Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ok so I got my pocket operator today and I gotta say, it's fun as hell.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

So on top of the bare PCBs I already bought....I bought a couple more. And I'm working on my own PCBs for a few things. I've already finished doing schematic and layout for a module that'll be 808 kick and snare, and I'm currently workin on the schematic for cymbal, open hat, and closed hat. Probably make my own filter after that.

And to support my circuit building habit.....bought a bunch of stuff to build a solder reflow oven, cause hot air pencil just isn't good enough. Especially with several of these boards using 0402 component, real concerned about the hot air blowing then off. I really dislike working for 0402, but it's what those PCBs were. Since Mutable Instruments has provided the design files as well as all the code, I may take those boards are redo them using 0603. :effort: but if I want a second copy, I'm willing to redo the layout to make my life a little bit easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I needed a better paper cutter so I bought an antique one that needed some restoration and did that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Megabound posted:

I needed a better paper cutter so I bought an antique one that needed some restoration and did that.

drat looks clean as hell.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

OniPanda posted:

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

So on top of the bare PCBs I already bought....I bought a couple more. And I'm working on my own PCBs for a few things. I've already finished doing schematic and layout for a module that'll be 808 kick and snare, and I'm currently workin on the schematic for cymbal, open hat, and closed hat. Probably make my own filter after that.

And to support my circuit building habit.....bought a bunch of stuff to build a solder reflow oven, cause hot air pencil just isn't good enough. Especially with several of these boards using 0402 component, real concerned about the hot air blowing then off. I really dislike working for 0402, but it's what those PCBs were. Since Mutable Instruments has provided the design files as well as all the code, I may take those boards are redo them using 0603. :effort: but if I want a second copy, I'm willing to redo the layout to make my life a little bit easier.

U gotta show off ur freak drum in the synth thread when you're done

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Megabound posted:

Very nice! I hate the new paper cutters that have the secondary little arm that is supposed to hold the paper for you. It never works and just scoots the paper out of alignment as I'm trying to cut it :argh:

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Megabound posted:

Dang that's nice! I've been trying to find a decent one for years on my estate sale adventures.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Is this older than it looks or am I older than I feel?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think we had those exact ones at school, and an absolutely massive one as well.

Our school was a tiny church school founded in the 1400s though, so every time anyone goes in the attic or basement it's "whoops that's where the medieval brasses were"

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I bought a house in November and part of what I loved most about it was the professional range in the kitchen. Well... on Friday it shorted out and caught fire. Could have burned the house down if I wasn't home. Thanks $4000 Samsung range!

They've offered to repair it, but I don't see how that could possibly happen. Plus, I'm swearing off Samsung appliances forever. In the meantime, I'd be waiting on their slow asses without a stove to cook on. So I bought an LG.

So far I don't hate it, but I miss the simplicity and look of the old one.

This one did come with rear end'y spray, so that's a plus.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Idk if I brought it up here, but per some folks I know that work appliance warranty plans at Lowe’s corporate Samsung fridges have a claim hit rate of about 50% these days. I don’t know if that caries to their other appliances, but I do know that most other brands are sub 10%.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Hard to say, there's no manufacturing date on it but I'm guessing at least 40 years old.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

CatBlack posted:

U gotta show off ur freak drum in the synth thread when you're done

Will when I'm done. Still lots of work to do and poo poo to buy. I need to post in the synth thread though, cause I already have an evolution of gear xD

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't believe I ever seen a wooden one in my life. Always metal or plastic.

E: but apparently you can still buy some

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Feb 6, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't believe I ever seen a wooden one in my life. Always metal or plastic.

E: but apparently you can still buy some

There's some extremely pretty ones I've got eyes on at the moment. I'm probably going to add importing and restoring paper cutters to my list of hobbies, I'll have to see what the market is like for them as I like my hobbies to pay for themselves.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I bought an LG fridge, Washer, and induction range over the past few years. They are mostly ok. The range has a weird electrical problem that's probably related to my lovely house wiring and I've had to replace the drain pump in the washer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bunch of carbide end mills 6 - 8- 10 mm sizes and some HSS blanks

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh hell yeah, make them chips duder.

Are the blanks for geometry you have in mind or for the “just in case” pile?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A little bit of both actually, one of them will become a trapezoidal threading insert and some might become form tools.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Loki Kunti posted:

That can not be true (except when the whole oven needs this time for heating up). I am much too lazy to do the math, but it will not take 45 min for steel in a hot oven to come to an approximate equilibrium temperature with the oven temperature.

