Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is it just me or are Prank-Kids real bad? I accidentally just had a duel where I let the opponent draw like 12 cards off Maxx 'C' because I miscounted 300 lifepoints from lethal. With the vast majority of their deck thus in play they ineffectually flailed at me with like 20 cards and still ended up losing on my next turn. They just don't seem to really have a good way to remove high attack monsters and their boss being Fusion summon only is real rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Prank Kids can link climb like nothing else and generate resources in the process, and their Fusion boss monster has a quick effect Raigeki that bypasses its self-tribute cost if they have a Meow-Meow in the GY. They're pretty good, easily Tier 2; they do have to summon from Deck though, so maybe they just happened to not have specific Prank Kids in the Deck due to Maxx so their usual line was broken? But based on what you said I'm not sure what's stopping them from just fusing into Battle Butler and clearing your board.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

blizzardvizard posted:

Prank Kids can link climb like nothing else and generate resources in the process, and their Fusion boss monster has a quick effect Raigeki that bypasses its self-tribute cost if they have a Meow-Meow in the GY. They're pretty good, easily Tier 2; they do have to summon from Deck though, so maybe they just happened to not have specific Prank Kids in the Deck due to Maxx so their usual line was broken? But based on what you said I'm not sure what's stopping them from just fusing into Battle Butler and clearing your board.

Might have been unfamiliarity with Dinos. I took out the first Battle Butler by using Super Conductor Tyranno to flip it face down which he didn't tribute in response to (Miscellaneousaurus might have also been protecting me there?). The second I negated with a Dolkka and none of his other monsters/removal could deal with the Super Conductor I had left on the field which definitely would have been taken out by literally any kind of removal as I was totally tapped out after Dolkka.

They definitely filled the board up with a bunch of links that couldn't be destroyed by battle/effects but they topped out at like 2500 attack with their field buffs and the Tyranno still had 3k even after the malus.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just played a dude who went first and FTKd me with Exodia. Has to happen to everyone at some point

If I had gone first, I would have gotten out Majesty's Fiend and locked out special summons, which would have completely stopped the version of Exodia they were running :argh:

Losses to Exodia FTK should not count against wins needed to promote a rank

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I was wondering if we had a thread on Master Duel.

I am loving this game, I have never played Yugioh before and I havent seen any anime, but some friends downloaded this who have and Im the one whos most into it. I would definitely say its not new player friendly though. I spent the first few days just playing solo and watching youtube guides and I think I did a good job spending my starting free gems, and do have some left. I am only in Gold and havent really lost badly except for one match where I timed out because I got greedy with a combo I didnt need to make. Ive come up with some good (and lucky) plays at times which makes the game quite interesting.

Someone mentioned Prank Kids and I gotta say I find them super fun but expect to get stomped by people who know what they are doing in Plat etc, I love the fact you have a lot of fusion combos to pick up effect monsters what you need at the time. I guess they will drop off eventually though and I will get annoyed at losing. My main worry is boring people to tears with loads of summons so I try not to be that guy, but the biggest annoyance is the animation time honestly. I also have an Eldlich and TrueDraco deck that I have never used outside of solo, but am getting used to them and will bring them out at some point. I was trying to get different types of deck so I might not get bored? Will see.

I am thinking if I do keep enjoying playing I might splash out on the 'deals' for gems, even though I think they are horrific value just so I can crack some packs and get materials to power up my decks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Touchdown Boy posted:

I am thinking if I do keep enjoying playing I might splash out on the 'deals' for gems, even though I think they are horrific value just so I can crack some packs and get materials to power up my decks.

I might be misreading this, but if you didn't grab the Ash Blossom, Solemn Judgment, and Lightning Storm specials, you need to do so ASAP. Those cards are all staple URs that you'll get a ton of use out of and it's a decent discount on Master Packs on top of it. It is bar none the best use of gems in the game.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 9, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

King of Solomon posted:

I might be misreading this, but if you didn't grab the Ash Blossom, Solemn Judgment, and Lightning Storm specials, you need to do so ASAP. Those cards are all staplesl URs that you'll get a ton of use out of and it's a decent discount on Master Packs on top of it. It is bar none the best use of gems in the game.

Yeah, they're 600 gems for 10 packs (normally 1000 gems) and good staple URs on top of the packs.

