Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maaaan...Prototype was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i can't believe no one's tried to make a prototype clone but more modern and better. being a freak rear end monster with tentacles and scythes who powerbombs people from skyscrapers, in high resolution. devs are loving up.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Foul Fowl posted:

rear end monster with tentacles

:dogstare:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't played those but I think mechanically, new Spider-Man games are fairly similar, but thematically they're very different.
Being an absolute bastard that snacks on civilians for health was very fun.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
spider man had amazing, truly incredible webswinging but everything else about that game felt a decade old and beating on drug dealers in the park is not as cool as elbow dropping a tank and throwing its burned out husk into a crowd of pedestrians

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Time for developers to reach the era where they feel nostalgic for Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Scalding Coffee posted:

After the Thief Simulator 2 playtest ended recently, I was jonesing for some more thievery.

I'm liking it a bit more than Thief Simulator (from what little I've played of both! Seems to have a much better vibe with some interesting mechanics (You have to use a sledgehammer with some weird hand sim controls to smash doorknobs for example)

It can be played in both third person and first person. The story is set up in a way where I go "Just one more task". Think this might be the first playtest where I actually try and see all of the content it has.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's also early access, IIRC?

Nah it's like a "preorder to gain early access 48 hours before the release date!" thing, not Early Access early access

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just want to say that I bought an xbox controller partly in the hopes of ease of use compared to a DS4 (which isn't bad most of the time), but I've experienced a buttload of issues with it. the device itself is fine, but I'm constantly having trouble with it.

Latest thing was it taking over the Game Bar menu. It would act like I was constantly scrolling, making it impossible to change settings.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah despite having a whole palette of controllers available (switch pro, xbox one,dualsense) I often just use the xbox controller because it has the highest compatibility. Though I have to admit steam profiles for them work really well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
can you tell steam to turn off autoprofiles? most of the time i don't care for the custom changes or don't feel like learning them, and they'll often screw up the screenshot button.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Time for developers to reach the era where they feel nostalgic for Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype.

That hulk game was probably my favorite game for the gamecube besides RE4. :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gorn Myson posted:

imagine these games with red faction's terrain & building destruction

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ice Pick Lodge's next game is out in two days :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALE6cqf_Gnk

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would accept Rampage's building destruction as a joke setting. Enough damage and the whole thing tumbles from the bottom after a couple seconds. Back when codes were a thing.

Harminoff posted:

I'm liking it a bit more than Thief Simulator (from what little I've played of both! Seems to have a much better vibe with some interesting mechanics (You have to use a sledgehammer with some weird hand sim controls to smash doorknobs for example)

It can be played in both third person and first person. The story is set up in a way where I go "Just one more task". Think this might be the first playtest where I actually try and see all of the content it has.
I didn't even play the first playtest correctly since I found the FP setting let me break out of bounds and I explored the unfinished world instead. They had additional VA for several characters, unfinished buildings, and arcade games. This time should be different.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Artelier posted:

I'm eyeing Sifu and I have a question about it:

The age mechanic is basically a limited lives mechanic, right? So from my understanding:
- If you die, you gain one age. If you die again before managing to restore it, your next death ages you up two years instead of one year. Die three times in a row and you lose 3 years on the next death, then 4 years, etc.
- Some events (minibosses?) can reduce the amount of years you will add to your age on the next death, but not reduce your age counter.
- Your stats change (I think +damage, -total health) as you pass certain age tresholds.
- You get a game over when you hit 70 years of age.

So my question is, does your age reset at some point? Let's say you finish a level at age 55, does that mean you start the next level at 55 and only have 15 years of life left? Is there a way to mitigate this? Or does it reset to like 20 or so per level?

You nailed it, that's just how it is.

The one mitigating factor is that you only have to do each level REALLY well once. So if you manage to beat the first level and you're still, like, 23 or 26 or something you can just stick with that and start fresh on the second level as many times as you want.

Also I made a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3992998&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti2

RBA Starblade posted:

Ice Pick Lodge's next game is out in two days :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALE6cqf_Gnk

Little confused what kind of game this is. Probably just a narrative point and click adventure kind of thing?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Play posted:

Little confused what kind of game this is.

Ah, this must be your first Ice Pick Lodge experience.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
"little confused what kind of game this is" is actually pretty good description for Ice Pick Lodge games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Foul Fowl posted:

sister friede is like the best boss in the souls series

I beat the dlc but still never figured out her invisibility gimmick or how to actually avoid that one attack

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

"little confused what kind of game this is" is actually pretty good description for Ice Pick Lodge games.

*googles dev name, sees "pathologic"*

ah

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have had my 360 wireless for so long I can't remember -14 years, maybe? - and the goddam thing just keeps trucking. Great controller, it does chew through batteries but I just buy a big sack of them every now and then.

