Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Everyone in that car was under 18, so I'm not sure if the handicap plate was actually registered to them or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Regardless it's extraordinarily hosed to go ableist about it.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

any dashcams especially good at heat resistance ? I can't be hosed unless I can leave one in the car @ 104-122f +

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Qmass posted:

any dashcams especially good at heat resistance ? I can't be hosed unless I can leave one in the car @ 104-122f +
anything with a capacitor and not a battery will be fine

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Cursed Intersection 2022 Update: Still Cursed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiFsUzIxgvw

Not sure how I ended up pulling that far in front of them to begin with, I must have thought/imagined they were slowing down, even though in retrospect and on camera they were doing no such thing. They'd had a red light for ~10 seconds by the time they entered the intersection so my brain probably just refused to process that anyone could be that stupid, and welp :shrug:

vvv No poo poo, I was sure I was about to get Tboned :stonk: I was afraid if I tried to turn back to the right we'd go head-to-head and figured that was the less dangerous impact option. Really don't want to know how close they actually got to me...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 12, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't change your username 🤞

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I've just realized I've never seen a protected left turn at the end of a cycle, and that is a very good example of why.

Who the gently caress designed that.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’ve seen plenty of them and I’m lost as to how it contributed to this. A red light is a red light no matter where it is in the cycle.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

I've just realized I've never seen a protected left turn at the end of a cycle, and that is a very good example of why.

A protected turn at the beginning of cycle has a different set of problems. Not sure what a perfect solution would be. A red light is a red light, that person was supposed to stop.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Nitrox posted:

A protected turn at the beginning of cycle has a different set of problems. Not sure what a perfect solution would be. A red light is a red light, that person was supposed to stop.

The solution is roundabouts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Yeah I suppose you're right, somebody running the red on the perpendicular road would be just as dangerous a crash, maybe it doesn't matter. Still seems real weird though, since knowing north american drivers you know there will be people trying to run that "yellow" and actually cross at the red.

Not arguing that that one guy didn't gently caress up bad.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I suppose you're right, somebody running the red on the perpendicular road would be just as dangerous a crash, maybe it doesn't matter. Still seems real weird though, since knowing north american drivers you know there will be people trying to run that "yellow" and actually cross at the red.

Not arguing that that one guy didn't gently caress up bad.

In my area (Phoenix) the 'lagging' left turn arrows are fairly rare. The vast majority of protected lefts are at the beginning of the cycle, not the end but supposedly the lagging lefts are safer for some reason and several of the cities in the greater metro area are experimenting with them now.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

We have trailing protected left turns in Tucson as the de facto thing. Green arrows at the beginning of a cycle are only at several intersections and there are special signs that tell you that's the case. Definitely something you end up having to think about when you drive out of town.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I dunno, we have plenty of protected left turns at the end of the cycle in my city in Sweden. It's always at 40km/h speeds though. The only problem that ever arises is that people don't understand that the green arrow means that they have priority over everyone (including pedestrians on the street they are turning onto) and just sit there waiting for traffic going the opposite way to fully stop. Doesn't happen very often though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Maybe they're waiting for traffic to stop because they don't want to participate in a collision.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nitrox posted:

Maybe they're waiting for traffic to stop because they don't want to participate in a collision.

Nah they just don't know that the green arrow means that the traffic coming the opposite way has a red light and have had it for the duration of the time. I mean if you can't trust that people will stop for a red light, it'll be pretty hard to drive in cities. Like I said, it's not a problem here beside the rare, rare occasions where what I described happened.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've never noticed if it's consistent to specific intersections, but here in :texas: you can have a left arrow pretty much any time. I assume to take into account if the cycle begins with both directions getting an arrow or only one, then that arrow goes away and both directions are green, then the direction that had the arrow goes red so the oncoming direction can have a protected left turn for a bit. Well, :airquote: protected, as I've recently learned.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The solution is roundabouts.

This would cause absolute carnage in the South and even though it would very likely shorten my own life I'd still kind of like to see the experiment...

Nitrox posted:

I think part of what got me so hosed up in my video is that it wasn't like the light had just changed and I floored it into the intersection. Oncoming direction should have had full red for about a second before the arrow even came on, meaning they'd been sitting at red for a good 8-10 full 'one mississippi' seconds before that jagoff even showed up. If you're going to drive straight at a red light for half a block and still not stop I just don't know what else can be done with you but banishment to the salt mines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of red light runners, here's one, though not anywhere near as close since I was slow off the line. Still, it must've been solid red for him for a while

It's also amazing how much stupid poo poo you come across that you just ignore without a carmera.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mobby_6kl/video/Dashcam_21.mp4

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nah they just don't know that the green arrow means that the traffic coming the opposite way has a red light and have had it for the duration of the time. I mean if you can't trust that people will stop for a red light, it'll be pretty hard to drive in cities. Like I said, it's not a problem here beside the rare, rare occasions where what I described happened.

Haha look at this rule following Swede thinking that a red light stops Americans. Driving around Stockholm was a treat ime.

I'll always wait for at least the first row of cars coming the other way to actually stop before I take the trailing left turn arrow (unless there's no one coming).

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 14, 2022

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Haha look at this rule following Swede thinking that a red light stops Americans. Driving around Stockholm was a treat ime.

I'll always wait for at least the first row of cars coming the other way to actually stop before I take the trailing left turn arrow (unless there's no one coming).

My dad drove in Florida recently and couldn’t believe how many people would just fly through dead red lights. Is it an American thing in general? Not too much of that in Canada.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Russian Bear posted:

I stop for red lights in the middle of the night on empty streets. :unsmith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What broke brain place do you live in where people don't?

I swear the biggest problem with traffic rules in general is a complete lack of enforcement.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

What broke brain place do you live in where people don't?

