Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

coronatae posted:

I will never understand the Disney adults. I saw a walkthrough of someone's house where each room was a different movie theme and it seemed very exhausting.

What fools. I've based my house decor around the oevre of Ralph Bakshi. This room is Mighty Mouse, through there is Fritz the Cat, upstairs is Cool World and we, uh, we might skip the guest rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

if i'm serving food you get the half that's closest to you. or the half that i leave you to get for yourself. it never even occurred to me that there might be good and bad bits to pick out, probably 'cuz it's just all bad

It also seems weird that he apparently burns food every single meal. I’m not chef and I don’t burn or ruin parts of my food regularly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

You'd have to deliberately save the front end piece from when you open the bag until when you get to the other end piece.

this happens naturally when you don't like the end pieces but don't hate them enough to justify summarily throwing them away

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It also seems weird that he apparently burns food every single meal. I’m not chef and I don’t burn or ruin parts of my food regularly.

The text is more nuanced than that. It's not always burned -- the husband just always manages to snatch pettiness from the jaws of equity.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

My husband [39M] always serves me [34F] the off-cuts, burnt parts, etc of dinner

stab him, become the alpha, take his food for yourself

I want to believe he’s serving her the burnt ends of a brisket, the burt potatoes and crust at the bottom of a pot of Persian rice, the heel ends of crusty peasant bread, etc and she doesn’t realize she’s getting the best parts.

A Persian family I knew had a neighbor who thought they hated her for years because every time she came over, they gave her the burnt potatoes from the bottom of the tadiq. Basically they were giving her the best part of the dish to honor her every time she came over but because nobody ever explained it to her she thought it was a snub.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember some Lifetime movies about this poo poo too.

Probably some Law and Order poo poo too.

AITA for refusing to make my friend’s baby a handmade item?

Pull a fairy tale deal on her: offer her the outfit in exchange for the baby.

Also an X-Files episode

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

this happens naturally when you don't like the end pieces but don't hate them enough to justify summarily throwing them away

My wife saves the ends and will attempt to use them, but I hate the ends of sliced grocery store bread and so if I notice that we have just ends left and there is another loaf they go to the chickens.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

I want to believe he’s serving her the burnt ends of a brisket, the burt potatoes and crust at the bottom of a pot of Persian rice, the heel ends of crusty peasant bread, etc and she doesn’t realize she’s getting the best parts.

A Persian family I knew had a neighbor who thought they hated her for years because every time she came over, they gave her the burnt potatoes from the bottom of the tadiq. Basically they were giving her the best part of the dish to honor her every time she came over but because nobody ever explained it to her she thought it was a snub.

so what culture prizes the wilted leaves in bagged salad mix?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

so what culture prizes the wilted leaves in bagged salad mix?
Rabbits

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for lashing out at my husband for using a picture of my son as his phone's homescreen-wallpaper?

quote:

I got married to my husband 4 months ago, I have a 5 year old son from my previous marriage and my husband adores him.

We were out at the diner last night and I asked my husband for his phone to check payment options for our meal. I unlocked the screen and saw my son's pic set as the homescreen wallpaper. I asked my husband how long it's been there and he said 2 months. I got upset and pointed out that it was not wise of him to use a pic of my son as his homescreen wallpaper for strangers to see.

He said pretty much, almost no one touches his phone so I shouldn't worry about my son's pic seen by strangers. I told him they don't have to touch his phone to see his iphone homescreen. he said I should relax because it's not like he posted it on social media and besides that he only used my son's pic as his homescreen wallpaper to be able to look at him all the time because he misses him when he's at work. I demanded he remove it but he said no. I insisted and an argument ensued to the point where I got up, paid my part of the bill then walked out of the restaurant.

He decided to stay at a hotel because he was "overwhelmed" and texted me about how deeply I hurt him and told me he removed the picture entirely from his phone if that would make me happy. then went on to say I overreacted and by the looks of it, he's expecting an apology from ME!! after what happened.

was ITA or was he?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA For telling my boyfriend to take back the car he surprised me with?

quote:

Using my new throwaway account just in case. Okay I (26f) my BF (33m) surprised me with a brand new car about a month ago. I was super happy and very appreciative. My old car was working fine but it was outdated but I never complained about it. Me and my bf never really argue but these last few days have been bad.

I assume it’s because he is stressed at work so he comes home and drinks and that makes him not physical but just very loud and obnoxious. Everything he says it’s always “I just bought you a brand new car and you should be worshipping me” he has been saying that a lot.

As I was trying to sell my old car, I had a couple of people interested and they decided they didn’t want it. My Bf was furious, he acted like it was my fault they didn’t want it and he said whatever money I get from the car needs to go to him.

