Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I watched the first five of those, just for a lil taste, like Hannibal Lecter. Saw Giantdad oh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

enojy posted:

I watched the first five of those, just for a lil taste, like Hannibal Lecter. Saw Giantdad oh yeah

:bisonyes:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Thundercracker posted:

I always roll Deprived not because I'm some difficulty freak, I cheese freely, but because my favorite part of any RPG is the start of gearing up where you equip anything you can because it fills up a slot.

Starting with real weapons and spells and armor just feels wrong.

Agreed 100%, for the first runs anyway before I start doing PVP builds.

Running around as a big beefy dude with my loin cloth and thief mask wielding the Spiked Mace in DS3 was awesome, my character ended up with a distinct style totally naturally.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

play the game co-op. cooperating to do things you can't do alone is literally the point / inspiration for dark souls, moreso than gitting gud even

... that and "i want a big skeleton to step on me"

Yeah the “anonymous” co-oping is as literally inspired by Miyazaki and a bunch of other drivers being stuck at the bottom of a snowy hill and having the car behind you pushing you up over the hill without knowing who it was or having anyway of thanking them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
When I play I am slow and ponderous.

I think spiritually I am most similar to the onion guy who always goes "hum. hmmmmmmm."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Met a 70 year old veteran today, he told me that there's people in this world who make things easier for others and some who make things harder, it's like this game he plays, where you can invade and kill people, or choose instead to help them out. He's always chosen to help folks out and yes, this man is looking forward to Elden Ring.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
All this talk about how ER will be the easiest souls game is making me a little nervous. I hope they don't make it too easy. I love the difficulty level of the SoulsBorne games.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

All this talk about how ER will be the easiest souls game is making me a little nervous. I hope they don't make it too easy. I love the difficulty level of the SoulsBorne games.

On the flipside Miyazaki also said that the open nature of the game gave them license to put some real gently caress-yous in there. If you want trouble you can probably go looking for it.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

i have faith

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Charliegrs posted:

The boss of the first zone looks to be as hard as Gascoigne, but you can't just ramp up the difficulty endlessly for veterans or the game will be completely impenetrable for new audiences.

Also yeah as acksplode said I'm looking forward to looking for trouble and finding it because Miyazaki

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Elden Ring being easy and for casuals would be well in line with it being the spiritual successor to Dark Souls 2

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't care if the game is super easy or super hard as long as it's Good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i don't care if the game is super easy or super hard as long as it's Good

like Dark Souls 2 it will also be good

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

uhm, I'm pretty sure dark soulds is about what if a skeleton had a sword?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dark Souls 3 is kinda easy and it’s really good

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

like Dark Souls 2 it will also be good

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From the interviews this sounds like it’ll be the easiest Souls game to date. They really wanted to keep the core of the game fun and accessible and it seems that they buried the infamous “souls-like difficulty” on the optional/open paths you can choose to explore (or ignore). So it might work out in a favorable loop where you just focus on the main story / areas and have an easier time progressing and as you get stronger you can branch out and go find a more difficult challenge.

no, reports are that the main story still contains extremely hard bosses, just that if you're struggling against a difficult boss it's not going to be a chokepoint in the same way at all, you can go explore elsewhere and level up first. there's also a bunch of qol changes and additions like the spirits that they hope will make it more accessible.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It is almost time for Elden Ring

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i don't think i have the stamina for anything as hard as Isshin Sword Saint again

i'm old and weak now

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There’s a few good memes in the meme thread but if y’all have more, I need more.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
just pre-ordered on humble for 20% off. normally i'd wait until the game is completely finished/patched/expanded but i don't want to miss out on the early insane mp population and invading shenanigans since rats and bell bro covs were some of the most online fun i've ever had

hoping you can gently caress with people early and don't have to wait/progress a bunch for the full red eye orb

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dodgeblan posted:

i don't think i have the stamina for anything as hard as Isshin Sword Saint again

i'm old and weak now

If I ever play another game that pulls that kind of poo poo again, I'll frisbee it into the woods behind my house.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dodgeblan posted:

i'm old and weak now

put levels in endurance and equip the ring of favor lmao

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

dodgeblan posted:

i'm old and weak now

Try jumping

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thundercracker posted:

I always roll Deprived not because I'm some difficulty freak, I cheese freely, but because my favorite part of any RPG is the start of gearing up where you equip anything you can because it fills up a slot.

Starting with real weapons and spells and armor just feels wrong.

I usually roll deprived because it seems like even though the opening of the game is harder my stats will be a bit higher in the endgame with respect to my character level. I don't like taking characters over level 100 if I can help it, seems kind of excessiver or whatev

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Depending on the starting classes Deprived doesn't give you more endgame stats. I think some of the DS3 classes are like level 5 but have several stats above 10 so you might miss out on a point or two. Not really a relevant amount though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Brandfarlig posted:

Depending on the starting classes Deprived doesn't give you more endgame stats. I think some of the DS3 classes are like level 5 but have several stats above 10 so you might miss out on a point or two. Not really a relevant amount though.

Deprived usually starts with slightly lower stats but 10 levels less, so being able to allocate those 10 levels to my preference matters a lot if I'm not going beyond lvl 100

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I always thought people took deprived for the added challenge.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

The thing about these games is that you can tune the difficulty level exquisitely to your skill level. They are exactly as hard as anyone wants them to be.

Expert players eventually figure out that you can no-hit every boss at SL 1 without using all the moves in your move set. Regular players can level up and coop brute force their way past just about any problem. The challenge of dark souls is extremely personal and I love it for that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
For 50 golden runes per day you can give every enemy 1/2 health and lower resistances to all damage types

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

gosh golly god drat it ELDEN RING

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What’s that?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Is this the new LOTR game?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

henpod posted:

Is this the new LOTR game?

Lick Our Tarnished Rims?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Vintersorg posted:

I clicked a video and instantly got a boner and my cheeks got that warming up rush. I cannot loving WAIT.

I told my wife I am taking over the TV and she said gently caress you, get the other bullshit tv and go to the unfinished basement you dumb loving idiot.

So RIP.

Just :sever:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
What is my playthrough going to be like?

It will be sword man who dodges and dies 400 times to each boss until I finally brute force them and neglect to use any other items in my inventory

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Aipsh posted:

What is my playthrough going to be like?

It will be sword man who dodges and dies 400 times to each boss until I finally brute force them and neglect to use any other items in my inventory

This is me. Pick a generic all-rounder with a sword and shield, suffer for hours instead of doing smart, magic or gimmick plays, find a weapon to hit things good and ultimately win.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just slap on a moustache and foppish hair cut and I'm good to go.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brandfarlig posted:

if you know exactly what your target numbers for each stat are Deprived is usually bad (e.g. it doesn't matter if you have 7 or 10 points in Faith or Attunement or Luck whatever if you're literally never going to use those stats) but they're the most flexible for respecs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Just came in to say that i can't wait to powerstance greatswords again.