Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Homeless Friend posted:

you should absolutely install LED's, not to save the planet but the save your sanity from having to change lightbulbs

lol they replaced the streetlights here with leds like a year ago and they're all failing already so every third one you go past roasts your eyeballs with ultraviolet light. im sure the nocturnal animals love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
LED streetlights work fine everywhere else.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There's some kinda led where it fails in this exact way very quickly. Backlights turn to blacklights on some screens, poo poo like that

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

lol they replaced the streetlights here with leds like a year ago and they're all failing already so every third one you go past roasts your eyeballs with ultraviolet light. im sure the nocturnal animals love it

Yea they love it so much they stopped mating

Fame Douglas posted:

LED streetlights work fine everywhere else.

Change your acc name to syq

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Street lights in general are another factor in the whole "mass murdering the insects" thing

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58333233

quote:

The researchers think street lights may deter nocturnal moths from laying their eggs or put the insects at risk of being spotted and consumed by predators such as bats.

In turn, caterpillars that are born under streetlights, particularly LEDs, alter their feeding habits.

But there are practical solutions that don't compromise public safety, they say, including dimming streetlights in the early hours, fitting motion sensors or using colour filters to cut out the most harmful wavelengths.

In the study, experts from the charity, Butterfly Conservation, Newcastle University and the UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology surveyed caterpillars on stretches of grassland and hedgerows at the sides of roads in southern England.

Each of 26 sites with streetlights in Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire was compared with a similar stretch of unlit road nearby.

Surveys showed a reduction of caterpillars by about half in lit areas (47% reduction in hedgerows; 33% in grass margins).

I also kind of assume they are spraying weed killers and poo poo along those roads too though uhh anyway

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

As one they adamantly refuse to allow effective changes to be made to their homes and run their property into the ground, possibly killing themselves in the future. As a collective, they do the same, but to the nation. What is to be done?
We truly are a Democracy :)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Blue color-temperature night lighting is shredding the rhythm of the planet. We're already so out of phase - nightblinded by car taillights and digital screens - that we don't notice.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

err posted:

Has anyone read Termination Shock by Neal Stephenson? Been wanting more climate fiction after The Ministry for the Future.

I have like 5k posts unread because I'm depressed about the climate so maybe this was already discussed. Any other recommendations are welcomed though.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1490754760223375362

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sounds like that whole oceans rising thing was a myth then :smuggo:

e: dammit someone beat me to the hot take

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There's those words again.

sooner than anticipated

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Has there been a single climate related thing that has taken longer than we thought

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

i mean, the ozone hole

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The horrors are accelerating.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

p. sure the fix for that was replacing cfc’s with hfc’s which contribute to greenhouse gases a billion percent worse than CO2

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

you should absolutely install LED's, not to save the planet but the save your sanity from having to change lightbulbs

I don't like LEDs because you pretty much have to have a dimmer, and dimming is annoying, especially with three way switches. if you're not super careful the dimmer will result in a buzzing sound, even if the light says it's compatible with it.

the reason I say you have to have a dimmer is LEDs are only available at 450 and 800 lumens if you want something pretty dim. They don't have anywhere near the number of choices as incandescent or halogen. I needed like 550-650, and was able to find a 570 lumen incandescent bulb.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silicone thrills posted:

The horrors are accelerating.

lol

lmao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
during winter when using indoor heating anything like a light bulb or refrigerator or laptop that generates heat indoors can't waste electricity because the waste is put out as heat

even light eventually becomes heat unless it escapes out the window

so grandpa worried about the light bulbs affecting the heat could still be mining dogecoin fwiw and still not waste electricity

obv opposite is true in the summer

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There's those words again.

sooner than anticipated

We have to be more careful now because the situation's changed. Tales of water scarcity in particular should be received with greater skepticism after the commodification of water.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
gggh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

37% more water in the Himelayas than previously believed is good news. Hooray for all of those people.

11% less water overall is the news I've come to expect though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I can't be right about the furnace because as the Child, I am lower than the Parent and this is enough to just be wrong in and of itself. Only a recognized authority in the matter can be correct.

