Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol I didn't actually click through and assumed that thing cost like, 2WW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

mcmagic posted:

Swift Recon might be just better than Swords against a lot of decks... What legacy deck can crew 5? The issue is that it gets killed by Prismatic Ending.

It's probably better against UR delver and worse against most other things. Doesn't stop activated abilities or count as removal so it's much worse against D&T for instance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's good against Dark Depths decks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a cheap combo piece and it shuts off your opponents attackers or blockers and it protects your own utility creatures.

I will be very surprised if this doesn't get played alongside Monastery Mentor etc.

Wizards has learned absolutely loving nothing from True Name Nemesis.

Wizards hears ya. Wizards don't care.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a cheap combo piece and it shuts off your opponents attackers or blockers and it protects your own utility creatures.

I will be very surprised if this doesn't get played alongside Monastery Mentor etc.

Wizards has learned absolutely loving nothing from True Name Nemesis.

True Name was fine card to print and so is this. Legacy can handle them.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

mcmagic posted:

It's good against Dark Depths decks.

GW is the biggest depths deck which can PE this, and could crew it in a pinch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was thinking of lands but you're most likely correct. But just being a combo piece that you can play 4 of and it pretty decent against anything is not nothing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

True Name was fine card to print and so is this. Legacy can handle them.

I'm not saying it is bad to print this, it's a cool card and so was TNN. The problem is making them exclusive to commander precons, which both jacks up the price due to limited supply as well as makes the precons harder to find for commander players who want them to play with.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Is it precon only? I thought set boosters could contain commander-print cards

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They can, there's also 8 additional commander only cards you can only pull from set boosters too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Swift Recon might be just better than Swords against a lot of decks... What legacy deck can crew 5? The issue is that it gets killed by Prismatic Ending.

The ones running Uro and Dreadnought.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

Path to Lexus is a great card

need Utena alter

this needs to happen

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ughh so kamigawa is gonna make me buy into arena finally. I haven't played standard in years, what are the chances there's gonna be a u or u/x tempo deck (pretty much all I've played in years is pauper faeries or delver lol). Ninjitsu plus value is one of my favourite things. Otherwise I guess rdw is always a good early choice? I'll be back once I get my head around arena's economy.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hard to predict what archetypes will be viable but if you're wanting to play tempo they're reprinting Spell Pierce

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Actually signed up for my first prerelease since the first Theros set.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TipTow posted:

Hard to predict what archetypes will be viable but if you're wanting to play tempo they're reprinting Spell Pierce

Also there's a vehicle that's also an uncounterable Mana Leak

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
pretty funny that amazon search autocompletes to "kamigawa neon destiny"

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’m getting a booster box to open for myself for the first time since…Mercadian Masques, lol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh what... LSV set reviews are now paywalled?

What do people read for (limited) reviews these days

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

field balm posted:

Ughh so kamigawa is gonna make me buy into arena finally. I haven't played standard in years, what are the chances there's gonna be a u or u/x tempo deck (pretty much all I've played in years is pauper faeries or delver lol). Ninjitsu plus value is one of my favourite things. Otherwise I guess rdw is always a good early choice? I'll be back once I get my head around arena's economy.

arena specific thread is here

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh what... LSV set reviews are now paywalled?

What do people read for (limited) reviews these days

The Limited Level Ups review podcast is great if you have eight hours to spare in your empty life, which I do

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

vegetables posted:

The Limited Level Ups review podcast is great if you have eight hours to spare in your empty life, which I do

It's on YouTube as well under the Lords of Limited account, here's the first segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEOymDIM6_o

If you don't have eight hours, Alex has his tier list up here https://www.17lands.com/tier_list/0b2b04f23e104ddba3501cd009385d60
and Lords of Limited goes over the format in a broader sense in their latest episode in under a couple hours.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I have Font of Agonies on the battlefield and I cast K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth from my hand for 4 generic and 6 life. How many counters are added to Font of Agonies, one or three? Please cite the relevant segment of the comprehensive rules in your answer.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Three.

quote:

2019-01-25: An effect that causes you to pay life uses the word “pay.” If an effect allows you to choose to lose life or to be dealt damage without using the word “pay,” you’re not paying life.

You're paying 2 life three times.