Which is logical but I never asked him to buy me a car, I never complained about my old one. I was tired of the rude comments he would make so I told him the only reason he bought me the car is so he can have something over my head and I told him to sell the new car or return it. He called me an ungrateful bitch. I never raised my voice to him EVER this whole thing is frustrating. He hasn’t spoken to me all day. So AITA for this?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for lashing out at my husband for using a picture of my son as his phone's homescreen-wallpaper?

"I'm really pissed that my husband enjoys being a step-dad" or "my husband should have me as a background instead of my son"?

Or something else? There feel like some real gaps here.
Like... why is it "not wise of him to use a pic of my son as his homescreen wallpaper for strangers to see."

Is their marriage a secret? Is OP's new husband a sex offender that isn't supposed to be around children? Something is very strange here.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Kenshin posted:

"I'm really pissed that my husband enjoys being a step-dad" or "my husband should have me as a background instead of my son"?

Or something else? There feel like some real gaps here.
Like... why is it "not wise of him to use a pic of my son as his homescreen wallpaper for strangers to see."

Is their marriage a secret? Is OP's new husband a sex offender that isn't supposed to be around children? Something is very strange here.

quote:

It is different to me because there are places my son can't go and God knows where my husband hangs during the day from bars to gas stations full of all types of people that are just creeps.

lady's just a bit mental

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

lady's just a bit mental

Dude needs to GTFO and probably take the kid because god drat lol

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

therobit posted:

My wife saves the ends and will attempt to use them, but I hate the ends of sliced grocery store bread and so if I notice that we have just ends left and there is another loaf they go to the chickens.

I've always operated under the theory that leaving the heels on the bread keeps the better bits inside fresher, so a lot of times we get down to just the two heels and then pitch them. No idea if that's scientifically accurate though.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Silly Newbie posted:

I've always operated under the theory that leaving the heels on the bread keeps the better bits inside fresher, so a lot of times we get down to just the two heels and then pitch them. No idea if that's scientifically accurate though.

I keep the ends in the bag for the exact same reason!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
You're supposed to save the heels for french toast, you fools.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

^^^
No way in hell. I want good bread for French toast.

Silly Newbie posted:

It sounds plausible but my wife definitely thinks they are OK to use but won’t use them until all the rest of the bread is gone. To be fair, I know tossing them is wasteful as gently caress, but I’m capable of convincing myself that if the chickens eat it then it turns into eggs and is therefore not as wasteful.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For telling my boyfriend to take back the car he surprised me with?

In the comments, it's revealed that the title was switched over to OP. Her parents are also saying to take the car and ditch the rear end in a top hat. Very good parents.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

therobit posted:

^^^
No way in hell. I want good bread for French toast.

It sounds plausible but my wife definitely thinks they are OK to use but won’t use them until all the rest of the bread is gone. To be fair, I know tossing them is wasteful as gently caress, but I’m capable of convincing myself that if the chickens eat it then it turns into eggs and is therefore not as wasteful.

I'm not as picky with my bread as the rest of the house, so I frequently have sandwiches that are last good slice + heel on top. Doesn't bother me.
Couldn't see using the ends for french toast, though, you need bread with as much non-crust surface area as possible for the mix to soak through right.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Silly Newbie posted:

If the bread butts are pressed up against the other slices, sure, it can reduce the surface area exposed to the atmosphere and reduce the staling slightly. Most important thing is to not touch the bread with your hands. Touching with hands = moldy faster.

Bread butts are my favorite part fwiw. :3:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Just, like, turn the bread heel around on your sandwich so the crust is on the inside? Like, yeah you can taste it a bit more but if you're eating bread in a sandwich it's probably bread you like so uh yeah why waste it? I will admit though to getting down to where it's the last slice left and it's maybe a bit dry, then the dogs get it.

Also that lady with the husband feeding her the crap parts, wtf. I always give people who come over, or my wife, or whatever, the 'best parts'. Like, food sharing and offering is such a big ingrained part of living in a society I can't even imagine doing it the other way around.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Also that lady with the husband feeding her the crap parts, wtf. I always give people who come over, or my wife, or whatever, the 'best parts'. Like, food sharing and offering is such a big ingrained part of living in a society I can't even imagine doing it the other way around.
Same. If I'm cooking for my partner and I, I always serve up two identical-as-possible plates and then allow her to choose which plate she takes.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITA for having my (25F) uncle (56M) arrested?

quote:

So I moved into my apartment (I own) back in 2020. I keep to a very minimalist lifestyle so I don't actually own very much at all, but what I do own, I like it to be a good investment for the long run (relevant for later).

I ran into a plumbing issue that wasn't easy to fix- at least not for me who knows 0 about plumbing. I called my uncle asking if he could help.

He came over with my aunt to take a look at what was going on and... I don't like her. There are quite a few reasons, she took my grandmothers ring despite it being willed to me, she pushes over people to get what she wants. She uses her mother's death as an excuse, always leaving out that her father & she were, according to those who knew them then, exceptionally cruel to the mother.

