Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/7/02

Brenda Starr 2/16-18/48

Smokey Stover 1/27/46

This is at least the third time Holman has recycled this particular gag.

Everyday Movies 10/28/34

"I'm sorry they disturb you next door, Miss Simpson. I asked if they had children or a dog, but should I think to ask if they had an accordion?"

Bonus driving tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Slammy posted:

So It Seems April 18, 1952

Uncle Milty being Milton Berle, the comic w/ the famously large penis. It's weird to have a media culture where there's one guy everyone agrees is funny. What would that even be today?

Zerilan posted:

He spent most of last year on a storyline started during pride month where his main gay character cheated on his partner with a homophobic woman.

From what I gather of Wallis' twitter, he's now doing another WWII storyline which is curiously kind to the Nazis.

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

It is my understanding that an annoyed rooster would basically muller a child, so Pete's extremely tough.

Of course Arlo and Janis is the one newspaper strip to have a funny take on cryptocurrency.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I had always imagined Modesty and Willie as being a decade or so older than this. (Although I suppose this is the very beginning, and they have many adventures ahead.)

In addition to this, it's interesting that Modesty's fortune is half a million pounds, which would be about £11 million today (~15 million US dollars). I suppose she might have other assets that Tarrant doesn't know about, or maybe I'm getting confused by the fact that she's often staying at the homes of old contacts or being indulged by that one billionaire friend, but I would have guessed she was worth a lot more than that.

Schwarzwald posted:

An uncommonly unheroic depiction of war from the comic.

Foster is careful to note that the women and children are unhurt, but yeah, there's no food or shelter and they have no homes to go back to. It's pretty grim.

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.
Why indeed.

I believe this is what they call a mood.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Uncle Milty being Milton Berle, the comic w/ the famously large penis. It's weird to have a media culture where there's one guy everyone agrees is funny. What would that even be today?

Of note to this thread, when he was young Milton Berle played the role of Buster Brown.

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 04, 1949)

That last panel

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

I guess Team Evans got jealous of Sally Forth. We're looking back on olden times this week.

The art is pretty ugly, but at least it looks like it was actually drawn and not just copy and pasted from a Luann asset library.

Is that her brother? He's drawn like a hairy ballsack.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

What is the number of this issue of Giant Days? It’s “self-published #4” on my computer. Useless information for continuity fans. I think, by rights, it should slot in around issue 20. But rest assured that it addresses absolutely no relevant historic plot points whatsoever. It is self contained, like an oven-ready lasagne.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Holy cow, that middle panel. Amazing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "21 - Jucika and the Heat"

"22 - Jucika and "Romeo""

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/16-18/48

I will never get over how casually sociopathic everyone in this strip is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yes but you see she was fat.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

this is a prime example of Bushmiller's writing strategy of thinking up a funny final image and then working backwards, but that slenderdog is very cute.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: neighbours (October 10-16, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

The_Other posted:

I’ve been an intern at a museum. At one point I got to help carrying around a sarcophagus that was thousands of years old, and heavy to boot!

But the highlight was when they showed me a mummified head that was the spitting image of Rudy Giuliani. I mean, chillingly similar.

That’s my mummy stories.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

BigglesSWE posted:

I’ve been an intern at a museum. At one point I got to help carrying around a sarcophagus that was thousands of years old, and heavy to boot!

But the highlight was when they showed me a mummified head that was the spitting image of Rudy Giuliani. I mean, chillingly similar.

That’s my mummy stories.
Mummies are great and people shouldn't have eaten so many of them. I hear they found a pregnant mummy and they're theorizing now why it's the first one found, given that statistically she's probably not the first mummy to have been pregnant when she died and was mummified.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's weird to have a media culture where there's one guy everyone agrees is funny. What would that even be today?

I think the closest you'd get would be Weird Al Yankovic. Not everyone is a rabid fan, but it's very rare to find someone who straight-up dislikes him.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Kids start rebelling the second they figure out how to say "no". Usually that's there 2-3rd word after "Mommy" and "more".

The preceding strips went out of their way to show us April was feeling kind of grossed out after listening to a nursery rhyme about swallowing flies and spiders and other fun animals. Even Elly seems to get that April isn't hungry. But April's not going to be able to articulate that so she does the next best thing and gets the offending food out of her field of view.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Mummies are great and people shouldn't have eaten so many of them. I hear they found a pregnant mummy and they're theorizing now why it's the first one found, given that statistically she's probably not the first mummy to have been pregnant when she died and was mummified.
Some poor historians are going to have to publish a paper that boils down to "people thought the pregnant ones had extra special magic powers and used them up".