Similarly once you hit level 100 on the battle pass, make sure you go and buy the gold upgrade because it costs 600 gems but gives you 600 gems back for all the gold path rewards, so it's essentially a bunch of free crafting shards.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Bought a couple packs of the Eldlich secret packs and have gotten multiple copies of all the URs except Golden Boi himself :argh:

t:mad:

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
Pulled an UR from the legacy packs today, can someone explain why mystical refpanel of all cards is an UR?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Touchdown Boy posted:

One tip I can definitely give you is to make a burner account or two before you invest heavily in a new deck. There's guides for the various systems online, but basically with an hour or so of set-up (depending on how fast you can download the 5gb of game data) you'll have a fresh new account with a deluge of gems to spend.

I was thinking of making a True Draco anti-meta deck, basically running six Skill Drain (with The Monarchs Erupt) and a bunch of other floodgates. Since True Draco don't get their own secret pack, it requires quite a lot of crafting even without any URs. So I started a new account, rushed through the tutorials, collected a bunch of bonus gems and went from there.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fabiopenz posted:

Pulled an UR from the legacy packs today, can someone explain why mystical refpanel of all cards is an UR?

20 free ur gems buddy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
(No i get it, its sucks to basically be handed 1/3 of a card)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fabiopenz posted:

The legacy packs are almost entirely useless, and are packed together as "cards that showed up in the anime and that no one would otherwise want." Mystical Refpanel was actually important in one duel, and all the good important cards are in other packs, so it's kind of winning UR by default.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Considering you only get 2 pulls from each and there's no SR/UR pity mechanic it is complete bullshit that not all cards are available in the 'bonus' packs you get. Like come on, I've gotten gently caress-all from it anyways at least let me feel like I might have a chance of getting something interesting instead of letting them pile up because opening them is almost more effort than they're worth.

I also have no idea what people are doing in this game sometimes. Is there a secret mission to deck yourself out? I have run into 2 duels in Plat where the opponent deliberately set everything up to deck themselves out and lock me out of doing anything :psyduck:

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 9, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Considering you only get 2 pulls from each and there's no SR/UR pity mechanic it is complete bullshit that not all cards are available in the 'bonus' packs you get. Like come on, I've gotten gently caress-all from it anyways at least let me feel like I might have a chance of getting something interesting instead of letting them pile up because opening them is almost more effort than they're worth.

I also have no idea what people are doing in this game sometimes. Is there a secret mission to deck yourself out? I have run into 2 duels in Plat where the opponent deliberately set everything up to deck themselves out and lock me out of doing anything :psyduck:
Dont kinkshame

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Honestly, the Legacy Packs feel like a typical free to play game mechanic to keep you hooked, to keep just enough of the itch going as it were. I really wish that you could at least dismantle those cards, my main account has two copies of Unity, which is also an UR, including a foil one.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Terraforming being an UR slays me tho. It's a good card and all, but I'm pretty sure it was a common when it was released in 2005

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
It kind of makes sense to me. It's a card that you basically need for any archetype that in any way relies on a field spell as part of its game plan. There's a whole slew of cards in the game that seem to be UR just for being universal, either as staples to build your own gameplan or as answers to opponents.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Field spell has become too powerful, anything that can search it faster and easier (Ancient Fairy Dragon) are perm banned.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Get hosed Skill Drain :getin:

Since Stratos wasn't on the field anymore to being Tributed for Increase's effect, the S/T destruction effect went through. I went on to OTK them this turn :cool:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
How in the ever loving gently caress are you meant to beat Krawler Outbreak with the loaner deck? This is the worst poo poo in the world.

e: apparently it's complain on the internet until you get world chalice discovery and monster reborn

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 10, 2022

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Looks like the first Master Duel event has been announced: XYZ summoning. Any recommendations for a cheap and/or newb friendly archtype? I realize I'm going to get rocked by everybody playing the meta Tribrigade/Zoodiac decks, but I'm not sure I'd be able to pull that off without a flow chart.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ardeem posted:

Looks like the first Master Duel event has been announced: XYZ summoning. Any recommendations for a cheap and/or newb friendly archtype? I realize I'm going to get rocked by everybody playing the meta Tribrigade/Zoodiac decks, but I'm not sure I'd be able to pull that off without a flow chart.

