Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

Is there a healer class in Lost Ark? Ever since holy bolt in Diablo, I thought it would be fun to play a healer in an isometric ARPG.

bard and paladin are the 'healers' but they still do a lot of attacking and stuff, they just also throw in heals/buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah paladin is more like a lucio from overwatch kinda deal. you're in there doign damage an stuff and you have aoe abilities that pulse out healing and buffs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe this one will be good then!

(I know the answer)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lost Ark is a good MMORPG everyone!!!!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
How is this possible? I was told MMOs cannot be good.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

:sickos:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
There will only ever be two good MMOs. The first is the one you remember fondly from your youth. The other is the amazing MMO you have designed in your head which thankfully will never be made as you would find out it's actually utter trash.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GI_Clutch posted:

The other is the amazing MMO you have designed in your head which thankfully will never be made as you would find out it's actually utter trash.

The MMO where everyone watches my character get graphically stepped on by a series of 60 foot tall attractive ork women turns out to have poor gameplay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GI_Clutch posted:

There will only ever be two good MMOs. The first is the one you remember fondly from your youth. The other is the amazing MMO you have designed in your head which thankfully will never be made as you would find out it's actually utter trash.

Anarchy Online released though! :saddowns:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if Im going to play Lost Ark tbh. It looks fun, but I feel like Ill play it for a week and instead make a PoE character.

I'm gonna watch some streams and maybe itll sell me. I think what puts me off is the daily cap on those endgame dungeons

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
double post

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

eonwe posted:

I'm not sure if Im going to play Lost Ark tbh. It looks fun, but I feel like Ill play it for a week and instead make a PoE character.

I'm gonna watch some streams and maybe itll sell me. I think what puts me off is the daily cap on those endgame dungeons

Same boat. I’m going to play it for free on Friday, go in with an open mind and if it gets its hooks in me, cool. If not, no harm done.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way, no shade towards anyone excited for it. I'm glad!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

But it’s an ARpg!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rexicon1 posted:

But it’s an ARpg!!!

It isn't though

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

kirbysuperstar posted:

It isn't though

How so? That's how it looked to me on every video I've seen. I'm interested in what makes it not Diablo, because that's my main hangup about it atm.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went ahead and got it

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Anyone going into Lost Ark expecting a diablo-esque arpg will be sorely disappointed, or at least I would. To me arpgs have this signature feel of plowing through hordes of monsters to rapidly explore levels while scouring them of loot.

While the combat in Lost Ark is totally fine, kill times are too long and density is too low for an arpg feel. The loot is there but is extremely boring.

In the over world you're going from poi to poi doing the most generic MMO-style quests with extremely sparse and unsatisfying bouts of combat compared to arpgs.

Dungeons are much better in this sense, at times getting very close to an arpg feel. The combat flow still has some issues and the addictive feel of rapid exploration where maps flow into others is absent in one-off dungeons.

This is based on me playing the beta to like level 30, so obviously anything endgame is completely absent here, but if you go into the first 10 hours of Lost Ark expecting an arpg you will be disappointed and bored. If you go into it expecting a Korean isometric MMO, you will probably be pleasantly surprised and have a much better time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I got weirded out by the game since I picked summoner or something and it was a girl who kept picking up new kinds of panties to wear as equipment

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

eonwe posted:

eonwe posted:

by the way, no shade towards anyone excited for it. I'm glad!

eonwe posted:

I went ahead and got it

The cycle that goons go through with MMOs is amazing to watch at times.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I have bought every everquest expansion for 22 years and I will continue to do so until the day I die (of a stroke from camping something for six straight days)

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Zil posted:

FOMO is a hell of a drug.