My uncle used to be really great until she came along, now he bends to her every whim. I digress.

She comes and complains that it looks like I am dirt poor. That I have minimal funishings and that it looks "uptight". I say I'd rather make memories than have stuff and leave it there.

Then she notices my silver box I keep my sterling flatware in. Now, this is just me, I spent a good year or so saving money to buy nice flatware. My reasoning was it will grow in value, I can pass it along to my children and it will, or can, last a long time.

She starts asking me what's in it and I brush her off. She keeps on, as she does, and I say it's heirlooms (not true but still). She keeps on and on and I break saying it's flatware.

She then asks me how many places settings and I say I can't remember. She goes on to say she has this "small" dinner party and can she borrow it and I say no. She pouts the rest of the time.

They leave with my uncle saying he needs a few tools and a specific part to fix my plumbing and he will come back later. I thank him and say bye.

We arrange for about a week later for him to come back with a key I left in the lockbox since I would be working.

I come home. I look around. My drat silver box is missing and I know EXACTLY who it was.

I call the police I give all the information and show them photos I took for insurance. Long story short my box was in their dining room when they showed up and my uncle is arrested for theft.

My aunt keeps calling me screeching at me that I am horrible for this and going to hell for giving him a criminal record. I say she should have thought about that before she made him do that not being able to take no as an answer. The silver itself is a rarer pattern and not easily replaceable. She threw my comment back in my face saying "I thought you wanted memories? It's just stuff". I hung up on her.

Here's where I think I am TA, my uncle only did it because of my aunt in my opinion. So I am effectively punishing someone who wouldn't have done it with out the influence. then I get mad all over again and think what a breach of trust it is and feel fine.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: for clarification regarding the ring, I'll just put my comment up here because it got buried:

It went "missing" for quite a while. I didn't actually know my aunt had taken it until I saw her wearing it at a family function years later.

She tried to play it off that it was a different ring and I didn't have the money, time or willpower to deal with it at the time with school and everything.

My mom was dealing with cancer so I just put it on the back burner.

Also Edit 2: I didn't call them or try to retreive it myself because of the ring. I didn't want it to go missing if I gave them the heads up.

Thank you for all the replies so far!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

edgeman83 posted:

AITA for having my (25F) uncle (56M) arrested?

It's the Uncle's fault the uncle got arrested. NTA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kenshin posted:

Same. If I'm cooking for my partner and I, I always serve up two identical-as-possible plates and then allow her to choose which plate she takes.

Do you then say, "You chose poorly" and laugh maniacally?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for picking my husband up from the airport in a 2 seater car?

quote:

I decided to surprise my husband by picking him up at the airport. The car I went to pick him up in is a 2 seater which I thought would be fine but he was annoyed and thought I had chosen that car on purpose so that I wouldn’t have to offer Samantha a ride home. Samantha works for him but is also a family friend of his. I’m not her biggest fan but it never even crossed my mind when I thought about surprising him.

In the end, Samantha had to take an uber home but that was after my husband offered to drop her home first and then come back for me, which really upset me.

My husband told me I should’ve been more thoughtful and not let old grudges cloud my judgement. We had a fight because I was angry that he had turned something I thought was nice into me being thoughtless.

AITA?

Husband and Samantha are totally banging, aren't they?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Double post, but gently caress this guy!

AITA for not liking a low-effort birthday gift my girlfriend got me?

quote:

Saturday was my (21/M) birthday. My girlfriend (21/F) got me a cashmere scarf and gloves from a relatively high-end store in my city.

The problem is the scarf isn't my style and I have no use for gloves (mittens specifically) as winter is ending here soon. I'm feeling a type of negative way as I spent close to 500 getting her boots and perfume for her birthday a few years ago. She could tell I wasn't happy and asked me if I liked the gift. I told her I didn't and that I was having a pretty good birthday until she got me that gift.

She looked hurt, but to be honest the gift was pretty impersonal, as if it doesn't seem like she even put much thought into it. For some background, she has some family issues that prevent her from having as much disposable income as I do, and until now it didn't really bother me but honestly it's preventing us from really doing anything worthwhile. It just sucks because I've never imagined having someone who loves me so unconditionally. Other than her money situation, she's the perfect girlfriend.

She called me this morning after a day and a half of radio silence to say she was bothered by me telling her the gift ruined my birthday, and that she wants to meet in person later this week to talk. Did I overreact? Am I the rear end in a top hat? It's MY birthday and I was just being honest.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Just, like, turn the bread heel around on your sandwich so the crust is on the inside? Like, yeah you can taste it a bit more but if you're eating bread in a sandwich it's probably bread you like so uh yeah why waste it? I will admit though to getting down to where it's the last slice left and it's maybe a bit dry, then the dogs get it.

