Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

do people think nuclear power plants spit out radiation?

the basis of most people's knowledge of nuclear power starts and ends at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

Simpsons did a lot to make people think nuke plants do this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like how everyone thinks nuclear power creates acid rain because both of those things were around at the same time

thats not even a specific dig at the simpsons ive seen it show up in foreign media too

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/spiritwolfabove/status/1491088729137885184?s=21

I love this criticism - isn’t capitalism like that what America is all about?

Wait until she finds out most Olympic athletes regardless of nation compete in the NCAA.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

coal plants do

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

sexpig by night posted:

they do think this yes.

nuke plants leak less radiation than fossil fuel plants lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i keep hearing that apparently nobody knows anything about eileen gus father except that hes harvard educated gee i wonder where she got the idea that white people suck and should gently caress off

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/spiritwolfabove/status/1491088729137885184?s=21

I love this criticism - isn’t capitalism like that what America is all about?

hard to imagine why a young woman wouldn't want to be on the team infested with perverts and molesters

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eggplant Squire posted:

tbf so did the American nuclear weapons industry.

Like they burned nuclear waste at night to avoid people in Denver seeing the smoke, “disposed” of waste in “bottomless holes” that went straight to the aquifer, lied to workers about what they were touching with their bare hands, melted down a reactor just outside of LA, rats would get into the glove boxes, etc

The nuclear weapons industry has a vastly downplayed role in ruining trust in nuclear power plants.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Like they burned nuclear waste at night to avoid people in Denver seeing the smoke, “disposed” of waste in “bottomless holes” that went straight to the aquifer, lied to workers about what they were touching with their bare hands, melted down a reactor just outside of LA, rats would get into the glove boxes, etc

but the other energy companies they competed with didnt do this stuff right :)

but the other energy companies they competed with didnt do this stuff right :catstare:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Phone posted:

is that ian fidance

lol thats ari shaffir

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

but the other energy companies they competed with didnt do this stuff right :)

but the other energy companies they competed with didnt do this stuff right :catstare:

That’s all stuff the nuclear weapons industry did (with legal immunity of course!)

But they’re also the same companies profiting off of all the energy sources, Bechtel gets paid always.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

i should have put a content warning in that post for regarde aduck if he's still hate-reading this thread

Of course they are. The tankie thread is shut down, so they lurk here for the hate reading.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trabisnikof posted:

That’s all stuff the nuclear weapons industry did (with legal immunity of course!)

But they’re also the same companies profiting off of all the energy sources, Bechtel gets paid always.

this post fails the Bechtel test

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

This is very appropriate because Donald Trump was, and might be again, far and away the best American president in the sense of being most representative of who America is and what it stands for

The fast food state dinner was possibly the peak American moment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Jaccuse1/status/1491114645431922688?t=meS8XFXdCecLoRkKeMCWIA&s=19

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Eggplant Squire posted:

She ate our American hamburgers, watched our American reality TV shows and Marvel movies.... This betrayal....

she grew so strong from our high test american anti-asian racism, she owes us

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

brett's right about the DumocRats

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

It’s not even a nuclear power plant, it’s a steel mill

I think that's probably worse on a normal day but I'm also talking out of my rear end

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/cryptidocto/status/1491104270271528961

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Rubellavator posted:

I think that's probably worse on a normal day but I'm also talking out of my rear end

burning fossil fuels does pump out radioactive material.

coal plants are worse for radiation than nuke plants because the exhaust gets vented into the atmosphere and it's going to contain any metals that were in the coal

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacemang_spliff posted:

burning fossil fuels does pump out radioactive material.

coal plants are worse for radiation than nuke plants because the exhaust gets vented into the atmosphere and it's going to contain any metals that were in the coal

and you literally burn more pounds of uranium getting X GJ of energy from a coal plant than the fuel rod’s uranium for an equivalent amount of power at a nuke plant

you’re burning more uranium when you use coal. nuke plants bury the pollutants, coal plants spew them into the air

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The image that most people associate with nuclear power are the circulating water cooling towers with literal fog coming out and aren't told that the process is three steps removed from contact with radioactive material. It isn't farfetched to think that nuclear plants are spreading radiation everywhere because of how those towers are used as media shorthand for nuclear power plants and flashed on the TV screen every time there is a nuclear incident.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think they should do the winter olypics on a big mountain or whatever where there is snow naturally? and pine trees or whatever. like in switzerland or some poo poo. seems silly to make the fake snow. its a competition for amateurs, it should be scenic? ????

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
they should destroy the united states of america and hold every olympics in the smoldering craters left behind as a warning to other dumbasses

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the milk machine posted:

they should destroy the united states of america

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm bored by most of the Olympics

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Good soup! posted:

i havent watched a single minute :grin:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Good soup! posted:

the winter Olympics suck

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Eggplant Squire posted:

Sadly the only true thing in the Simpsons is Homer being an average American. Now excuse me i have anti-gel to put in my wine.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

i think they should do the winter olypics on a big mountain or whatever where there is snow naturally? and pine trees or whatever. like in switzerland or some poo poo. seems silly to make the fake snow. its a competition for amateurs, it should be scenic? ????

the winter olympics should be known as the "Gimmick Sports" olympics and be the one that rotates between countries.

the summer olympics should be known as the "Real Sports" olympics and they should create a manmade island at 0.00 longitude 0.00 latitude that exists only to host the Real Sports Olympics and is ruled over by a benevolent AI known as OLYMPIAD who is programmed to judge these games

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Trabisnikof posted:

The nuclear weapons industry has a vastly downplayed role in ruining trust in nuclear power plants.

I took a tour of Hanford years ago (they found a leak in one of the vitrification chambers a couple days after and cancelled all tours indefinitely lol) and there were so many nondescript concrete bunkers that we were told we were not allowed to get within a mile of because it would make your blood evaporate or some other insane thing just rotting in the desert waiting for civilization to collapse. seeing all the old nuclear submarine reactors hanging out in a big ditch was pretty cool too. they didn’t tell me if they could be refueled and spun up again should the want arise, and they also didn’t let me take any pics :(

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Free college just got stripped out of Build Back Better.

Mark my words, if Joe doesn't step up and find a way to accomplish things that Americans want, he will lose in 2024 and we will have a real fascist in the white house.

Am I still voting for him? It angers me, but yes. Of course. I don't want my loved ones to suffer even more. That said, he's done a terrible job so f[I fuckin lost interest because motherfucker gonna vote for Biden regardless]

Good soup! posted:

There are two types of Olympic competitions: curling and not-curling.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hockey is cool because hockey is, by itself, cool, awesome, and very good but eh, everything else is kind of boring and I actually enjoy the hell out of skiing too

Wake me when they add CSGO to the events

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the winter olympics should be known as the "Gimmick Sports" olympics and be the one that rotates between countries.

the summer olympics should be known as the "Real Sports" olympics and they should create a manmade island at 0.00 longitude 0.00 latitude that exists only to host the Real Sports Olympics and is ruled over by a benevolent AI known as OLYMPIAD who is programmed to judge these games

shouldnt they do them in greece or something ? ???

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

no

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Good soup! posted:

Hockey is cool because hockey is, by itself, cool, awesome, and very good but eh, everything else is kind of boring and I actually enjoy the hell out of skiing too

Wake me when they add CSGO to the events

they already combined skiing & shooting, just need to add a bomb defusing event

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
starcraft/dota/csgo winter olympics would pwn

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

if you have the olympics in a place without snow they should just make them ski down dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Smythe posted:

good point we should have oil wrestling