Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I still cannot believe Raw is 3 hours long. And apparently there was an episode a few weeks ago that featured less than 30 minutes of wrestling across the entire 3-hour program?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Vince is a powerful machine that turns spite, rage and private jet travel into a colossal amount of Lugz footwear commercial airtime.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Peggy Edson posted:

Don't watch WWE it's insanely bad. Wait til Wednesday and watch AEW. You won't feel robbed of your time.

I'm not gonna be thinking about wrestling in a few days. This is just a "hey there's a funny thread about these jackasses let's see what's up right now!" I won't be able to tell the difference between any wrestling show.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There's wrestling on TV tonight at 7pm. Monday Night Raw. I haven't watched wrestling in decades and I'm going to watch it tonight. I'm sure I'll think it's incredibly stupid but eh, whatever.

Don't do this.

Watch AEW Elevation instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081bF8GqHjE

RAW will be awful and have almost no wrestling for 3 hours. Elevation is usually like an hour and it's almost all wrestling. Yeah there are some squashes and the crowd isn't super hot but it's still a good time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Elephant Ambush posted:

Don't do this.

Watch AEW Elevation instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081bF8GqHjE

Is it on tonight?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Is it on tonight?

Yes. Click the link I posted. It will start around the same time (I think).

Edit: it's starting now. 6pm cst

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 8, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
omg this is ridiculous lol

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

A spelling bee?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Ok quiz bowl. Sweet.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's like a whole bonus episode of Jeopardy I'm very impressed

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm watching the AEW one on youtube (streamed to my TV) and it's mostly wrestling. I thought it was mostly just promos and talking and drama poo poo. I'm used to MMA fights where there are big breaks between each fight and this is just non-stop action.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm watching the AEW one on youtube (streamed to my TV) and it's mostly wrestling. I thought it was mostly just promos and talking and drama poo poo. I'm used to MMA fights where there are big breaks between each fight and this is just non-stop action.

With AEW, Monday and Tuesday nights they just do YouTube streams that are mainly lesser matches. Either one-sided squashes or midcarders slumming it. Their main show is on TBS on Wednesday night and their secondary show is TNT on Friday.

You'll find more promos and talking on the TV shows, but not nearly enough as you will with WWE.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well WWE is on TV right now and I'm debating switching to it. I want the real poo poo. The Vince McMahon garbage. I think I'll try it out.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Well WWE is on TV right now and I'm debating switching to it. I want the real poo poo. The Vince McMahon garbage. I think I'll try it out.

Its mostly just boring as hell compared to aew, including the actual wrestling matches which seem slower

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yeah, if you're wanting to see the sort of poo poo this thread is about, that's where you're going to see it. I'm an AEW evangelist, too, but if you want to see into the demented mind of Vince McMahon, you should get it from the source.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

One weak tag match in 40 minutes. One champion who can’t cut a promo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok I turned on WWE for 10 minutes and it was two people slowly talking in the ring the whole time. It was boring. Back to AEW.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Ok I turned on WWE for 10 minutes and it was two people slowly talking in the ring the whole time. It was boring. Back to AEW.

Yeah, it's too bad this thread wasn't around like 6-12 months ago when Alexa Bliss and Lilly the Doll were on loving nonstop. That was some peak Vince bullshit. I'm on a phone so I'm not really in much of a position to give a comprehensive rundown, but they leaned loving hard into making one of their more conventionally attractive women's wrestlers into suddenly acting like a possessed childlike girl and making her weird doll haunt people and cause other wrestlers to puke black goo.

That was some poo poo.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

And that's the ultimate curse of it. We can tell the exceptionally crazy stories, but it's very much like the loot box system in games. Sometimes you might get something amazing, but most of the time it's generic crap or useless crap you don't need. ESPECIALLY with WWE, which as mentioned, Vince dearly wants to be anything BUT wrestling. Wrestlers talking to each other is a core part of the business, but generally, short bursts works best. Unless you've got someone with intense charisma and ability to read a crowd like the late Roddy Piper, odds are you'll get...whatever you saw. But Vince wants it to be anything but wrestling, so...

Nature of the beast. A lot of the time you'll get dull stuff or filler, sometimes you'll get good stuff, sometimes you'll get an unexpected bit of great or amazing stuff like the "Pipe Bomb" promo...