Edit: Didn't follow the rules!
Here from Comprehensive:

601.2b If the spell is modal, the player announces the mode choice (see rule 700.2). If the player wishes to splice any cards onto the spell (see rule 702.46), they reveal those cards in their hand. If the spell has alternative or additional costs that will be paid as it’s being cast such as buyback or kicker costs (see rules 118.8 and 118.9), the player announces their intentions to pay any or all of those costs (see rule 601.2f). A player can’t apply two alternative methods of casting or two alternative costs to a single spell. If the spell has a variable cost that will be paid as it’s being cast (such as an {X} in its mana cost; see rule 107.3), the player announces the value of that variable. If the value of that variable is defined in the text of the spell by a choice that player would make later in the announcement or resolution of the spell, that player makes that choice at this time instead of that later time. If a cost that will be paid as the spell is being cast includes hybrid mana symbols, the player announces the nonhybrid equivalent cost they intend to pay. If a cost that will be paid as the spell is being cast includes Phyrexian mana symbols, the player announces whether they intend to pay 2 life or the corresponding colored mana cost for each of those symbols. Previously made choices (such as choosing to cast a spell with flashback from a graveyard or choosing to cast a creature with morph face down) may restrict the player’s options when making these choices.

601.2f The player determines the total cost of the spell. Usually this is just the mana cost. Some spells have additional or alternative costs. Some effects may increase or reduce the cost to pay, or may provide other alternative costs. Costs may include paying mana, tapping permanents, sacrificing permanents, discarding cards, and so on. The total cost is the mana cost or alternative cost (as determined in rule 601.2b), plus all additional costs and cost increases, and minus all cost reductions. If multiple cost reductions apply, the player may apply them in any order. If the mana component of the total cost is reduced to nothing by cost reduction effects, it is considered to be {0}. It can’t be reduced to less than {0}. Once the total cost is determined, any effects that directly affect the total cost are applied. Then the resulting total cost becomes “locked in.” If effects would change the total cost after this time, they have no effect.

601.2h The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid. Example: You cast Altar’s Reap, which costs {1}{B} and has an additional cost of sacrificing a creature. You sacrifice Thunderscape Familiar, whose effect makes your black spells cost {1} less to cast. Because a spell’s total cost is “locked in” before payments are actually made, you pay {B}, not {1}{B}, even though you’re sacrificing the Familiar.

602.2b The remainder of the process for activating an ability is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2b–i. Those rules apply to activating an ability just as they apply to casting a spell. An activated ability’s analog to a spell’s mana cost (as referenced in rule 601.2f) is its activation cost.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 8, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Path to Lexus

swords to rideshares

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Three.

You're paying 2 life three times.

“Whenever you pay life add that many counters” so shouldn’t it be six counters?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Chakan posted:

“Whenever you pay life add that many counters” so shouldn’t it be six counters?

That would have to read "Whenever you pay life add as many counters as life lost" or something. There are three instances of payment.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

tyvm. please post your PayPal login info so I can, uh, compensate you

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

fatherboxx posted:

Path to Lexus is a great card

It’s an auto include

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

That would have to read "Whenever you pay life add as many counters as life lost" or something. There are three instances of payment.

If it was one counter per payment, it would be worded "Whenever you pay life, put a blood counter on Font of Agonies"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wrong. When it says "that many" it means literally that many. It would be six counters

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Understandable. Have a great day!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

I have Font of Agonies on the battlefield and I cast K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth from my hand for 4 generic and 6 life. How many counters are added to Font of Agonies, one or three? Please cite the relevant segment of the comprehensive rules in your answer.

6. You're misreading the card: The "That many" you're putting on the card is the amount of life you paid.
Because it's a triggered ability, for the card to work the way you think it does it would simply say to put "a" counter when you pay life. There would never be a time when "that many" would be more than 1, since if you did it more than once the ability would simply trigger an additional time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

6. You're misreading the card: The "That many" you're putting on the card is the amount of life you paid.
Because it's a triggered ability, for the card to work the way you think it does it would simply say to put "a" counter when you pay life. There would never be a time when "that many" would be more than 1, since if you did it more than once the ability would simply trigger an additional time.

ah dang it. thank you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LR gave Behold the Unspeakable an A. I told you guys it was fire.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

New set of Standard challenger decks coming out April 1

https://magic.wizards.com/en/challenger-decks-2022

EDIT: The mono white deck includes Faceless Haven lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Imagine buying standard cards?! smh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Imagine buying standard cards?! smh

Couldn't be me. Except for standard cards that are good in modern

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

New set of Standard challenger decks coming out April 1

https://magic.wizards.com/en/challenger-decks-2022

EDIT: The mono white deck includes Faceless Haven lol

Not the first time they put out a product with a banned card and had to be like “you can only play it in this exact deck”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Not the first time they put out a product with a banned card and had to be like “you can only play it in this exact deck”

Yeah apparently this happened before with Stoneforge Mystic? Very odd