But the actual HVAC technicians are also wrong and not recognized as authorities. The only authority people like that recognize is themselves.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Unless posted:

i mean, the ozone hole

Lmao I remember that. Did we actually solve that?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cup Runneth Over posted:

But the actual HVAC technicians are also wrong and not recognized as authorities. The only authority people like that recognize is themselves.

Not true. When a trans person won jeopardy things were restructured to accommodate, and all of their own personal history of being hideous assholes about it was perfectly redacted.

Despite being rigid it can't be too brittle, it has to be possible to make some changes. These changes have to have always been in effect like some reverse causality. If it were fully inert and impossible to rise or fall it wouldn't be emotionally useful to believe in cause you'd be locked in. If it were too loose it would be a free for all which is emotionally dangerous cause any bullshit could dislodge you -- not useful to believe.

Being the hvac guy is lower on the chain because it's not prestigious enough. White collar is higher than blue, even if this person clearly has genuine expertise. Money helps, but it has to be big money, or the styleand image of big money. Because zero sum if someone has big money they are pretty high up the ladder. Prestige is also zero sum and not having it means lower rank.

No part of any of this is ever reflected upon, it's all off the cuff.

I'd add a third axiom where all this is sorta rarified by the opinions of recognized authorities or peers.

Another thing that comes out of this is you're allowed to kick people lower than you but punching up is forbidden cause it could destabilize the belief system. This facilitates moving up and helps prevent you from backsliding, so it's useful.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol just like leaded gasoline, those will be 100% phased out any day now... any... day... now...

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also it turns out methane skullfucks the ozone layer

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In the Southern Hemishpere we did, for now. In the northern hemisphere, the stratospheric inversion layer caused by GHG emissions is creating a quickly worsening ozone hole there. Oops.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ehhhhh, stalled on it, as mentioned above. Some improvements, surprisingly, for once, but offset by, for instance, a recent resumption in some pollutants that had all but disappeared and other climate change effects affecting the whole process.

So, uh, not good, getting worse, but for once it is something that's deteriorating more slowly than expected. Damning with faint praise.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
the ozone problem was acted on quickly and decisively because the oil and gas industry was a willing partner to the talks, but by the time the us government started paying serious attention to the greenhouse effect in 1989 the industry had switched tactics to fight any and all attempts to rectify the problem

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

also, those rabbits going blind in tierra del fuego and people coming down with UV radiation poisoning was pretty striking to our 90s sensibilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEORxpfQMTA

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

silicone thrills posted:

biosphere collapse: the horrors are accelerating

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

don't worry guys, the mass desalination plants will make it so we don't have to worry about the bottlenecks

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
glaciers containing less water than previously thought means less sea level rise

checkmate

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

don't worry guys, the mass desalination plants will make it so we don't have to worry about the bottlenecks

clean water for the rich, salt brine for the poor

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There used to be literal clouds of Bogong Moths every spring in Australia and we are now at the stage where citizen science is required to report moth sightings so we can see if they make their pilgrimage to the alps to reproduce.

they are also the primary food source for the pigmy possum which is also breeding during the melt in spring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogong_moth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_pygmy_possum

the camp sites we used to visit as kids would run fluorescent lighting in the bathrooms and at night the windows would literally hum from the all the moths flapping their wings against the windows trying to get to the lights.

the theory is the lights distract them from the moon which they used to navigate to the alps, then bats etc eat them. I have seen this in practice - moths gather around street lights and the bats hang out nearby and just fly through the cloud of bugs like a whale shark on a school of fish.

the last time I was there during this period, maybe 10yrs ago, I saw maybe 2 moths total.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BullandBaird/status/1490851374078251009

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Creating great content

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I mean, the nuclear power looks rad.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we got any 'things arent as bad as expected' tweets to balance it out a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

product advertising is an Olympic tradition and occidentals are just mad the Chinese are selling nuclear power plants instead of coke