Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'm just curious as to how they could think it's a good idea to do any of this stuff, it's so embarrassing to even see the clips of it on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Slamhound posted:

If we switch to a bug-based diet, what happens during Lent? Only eat spiders?

after we convert to bug-based diet everyone will convert to judaism so you won't have to worry about it

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Slamhound posted:

Spiders are still bugs, they're just not insects

On this there can be no compromise

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

oh hey this is the pop culture thread isn't it

loling at the idea of someone kramering in here just to discuss eating bugs

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
imagine i edited this to put mark hamill's face on it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
are worms bugs tho?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

yea they're my go-to for mainstream 'I can find this at pretty much any grocery store' brand, they don't try super hard to make it taste like the meat but they go for the texture more than anything and I really like that approach more. Like their meatless chicken nugs don't really taste super 'chickeny' but they feel just like any other frozen nug and that's good as hell to make up for it.

If you don't care about the meat taste you can freeze and thaw tofu to create a chicken like texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_yPALDvos

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

grate deceiver posted:

are worms bugs tho?

gently caress no

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I haven't watched any star wars poo poo since episode 8, what's the CGI zombie young Luke doing in that TV show with baby Yoda, I thought he got old and died

Someone give me like a three sentence plot summary here pls I want to understand what everyone's talking about on the internet but don't want to watch star wars

hes building a new jedi academy with adult asohka. he does lots of backflips with baby yoda in the same baby carrier as boomer yoda (except this trains the yoda somehow, instead of vice versa) and repeats many of the same classic yoda lines but with correct grammar. mandalorian shows up in a rodded out naboo starfighter and leaves after dropping off a chainmail baby onesie. luke brandishes yoda's old lightsaber at baby yoda, im assuming the galactic senate has inattentive janitors and luke went on an open house visit at some point

the luke cgi looks better than mandalorian s2 finale but is still very noticable. they use an ai-generated voice for luke that sounds like luke just got back from a dentist appointment/root canal

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Feb 7, 2022

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I haven't watched any star wars poo poo since episode 8, what's the CGI zombie young Luke doing in that TV show with baby Yoda, I thought he got old and died

Someone give me like a three sentence plot summary here pls I want to understand what everyone's talking about on the internet but don't want to watch star wars

The new batch of Disney tv shows take place right after return of the Jedi, so Luke supposed to be that age. They created an unholy hologram man to play Luke with, I poo poo you not, AI generated and voiced dialogue so they wouldn’t have to pay mark hammil for voice acting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

the year is 2005, veganbros try to convince me to eat a "nutmeal burger" at a locally famous vegan restaurant, it's gross as gently caress and tastes like bullshit. everybody else seems to love it. i'm confused, "are they lying? it doesn't really taste good does it?"

every time i think about veganism, i think about this surreal moment.

Vegans love to gaslit normals.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Good lord

Someone let this character die for god's sake, his arc was done after the first fuckin movie where he busted an interstellar nut and blew up the moon

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Good lord

Someone let this character die for god's sake, his arc was done after the first fuckin movie where he busted an interstellar nut and blew up the moon

he did die but there is an infinitely divisible amount of time between the end of return of the jedi and the beginning of the force awakens :)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

I finally got around to watching Encanto since people can't stop talking about it. It's alright. Visually beautiful, but the story has a lot of problems and the songs all suck.

I was really thrown off by the backstory being set during one of the civil wars, which I thought must've been La Violencia. So the whole movie I couldn't stop thinking about how Abuelo must've been horrifically tortured before being killed (the climax implies he was merely hacked to death with machetes). But I'm looking into reviews and reactions to it, and a lot of people think it's actually set during the 1000 Days War. But, if that's the case and the story is set 50 years on from the past, that means La Violencia is going on beyond the mountains of Encanto.

The movie gives homage to 100 Years of Solitude over and over again, to the point that this clearly ends up just being a Disneyfied adaptation of the book. Several characters overlap too closely to characters from the book, like all the parallels between Bruno and José Arcadio Buendía's madness & ostracization from his own family. All of these homages are superficial, though. It's a reactionary fantasy about the Buendias getting a clue and resolving the problems within their own dynasty. But being a family drama is all this is really about. At the end of the movie everything returns to status quo ante, and the only lives that are improved are those of the patrician manor lords.

