Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh yeah baby, can you feel that excitement in the air? It's hype season!

4 Days until the digital preload becomes available.
7 Days until the review embargo lifts.
11 Days and we'll all be playing Horizon Forbidden West!

Let's gooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm actually going to have enough time to finish my 2nd playthrough of the first game. Think I'll skip the DLC though, I have memories of not enjoying it as much as the main game due to burnout and I don't want to be having that feeling when FW drops.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Let's gooooooo

I usually finish a game before starting a new one, but I don't think it's possible for me to finish AssCreed Valhalla in such short time.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm waiting to preload/preorder until the review embargo lifts juuuuussstt in case it's a dud.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Let's gooooooo

This attack is fairly unsafe and not very realistic Aloy how are you not electrocuting yourself.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe HADES just projected a little red blob from a hidden hologram thingy to trick Sylens and is actually totally free to be the antagonist again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I hope we meet some of the other AIs directly this game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope we can hug and hold hands with Petra.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I hope there continues to be a purposeful lack of romantic options for Aloy. Just let a girl save the world.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I took a week off from work for this release and also because I was bumping up against maximum time accrued. So two birds with one heavy spear attack it is!

The last time I did this for a game was Final Fantasy XIII (yeah, go ahead and laugh). I already know I’m not getting my current project completed by then (Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark), but I don’t care. Bring me the Forbidden West!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I should take a week off because I have exactly just one week to play this poo poo before Elden Ring comes out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

zakharov posted:

I'm waiting to preload/preorder until the review embargo lifts juuuuussstt in case it's a dud.

I have zero doubts that it'll be good, but with that staggered schedule I don't know why anyone would bother preloading it a week ahead of time. Even waiting for reviews gives you days to download it. Maybe if you have to plug your playstation into the ol 56K modem, otherwise I don't know why you'd bother.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have zero doubts that it'll be good, but with that staggered schedule I don't know why anyone would bother preloading it a week ahead of time. Even waiting for reviews gives you days to download it. Maybe if you have to plug your playstation into the ol 56K modem, otherwise I don't know why you'd bother.

I have a toddler and I'm likely to forget to do it if I don't do it early!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope we can hug and hold hands with Petra.

CobiWann posted:

I hope there continues to be a purposeful lack of romantic options for Aloy. Just let a girl save the world.

I hope that both of these are true

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

No romance, but also, more gay.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i would also like to pet the robots.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

exquisite tea posted:

No romance, but also, more gay.

Platonic cuddles and handholding!

But otherwise yes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I should take a week off because I have exactly just one week to play this poo poo before Elden Ring comes out.

I had the time so I took the Fridays this and Elden Ring come out

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really hope they fix one small thing though: I don't want to hunt after foxes in the hope that they drop enough loot to make the special fast travel pouch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alhazred posted:

I really hope they fix one small thing though: I don't want to hunt after foxes in the hope that they drop enough loot to make the special fast travel pouch.

You’re going to have to hunt so much wildlife GAIA will berate you constantly for it.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
I hope more dinos are mountable. I felt betrayed when I discovered I can't ride a Ravager

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I want to play Frozen Wilds for the first time before Forbidden West comes out but I remember making the trek to the first DLC village when the ps5 update came out and having a rough time because I completely forgot the controls and flow of combat, can anyone recommend a good combat tutorial/controls refresher video?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If what you want is to see the DLC just knock the difficulty down to Story and go hog wild.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
In my current playthrough, I switched from normal to story mode and took out the first scorcher with one arrow to the weak point on its back.

(Turned it up to easy for the remainder, but I switch it to normal for the base game.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Frozen Wilds is significantly harder than the base game so if you want to blast through it in a few days maybe leave it on story mode

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Whenever Aloy and Sylens meet in person I want them riding bigger robots each time to try and one up the other one.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Absolutely this. The lack of a terrible "romance" option was a plus for the last game and I hope that trend continues. Let's face it, game devs cannot write those things for poo poo except in a handful of exceptions so just leave that stuff out of it.

