Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Is there any path to replace plaster walls with drywall? We have a fair number of cracks in the plaster throughout, but only one room where the plaster is legitimately jacked up - probably because it hasn’t been touched in what’s likely sixty years. Nothing “serious” - all cosmetic - but you could definitely go in and peel big chunks off. Should I just have someone replaster the area? It’s around a window, outside a sill (the window has been replaced) and along a wall.

The "path" is rip and replace. Ripping out plaster and lath is pretty miserable, but gives you the opportunity of correcting mechanicals, vapor barrier and insulation in the walls. You could also put 1/4" drywall on top to do a quick job. Or you could repair the plaster.

Which one you choose depends on how bad things are and your goals/other needs. If all you want is a cosmetic repair you want to get someone who can repair the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

The "path" is rip and replace. Ripping out plaster and lath is pretty miserable, but gives you the opportunity of correcting mechanicals, vapor barrier and insulation in the walls. You could also put 1/4" drywall on top to do a quick job. Or you could repair the plaster.

Which one you choose depends on how bad things are and your goals/other needs. If all you want is a cosmetic repair you want to get someone who can repair the area.

I think this is more of a patch job because the area isn’t very large - it’s around a window sill and on the edge of a corner near a fireplace.

The other option is to expose the brick since it’s an exterior wall. My guess from what it looks like is that a bunch of it got cracked when the window was replaced, and there’s some cracking around a fireplace that looks like it’s from the fireplace being used. And this area probably hasn’t been painted in sixty years. The “good” news is there’s no moisture (and if there was it was clearly a window, roof and chimney replacement ago) so this can probably sit until the room gets repainted

Unfortunately for my area too replacing original plaster is probably a net negative on home value, because people are insane and stupid (which is why I can never replace the original wood floors)

Home ownership sure is fun! I’m so glad I did this!

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 7, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Unfortunately for my area too replacing original plaster is probably a net negative on home value, because people are insane and stupid (which is why I can never replace the original wood floors)

I'm not sure why replacing period correct elements that can be maintained would be a net positive in any market.

But this also indicates that you probably have at least a few people around who know how to do the repair work that you need.

Modern materials and construction are in many cases not nearly as good as SURVIVING old construction (they used garbage and did poo poo jobs back in the good 'ol days too, but those have all been torn down by now). We just gad a story in this the other about trying to reno a 70 year old bathroom and what that would cost for even a passingly similar level of quality and workmanship.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure why replacing period correct elements that can be maintained would be a net positive in any market.

But this also indicates that you probably have at least a few people around who know how to do the repair work that you need.

Because old floors are full of gaps and unlevel :(

And yea we have a ton of super specialized trades for these types of homes - all nice homes in my city are 1920-1940 (or older) so if you want to live in a nice area not in the suburbs this is what you get. I’m calling masons today and I have a list of 10 that only work within a square mile because of the density of homes made of brick

(And that’s not counting the area which requires historical planning commission approval to replace windows, which is why we have a whole local industry of single pane sash window rebuilding)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

tater_salad posted:

That said.. I had a poo poo attorney once. No communication I had to chase all the time, I had to chase for documents and papers after closing, I had to chase for a closing date etc. So Make sure you get a good recommendation, from people before selecting one.

this was our experience with our highly recommended attorney office - i don't know if we just got unlucky or what but luckily our lender was really on top of their game and unfucked a lot of the fuckups the attorney made

i would definitely use an attorney again but be 100x sure you have the right one, i will never forget watching them flop sweat through the closing as i found multiple errors in the payments/agreement etc - turned a 40 min meeting into a full day of unfucking, i spent a solid month cleaning up all of their mistakes - the cherry on top was when they gave us a "we're sorry" gift of a framed topographical map - for the wrong town, we flipped it on fb marketplace for 75 bucks

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Plaster can be (and sometimes is) a huge hassle BUT it has a fantastic visual texture and is really good at dampening sound.