And sometimes, you'll get stuff like this. Though you generally need to be paying attention; wrestling is good at cutting away very fast if members of the crowd decide to run into the ring. Occasionally it leads to hilarious little bits like this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wrestling fans are degenerates to me so this checks out. If you're that hyped up about something that isn't even real then you deserve what you get.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That's pretty great. I don't know what would compel you do attack a 250lb athlete, but it ends just as well as you think it would. Every time.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

AEW has its own issues, of course. One I feel is that since WWE is very sanitized and as a result certain moves are banned (the piledriver has been banned for 15 years, which means whenever someone actually uses it it's a big surprise), AEW perhaps leans a little too hard into "WE'RE NOT LUKEWARM AND MILQUETOAST, WE'LL CURSE AND DO BLADEJOBS AND ETC." and one of the subtler ways this manifests is that AEW wrestlers tend to do a lot more 'big' moves than the average WWE match. Not INHERENTLY a problem...except they do it so much it breaks suspension of disbelief. If in the concept of a match, the two participants have battled for 10-15-20 minutes, and worn down each other's endurance and energy, and then one hits a move like say, the Pepsi Plunge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl4tVE1T4ng&t=85s

That should be it. Done. Finito. Only in very specific circumstances should a pinfall for the 3 not happen there after being 'struck' with that move. But in AEW, it's every other match. Even finishers tend to be kicked out of, which really makes it weird when someone can't get a pin off something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxlFu2t-LU&t=9s

But can get a pin off something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATMMnGR9BQ

Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzcEiZghNoI

Because they're 'higher on the card'. And hence their moves 'do more damage', or something. And if you give a move a NAME, it does even MORE damage! If some other wrestler does a flip into the ring and then delivers a clothesline, then...it's a leaping clothesline, you won't even get a count of 2. But call it the "Buckshot Lariet" and now it will defeat your foes 8 times out of 10.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

That's pretty great. I don't know what would compel you do attack a 250lb athlete, but it ends just as well as you think it would. Every time.

I suspect the answer every time is "Too much alcohol."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wrestling fans are degenerates to me so this checks out. If you're that hyped up about something that isn't even real then you deserve what you get.

Pretty lovely thing to say tbh

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Read a book.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol, I'm not even your target here dummy, I haven't watched it in forever just pointing out you probably shouldn't be looking down your nose at anybody.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lol, I'm not even your target here dummy, I haven't watched it in forever just pointing out you probably shouldn't be looking down your nose at anybody.

I know I'm just loving around. :)

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drat are you guys about to wrestle or something? :thunk:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

To paraphrase Animal Farm...

"All fans of anything are degenerates, but some are more degenerate than others."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
WWE sounds like bad anime filler where every actual fight is padded out to hell with characters redundantly talking at each other for half the episode, except with even more community theatre level acting. And I'm guessing like comic books it's incomprehensible unless you're familiar with decades of continuity that it nevertheless also contradicts.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

WWE sounds like bad anime filler where every actual fight is padded out to hell with characters redundantly talking at each other for half the episode, except with even more community theatre level acting. And I'm guessing like comic books it's incomprehensible unless you're familiar with decades of continuity that it nevertheless also contradicts.

au contraire, monsieur Leviathan: the WWE is frequently incomprehensible regardless of your level of familiarity with the product, or how stories are typically laid out and paced, or human interaction of any kind. at the center of that diagram, where “doesn’t understand people” meets “doesn’t understand how or why one would elicit joy through entertainment” meets “actively spiting the audience and workers for having the gall to care”, sits what us punch sport pagoda dwellers call vinceflex dot jpeg

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, it's too bad this thread wasn't around like 6-12 months ago when Alexa Bliss and Lilly the Doll were on loving nonstop. That was some peak Vince bullshit. I'm on a phone so I'm not really in much of a position to give a comprehensive rundown, but they leaned loving hard into making one of their more conventionally attractive women's wrestlers into suddenly acting like a possessed childlike girl and making her weird doll haunt people and cause other wrestlers to puke black goo.

That was some poo poo.

The absolute worst part about that angle was the look-at-me-i'm-melting-down conniption fits being thrown around right here in WrestlehutPagoda as people that watch WWE every loving week droned on an on an on about how bad it was and Saudi Eurabia and oh my god this is so bad how dare vince she had an eating disorder oh my gosh!

