Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elden Ring is by George R R Martin which means it's never coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gently caress

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

no, it can't be mitigated. the game's a trial in getting to the end before you literally die of old age. make it through with [x] continues

Ah drat, so that means if you reach stage 3 or something with like 60 lives, you should just start a new game then?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Artelier posted:

Ah drat, so that means if you reach stage 3 or something with like 60 lives, you should just start a new game then?

I may have misunderstood, but I thought you could replay levels to try to do them in fewer years. So if you finish level 1 and 25 and then level 2 and 60, you can replay level 2 again until you get a more reasonable age out of it. So basically playing levels over until you feel your age is low enough to last the rest of the game.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Kinda getting bored with Dying Light 2, I keep wanting it to be Prototype and it keeps letting me down. Are there any games like Prototype 1/2 on Steam?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

Levels permanently save the lowest age you completed them at. So if you eat poo poo a bunch on Level 4 and age from like 30 to 60, you'll start Level 5 at age 60 but you can go back and redo level 4 at any time and hopefully clear it with fewer deaths and next time you go into Level 5 you'll be at a younger age. It's one of those mechanics that sounds confusing on paper (I read like 4 reviews and didn't get it) but the game's UI and seeing it in action makes it pretty clear cut.

edit: it works out pretty well. If you're struggling in Level 3 as a 40-year-old, you can focus on getting gud and banging your head against the wall of Level 3, OR you can go back and improve your runs through Level 1 and 2 so you're starting 3 at more of an advantage. I don't think it's as punishing in practice as it sounds on paper -- what it really does is give you the option of going back and perfecting the challenges that you previously struggled with in order to increase your odds of beating the current stage. First time through Level 1 the stage boss loving clobbered me and I ended somewhere in my 40s, now I can beat him in my sleep and I've cleared the level at age 23.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 8, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

goferchan posted:

Levels permanently save the lowest age you completed them at. So if you eat poo poo a bunch on Level 4 and age from like 30 to 60, you'll start Level 5 at age 60 but you can go back and redo level 4 at any time and hopefully clear it with fewer deaths and next time you go into Level 5 you'll be at a younger age. It's one of those mechanics that sounds confusing on paper (I read like 4 reviews and didn't get it) but the game's UI and seeing it in action makes it pretty clear cut.

Ah okay! That makes it clear, thank you. I was also going through reviews and not getting it which is why I was asking.

Alright, sounds good enough for me to pick up! I was worried I'd have to keep restarting the game or keep grinding early on to keep upgrades before "really" starting a new run.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, I have played it. Without any unlocks and with all unlocks. The difference that made was huge and the fact that it's not quite as bad as most roguelites doesn't mean anything because most roguelites are complete trash.

As an expert on this game who has mastered it what tips can you give? How did you unlock everything so fast?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Kinda getting bored with Dying Light 2, I keep wanting it to be Prototype and it keeps letting me down. Are there any games like Prototype 1/2 on Steam?

Saints row 4, kinda. I mean not entirely but it’s closer to that than it is to GTA at that point, lots of leaping around a city using super powers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

Ah okay! That makes it clear, thank you. I was also going through reviews and not getting it which is why I was asking.

Alright, sounds good enough for me to pick up! I was worried I'd have to keep restarting the game or keep grinding early on to keep upgrades before "really" starting a new run.

Yeah I added some more in an edit after you quoted. Basically I'd think of it along the lines of an old arcade game where you're stockpiling lives/continues for the later, harder stages, except you have the option of going back and replaying any stage at any point and clearing it using fewer lives. There is also a metaprogression aspect re: upgrades but it's handled in an interesting way -- you can sink just a little XP into a skill to unlock it for the current run, or sink a bunch more into it to unlock it permanently. By the end of a run I think you'd get enough XP to completely unlock almost everything, but the permaunlocks let you tackle those earlier stages with new moves.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm playing part 4 of Sorcery right now and I'm really liking it so far. Just for the record though: Whoever said the Sun Serpent was trapped and it doesn't matter whether you kill it was wrong. It did get the message through to Mampang.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Prototype 1/2 are actually on steam! But they're like old ports, and judging by the reviews they have some issues on modern systems, but if you're really jonesing for that specific thing, you can just get those again and put in some work to get 'em running.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What is the best wireless controller for my Bluetoothless pc? I’m using a wired 360 controller and between it and my wired headphones and keyboard I have a constant tangled mess.