Also, as someone whose house has both original plaster and drywall, the worst thing is when it’s swapped out or covered up willy nilly so you get surprise wall/ceiling materials. I wish my house just had one or the other.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Because old floors are full of gaps and unlevel :(

What you are describing is not a feature of old floors, it's a feature of your incorrectly maintained old floors.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Real estate attorneys aren’t particularly expensive so I don’t know why you wouldn’t hire one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ exactly they're a small cost in compared to the finances involved

Mad Wack posted:

this was our experience with our highly recommended attorney office - i don't know if we just got unlucky or what but luckily our lender was really on top of their game and unfucked a lot of the fuckups the attorney made

i would definitely use an attorney again but be 100x sure you have the right one, i will never forget watching them flop sweat through the closing as i found multiple errors in the payments/agreement etc - turned a 40 min meeting into a full day of unfucking, i spent a solid month cleaning up all of their mistakes - the cherry on top was when they gave us a "we're sorry" gift of a framed topographical map - for the wrong town, we flipped it on fb marketplace for 75 bucks

Yeah I feel like a lot of attorneys retire to do Residential RE sales because it's "easy" and not a lot of work most of the time, and are doing it to supplement / pay for their retirement and kind of cost. The younger ones that I've had (around my age instead of post retirement) have been great. My first one was like 65 and Maybe the retirement statement applies.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I thought this was interesting so I thought I’d share. We bought a place in 2019 that was built in the 80s in the PNW and had electric heat. It’s little boxes in the wall (so electric wall/baseboard heat).

We had them set to about 68/70 then got a huge surprise with our first winter bill and they went down to 65. A home energy audit recommended switching to a heat pump for heating, but also gave us AC which was huge this past summer. We did a 4 unit setup for the whole home, 1300 sq FT 2 stories. Everything in the house is electric (no gas/oil).

I went through and looked at how did switching change our electricity usage. Note that starting in November or so we went to 65 for wall heaters but with the mini splits we kept it at 70 give or take 1-2 degrees based on the room:

October: Daily Avg 48 vs 31 kWh, Total kWh 1489 vs 982 (34% decrease)
November: Daily Avg 71 vs 39 kWh, Total kWh 2117 vs 1174 (45% decrease)
December: Daily Avg 77 vs 57 kWh, Total kWh 2402 vs 1759 (27% decrease)
January: Daily Avg 70 vs 52 kWh, Total kWh 2182 vs 1624 (25% decrease)

I hope someone finds that info useful if they are thinking of switching. Late Dec/Early Jan was very cold for the Seattle area, plus that includes having guests during the coldest Dec time and being snowed in. The mini splits we had installed clearly started to struggle when it dropped to the low 20s/high teens, so we supplemented with the wall heaters since we had guests. Had they not been here, we’d have likely lowered the temp to around 65 for those days and probably still had a jump in usage but not as comical as it was due to engaging the wall heaters and leaving the mini splits fairly high.

We’d likely save even more by lowering it to around 67-68, but my wife likes it warm and if I’m being honest I do too.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I looked at a place with baseboard heat and passed on it cause I was worried about the costs. Hoping to end up in a place with radiator heat, and then install mini split heat pumps for AC and additional heating power in the winter.

My current place, one of my stairs has a long crack running through it. I assume there is some sort of "wood putty" type product I can get to fill it in? Any suggestions?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Hadlock posted:

I think if I ever got to remodel my kitchen, we'd mount the dishwasher 18-24 inches off the ground, so I don't need to squat to load/unload it, have it sit under a 47" counter top or something, or as part of floor-to-ceiling cabinets. I don't mind load/unloading the dishwasher, I hate squatting down to use it. Bonus points if the dishes sink is right next to it, so I can just open it, rinse off dishes, then load them directly into the washer, all while standing up

That's a great idea, probably can't do it in this kitchen but it's definitely something I would like too. Even 12" would be a game changer.

Hadlock posted:

My last fridge had the classic "stand to open top freezer", and "squat on the floor to view food in bottom fridge" which, gently caress that noise.

Agreed completely, I just bought a bottom freezer fridge nearly identical to the one in the remodel picture (but single door) because my 84 year old dad couldn't reach most of the lower parts and jammed all his stuff into the top 2 shelves. It felt like having a fridge half the size.