Its why an entire second wrestling forum had to be created and wrestling threads still thrive in GBS.

The worst part of WWF is engrossed goon takes.

edit: did they kill of the impzone of wrestling? did I just hallucinate it? Yet trash like project.log is allowed to live on. Sad!

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 8, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

That was some poo poo.

See that's the kinda thing I eat up. I loved wrestling when it was just not trying to take itself seriously (but also wasn't using rape as a plot device). It's probably why I latched on so hard to Too Cool, and why I stopped watching when they got rid of The Spirit Squad, which I kinda want to gush about at some point in this thread.

Creepy girl who makes people throw up black goo? I'm in. Give me Harley Quinn Undertaker.

You will probably need to elaborate some more on why I should not be in love right now. I mean, I'm sure WWE/Vince are doing absolutely stupid poo poo with this but I'd also love to believe that this owns.

Edit: I looked at some clips online. She looks to be having a LOT of fun with this character and I'm down for it and all its cheese (AHAHAHAHAHAHA). But it also looks like they're doing away with the character? So that's lame.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 8, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

AEW and WWE both have enough promos and video packages to catch you up on the relevant parts of the ongoing stories. It's not like wrestling or comics are completely impenetrable to new fans. They design both forms of media to be somewhat accessible. You're not going to know everything about everyone if you start watching AEW this week but you'll get there quick if you stick around for a while. I only got back into wrestling in the early summer of last year with AEW and it took me a while to get to know everyone but there are helpful resources like this thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977525

It's a good primer on AEW. It hasn't been updated in a while (GAVOK ADD HOOK :bahgawd: ) but that's OK because you'll get the bits you need to know from there and then watching the shows will let you figure out who your favorites are.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 8, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Look at Woke Hogan over here guys.

Lol they think wrestling fans are real.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Okay, I've never watched AEW before and have been tuned out of wrestling for many years but I clicked on that Elevation stream posted above and my reaction is immediate

the announcers aren't feuding, or rambling about some crazy inane poo poo, or doing bits, they're talking about what's happening in the match. it's crazy the difference this makes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hearing JR is comforting and nostalgic.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mr. Meagles posted:

Okay, I've never watched AEW before and have been tuned out of wrestling for many years but I clicked on that Elevation stream posted above and my reaction is immediate

the announcers aren't feuding, or rambling about some crazy inane poo poo, or doing bits, they're talking about what's happening in the match. it's crazy the difference this makes.

The commentary on the YouTube shows is a lot more casual than the weekly TV shows. Dynamite and Rampage have announcers in character but they don't yell at each other constantly the way WWE announcers do.

The YouTube shows also occasionally rotate commentators which is refreshing and fun. Sometimes Eddie Kingston gets to call matches and it's the best poo poo ever.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Oh yeah, you know why WWE announcers are so bad?

Because Vince is backstage yelling in their earpieces what to say. Constantly. For every. drat. Show.

Just like he is liable and has, many a time, gone into the writer's room and ripped up everything they did and demand they start over, maybe even just before the show goes on the air. Which might be more tolerable if the WWE did a bullet points type of script, but no, Vince HATES WRESTLING and wants it to be as Hollywood as possible. You try writing a quality or even passable TV episode script with an hour's notice.

Oh yeah, and if you're good at your job and even keep notes and do storyboards so that what you're handling makes sense, Vince will mock you as a nerd, get others to mock you, and then fire you, probably because you're a nerd.

No idea if AEW has a similar setup with annoucers with someone talking in their ear, but it doesn't have Vince, so...

(You want a good example of what removing him does? At Wrestlemania 30, after the Undertaker match where he was severely concussed, Vince went with him to the hospital and hence wasn't there to direct the final two matches. As a result, the commentary for the final match, which was probably the last big 'true moment' the WWE has ever created, actually sounds competent. Like I said. In spite of himself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Speaking of big take, how glad must he be for losing the worst neck and throat tattoo title to lil' code?

Then again he'll never really lose the overall title. He's a long time bad decision king, like when he was out of contract for just a couple weeks after retiring and he turned into an MLM pusher willing to debase himself, kill his image and shill for anyone with an herbal detox tea or tummy wrap willing to give him three hundred dollars.