Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Add in either fighting mechanics or logic-based dialogue combat, boom problem solved

The Bigs had a minigame where one player controls the coach trying to argue with the umpire to change his call, and the other player controls the umpire and can throw him out of the game if the coach crosses a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I check the star citizen thread every so often to see how things are going. Looking good!

Good to know that the slug people from bloodborne made it to space.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Waste of Breath posted:

Adding challenges to sports games is stupid because it's either adding wrong calls and testing the player's ability to assess based on whatever viewpoint the game decides to give you, or just a pitfall. Realism to the detriment of the medium.

I mean, it depends on your utility from the game. Is it to "make the most baseball-like video game experience following the rules of good video game design" or "simulate accurately a game of baseball, within the restrictions of a video game" (that is; is it a baseball experience first, or a video game first?)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Neito posted:

I mean, it depends on your utility from the game. Is it to "make the most baseball-like video game experience following the rules of good video game design" or "simulate accurately a game of baseball, within the restrictions of a video game" (that is; is it a baseball experience first, or a video game first?)

I think it's a waste of time to add things like artificial challenges for the sake of reality if you can literally program umpires to make the right call every time. That's why we have silly poo poo like that clip. I think it would be different if the deciding factor wasn't something caused by a fallible human, but when you have the ability to break down any decision to a 1 or a 0, creating human qualities in an artificial way is difficult.

But another thought I had too was how you can create AI to make bad decisions or drop easy balls is probably done on some sort of dice roll combined with a specific stat. Does that get applied to umpires in game too maybe?

I dunno, it just seems ridiculous to me to have these things in game when it's all done by a computer, which is what some people wish it was in real life anyways to get rid of things like replays or challenges.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

cage-free egghead posted:

I think it's a waste of time to add things like artificial challenges for the sake of reality if you can literally program umpires to make the right call every time.

Are the umpires part of the game, or are they a thing outside of the game? The existence of challenges here implies that the developers of that game think the umps are part of it. It would also be valid to make a game where the umpires are simply the means by which the computer relays its measurements of gameplay to the player, and that would also be valid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sports game with steroids and drug tests plz

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Oops! All umpires!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I mentioned this in some other thread about video games, but I found that in Mafia III, the more memory that was being occupied by other poo poo (streaming Netflix and Hulu with an absurd number of open tabs on another monitor in my case when I learned this trick) the longer it would take to spawn enemies. However, mission-specific objects would spawn immediately. So if the mission was to fight my way through 100 rednecks just to steal a briefcase, I frequently could get in and out before anyone appeared.

However, this trick was really unreliable. More often than not, it would just spawn all the enemies right when I was in the middle of them and they would just tear me to poo poo with a single unified shotgun blast from all angles.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

I mentioned this in some other thread about video games, but I found that in Mafia III, the more memory that was being occupied by other poo poo (streaming Netflix and Hulu with an absurd number of open tabs on another monitor in my case when I learned this trick) the longer it would take to spawn enemies. However, mission-specific objects would spawn immediately. So if the mission was to fight my way through 100 rednecks just to steal a briefcase, I frequently could get in and out before anyone appeared.

However, this trick was really unreliable. More often than not, it would just spawn all the enemies right when I was in the middle of them and they would just tear me to poo poo with a single unified shotgun blast from all angles.

please try to get a clip of that lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://clips.twitch.tv/YummyGleamingCookieHeyGuys-eykZ4uqcAv5ZYxgQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

did hitting the sword kill him?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

did hitting the sword kill him?