Hadlock posted:

I'm assuming that second dishwasher is a garbage compactor? Do you have two sinks?

Nah it's a second dishwasher, my mom insisted on two*, I think she hated the idea of dirty dishes on the counter even just for the length of a dishwasher cycle. That or she didn't trust the reliability and wanted a backup, I'm not sure. I'm just keeping it for now, but when I actually do the remodel I'll probably skip it. The second sink is going to be just one of the small handwashing/veggie peeling sinks for when two people are working in there at the same time. My sister installed one in her kitchen and she said it takes about 95% of their conflict away while prepping stuff.

*Last year I bought my parents' house that they designed and we built when I was in junior high school. I'm my own Gary. It hasn't ever been remodeled so it's 1984 vintage and all worn out.

Upgrade posted:

I would say the stove is poorly placed in that picture

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah that's a pretty bad work triangle.

So I googled work triangle, and it makes sense. I'm wide open to advice and suggestions, while being somewhat constrained to how it's plumbed and wired right now. I'll have to move the oven 240 outlet about 4 feet as it is, but if there's a radically better placement I'm open to it.

Looking at triangle diagrams, if I put either the oven or the primary sink on the island I'd get a more perfect triangle. Although maybe the 2nd sink saves me there. But I assume the criticism is how far apart the oven and fridge are?

But it's even worse right now, the oven and doorway (not sure why they render it as a wall) are currently swapped from that picture. Talk about a bad work triangle, how about having to cross the kitchen entrance with it? Never mind that it feels like the oven is a mile away from the rest of the kitchen. When it's a holiday and there's 2-3 people working and 4-5 more walking in and out all the time to socialize or get a drink it's a miracle we haven't had anyone get severely burned.

Insurrectum posted:

Idea: Install a half floor above your kitchen to use all that wasted air space. you can install a tunnel into john malkovic and get eternal life

I'd go full irony and install the tunnel into John Cusack. In reality, it's a 13 foot high vaulted ceiling. The software didn't have an option for that. So I made it 11 feet to approximate the average height.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 8, 2022

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
10 miles from my house is a house my grandfather and his brothers built for his parents in the 1960's. Knowing how he built stuff, I would love to own that house because I'm certain it was built to a masterpiece standard of craftsmanship.

It's not in the family anymore and it's now owned by an interstate property rental conglomerate so :rip: at the idea of me ever getting a chance to buy it at a decent price.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I do not understand not wanting to spend $500 on a real estate attorney, while simultaneously not wanting to bother leaving your house open to a full week of bids even though that could net you tens of thousands of dollars from even just one higher bid vs. the very first acceptable bid you get.

If someone offered to pay me $20k to deal with a week of "hassle" (which constitutes waiting while my listing agent handles everything to do with buyers making offers) I'd take that in an instant and laugh all the way to the bank. Just because someone was hovering over MLS all day on the first day you listed it and was willing to throw out a bid instantly does not mean that's going to be the highest bid you'll get. Give folks who maybe have to actually come see the house and mull it over for 48 hours a chance too, they might well be willing to pay more!

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I do not understand not wanting to spend $500 on a real estate attorney, while simultaneously not wanting to bother leaving your house open to a full week of bids even though that could net you tens of thousands of dollars from even just one higher bid vs. the very first acceptable bid you get.

If someone offered to pay me $20k to deal with a week of "hassle" (which constitutes waiting while my listing agent handles everything to do with buyers making offers) I'd take that in an instant and laugh all the way to the bank. Just because someone was hovering over MLS all day on the first day you listed it and was willing to throw out a bid instantly does not mean that's going to be the highest bid you'll get. Give folks who maybe have to actually come see the house and mull it over for 48 hours a chance too, they might well be willing to pay more!

Yeah, I don't get places that sell in 36 hours... My house is my most expensive asset, I want to get full value!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Nor would I if not for the current market.

What we're seeing are literally impulse buys of homes by people throwing out big numbers and wanting immediate gratification. If you want to makes people wait for answers to offers you may be cutting out dead money no contingencies people.

