Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nearly one hour walkthrough of this weekend's Wonder Festival. May have some NWS items in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ZZEf8wvWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks for the info everyone, not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not...

and I was just looking for Wonderfest vids last night laying in bed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's a very general walk through with very little stopping and looking at individual booths but it's still neat. It's eerie just how empty it is compared to previous years (expectedly).

Sunguts in the background at 40 minutes is one of the only sofubi makers I was able to see.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Holy poo poo that Asshimar cosplay

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sunguts in the background at 40 minutes is one of the only sofubi makers I was able to see.

Ahh, bummer. Sofubi is mostly what I was looking for. Should still be a fun watch, because man do I miss going to toyshows / cons.

I've been living vicariously through Youtube for way too long.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Holy poo poo that Asshimar cosplay

I follow him on twitter but forget his handle. Next time I see it I'll link it here- he's part of a group that does Mobile Suit/Armor cosplays. The Ashimar's head even has an animated screen for the mono-eye, including the bit where it gets hit by the scatter shot and the backup mono eyes pop up.

Other suits in the group include a Hammurabi and iirc someone is working on a Bound Doc rn.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 7, 2022

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Tom_Jurassic/status/1490704267459633161?s=20&t=FPkH4Q8qpeo4aDLznDwN2A

Mattel kinda sucks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Found the Asshimar cosplayer- looks like the Hammurabi was there as well.

https://twitter.com/laplace0920/status/1490477523523686402?s=20&t=RjeaQKtyBT3tCeWzrciVOw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That owns so much. drat, I need to get to a Wonfes one of these days.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

What the gently caress Mattel?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

all he did was post videos of toys he bought *at retail*

Mattel's issue is that they hadn't been officially revealed yet

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

So, it’s pretty much the same thing as someone getting an early copy of a video game, and getting their streaks slapped down?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Early copies of a video game are usually sold illicitly.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I imagine part of a game’s license agreement says something about early footage or something similar. Toy dinosaurs don’t to my knowledge.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Sounds like Mattel should get their distribution under control and align announcements when things are out there instead of dumping on a random toy reviewer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They did it to another one too. Both Jurassic Park vloggers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mattel has never cared about vloggers posting videos of toys early in the past. I'd bet good money this originated at Universal.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm sure this is the work of some dumbass Mattel legal department with nothing better to do, and not a decision made by actual, like, toymakers... But they should absolutely do something to fix this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder how toy thief PrimevsPrime feels.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Mattel has never cared about vloggers posting videos of toys early in the past. I'd bet good money this originated at Universal.

Yeah. Sounds like the early reveal of the toy is spoiling something from the movie. Universal is probably putting pressure on their licensees to keep that sort of thing buttoned up.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hope I got :10bux:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah. Sounds like the early reveal of the toy is spoiling something from the movie. Universal is probably putting pressure on their licensees to keep that sort of thing buttoned up.

How can toy dinosaurs spoil a Jurassic Park movie? We know there's gonna be dinosaurs in it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

One of the dinos has a voice chip that says “I ate Chris pratt’s head! It was yummy!”

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Joe Fisto posted:

One of the dinos has a voice chip that says “I ate Chris pratt’s head! It was empty!”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God could you imagine if Hasbro did this poo poo?

Even ignoring the no joke actual toy thieves, you also just have all the people who get their merch legally and officially that just haven't been revealed or promoted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Toy thieves?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
People who get toys way early via unscrupulous means, often smuggled or stolen from the factory and sometimes unfinished in order to be the first to have them/make content about them. A good example would be Transformers Masterpiece Cliffjumper, which had a test shot leaked in August, a coloured sample later that month and more copies leaking over the next few months and it still hasn't been announced or had a listing leaked yet. No way those figures were obtained legally (or without someone seriously risking their job over internet clout)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

How can toy dinosaurs spoil a Jurassic Park movie? We know there's gonna be dinosaurs in it.

The particular dinosaur’s appearance was meant to be a surprise?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Open Marriage Night posted:

The particular dinosaur’s appearance was meant to be a surprise?

The only dinosaurs that the audience has a pre-existing connection to from the Jurassic Park franchise are the t-rex and the raptor. And no one would be surprised if they show up. Every Jurassic Park has had a different slate of dinosaurs, so it's not like a new one showing up in the new one would be a surprise. And most people don't even know any dinosaur species outside the ones that have already been in Jurassic Park. This isn't a Marvel movie, where people genuinely would be surprised if the New Warriors show up in the last act of Ant-Man 3.

If a Sharovipteryx showed up in the new Jurassic Park people would be like, that's neat. They wouldn't be like, HOLY poo poo A SHAROVIPTERYX, I NEVER THOUGHT IN A MILLION YEARS THEY'D PUT A SHAROVIPTERYX IN JURASSIC PARK!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It could be a toy that revealed a secret cameo of a human character from a previous movie? I could see them getting pissy about that.

With dinosaurs it's been standard practice since the Kenner days to make toys of ones that weren't in the movie, as long as they look cool, so if they actually did a surprise Sharovipteryx toy, it wouldn't necessarily mean anything. Even if it was a big reveal in the new movie, they end up giving more away by throwing a poo poo-fit about it than if they had ignored it. If it was just a toy people would go whatever, they made a toy of this random-rear end thing, but if they declare that toy to be a closely-guarded secret, suddenly people are looking into it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The last two Jurassic World movies had special super dinosaurs so the reveal of the new ones could be a thing they want to hide.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are valid reasons to want to conceal merchandise.

None of them justifies having the guy’s channel banned though.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, its stupid to ban the channel instead of ignoring it or offering the guy something to hype the movie on the promotion schedule but movie studios are horrible about anyone getting in the way of The Marketing Plan and The Brand.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It could be a toy that revealed a secret cameo of a human character from a previous movie? I could see them getting pissy about that.

Shiroc posted:

The last two Jurassic World movies had special super dinosaurs so the reveal of the new ones could be a thing they want to hide.

I looked it up on Google, it's all real dinosaurs. No Sharovipteryx, because they're loving cowards, but all just regular real life dinosaurs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
youtube's takedown rules are poo poo through and through, Totally Not Mark recently got just deluged with takedowns, over 150 of them iirc, from Toei Animation for his reviews. Some of which did not include a single piece of their content, but they claimed them anyways and exploited the algorithm. Eventually TNM managed to work something out and got most of his stuff restored. I dunno if this guy is in the same sort of situation, though.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Gripweed posted:

I looked it up on Google, it's all real dinosaurs. No Sharovipteryx, because they're loving cowards, but all just regular real life dinosaurs

The best parts of the last two movies were when they were being impossibly loving stupid so I hope that there are reveals of weird super dinosaurs later on.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how toy thief PrimevsPrime feels.

Xenomrph posted:

Toy thieves?

Curious as well here

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shiroc posted:

The best parts of the last two movies were when they were being impossibly loving stupid so I hope that there are reveals of weird super dinosaurs later on.

Those were the laziest, shittiest super dinosaurs I've ever seen. If you're gonna have dinosaur hybrids in your movie, I want a T-rex with Triceratops horns and a thagomizer. I want an Ankylosaurus that can roll into a ball and bounce around. I want a giant flying Pachycephalosaurus smashing through high-rise buildings. Instead they gave us a bumpy t-rex. loving pathetic.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
And that bumpy T-Rex had a conversation with a Raptor pack and immediately got them to switch sides against the humans in one of the funniest moments in a blockbuster actiony movie I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

There are valid reasons to want to conceal merchandise.

None of them justifies having the guy’s channel banned though.

True, but corporations don't give a gently caress about anybody.