At the end of the novel, generations of catastrophe, egoism, and incest have ruined the Buendia bloodline - to the point that the town of Macondo itself collapses. Are we supposed to assume that there won't be any more Brunos & Mirabells, that there won't be another reactionary matriarch like Abuela? If we accept the story at face value then it's fine as a family drama, but all of the historical and literary context paints a much darker picture. Encanto is its own world magically cloistered off from the outside. The active genocide perpetrated beyond their purview can't possibly pervert the utopic hacienda system as it's presented.

The more I think about it the more I have to conclude that this is the most insidious and reactionary work ever produced by Disney. It's magical realist fantasy where the aristocrats win in the face of reality.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Feb 7, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Vegans love to gaslit normals.

Good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you don't care about the meat taste you can freeze and thaw tofu to create a chicken like texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_yPALDvos

oooh this sounds neat, I may have to try this soon

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I'm just curious as to how they could think it's a good idea to do any of this stuff, it's so embarrassing to even see the clips of it on Twitter

did you ever hear about that one time where RDJ and Chris Evans threatened to walk off the set of Avengers 2 if Disney didn’t start paying the B and C tier actors more money? they’re basically trying to remove any possibility of that ever happening again

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I finally got around to watching Encanto since people can't stop talking about it. It's alright. Visually beautiful, but the story has a lot of problems and the songs all suck.

I was really thrown off by the backstory being set during one of the civil wars, which I thought must've been La Violencia. So the whole movie I couldn't stop thinking about how Abuelo must've been horrifically tortured before being killed (the climax implies he was merely hacked to death with machetes). But I'm looking into reviews and reactions to it, and a lot of people think it's actually set during the 1000 Days War. But, if that's the case and the story is set 50 years on from the past, that means La Violencia is going on beyond the mountains of Encanto.

The movie gives homage to 100 Years of Solitude over and over again, to the point that this clearly ends up just being a Disneyfied adaptation of the book. Several characters overlap too closely to characters from the book, like all the parallels between Bruno and José Arcadio Buendía's madness & ostracization from his own family. All of these homages are superficial, though. It's a reactionary fantasy about the Buendias getting a clue and resolving the problems within their own dynasty. But being a family drama is all this is really about. At the end of the movie everything returns to status quo ante, and the only lives that are improved are those of the patrician manor lords.

At the end of the novel, generations of catastrophe, egoism, and incest have ruined the Buendia bloodline - to the point that the town of Macondo itself collapses. Are we supposed to assume that there won't be any more Brunos & Mirabells, that there won't be another reactionary matriarch like Abuela? If we accept the story at face value then it's fine as a family drama, but all of the historical and literary context paints a much darker picture. Encanto is its own world magically cloistered off from the outside. The active genocide perpetrated beyond their purview can't possibly pervert the utopic hacienda system as it's presented.

The more I think about it the more I have to conclude that this is the most insidious and reactionary work ever produced by Disney. It's magical realist fantasy where the aristocrats win in the face of reality.

when someone upthread made a joke about encanto being similar to eternals i didnt realize this also extended to including references to real life historical events that involved people being horribly murdered

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

hes building a new jedi academy with adult asohka. he does lots of backflips with baby yoda in the same baby carrier as boomer yoda (except this trains the yoda somehow, instead of vice versa) and repeats many of the same classic yoda lines but with correct grammar. mandalorian shows up in a rodded out naboo starfighter and leaves after dropping off a chainmail baby onesie. luke brandishes yoda's old lightsaber at baby yoda, im assuming the galactic senate has inattentive janitors and luke went on an open house visit at some point

the luke cgi looks better than mandalorian s2 finale but is still very noticable. they use an ai-generated voice for luke that sounds like luke just got back from a dentist appointment/root canal

this poo poo sucks

the best thing about the mandalorian was that it bothered exploring parts of the universe that had nothing to do with luke skywalker, now all of a sudden it's just the luke skywalker show again? it's supposed to be a whole bigass galaxy with trillions of people in it and yet somehow everyone in the galaxy is constantly running into luke skywalker

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

when someone upthread made a joke about encanto being similar to eternals i didnt realize this also extended to including references to real life historical events that involved people being horribly murdered

They very easily could have avoided all of those dark implications by not showing the historical context. They could've left the cause of the refugees completely vague. For all the audience knows it could've been a natural disaster that destroyed their homes, and grandpa drowned in the river. Maybe it's still a reactionary fantasy, but it's one that imagines a perfect world for all the beautiful things about Colombian culture where everyone's problems are ultimately trivial.