Never used to d pad to control movement though, do people do that a lot?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I have had my 360 wireless for so long I can't remember and the goddam thing just keeps trucking. Great controller, it does chew through batteries but I just buy a big sack of them every now and then.

I'd rather lick a cheese grater than play a platformer with an analog stick instead of a dpad.

I started with using a 360 pad but the dpad was constantly getting me killed in Dark Souls that I bought a DS4 instead. It's very good and the extra buttons are very useful on a PC.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sebmojo posted:

I have had my 360 wireless for so long I can't remember -14 years, maybe? - and the goddam thing just keeps trucking. Great controller, it does chew through batteries but I just buy a big sack of them every now and then.

i'm equally ineptapt with both, personally - with enough deadzone stick is just as controllable to me as dpad, and usually slightly more comfortable

despite that i wouldn't argue with anyone saying dpad is more accurate for platforming

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sebmojo posted:

My friend, let me show you something that will change your life forever, and also help the planet

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable...customerReviews

note: I did not buy that exact one or endorse it, I'm just revealing the existence of such an item to you. I got mine for the newer series x/s bluetooth controllers, and holy gently caress I love it so much not to deal with disposable batteries ever again

another great thing about my setup is if the batteries run out I just plug in the long usb c cord that was included and can keep playing while it recharges. it owns. and I'm sure my workplace will be happy to not have their batteries constantly disappearing mysteriously

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jack Trades posted:

Maaaan...Prototype was so good.

I loved that game on Playstation, but the PC port was so lovely it retroactively made me dislike it.

As I remember, everything in the game was tied to framerate so if your PC couldn't run it at exactly the correct rate, the timing for everything was slowed down and off, and basically ruined the whole game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

I loved that game on Playstation, but the PC port was so lovely it retroactively made me dislike it.

As I remember, everything in the game was tied to framerate so if your PC couldn't run it at exactly the correct rate, the timing for everything was slowed down and off, and basically ruined the whole game.

I only played it on PC and I don't remember any technical issues but maybe I lucked out :shrug:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jack Trades posted:

I only played it on PC and I don't remember any technical issues but maybe I lucked out :shrug:

You probably had a decent card unlike me at the time. :)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

Depends on the game. For some precise input platformers, it makes a world of difference to me. The Metroid games for example feel insanely better on dpad to me. Or Celeste, where when you need a diagonal, only a diagonal will do, or Shovel Knight, etc. Basically, for anything 2d with controls hard-locked to the 8 directions, I will inevitably drift to the d-pad.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

sebmojo posted:

I am not a huge fan of the d pad on the Xbox controllers, tbh I don't find it that much more helpful. I like the one on the 8bitdo better imo. Spelunky was the game which finally got me to switch over to the d pad for platformers -- it just matters so much whether or not you put in the correct input, and it definitely feels easier to play accurately/well with the d pad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I checked the index thread and didn't see one for Lost Ark so: How p2w is it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zoux posted:

It’s in HMOMMO

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990778&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

It’s not bad at all actually. It’s been a really smooth launch all in all. Come join us!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

zoux posted:

Won't even notice until you hit the end game gear grind when you're constantly flipping armor to upgrade and need to farm continuous materials that get rarer and rarer to acquire in large form. But fear not, they are available in the cash shop by the boatload for the real life money as is Korean Grinder Game tradition.

99% of the people who will play this will get what they want out of it by sticking 100% to the free to play option. Most of those will be done with it within the month, if that long.

Sure is a flashy game tho.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, also apparently it has real MMO poo poo like raiding and dungeons too, I was a WoW raid leader for years and I'm pretty much done with that. I thought MMO in this context meant a little more group oriented than D3.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Did lost ark release early? I thought it comes out Friday

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Did lost ark release early? I thought it comes out Friday

3 days early if you pony up for the packs. The cheapest is $15.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gorn Myson posted:

Hulk was legit amazing at that time... wish simmy open worlds had gone w/ that style instead of increasingly uptight curated cinema assbull like red dead 2

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was getting lost ark confused with new world but i’m going to claim it’s because i knew that they’re both published by amazon and not that i have rapidly advancing senile dementia

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i was getting lost ark confused with new world but i’m going to claim it’s because i knew that they’re both published by amazon and not that i have rapidly advancing senile dementia

I keep confusing Lost Ark and Last Epoch for some reason. Or was it Lost Epoch and Last Ark?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1491126190530252805

not wildly optimistic about this one, there have been rumors of a troubled development and it's always looked like a bunch of neat-looking Russian sci-fi art assets in search of a game, but hopefully it ends up coming together

it'll also be on PC Game Pass at launch, so at least I won't have to spend any additional money to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Play posted:

Little confused what kind of game this is. Probably just a narrative point and click adventure kind of thing?

Night In The Woods but for Russians seems to be the strategy here.