Also, you seem to be coupling accepted bid price with that somehow being the end of it. It's not. A lot can go wrong, as already described by many other in this thread. Having an attorney has literally nothing to do with the process up to offer acceptance, which is what you are talking about.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leperflesh posted:

Real estate is very local and my experience is that a week wouldn't have done anything more for me. Something like 10 offers went in after a weekend of showings and we bid two of them up an extra 10k before accepting an offer. It's not a matter of taking the first offer, there's so little inventory around here that there's a large pool of buyers who look at every house that comes up in their parameters.

The house next to me had an offer accepted by the time the sign went up out front. I'm a little upset I wish I could have convinced my friends to buy it, on the other hand they would have had to be actively searching at the time and qualified so it wasn't meant to be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Motronic posted:

Nor would I if not for the current market.

What we're seeing are literally impulse buys of homes by people throwing out big numbers and wanting immediate gratification. If you want to makes people wait for answers to offers you may be cutting out dead money no contingencies people.

Also, you seem to be coupling accepted bid price with that somehow being the end of it. It's not. A lot can go wrong, as already described by many other in this thread. Having an attorney has literally nothing to do with the process up to offer acceptance, which is what you are talking about.

I wasn't clear. What I'm saying is, being so money-conscious that the impediment to hiring an attorney is their fee, while being so non-money-conscious as to place "get this over with" ahead of "allow a reasonable amount of time for shoppers to see the house and then make a bid." An attorney's fee is tiny compared to the amount of extra money you can make if a higher bidder shows up a day or three after you do your first weekend opening.

I'm really skeptical of this idea that you'll make more money by accepting a no-contingencies all-cash offer on Day 1 vs. allowing multiple bidders to engage in a bidding war over the period of a week. It may be that in some markets, you're only expecting one or two bids ever, so you take what you can get; but in the markets where the cash investors are most active are also the markets where there's lots of buyers and low inventory and yes a loan-contingent offer is riskier, the deal could fall through, it could be a hassle!

Pay me tens of thousands of dollars to deal with a few days or even a few weeks of hassle? Sure. That's like... a job I do anyway, right? I think there's sometimes a tendency for folks to get so stressed by the huge numbers and risks involved in the largest transactions of their lives that they let that emotional pressure lead them to leave tens of thousands of dollars on the table unnecessarily... and real estate agents care more about a quick sale than getting the most money so they pressure their clients to take early offers, adding to that tendency.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I am going to look into a real estate attorney. It wasn't a question of money so much as redundancy? Again, my understanding was that a title company was going to take care of it. It sounds like I can't go wrong with personal representation at the table though. But with people getting into a bidding war right out the gate, I'm not sure what else I should be waiting for?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I'm really skeptical of this idea that you'll make more money by accepting a no-contingencies all-cash offer on Day 1 vs. allowing multiple bidders to engage in a bidding war over the period of a week.

Real estate is still local. You need to look at the very recent deal flow of your area. Saying one way is right and another way is wrong without specifying the market is useless speculation. Sucks that this is where we are, but we are.

Leperflesh posted:

It may be that in some markets, you're only expecting one or two bids ever, so you take what you can get;

If and where those markets exist I haven't seen anyone in here post about one. That used to be the vacation/lake house set, but even those are going like crazy now. Which makes for an even crazier situation because there are not relevant comps.

Leperflesh posted:

but in the markets where the cash investors are most active are also the markets where there's lots of buyers and low inventory and yes a loan-contingent offer is riskier, the deal could fall through, it could be a hassle!

Pay me tens of thousands of dollars to deal with a few days or even a few weeks of hassle? Sure. That's like... a job I do anyway, right? I think there's sometimes a tendency for folks to get so stressed by the huge numbers and risks involved in the largest transactions of their lives that they let that emotional pressure lead them to leave tens of thousands of dollars on the table unnecessarily...

Still to this point, we seem to be agree with each other.

Leperflesh posted:

and real estate agents care more about a quick sale than getting the most money so they pressure their clients to take early offers, adding to that tendency.