Vater und Sohn: Air mail with penalty surcharge (03/1937)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 8, 2022

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

"My infant child is my sworn enemy. Her every waking moment is motivated by spite, born of her white-hot hatred for me. We do not negotiate with terrorists."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dad's got to have mom's back there, though. You can't be the parent swooping in to save the day once the other has made the call. Disagree all you want, but you have to take it up backstage and talk about how to handle it next time.

You're much better off with a united front. One overblown (safe, normal) punishment isn't going to affect anything long-term, but showing the kid they can run to one parent for help when the other lays down the law is going to get really messy really quickly.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 8, 2022

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

No, she's basically looking for something to distract Chako so she stops inadvertently destroying the world out of boredom.

Also melon is what got chako to be a little more thoughtful, so making a melon with Issues was clearly something the mom should've done ages ago

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: La Machine

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Huxley posted:

You're much better off with a united front.

The dad made this exact argument just the other day when they punished Michael for missing his exit off the highway.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

The_Other posted:

I just want to point out the way the three of them are all walking, but differently, in that last panel, and how well the artist drew that to suggest their different strides and attitudes.

I'm obviously not an artist but it jumped out at me, other comics usually have a sort of clone brush look for 'three or more people walking together' pose, but there's a lot of dynamic stuff going on there.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Presto posted:

The dad made this exact argument just the other day when they punished Michael for missing his exit off the highway.

Yeah, heh, I had already forgotten how that story ended. Having gone back, I now assume the comic is making my point ahead of me not just being pointlessly contradictory.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

I was going to go back to check the strip referenced, but archives on CK are messed up for me right now. I'll try again later.

Pooch Cafe

Speaking of icons like Uncle Milty, when do you think Ahhnold will stop being the universal strong-guy reference?

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I see Jules has been watching Yellowjackets

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Since I'm not likely to upload it in time the morra, have an early Blueberry, where today: Blueberry learns that money is needed in exchange for goods and services, or Blueberry has an unexpected benefactor, or So... who didn't see THIS coming?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

I just want to point out the way the three of them are all walking, but differently, in that last panel, and how well the artist drew that to suggest their different strides and attitudes.

Does anyone have a panel of a synchronized LuAnn strut?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:kimchi:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

North Star-Guided Animals

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I was going to go back to check the strip referenced, but archives on CK are messed up for me right now. I'll try again later.

I gotta say, for as long as this current storyline has dragged out, I am loving impressed that they can target the exact date in their archives when a previous plot point occurred, especially considering that some other strips lose continuity from one day to the next.

Like FOOB, for example:

Huxley posted:

Dad's got to have mom's back there, though. You can't be the parent swooping in to save the day once the other has made the call. Disagree all you want, but you have to take it up backstage and talk about how to handle it next time.

You're much better off with a united front. One overblown (safe, normal) punishment isn't going to affect anything long-term, but showing the kid they can run to one parent for help when the other lays down the law is going to get really messy really quickly.

Presto posted:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Lots of embarrassing dropped letters here, but I can't be hosed to go back and fix them at this point.

rannum posted:

Also melon is what got chako to be a little more thoughtful, so making a melon with Issues was clearly something the mom should've done ages ago
Indeed! Although we're seeing things a bit out of order here, so technically we don't know that yet. The Chako strips where she warms up to Melon Bread Melon were running kind of concurrently with these - but yes, ultimately mom's plan worked.
ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Did you mean to leave the last panel untranslated? Not that I'm sure it would help too much.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I think the last panel is just incoherent screaming, judging from the brazen bull. What's the first panel about, though?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Cobalt-60 posted:

I think the last panel is just incoherent screaming, judging from the brazen bull. What's the first panel about, though?
Yeah, it's just "Arrgh!" essentially, and the Bull of Phalaris is labeled - I figured context would help.

The first panel in all of these is just random surreal strangeness from the mind of Q-Rais. There's something sinister in his bathtub! What could it be? Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, it's just "Arrgh!" essentially, and the Bull of Phalaris is labeled - I figured context would help.

The first panel in all of these is just random surreal strangeness from the mind of Q-Rais. There's something sinister in his bathtub! What could it be? Who knows?

Ironically I could read "bull of/'s bull" without difficulty but couldn't make heads or tails of "fararisu," so thanks for clarifying.

For the first panel I liked the one a week or two ago where he was just laying on the floor staring at the ceiling. Sadly it was very relatable.