For 1500 gems you can get three copies of the Utopia structure deck which is what I'm probably going to do.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Realistically all of these Extra Deck-specific events are just gonna be flooded by Eldlich

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'd hope that they give more points for doing the right sort of summon than they do for winning and/or ban the other flavors of extra deck monsters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ardeem posted:

I'd hope that they give more points for doing the right sort of summon than they do for winning and/or ban the other flavors of extra deck monsters.

Yeah, the big issue is Eldlich doesn't need or even really use any extra deck stuff so you can just throw in a bunch of XYZ you never intend to use and roll over people.

Drytrons are also gonna be a menace since they almost exclusively use XYZ and Ritual

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Nurse-burn Tri-and-Guess is going to be hilarious.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The standard Drytron combo requires you to play Herald of the Arclight even if you never actually summon it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

kirbysuperstar posted:

How in the ever loving gently caress are you meant to beat Krawler Outbreak with the loaner deck? This is the worst poo poo in the world.
Don’t forget to fill the in game survey to tell the dev their loaner suck. This can become a bigger deal when they add loaner deck in tournament.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I sure love it when the Demise Ritual AI opponent summons a 3000 ATK beatstick that your loaner deck has zero ways to out

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My favourite is the Unchained loaner deck that has no outs to the opposing World Armor (other than waiting for the AI to link it off pointlessly until they run out of life)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
E: missed a page

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zore posted:

Yeah, the big issue is Eldlich doesn't need or even really use any extra deck stuff so you can just throw in a bunch of XYZ you never intend to use and roll over people.

Drytrons are also gonna be a menace since they almost exclusively use XYZ and Ritual

I mean to be fair, one of the standard Eldlich builds runs Gustav Max and Liebe to finish games.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Ardeem posted:

Unless the event requires you to actually have cards in the extra deck, True Draco would be a good choice. Cheap, easy to play, and can out some of the more annoying boss monsters when you end up going second

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Are there any fusion monsters that have generic fusion material, like 2 dark or 2 beasts? I pulled a super polymerization and that could be an interesting tech card.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any fusion monsters that have generic fusion material, like 2 dark or 2 beasts? I pulled a super polymerization and that could be an interesting tech card.

The immediate answer is Starving Venom Fusion Dragon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The two most commonly used generic Super Poly targets are Mudragon of the Swamp, which requires any 2 monsters with the same Attribute but different Types, and Starving Venom Fusion Dragon, which requires any 2 Dark effect monsters (on the field, but Super Poly can only be used with monsters on the field anyway.)

Shaddolls, Invoked, and HEROes also have a number of generic Fusions that require any monster of their archetype + a specific Attribute monster. (El Shaddoll Construct requires a Shaddoll monster and a Light monster, for example)

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Skios posted:

One tip I can definitely give you is to make a burner account or two before you invest heavily in a new deck. There's guides for the various systems online, but basically with an hour or so of set-up (depending on how fast you can download the 5gb of game data) you'll have a fresh new account with a deluge of gems to spend.

I was thinking of making a True Draco anti-meta deck, basically running six Skill Drain (with The Monarchs Erupt) and a bunch of other floodgates. Since True Draco don't get their own secret pack, it requires quite a lot of crafting even without any URs. So I started a new account, rushed through the tutorials, collected a bunch of bonus gems and went from there.

Yeah this is good advice, I am somewhat happy with what I have put together, but if I need to I will definitely go again for al the free gems.

I wish there were some more QoL stuff in this game, like reordering your decks, favouriting more than 20 cards, sharing decks with friends, etc.

ps I didnt know about Monarchs Erupt. I will try that in my Dracos.

Edit: I want to make a banish heavy deck but assume its a gimmick and wont just wipe Eldich and the like easily or more people would do it.

Touchdown Boy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 10, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Self banish is a decent rogue strategy, there's cards that banish a bunch as a cost to give you a powerful effect (eg Pot of Desires, Eater of Millions, Gizmek Orochi). Gren Maju da Eiza is legitimately a terrifying card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah thats the sort of deck I am thinking about, also some trolly idea to explode peoples decks with Inferno Tempest and Macro Cosmos.

I have like 3 decks I have barely played so probably just gonna keep it on the back burner for now.

Edit: But I think Metaphys decks are something people play with the banish stuff built in so I will look into that as well. I am brand new to this game so I am reading a lot right now just to learn.