Even a broken clock is right twice a millennium. There are absolutely stupid markets and homes in this insane market where you can lose out not taking that first insane all cash offer, because they are not bidding on YOUR HOUSE, they are bidding on A HOUSE. And they want it NOW. This is a real thing that is happening. We're already seeing the buyer's remorse articles. As a seller, that's not your problem. Maximizing your deal is what you should be doing, and there are no hard and fast established rules for this, not that there ever were, but it's even crazier now.

Also, one needs to take into account your own situation when selling. Most people aren't just "selling a spare house". They have poo poo to do/poo poo to buy/need money to finance. Same as it ever was but even crazier because the buying side is so nuts. There is absolutely value in going "poo poo, good enough cash offer, this won't fall through and I can move move cognitive load on to the buying side now, which is where my head was anyway."

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Hadlock posted:

I think if I ever got to remodel my kitchen, we'd mount the dishwasher 18-24 inches off the ground, so I don't need to squat to load/unload it, have it sit under a 47" counter top or something, or as part of floor-to-ceiling cabinets. I don't mind load/unloading the dishwasher, I hate squatting down to use it. Bonus points if the dishes sink is right next to it, so I can just open it, rinse off dishes, then load them directly into the washer, all while standing up

When me & Mrs. Barfish were living in a small appt. we got a 1/2 height countertop dishwasher identical to this (but OEM branded to a european store):

https://www.amazon.com/SPT-SD-2201S-Countertop-Dishwasher-Silver/dp/B004N4MSPO

It's really good for a cheap machine, we got it nearly a decade ago and it's only beginning to show its age.

We've since moved to a place with a huge kitchen that had space under the counters for full sized dishwashers, washing machines etc. We still use the countertop one partly because we don't create enough dirty dishes to run a full size wash once a day, but also because loading/unloading at this height is so much easier.

I'm actually considering getting a 2nd 1/2 height one, and installing both raised off the floor in the spaces we have for the dishwasher and washing machine- we keep the washing machine in the basement and having two smaller machines near waist height would be a lot more efficient.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

I am going to look into a real estate attorney. It wasn't a question of money so much as redundancy? Again, my understanding was that a title company was going to take care of it. It sounds like I can't go wrong with personal representation at the table though. But with people getting into a bidding war right out the gate, I'm not sure what else I should be waiting for?

Your RE agent will (or should) know Best. (Edit: in regards to the bidding war)

Regarding an attorney no there's no redundancy. The buyer has an attorney they work for the buyer, and have the buyer's best interest in mind. The bank (buyers lender) has an attorney that works for the bank and has the bank's best interest in mind. The title company has an attorney and they work..... See the trend, the title company only cares that your title is accurate and clear of defects/leins that's it.

Your title company lawyer isn't going to help you file your sale paperwork, determine if the contract is legal, good for you, free of defects or errors that can screw you / nullify it, calculate the escrow amounts that need to happen, tax credits for the year that you already paid up on or owe if you haven't paid, transfer tax for your area, file the sale with the county/ state etc. I give them $500, show up and sign some papers and they do all the rest. They know where to go to file what they l ow how to make sure the escrow is paid out properly etc.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 8, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Your RE agent will (or should) know Best.

If this is in PA they will almost definitely say "no" because one is not required and all that could do from their perspective is slow down closing a transaction.

(they real answer is probably yes)

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Yeah this is PA and the realtor already told me don’t bother. Gonna make some phone calls today.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Love someone quoting roof work who doesn’t bring a ladder or drone and gives an estimate based on a flat fee and seeing your roof from the ground.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Had an electrician in today to fix some issues with my baseboards, and we ended up having a larger conversation about how to better heat the home long-term. Rather than using baseboards, he mentioned installing a mini-split (I have a ductless house) which should handle cooling/heating/dehumidifying my entire top floor, and long-term should reduce my electric bill. I can always keep the baseboards as an emergency backup solution in case the heat pump fails.

He also mentioned replacing the aluminum wiring with copper, which also sounds appealing to me to reduce risk of fire/damage, but he didn't notice any frayed wires or any obvious problems.

Not sure if I should jump right away on any of these options or keep using my baseboards a bit more (they are relatively new). House was built 1974, I bought it almost 2 years ago.

