Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/TomCostantino/status/1490030089026904068

A look at the full-scale prop of the new shuttle. It's very sleek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://twitter.com/TomCostantino/status/1490030089026904068

A look at the full-scale prop of the new shuttle. It's very sleek.

It’s a little weird to see something so angular as support craft for an otherwise very curvy starship, but literally anything is better than that old shuttle design :barf:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's utterly insane to me that they would be doing this much new design work if this was going to be a final season.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I'm putting my money on a spin-off

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I'm putting my money on a spin-off

Newton did leave to go build space stations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should call the spin-off The Moreville

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They should make the spin-off a prequel series about Isaac's exciting sibling.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tom Guycot posted:

They should make the spin-off a prequel series about Isaac's exciting sibling.

That's how you ruin Part 3: The Kaylon War by making the evil robots that murdered their creators sympathetic as a whole instead of rare exceptions.

Also shuttle redesign can make perfect sense in universe they are now at war they have new needs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are we meant to fight a war without EDGES!?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In war the edges are on your seat, and you're on them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Something about shield generators and using more power but being more compact with angles instead of being a perfect sphere or regional overlap. Old design was about protection from the predictable elements and saving power. Very easy to find an in universe reason. The old ones looked like poo poo. You are also way more likely to lose power in combat and need to attempt to make a safe crash landing, we already saw how poorly the old ones handled that, they split in half.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pixaal posted:

Something about shield generators and using more power but being more compact with angles instead of being a perfect sphere or regional overlap. Old design was about protection from the predictable elements and saving power. Very easy to find an in universe reason. The old ones looked like poo poo. You are also way more likely to lose power in combat and need to attempt to make a safe crash landing, we already saw how poorly the old ones handled that, they split in half.

The old shuttles are a very peacetime design - They're likely built to handle a wide range of elements and get from Point A to Point B, but in a stand-up fight they're flying coffins. The new ones look like they're designed to have more fighter-like evasive abilities (if not actually able to serve a fighter or gunship role if needed with the visible weapon ports), as well as have better natural atmospheric maneuverability rather than just gently caress-you brute-forced anti-grav.

The best description I saw of the old ones was that they're flying rubber ducks, and I can't shake that mental image of them now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The old ones were made for if you have to pee two or three times a night. The new ones were made for if you have to pee once a year.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CPColin posted:

They should call the spin-off The Moreville

Andville and Xorville.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I like the design of the new ones in isolation but it doesn't seem like they share the same design language as other union ships, which the old shuttles at least did.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

pixaal posted:

You are also way more likely to lose power in combat and need to attempt to make a safe crash landing, we already saw how poorly the old ones handled that, they split in half.

Didn't it only do that after it hit a mountain while falling out of orbit?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The Lord Bude posted:

I like the design of the new ones in isolation but it doesn't seem like they share the same design language as other union ships, which the old shuttles at least did.

Different times, different design needs. The Union has run into a lot of dangerous poo poo out there, and redesigning and building new shuttles is a lot easier and faster than replacing the entirety of your fleet. I like that it stands out a bit, shows that the Union isn't too tradition bound to change.

Besides, they still have the old ones. Maybe they'll bust one out for a science mission or a long term ride where they need more space and don't expect any danger.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That trailer very much continued The Orville production theming of 'we spent $5m on VFX and $20 on the physical sets'. It's charming in its own way.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like how the ship's elevator clearly looks like it's part of the vehicle and not off in it's own weird subspace dimension where it lives with hundreds of other elevators

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tighclops posted:

I like how the ship's elevator clearly looks like it's part of the vehicle and not off in it's own weird subspace dimension where it lives with hundreds of other elevators

What are you talking about?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a fantastic Blade Runner/Doctor Who crossover, but it ain't no Star Trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and since one of the folks responsible for making that sequence is a goon I want to reiterate to them that the actual effects are great

It's what they asked you to make that is very very dumb

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh yeah there's no Michael Bay blurry shakey cam to hide the detail, you can see exactly how ridiculous the ask was.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Kurieg posted:

What are you talking about?

