a long time before you need to replace it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The wild thing about REI union busting is that because they’re a co-op they have no obligation to maximize dividends like companies with shareholders do. They’re just doing this to be dicks.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

xzzy posted:

I buy stuff from places that have good products and for outdoor gear REI does the best at that.

No it doesn't. It just has sales and a good return policy. Year after year their stuff gets flimsier and their brands get sent overseas and morphed into yuppie jogging fashion

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

REI still makes really good basic gear with their name brand stuff. Packs, bags, tents, etc are all perfectly fine and usually a good value.

The whole outdoor industry aesthetic has morphed from army surplus to yuppie jogging fashion in your words but thats been a thing for 10+ years now easily.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The only thing keeping me shopping at rei is the return policy and the ability to occasionally try things in the store. Even then with this union bullshit I will definitely steer clear for a while.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

The wild thing about REI union busting is that because they’re a co-op they have no obligation to maximize dividends like companies with shareholders do. They’re just doing this to be dicks.

something something exploitative dynamics of economic systems transcend capitalism something something human beings unfit to organize themselves

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Internet Wizard posted:

The truly wild thing is that co-op members vote for the board, so Eric Artz's job could be on the line if enough members speak out in favor of the union.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

The truly wild thing is that co-op members vote for the board, so Eric Artz's job could be on the line.

I was thinking the same thing. They could just all get voted out as their seats come up.

Of course maybe they choose to not send out a mailer with candidate info like they have in the past.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do members go about transmitting a middle finger to the decision-makers, aside from quitting?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

withak posted:

How do members go about transmitting a middle finger to the decision-makers, aside from quitting?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

board@rei.com is where to send the angry emails.

I included my member ID, how many years I've been a member, that my closest REI is the SOHO store, and that I'd be proud to shop at a union REI.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
How are the Merrel Moab Speed GTX? Thinking of copping some for light to medium hikes as well as rainy days around the city

Sweaty feet? grip on dry leaves?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

How are the Merrel Moab Speed GTX? Thinking of copping some for light to medium hikes as well as rainy days around the city

Sweaty feet? grip on dry leaves?

I was wondering about these too!

Also, has anyone tried injinji toe socks? I was thinking of getting some because my two leftmost toes are prone to blistering.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I was wondering about these too!

Also, has anyone tried injinji toe socks? I was thinking of getting some because my two leftmost toes are prone to blistering.

We love those in the running thread! Definitely pick some up.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

on the topic of boots - I presently hike exclusively in trail runners, and I'm a big fan of it, especially after past bad blister experiences with traditional hiking boots. However, we're hoping to do mount st helens in may. I have microspikes, but I imagine I'll still want/need something substantially more water/snowproof than trail runners?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bloody posted:

on the topic of boots - I presently hike exclusively in trail runners, and I'm a big fan of it, especially after past bad blister experiences with traditional hiking boots. However, we're hoping to do mount st helens in may. I have microspikes, but I imagine I'll still want/need something substantially more water/snowproof than trail runners?

Anything is possible, but that's kind of early season for trail runners. There will likely still be snow so gaiters and waterproof boots might be nice. Then again this year is a weird snow year so it might be mostly exposed. The thing about volcanoes, especially in dry conditions, is the dust and debris that gets into your socks. It's very different than just regular sand or dust. It causes your feet to dry and crack. It's really coarse and gritty. If your feet get wet and gritty, that's a recipe for disaster. Gaiters and waterproof boots go a long way to prevent that.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bloody posted:

When I did Shasta I just rented boots and crampons from a local outfitter. Something to consider for one-off trips.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now I’m looking for a protective way to check a 60L backpack. I was going to just get the pack duffel from REI but it’s way bigger and heavier packed than I thought it would be and I don’t want to carry it an entire trip.

Anyone just say gently caress it or make a few extremely wasteful passes with packing material? Or is there a product I’m unaware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wouldn't it be simpler just to rent a pack once you're there? I've wondered about trips like yours before and how to handle the gear. It seems like you could fit a large backpack inside your suitcase as well.