Since having kids I always cook enough for the whole family to eat twice so nobody has to eat the crappy parts. If enough of the dish is ruined that people have to eat crap it becomes takeout night. But then, I’m not actually in the habit of burning food or not cooking enough for the number of people eating.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People who care a lot about gifts are insufferable

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
r/relationships: Other than her money situation, she's the perfect girlfriend.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zzulu posted:

People who care a lot about gifts are insufferable

I care a lot about gifts in that I don't want to receive them. When people (MiL) insist, they usually give me a bunch of 'stuff' that's not even good enough to donate (hat made of Ikea bag material), when I'd be so much happier with the tiniest Lego set.

MiL just spent $14 to mail wife a wire napkin holder, forceps, and some pecans. We'll eat the pecans, at least.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Snacks are a serious business!

AITA for being pissed off at my girlfriend for licking ALL the oreos??

quote:

This is so stupid. We mostly get along great but this one issue is driving me loving crazy.

Yesterday I went to get myself a couple of oreos and I noticed that they looked like they were taken apart and put back together. The cream was smeared/gone from a couple. My gf confirmed that she licked Every. Single. One. of them and put them back in the box. She kept saying "just eat your cholocate chips!" but that's not the point. It's not hygienic having licked food just laying around the house like that. It's just gross.

Today she's doubling down. When the groceries came, she opened her chips in front of me, licked one of them all over, like just slobbered all over it, then put in back in the bag and shook it up. Now I can't eat any of them because I don't know which ones have spit on them.

GF says I'm the AH for not letting this go, but I can't it's so gross.

Edit: I just want to clarify a few things:

They're not HER snacks. We pick our own snacks, but we pay for groceries together, so technically they're all OUR snacks.

I usually try to eat the ones I picked first, but sometimes I run out, or get bored of the same thing. She's welcome to have mine if she wanted.

She never finishes her snacks. She eats like a bird, while I work out and need a lot more calories. It makes no sense for her to hoard snacks that she will never finish before they go bad.

OP posted:

Usually we have separate snacks. But sometimes I get the munchies and I might be out of my snacks. It just feels weird to have totally separate food when we're the same household.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Willow posted:

Snacks are a serious business!

AITA for being pissed off at my girlfriend for licking ALL the oreos??

Why are you dating a 12 year old OP?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

8one6 posted:

Why are you dating a 12 year old OP?

He eats her oreos unless she does this. Yes, she has clearly expressed her wish that he should not. She pays for half the groceries and he eats most of them.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Love the way the edit causes a 180 change to the reader's opinion.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my husband. My money is mine?

quote:

My husband and I had triplets (all boys) about 2 yrs. after we got married. They had some health issues. Because of that my husband wanted me to quit my job and take care of our boys and our home. Since it was cheaper than paying for specialized child care. I agreed.

Our family lives in a row of town homes (6 homes in our building) that were owned by our landlord at the time. I was offered a job cleaning town homes when a tenant moved out by our landlord. I asked my husband about it. He said that he didn’t care but he didn’t want it to “interfere” with my responsibilities at home. We also agreed the money would be mine since it’s a second job. We did this for 3 yrs. it grew into where I cleaned other places for my landlord. I just put the money into savings.

My Father in-law. Died June of 2019. When My husband received a check from his mom I asked my husband about it. He got angry and said that it his money and any future inheritance would not be part of our family budget. My husband ended up going on several trips with his brothers with the money. I was ok with that. Although I was hurt he got angry when I asked about it.

October 2021. My grandpa died. I am the only grandchild. My parents make good money so his estate was left to me. I just transferred the money. Rented out the farm land around his home. I did decide to keep his home since it is close to my parents home. I live 4 hrs away from them. I didn’t talk to my husband about it since it was “my inheritance “.

January of this year my landlord came to me and let me know he was selling the townhomes I live in. With cost rising around us I was worried about it. It would cause a major impact in our family budget. Things worked out to where I was able to use my inheritance combined with what I had saved from working to buy the building. My husband came to me and told me he wants me to deposit part of the rental income from the other town homes into our family account. Allowing more spending money for fun. I reminded him of our agreements. Along with we no longer have a rent payment. We ended up in a fight. He is saying I am being the A for not sharing the money coming in.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my husband. My money is mine?

What a healthy relationship. Does he get her to ask permission to use 'his' toothpaste too?

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Throw them in a food processor and freeze the breadcrumbs for awesome spicy fried breadcrumb chicken another day.

Can't believe that OP has put up with food stealing partner for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

sugar mouse posted:

Throw them in a food processor and freeze the breadcrumbs for awesome spicy fried breadcrumb chicken another day.

If you don’t share a recipe, you’re getting a sixer.

I would like to state for the record that this is extortion.