I check it with an IR thermometer and it that's how long it takes :shrug:

The manufacturer instructions say to preheat for 45-60 minutes and in my experience, they're right. I've tried putting a pizza on there after 30 and it definitely isn't hot enough yet.

edit: to be clear, these things weigh like 12-16 lbs. It's not just like a cookie sheet, which would obviously heat up much faster.

Argyle has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Feb 7, 2022

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It really depends on the makeup of the metal. Stainless steel for instance actually has a pretty low thermal conductivity, around as little as a quarter as much as carbon steel. And then compared to something like aluminum, it's something like 15x less. Also since it's an oven and not a convection oven, the heat transfer isn't going to be as good. So it could definitely take some time.

IR thermometers aren't the best way to measure it (good enough) but anything that's reflective can be difficult to measure accurately. Especially since the inside of the oven is often reflective as well to IR.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I don't check my (carbon) steels for temp, but allegedly my oven goes to 550 convection so it already takes the better part of 30 minutes to allege that it's preheated. They do seem to keep the thermostat honest, too, though.

No pics but I got me all the fixins for a Martha tent to fruit mushrooms in. Now I just need some fruiting blocks and I'll be all set.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I bought a house in November and part of what I loved most about it was the professional range in the kitchen. Well... on Friday it shorted out and caught fire. Could have burned the house down if I wasn't home. Thanks $4000 Samsung range!

I love how it's a gas range but with enough current to potentially cause a fire running through the dials. SMH.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
All auto igniters I've seen run at 120v. I always expected them to be 12v but nope, it's mains voltage everywhere.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

All auto igniters I've seen run at 120v. I always expected them to be 12v but nope, it's mains voltage everywhere.

Better to save a few cents and create a fire hazard for the owner.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Higher voltage makes for better sparks though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
As evidenced in the previous posts.

Also I feel fhe need to say that the noise those old paper cutters make when they are slicing is an incredibly satisfying noise.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I mean, it is a circuit designed to start a fire. I say it did a pretty good job.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some art, this is the first month of this year's woodblock print subscription from the print makers at Mokuhankan. They're exquisite delicate pieces and I'm glad I finally managed to get on a subscription with them.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell yeah Dave Bull & co :neckbeard:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Nvm

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Feb 8, 2022

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Preordered, so might be here this year, who knows with all the supply chain issues.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ElZilcho posted:

Preordered, so might be here this year, who knows with all the supply chain issues.

Hell yes. I want a go of one of these

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Re: appliance chat. Bought a used GE slide in range last night so we can sell our house with a decent looking range. My wife is absolutely not willing to part with her LG induction range, so it's going with us.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I bought a new water heater and the install for it so I too can sell my house. The one right now is original (26 years old!) and still works, but it's pretty tired. They're going to come tomorrow to install it so I need to make sure it's nice and clean around it, which I was working on yesterday. Stupid spiders making a mess.

I decided I can't be bothered to replace the screens myself as it's way too tedious, so I'll be taking them all out so that they can get redone. I'm going to have to hire someone to take down a single one that's going to need a tall ladder to get to, which I don't have, and I'm deathly afraid of heights so that's not going to work anyway.

Bape Culture posted:

Hell yes. I want a go of one of these

Same.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Not my picture, but I finally bought an upgrade to go with the PS5.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
One of my bike socks is so thin I got a blister today, so I bought some new socks!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Bought a Playstation VR V2 with move controllers for $100 from our Craigslist equivalent!

Bought Superhot, Beat Saber, Tetris Effect and Batman Arkham VR from the Playstation store.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

Bought a Playstation VR V2 with move controllers for $100 from our Craigslist equivalent!

I'm not going to knock 100$ investment to get into VR. However I've not heard great things in general about the PSVR (anecdotal from 2 friends). If you like it consider picking up a dedicated headset. The quest 2 is pretty good and not too pricey. They also recently removed the requirement to link a FB account if I'm not mistaken.

I hope you enjoy it tho!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sterster posted:

I'm not going to knock 100$ investment to get into VR. However I've not heard great things in general about the PSVR (anecdotal from 2 friends). If you like it consider picking up a dedicated headset. The quest 2 is pretty good and not too pricey. They also recently removed the requirement to link a FB account if I'm not mistaken.

I hope you enjoy it tho!

Not yet, it's happening "at some point" but right now it's still specifically a Facebook account and not the more general Meta account. The PSVR is an alright system if you already have a PS4 to connect it to (it doesn't work with the PS5 which is getting the PSVR2 soon) but it does have some tracking issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I had a PSVR and it has its perks and downsides. $100 seems like a good price for it and if you like it, I agree with upgrading to a quest 2. It’s worth the money for no wires/external camera and actual joysticks. If you’re planning on upgrading don’t be like me and buy a bunch of downloadable games you can’t sell when you’re done.