Star Trek V and it's nonsensical turbolift visual gag come to mind when I see this

like... I can see Shatner thinking it's hilarious to show the deck numbers flying by as a small visual gag when Spock uses the thruster boots. People in the production probably rolled their eyes, and although that scene threw cannon out the window for a brief moment to illicit a chuckle from the audience, it was a harmless scene overall.

The discovery scene feels much more deliberately intentional about it's ignorance of cannon or even common sense in Star Trek. I don't know what else can be said about it... whoever designed that scene just didn't give a gently caress... about anything Star Trek related or even like what the dimensions of the fictional spacecraft in their show are.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

the actual effects are great

discovery.txt

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah it looks neat it just doesn't make sense that there's a giant empty floating technocity inside a space ship smaller than the Original Enterprise.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was going to ask what show is that from but if it’s from Discovery I don’t even want to know.

e: yea Orville! You can’t get here soon enough.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

and since one of the folks responsible for making that sequence is a goon I want to reiterate to them that the actual effects are great

Yeah it's a really cool looking Tron cube but I'm convinced somebody had that rendered just to troll fans because of the absurdity

Anyways the Orville looks fantastic and cohesive pretty consistently

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

in the TNG poseidon adventure episode, Picard and the children should have had to wander through the turbolift dimension and ran across a tribe of tattered clothed ensigns that got lost in it over the years, in a sort of lord of the flies situation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tom Guycot posted:

in the TNG poseidon adventure episode, Picard and the children should have had to wander through the turbolift dimension and ran across a tribe of tattered clothed ensigns that got lost in it over the years, in a sort of lord of the flies situation.

So Grey 17 is Missing?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Iron Crowned posted:

So Grey 17 is Missing?

Looked this up, and man, i should really get around to watching Babylon 5 one of these days.

I always hear good things about it, but i remember as a kid just thinking it looked like a cheap and lovely generic sci fi show i never wanted to watch.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tom Guycot posted:

Looked this up, and man, i should really get around to watching Babylon 5 one of these days.

I always hear good things about it, but i remember as a kid just thinking it looked like a cheap and lovely generic sci fi show i never wanted to watch.

It's worth it, I'm doing my first watch-through now and just finished season 2.

When and if you do give it a shot, there's a B5 "blind watch" thread so that people who are coming in fresh can post our reactions, and (unlike a usual show discussion thread) there won't be spoilers in the open all over it. A couple of us are going episode-by-episode and getting fairly detailed, but lower-effort reactions are welcome too. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tom Guycot posted:

It's worth pointing out that Grey 17 Is Missing is considered one of the two worst episodes in the entire show

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Reminder that this thing exists: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096200/The_Orville__Interactive_Fan_Experience/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

That was my contemporary pre-teen impression of it as well but my god it hits different in the Trump era.

B5 is a show that aged like Chateau D'Yquem

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Yeah it looks neat it just doesn't make sense that there's a giant empty floating technocity inside a space ship smaller than the Original Enterprise.

Cripes, I thought it was on a space station or planet at least. :psyduck:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tom Guycot posted:

Babylon 5 is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. I recently re-watched it and man just the diversity of the extras is something special

However - it's very theatre. It doesn't feel like a TV show a lot of the time.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
To be clear that's very much a feature not a bug. In fact thinking of it that way helps a lot with getting past the cheap sets and whatnot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Babylon 5 is named so because each episode had a budget of 5 dollars

but yeah it's a fantastic show and well worth a watch especially for anybody that can tolerate Star Trek

e: I really love the music from the earlier seasons where they knew full well that the midi orchestra couldn't carry the emotional beats yet so they went hard on the crazy synth noises and percussion

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

B5 is twice the writing of DS9 on half of a Xena: Warrior Princess budget