I am luddite.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

sponges posted:

What is the best wireless controller for my Bluetoothless pc? I’m using a wired 360 controller and between it and my wired headphones and keyboard I have a constant tangled mess.

I am luddite.
The newer Xbox controllers w/ wireless dongle are great so long as you have a spare USB port for it. I've had no issues and the range of that wireless dongle vs. bluetooth is a lot better as well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, Sorcery 4 is wrapped up. I actually liked it better than part 3. When people talked about how it takes away the rewind feature near the beginning I feared the worst. However, nobody mentioned that it is replaced by a new mechanic. Not too long after you lose rewind, you get a new ability. A checkpoint is set, and from then on, whenever you die you respawn at the checkpoint with 1 less max stamina. Time is rewound to when the checkpoint was first set, but you keep all your stuff and knowledge. There are even various points where after you solve a puzzle once, your character will automatically do it for you on future runs. So you don’t actually have to retrace your steps that often. Once you’ve got the important knowledge and loot from a certain area, it’s yours to keep and you don’t have to go back there again if you die.

Part 3 was too big for its own good, and the fact that it gave you seven objectives with indeterminate locations resulted in a lot of pointless wandering. Part 4 had a single objective with a known location, so you know when you’re making progress. I still liked part 2 a little better, but it was good.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 8, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Y'all playing this American Theft 80's playtest? Cause if not, you should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEya2JyrJnU

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1321450/American_Theft_80s/

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

I am luddite.

I've just made the switch to the new Xbox controller and wireless dongle as mentioned above, and it's great but the initial setup was a bastard as it refused to plug & play and I had to do a bunch of tedious googling to find the driver. It also seems to chew through batteries so make sure you've got some rechargeables.

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 8, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sponges posted:

I am luddite.

Get a $5 bluetooth dongle and an 8bitdo Pro 2

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Trickyblackjack posted:

Gah I finally beat the second stage of the leggy hand golem boss in Grime with a sliver of health left and it has a third loving stage?? Fuuuuuckk yyooouuuu

Multistage bosses are a blight in gaming.
If it's any consolation, it's not really a stage, just a final "gently caress you" move. Its health gradually drops.

That being said, Grime has some extremely questionable boss decisions.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Hollandia posted:

I've just made the switch to the new Xbox controller and wireless dongle as mentioned above, and it's great but the initial setup was a bastard as it refused to plug & play and I had to do a bunch of tedious googling to find the driver.
Weird. I think all I did was installed the Xbox Accessories app from the store, didn't need anything else. Their guide says drivers are included in Windows 10/11 but who knows how that actually works.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The difficulty scaling in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw really sucks and takes the fun out of the whole game and progression. All enemies scale with your ship and loadout so you will never out-hardware the enemies. Each region has a level range and even in the lower ones most combat missions throw so much poo poo at you that you just get swarmed. It's really stupid.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm hard pressed to come up with a game where I've thought level-scaling added to the experience, I've always preferred bespoke enemies with different tiers of difficulty and set stats. I know how many shots it takes to kill an imp at the start of Doom, I know how many shots it takes to kill an imp at the end of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait is Sifu not on Steam? I saw it talked about a lot but hadn't heard of it, looked it up and it looks cool but a search on Steam brings up nothing?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jerusalem posted:

Wait is Sifu not on Steam? I saw it talked about a lot but hadn't heard of it, looked it up and it looks cool but a search on Steam brings up nothing?
Probably not on Steam then.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

EGS and PS5 exclusive for now, might be a year if it comes to Steam.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well boo to that, what am I supposed to do until then? Play the dozens of games I purchased but haven't played yet!?! :mad:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Ariong posted:

Okay, Sorcery 4 is wrapped up. I actually liked it better than part 3.