Go get ‘em, eonwe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blatman posted:

I have bought every everquest expansion for 22 years and I will continue to do so until the day I die (of a stroke from camping something for six straight days)

I've only played P99 since my old EQ days and it blew my mind how many they were up to - YouTube recommended the newest announcement trailer because I was watching those dev interviews. Only MMO I'm looking forward to is if they roll out a new green server.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 8, 2022

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zil posted:

lol

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've only played P99 since my old EQ days and it blew my mind how many they were up to - YouTube recommended the newest announcement trailer because I was watching those dev interviews. Only MMO I'm looking forward to is if they roll out a new green server.

new green server might make me take an actual break from the official servers tbh but I haven't seen any talk about a p99 fresh start

I think my dream server is p99 with FV trading rules so all the no-trade stuff is tradeable and the economy is a dumpster fire within a month of launch

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zil posted:

You drink a brown liquid out of a cup when you are a kid and it's the most flavorful and addictive chocolate milkshake you have ever tasted, and ever since then you at least take a sip of anything given to you in the same style because there is a small chance it might not be pond water.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
My dream MMO is a hybrid between TAKP and p99.

No Luclin, that expansion is straight skipped. Maybe Ssra is put into some corner of norrath.

No PoK, no PoTranq but all of the other planes are in with their entrances spread around the world. Go to the plane of disease via the qeynos sewers, go to tower of sol ro via the temple in lavastorm. That sorta thing.

Everything is left at its existing difficulty and Quarm is the nigh impossible final boss in plane of time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What convinced me was two things,

1. Its $15, and I know I can get a week of fun out of it. Not sure why I was treating this like I had to get infinite fun or it had to replace FFXIV or something
2. my friends want me to play

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Yeah the silver pack is pretty reasonable, only reason I’m not getting it is I would love to play early but I literally won’t have time to play until Friday anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, tell us if it’s any good/fun.

Personally I don’t really like the “SLAY A THOUSAND DEMONS IN 15 SECONDS” gameplay of Diablo 3, and I loving hate PoE‘a weird optimization poo poo (also it’s very ugly). I quite enjoy mindless rote MMO questing to chill out on so I hope it’s not total poo poo.

Things I’m worried about:
-monetization
-being given 200 special potions and scrolls and a gift of a billion gold pieces at level 1, to hook you like a drug addict
-not being able to quickly and reliably do group content. I love a dungeon finder, okay?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

eonwe posted:

What convinced me was two things,

1. Its $15, and I know I can get a week of fun out of it. Not sure why I was treating this like I had to get infinite fun or it had to replace FFXIV or something
2. my friends want me to play

your friends hate your 15 dollars

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

jokes posted:

-not being able to quickly and reliably do group content. I love a dungeon finder, okay?

It has a dungeon finder right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DaitoX posted:

It has a dungeon finder right?

Man I hope so

Also how’s the dressup

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jokes posted:

Man I hope so

Also how’s the dressup

Very barebones for now.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Third World Reagan posted:

I got weirded out by the game since I picked summoner or something and it was a girl who kept picking up new kinds of panties to wear as equipment

Are you serious?

What game is this and where do i buy it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

FreeWifi!! posted:

Are you serious?

What game is this and where do i buy it

if im reading right that's lost ark, either pay 15 bucks and play it now or wait until friday and play it for free, there's a thread for it on this subforum that's good content and has a lot of useful information

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It isn't though

Oh yea? Prove it

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Rexicon1 posted:

Oh yea? Prove it

Having played it for a bit yesterday, it's definitely an MMO at its core that takes inspiration from ARPGs in camera angle and volume of enemies. It's very much a fetching bear asses and riding from quest to quest game versus the loot piñata combat fest, but I'm enjoying it. The PC Gamer review goes into more depth if you're curious.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Having played it for a bit yesterday, it's definitely an MMO at its core that takes inspiration from ARPGs in camera angle and volume of enemies. It's very much a fetching bear asses and riding from quest to quest game versus the loot piñata combat fest, but I'm enjoying it. The PC Gamer review goes into more depth if you're curious.

MMOARPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

(Just to be clear I’m actually having fun with lost ark but I’m just goofin with the fact that video game genres are stupid but we all kinda work with a stunted vocabulary)