While die-hards claim that dodging is a better combat style, the video shows just how viable parrying can be.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh does the lore screen thing mean he won even though he died? sorry its just a very short clip and i havent played dark souls(?) so i lack the context

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh does the lore screen thing mean he won even though he died? sorry its just a very short clip and i havent played dark souls(?) so i lack the context

nah I'm saying the statue obviously got gud at parrying

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Carthag Tuek posted:

The lore screen happens during load times. In the clip, he runs up to the statue and hits it because it's supposed to be an illusory wall that disappears. Instead, he gets teleported way out of bounds and dies instantly (because the statue got gud at parrying)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah! thanks both :)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

credburn posted:

this sounds like a real nightmare for speedrunners

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Doc Hawkins posted:

this sounds like a real nightmare for speedrunners

any% NN (Netflix no)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like if you push the button to challenge there, the game should just go "oh so you're going to be that kind of manager, huh?" and you get to watch your coach get into a real-time 15 minute argument with the umpire that he eventually loses.

No no, this is modern baseball, he gets thrown out of the game

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

mandatory lesbian posted:

No no, this is modern baseball, he gets thrown out of the game

It can be both, and often is.

I for one miss Lou Pinnella. :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best use of the kinect ever was sports game ls saying "the manager is getting heated!" Or tossing you unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when it detected swearing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Barudak posted:

The best use of the kinect ever was sports game ls saying "the manager is getting heated!" Or tossing you unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when it detected swearing.

Lmao that rules

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC it was an NBA game and it would call a technical foul on you

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Barudak posted:

That's loving awesome lol

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Christ, why can't they do that with game chat now?

I'm not saying to scan for general swearing, but are you telling me we can't get an algorithm to recognize the N word? And maybe not punish in game, but maybe filter on matchmaking?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

I'm not saying to scan for general swearing, but are you telling me we can't get an algorithm to recognize the N word? And maybe not punish in game, but maybe filter on matchmaking?

battlefield V’s chat word blacklist was created by an algorithm based on the words it thought were part of hostile communication instead of a human-verified list, and it censored the text “uhh” while letting the N word through lol

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's more or less inevitable that any kind of machine-learning system will absorb a non-zero amount of bias from its creators, and when you take an already biased system and let gamers teach it, of course you're going to end up with something that is both stupid and racist :v:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CzarChasm posted:

Because if you start punishing slurs in English, you have to be careful so you aren't punishing people talking in other languages. It's already an issue in text chat, adding speech detection is going to make it a lot worse with accents and false positives due to non optimal environment.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Algorithm banning the n-word also starts banning chinese players saying "that one"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hel posted:

Because if you start punishing slurs in English, you have to be careful so you aren't punishing people talking in other languages. It's already an issue in text chat, adding speech detection is going to make it a lot worse with accents and false positives due to non optimal environment.

Also you can just ask what flavor the blue can of Pringles are

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

thecluckmeme posted:

Also you can just ask what flavor the blue can of Pringles are

Salt and vinegar?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Now say "vinegar" out loud and imagine an AI's reaction to that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Intel seems to have tried this a while back but I don't know if anything ever came of it. The toggle is just a masterstroke of poor design.

"Doktor, release my N-Word inhibitors!"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, its all a very overcomplicated solution to "disable chat by default", the thing statistically the vast majority of players either prefer or don't care about.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Add those controls to various websites and programs. Set all of them to max but have them do nothing. Ban everyone who tries to release their slur inhibitors.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

There's also the issue of companies just being dumb and lazy. I know Capcom used one universal banlist for non-JP users, so words like "bite" in Monster Hunter was banned because it meant "cock" in French or some poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

monster hunter tri’s universal censor included the word “after” because of german or something, leading to exchanges like “after this, let’s do something else” reading as “[censored] this, let’s do something else”

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Barudak posted:

I mean, its all a very overcomplicated solution to "disable chat by default", the thing statistically the vast majority of players either prefer or don't care about.

I'd love to see numbers on this, preferably via telemetry and broken down by genre of game. Wherever the subject comes up the conversation is dominated by people with seething contempt for chat and people who use it, but I can never tell if that's goons being misanthropic elitists, everyone who shares their opinion being a competitive moba player or whatever, or if that's actually representative of gamers in general and I'm the weird one. Because I can't remember the last time I ran across a high enough concentration of assholes that muting/teamkilling them was enough work to even consider disabling chat entirely and missing out on meltdowns from people I kill, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
grass assassin