Glad you had a better time with it than I did. I just remember having to trudge through the towers over and over again, re-solving each one every time. With a conversation-based UI it just took forever and became an enormous slog. I think I wasn't sure where to go or what to do so maybe that made it worse, I would try something, die, go back and have to do everything all over. I guess everything before and after the towers was okay, though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you play that transformers tactics game transformers battlegrounds?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1177000/TRANSFORMERS_BATTLEGROUNDS/

I read that it's kinda like baby's first x-com, dunno if there's any depth to it or how it actually plays compared to x-com but that's why I am asking in here

It really is Xcom at its simplest.
No depth really at all.
Not a bad game, but nothing exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQnq4oNk1ok

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jerusalem posted:

Well boo to that, what am I supposed to do until then? Play the dozens of games I purchased but haven't played yet!?! :mad:

It's also early access, IIRC?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Trickyblackjack posted:

Gah I finally beat the second stage of the leggy hand golem boss in Grime with a sliver of health left and it has a third loving stage?? Fuuuuuckk yyooouuuu

Multistage bosses are a blight in gaming.

Big multistage bosses actually own hard and Shapely Fidus is great.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kazil posted:

Guardian Ape was a pretty cool fakeout, Sister Friede having 3 phases was dumb as poo poo.

sister friede is like the best boss in the souls series

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Guardian ape is a NFT mascot and therefore the worst.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Begemot posted:

Prototype 1/2 are actually on steam! But they're like old ports, and judging by the reviews they have some issues on modern systems, but if you're really jonesing for that specific thing, you can just get those again and put in some work to get 'em running.

I'm really hoping that they get added to Game Pass in the future, now that Microsoft owns Activision. Hopefully right after they've updated Game Pass so installs are open to modifications.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
After the Thief Simulator 2 playtest ended recently, I was jonesing for some more thievery.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hollandia posted:

I've just made the switch to the new Xbox controller and wireless dongle as mentioned above, and it's great but the initial setup was a bastard as it refused to plug & play and I had to do a bunch of tedious googling to find the driver. It also seems to chew through batteries so make sure you've got some rechargeables.

Agreed; I got ~30 hours into MonHun before the batteries that came with the controller died. Figured the ones that ship with the controller simply aren't fully charged & replaced them... Then got another 30, 35 hours before they died again.

Don't know how long the Sony/Nintento wireless controllers last for, but that seemed short to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's also early access, IIRC?

It is not

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

Agreed; I got ~30 hours into MonHun before the batteries that came with the controller died. Figured the ones that ship with the controller simply aren't fully charged & replaced them... Then got another 30, 35 hours before they died again.

Don't know how long the Sony/Nintento wireless controllers last for, but that seemed short to me.

The switch pro controller will last for about 40 hours, a dual shock 4 4-8 and a dual shock 5 12-15.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I picked up an Xbox Elite controller series 2 around xmas, and love the thing since. It does wired, bluetooh and dongle wireless (you need to buy the pc xbox usb dongle for that though, I haven't bothered) and it comes with docking station so I just drop it on when I'm done, meaning batteries are never an issue. But even better: the d-pad is actually good. The 360 controller d-pad was absolute torture.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

I picked up an Xbox Elite controller series 2 around xmas, and love the thing since. It does wired, bluetooh and dongle wireless (you need to buy the pc xbox usb dongle for that though, I haven't bothered) and it comes with docking station so I just drop it on when I'm done, meaning batteries are never an issue. But even better: the d-pad is actually good. The 360 controller d-pad was absolute torture.

it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What made you expect a Prototype-esque game from... Dying Light?