Weaponized Autism fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 9, 2022

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Weaponized Autism posted:

Not sure if I should jump right away on any of these options or keep using my baseboards a bit more (they are relatively new). House was built 1974, I bought it almost 2 years ago.

How much do you spend heating your home currently? How much do you care about cooling in the summer? Does the cost of a mini-split unit, installation, and reduced operating cost make sense given the answers to the first two questions? It'll likely be more efficient and would make your home more comfortable in general.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Magicaljesus posted:

How much do you spend heating your home currently? How much do you care about cooling in the summer? Does the cost of a mini-split unit, installation, and reduced operating cost make sense given the answers to the first two questions? It'll likely be more efficient and would make your home more comfortable in general.

And you won't get woken up in the night by those godawful baseboard noises.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sloppy posted:

And you won't get woken up in the night by those godawful baseboard noises.

Hydronic baseboard makes basically zero noise when properly installed and maintained. If you are hearing bubbling, popping or water movement noises your system is improperly filled/bled and also may be contaminated and needs to be flushed. If you are hearing ticking due to heating/cooling the baseboards are not installed properly, have been damaged, or the covers weren't properly re-latched on the styles that have covers.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Behold my mighty mini split, ye mortals, and bow in awe.

It seems to be running fine so far. Very quiet. We'll have to see what the cost is like compared to pellet stove, but for localized heating it's gotta be better.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Upgrade posted:

Love someone quoting roof work who doesn’t bring a ladder or drone and gives an estimate based on a flat fee and seeing your roof from the ground.

When a contractor wins a bid, what they really win is the ability to renegotiate later with improved leverage and no competitors

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Mini splits rule, my last apartment had them and they were great. I haven't had a Mitsubishi one but they're supposed to be top of the line.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pokie posted:

Behold my mighty mini split, ye mortals, and bow in awe.

It seems to be running fine so far. Very quiet. We'll have to see what the cost is like compared to pellet stove, but for localized heating it's gotta be better.

Grats. Maybe we need a Mitsubishi Minisplit gangtag?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

man this all reminds me I really really need a service upgrade so when I redo my bedroom and kill the old rear end picture window a mini-split goes in there. (It's on an addition that does not get good heat/cooling as it's too far from hvac). Heating / cool is currently subsidised by a space heater / window unit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan posted:

Delivery date on the sofa I ordered September 5th has changed from "late December" to "mid February" in the span of a week.

:negative:

Delivery pushed back again to early March now, supposedly. I was getting so excited to finally have furniture again too.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I buy my sofas cash and carry from Menards.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guys guys guys.

I have a finished garage! :toot:

Just in time for my baby to come home!

Which baby? Yes!

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 11, 2022

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Residency Evil posted:

Guys guys guys.

I have a finished garage! :toot:

Just in time for my baby to come home!

Which baby? Yes!

So what was the deviation of estimated completion date to actual completion date? On the garage, or, either baby.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheWevel posted:

So what was the deviation of estimated completion date to actual completion date? On the garage, or, either baby.

I think the guy originally said he'd be done by the end of January, ie 30 days from when I signed the contract the last week of December. They would have been completely done last week if not for the cold/snow that prevented them from painting/doing the final touch up work. Works out since this week was the 28 day mark for the concrete too. :toot:

One baby is currently at my wife's friend's house, due to come out on any good dry sunny day now.

The other one is still in my wife, due early March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Residency Evil posted:

I think the guy originally said he'd be done by the end of January, ie 30 days from when I signed the contract the last week of December. They would have been completely done last week if not for the cold/snow that prevented them from painting/doing the final touch up work. Works out since this week was the 28 day mark for the concrete too. :toot:

One baby is currently at my wife's friend's house, due to come out on any good dry sunny day now.

The other one is still in my wife, due early March.

We were getting our second floor dormered to expand and add a bedroom (cape cod style house) just before our daughter was born. Our GC was going through our punch list and was not as specific about finish dates than my wife liked. She basically gave him the death threat, “I’m two weeks out and I’m not going to come home to an unfinished house.” That got him motivated to finish up the job.