For me personally, I've really come around on the ultra hard difficulty. When I first started I was really unsure if I was ever going to perservere with it because I didn't have the tools to deal with a number of threats and the bots were 2-shotting me; everything costs an absolute fortune and I was expending resources I couldn't afford on every fight. Once I realised I had to beeline a way to get all the elemental attacks and resistances available in my loadout, I spent an evening with a podcast on farming the first hunting ground for blaze cannisters with harvest arrows so that I could get a war bow, a purple melee-resist and ranged-attack-resist outfit, and put the same mods on them so they actually provided some protection against the stuff that was killing me regularly - as well as remembering to quaff the relevant potion before every fight - it all clicked. I'm going to play the sequel on the hardest difficulty possible because I feel that fighting things made of metal with bows and arrows should be that difficult to do. Plus, when you finally take down a Stormbird/Thunderjaw/Rockbreaker after using all your potions and ammo and traps and dodging out of the way properly it feels the same way as taking down a Dark Souls boss.

I'm really glad there's a story mode option for those that don't want that kind of experience though, that absolutely rocks and every game (yes, even those ones) should have that option.

Aaaahahaha loving lol at the thread title.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I was playing on hard but turned it down to story because I want to actually finish this before the new one comes out. I beat it originally when it launched but don't remember anything. Haven't ever played frozen wilds.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just got to the bit where Sylens rescues me from the arena and he actually does in fact say that he's copied my focus, so I'll stand corrected on one of my previous posts where I had obviously not remembered that little detail, saying it should have been in there when it actually was.

I might do the same (go to story mode for the DLC if I decide to do it) if the UH achievement is got after beating the main game (I'm not looking forward to that final fight...) but it's a big if that I'll even do it because gently caress those bear bots. gently caress them all to hell.

And fucktedfaro, obv.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The DLC weapons are actually super helpful and useful (especially the upgraded ice one) if you're willing to drop fat stacks on the Blaze/Chillwater/Shocker to keep them babies fed

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Really hoping that we don't have to endure any romance storylines for Aloy in HFW. I have no interests other than killing dinobots in rad ways, listening to audio logs in spooky ruins and passive-aggressive discussions with Sylens

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm fine if there's more flirtatious dialogue that I can obliviously power straight through without noticing either in or out of game, until someone points it out later

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I hope there's a 4-minute long explicit sex scene between Aloy and Sylens. And that's it.

They just have to get it out of their systems.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
One thing that helped me a lot in the dlc was realising it is best to dodgeroll towards fire/frostclaws when they lunge at you. you end up rolling between their legs and get positioned behind them to shock their asses.

Nowadays i have multiple sets of the dlc mods, so i can have a nora protector outfit with max melee and fire or frost resistance, like it was made for wrestling with bears.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 8, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just as a heads up, there are a couple small leaks making their way around the internet right now (menu screen, etc.) that will probably balloon as the review embargo lifts. After February 14th it's basically going to be open season on spoiler dodging.

This would be a good time to start logging out of your Horizon-facing media accounts if you're worried about seeing something ahead of time, as this is a game that will probably be very easily spoiled. I won't be posting any leaked content ITT!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

exquisite tea posted:

Just as a heads up, there are a couple small leaks making their way around the internet right now (menu screen, etc.) that will probably balloon as the review embargo lifts. After February 14th it's basically going to be open season on spoiler dodging.

This would be a good time to start logging out of your Horizon-facing media accounts if you're worried about seeing something ahead of time, as this is a game that will probably be very easily spoiled. I won't be posting any leaked content ITT!

Fake spoilers. Go.

Aloy will be able to tame and ride a Glinthawk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ashpanash posted:

I hope there's a 4-minute long explicit sex scene between Aloy and Sylens. And that's it.

They just have to get it out of their systems.

it’s a quick time event

CobiWann posted:

Fake spoilers. Go.

Aloy dies in the first five minutes and you actually play as a clone of Ted Faro named Raiden.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Fake spoilers. Go.

Aloy gets murdered in the first chapter, as a comeuppance for her previous transgressions. Erend goes on a vengeance spree, tracking down Aloy’s murderers one-by-one.

The second half of the game you actually play as Aloy’s killer, and realize the people you’ve been murdering as Erend had good reason to hunt down Aloy and are just normal humans. At the end, you must decide as Erend: save your last remaining humanity and forgo killing the Aloy murderer, or kill the last Aloy murderer, completing your vengeance for Aloy’s death.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

RedSnapper posted:

I hope more dinos are mountable.

I know people want more romantic options, but this might go a little too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Red Blight is revealed to be the work of a nefarious second clone, West Coast Aloy, who has secretly been working to undo all the good you accomplished in the first game