But they did allude to real life atrocity, and they alluded to the novel that deals directly with that history of trauma and conflict. It's way way way more hosed up than it should have been.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

this poo poo sucks

the best thing about the mandalorian was that it bothered exploring parts of the universe that had nothing to do with luke skywalker, now all of a sudden it's just the luke skywalker show again? it's supposed to be a whole bigass galaxy with trillions of people in it and yet somehow everyone in the galaxy is constantly running into luke skywalker

Also the Mandalorian avoided all the cheesy whiny space jedi and "Trust the force!" poo poo to essentially make a space Spaghetti western.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

vyelkin posted:

this poo poo sucks

It's even worse than that; this. was in The Book of Boba Fett, not The Mandalorian so it's like a poo poo turducken. BoBF sucked so they brought in Mando and then pushed him aside for Luke.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Current canon: Han Solo is born on Corellia at the same time the events of Phantom Menace are happening

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Han Solo is Sebulba's child out of wedlock

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I tried to watch the horny nun movie but the version I got has no subtitles

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Slamhound posted:

It's even worse than that; this. was in The Book of Boba Fett, not The Mandalorian so it's like a poo poo turducken. BoBF sucked so they brought in Mando and then pushed him aside for Luke.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Poop Culture] Me: [leaning over and whispering to girlfriend] That's Luke Skywalker.

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Question apropos of nothing: why does there seem to be a huge uptick in Van Gough stuff recently? There have been so many “Immersive Van Gough experiences” popping up that apparently they have dedicated customer support lines for people buying tickets to the wrong one. Is there genuine public interest that capital is sucking dry like a leech, or was it some weird copyright thing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slamhound posted:

iirc the no meat rule was formalized when red meat was a luxury if you were poor so really it'll just be a return to tradition

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DCorso1999/status/1490585890191675396?s=20&t=V6eXBNBwqN8CpVcCBywAAQ
Matt Dillon or Nic Cage in the Bruce Willis role would have been better.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

its because the people pushing bug-eating aren’t planning to do so themselves, they just want to force it onto lower class people as poverty food so they can continue the massively wasteful and consumptive diets they follow a little bit longer. The objection is mainly to “bugs for thee, not for me”

the soylent guys loving love that poo poo idk why the bug guys would be different

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/DCorso1999/status/1490585890191675396?s=20&t=V6eXBNBwqN8CpVcCBywAAQ
Matt Dillon or Nic Cage in the Bruce Willis role would have been better.

It should have Gary Goldman even in the female roles

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

to be fair, real duck isn't that great either

duck's good, much easier to gently caress up the cooking than most of the other birds tho

pogi posted:

Question apropos of nothing: why does there seem to be a huge uptick in Van Gough stuff recently? There have been so many “Immersive Van Gough experiences” popping up that apparently they have dedicated customer support lines for people buying tickets to the wrong one. Is there genuine public interest that capital is sucking dry like a leech, or was it some weird copyright thing?

everyone's trying to make immersive experiences work and it's both a proven ticket-seller and copyright-free

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

josh04 posted:

duck's good, much easier to gently caress up the cooking than most of the other birds tho

everyone's trying to make immersive experiences work and it's both a proven ticket-seller and copyright-free

I was wondering why Van Gough specifically, but tbh it seems to be that it’s vivid, yet recognizable, enough to be an Instagram flex lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pogi posted:

I was wondering why Van Gough specifically, but tbh it seems to be that it’s vivid, yet recognizable, enough to be an Instagram flex lmao

Van Gogh is famous enough for normies to pretend to be into him, and he's like catnip to artists who all imagine themselves to be tortured geniuses unappreciated in their own time.

I don't mean to sound too cynical here. There's a lot of very touching and experimental tributes to Van Gogh out there.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
perfect WhiteWomanInstagram fodder

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a movie for babies OP

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's a movie for babies OP

Yeah well my niece is 3 years old and she's not that into it. :smug:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had a good time and learned some things at the Van Gogh thing, but it's not worth the money. Go to an actual museum instead.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jackie Chan is a loving legend
if you like behind the scenes stuff check out his "My Stunts" documentary because it goes into tons of detail of how he composed his shots and the flow of his fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

etalian posted:

Also the Mandalorian avoided all the cheesy whiny space jedi and "Trust the force!" poo poo to essentially make a space Spaghetti western.
they filmed them in (Space) Italy?