I swear the biggest problem with traffic rules in general is a complete lack of enforcement.

All it would take for the USA to completely fall apart would be for all 50 states to simultaneously start trying to enforce the 'no passing on the right' laws.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrOnBicycle posted:

I stop for red lights in the middle of the night on empty streets. :unsmith:

I’ve never had the urge to run red lights, even in the dead of night, but coming to a stop and then turning across the oncoming lanes?

Yeah, I would do that when visibility was good, if there were no enforcement.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Takes No Damage posted:

All it would take for the USA to completely fall apart would be for all 50 states to simultaneously start trying to enforce the 'no passing on the right' laws.

I'll stop passing on the right when people stop driving 2mph under the limit in the left lane.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

I'll stop passing on the right when people stop driving 2mph under the limit in the left lane.

Or the Pennsylvania fan favorite: get on the highway, immediately go as far left as your can go, and stubbornly stay there until 100' before your exit, then "hard to starboard, flank speed".

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ah, the jersey slide.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sharkytm posted:

Or the Pennsylvania fan favorite: get on the highway, immediately go as far left as your can go, and stubbornly stay there until 100' before your exit, then "hard to starboard, flank speed".

That’s a dramatic but harmless way to take a left exit.

“Hard to starboard” commands the helmsman to move a theoretical tiller to the starboard side of the ship, resulting in a turn to port.

On a modern vessel, such a manœuvre would be ordered as “left full rudder”.

:goonsay:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That’s dumb boats are dumb.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This is why the huge ships are winning.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

sharkytm posted:

Almost as fun as the left exit from 290 to 495 when you're towing a car trailer. Something about going the posted speed limit so you don't roll your poo poo into the woods makes everyone angry and brake check you.
Just went through this yesterday so it's still fresh in my mind....

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Got into an accident last night. A guy decided that a shoulder should be his personal turning lane, completely ignoring the fact that I was making the same right turn from an actual lane. Nobody's hurt, just some bent metal and scrapes.

Bizarre thing is, when I went to pull the footage from my blueskysea camera, that clip was nowhere to be found. I'm recording 60 second clips, and have reliable uninterrupted footage for hours before and several minutes after. Just not those 60 seconds. Could this be from the impact? I'm actually going to reach out to support and see what they say. But I've been promoting these cameras here for years now, maybe that's about to change.
Following up on this post. Turns out the camera worked fine, and it reacting to the collision and saved the footage to a designated folder. For some reason I wasn't able to get to it from the app, but it was accessible when I put the card in the computer.

And just to clarify, it is not a default setting, but something I enabled it while randomly clicking on options to "see what this does". Ugh

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

chrisgt posted:

Almost as fun as the left exit from 290 to 495 when you're towing a car trailer. Something about going the posted speed limit so you don't roll your poo poo into the woods makes everyone angry and brake check you.
Just went through this yesterday so it's still fresh in my mind....

That one's fun to be behind trucks on since you come onto 495 at the bottom of that big hill. All sorts of bad decisions at that interchange.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I got passed this morning in an active school zone. Across a double yellow line, during a winter weather advisory too. Wish I'd followed them a little bit to get their plate but I thought maybe the camera would catch it. I can't make it out. I can't hardly make out what kind of SUV it was. I thought Buick Rendevous at the time but now I don't think so... Acadia maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n6E6Hy5XNY

Anyway, seriously wtf

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CornHolio posted:

I got passed this morning in an active school zone. Across a double yellow line, during a winter weather advisory too. Wish I'd followed them a little bit to get their plate but I thought maybe the camera would catch it. I can't make it out. I can't hardly make out what kind of SUV it was. I thought Buick Rendevous at the time but now I don't think so... Acadia maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n6E6Hy5XNY

Anyway, seriously wtf

Definitely an Acadia. What an rear end in a top hat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Nextbase knocked $80 off the 622GW's MSRP so I bit and got even more off with the code NBDVRS210, and got the rear camera and the hardwire kit.

I didn't bite on their overpriced 256GB MicroSD card, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well I got rearended pretty hard today in my Volvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWO2ZjWIVY

Basically I was doing 55 in the left lane of US20 (my left turn was about a quarter mile away but I wasn't slowing down or anything yet) and a Jeep Renegade hit me doing ~80-90, then took off. My guess is they still had the cruise set from the limited access part of the bypass (where the speed limit is 65, though it's 50 where I was hit) and were just not paying attention. I tailed them while I called 911 and they tracked the parents down (it was registered in their name, and insured thankfully) and finally got ahold of him. He admitted fault and claims he 'dozed off.' I have the option to press charges for fleeing but I'm thinking I won't. I wish I had a rear-facing camera (which would have showed his speed coming up on me) but alas I don't.

His insurance is the same as mine. I have liability only on it but since he's at fault, my guess is they're going to want to total it and give me a few grand. My plan, assuming that's the case, is to buy it back from salvage. It's my winter beater and I've had it for 13 years. The heat works great, it's a 5-speed and I've got studded snow tires on it. My fear is that the impact caused other damage - the dash is now fully detached from the cowl and the ABS light is on. The battery was disconnected after I stopped, but moving the battery around seems to have fixed it. Runs and drives OK as far as I can tell.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's terrible, I'm sorry. You should absolutely make sure they get dinged for fleeing the scene, because it's done so often and so recklessly, feel like someone needs to be taught a lesson.

Also, don't settle for the amount offered. Used car prices are a circus right now, your car is definitely worth more than what estimate algorithm thinks it does.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Probably a good case to be made that you speak with an injury attorney. They only get paid when they win the case. You'll make more money out of it and have to do less work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What was the excuse for fleeing? Still asleep?