Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Joe Fisto posted:

Joes and Jeffs are natural enemies

Can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

Can confirm.

How do you feel about Geoffs?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

How do you feel about Geoffs?

Those are the worst.

Joe's and Jeff's put aside their eternal war to unite against that threat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Y'ever think about how Korg is playing a PS4 in Endgame and people were like "That's weird. This is supposed to be in the future. Shouldn't he be playing on a next-gen console?"

And now here we are.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Jamesman posted:

Y'ever think about how Korg is playing a PS4 in Endgame and people were like "That's weird. This is supposed to be in the future. Shouldn't he be playing on a next-gen console?"

And now here we are.

If it was really the future Miek would’ve been an NFT. Immersion ruined

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

hiddenriverninja posted:

The only thing good about TLA is the score.

Despite the original creators leaving, I'm interested in the Netflix adaptation based solely on the casting.

Same, rumor is the original creators were the ones trying to sex it up. Now it's got an Asian production staff so I'm in to try, can't be worse then bebop, which actually wasn't as bad as the Internet would have you believe

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I loved Bebop, I fundamentally do not understand what's wrong with the internet.

You'd think after 2 decades on this dead gay forum I'd have learned something.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I loved Bebop, I fundamentally do not understand what's wrong with the internet.

The anime is good? I don’t think anyone hates that? Oh wait y’all meant the Netflix show. Yeah that was loving trash top to bottom. It was made by a showrunner completely incapable of understanding the core of the original show and sanitized the hell out of it, leaving us with a product devoid of a soul.

Like this is who made the show

https://twitter.com/wired/status/1458595164532797447?s=21

Cowboy Bebop but let’s avoid painting a dystopian future sums it up perfectly.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 7, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They did Jet's backstory real dirty, too. Putting it down to just his partner being crooked? Nah.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bushisms.txt posted:

Same, rumor is the original creators were the ones trying to sex it up. Now it's got an Asian production staff so I'm in to try, can't be worse then bebop, which actually wasn't as bad as the Internet would have you believe

This is the first I've heard of this. I've heard them in interviews and they seem like decent dudes?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

This is the first I've heard of this. I've heard them in interviews and they seem like decent dudes?

It is a lot of a adding up of the past, plus the initial rumors. Their writing partner left to do the dragon prince, and apparently they were the Benz to the other two's Housers. So they did Korra, which already has a bunch of that. Then they go to Netflix and the rumors start and they leave. Now we see the Netflix cast is age appropriate, so yeah.

And the only "problem" with Bebop seemed to be they didn't ape the show, which I appreciate as there's no way they'll hit that. Instead we got future sin city style noir which I'm all for. I liked that they went pure pulp but still have great solemn bits. And vicious looked like a guy who still plays with swords at 40+ years old so I thought they knocked it out of the park in his regard.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was hoping Avatar would eventually go to the original concept with the avatar or whoever having to survive in a cyberpunk setting and benders were rare, so just hop to a new time period like Korra did (which was awesome)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The problem with Bebop was they aped the anime too much. It it tries to be campy but ends up coming off as just bad most of the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bushisms.txt posted:

If it helps I've read they left because it was Netflix who wanted adult stuff and they still wanted it aimed at kids. Also more standard stuff like Netflix getting upset at the budget, etc.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

bushisms.txt posted:

And the only "problem" with Bebop seemed to be they didn't ape the show

Well that and it was badly written. And acted. And lit. And scored. And directed. And it was just bad, in every single way, from top to bottom.

But other than that it was cool.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The cast was not the problem with Bebop at all. Also claiming the score was bad is pretty hilarious given who they got to do it.

I'm not gonna say it's some hidden gem (the episodes I watched were middling-at-best and the Vicious scenes were actively painful), but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Arist posted:

The cast was not the problem with Bebop at all. Also claiming the score was bad is pretty hilarious given who they got to do it.

I'm not gonna say it's some hidden gem (the episodes I watched were middling-at-best and the Vicious scenes were actively painful), but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

It is ok to say something sucks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is, and people should just say that instead of trying to sound like they know what they’re talking about and inevitably being wrong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can't even give the cast a pass when only one of them was good (Mustafa), two of them were given poo poo to work with (Daniella and Eden), and one was completely wrong for the part. John Cho, who is really good, dropped the ball on Spike pretty bad. It wasn't even an age thing. Aging up Spike to fit his backstory is actually pretty reasonable! But he played Spike as a bitter, broken, sullen man with little to no charisma.

Seriously. There's a reason for Netflix, who loves to piss money away, bailed on the show like 3 days after it released. It was about as big a miss you could make.

The soundtrack IS aces though. Definitely give it a listen

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

.....loving trash top to bottom.....core of the original show.... sanitized the hell out of it.....devoid of a soul....dystopian future

This is what I'm talking about. I watched both series back to back, you people are insane.

Anime fans love to ignore 2 dementional characters, arbitrary motivations, the same 5 tired tropes, glacial pacing, stilted monologing, unbalanced animation quality due to budget, racist and sexist archetypes, filler episodes, and voice "acting" but turn around and poo poo on a Sci-Fi show with a streaming budget because it wasn't directed by Denis Villeneuve. Sorry but your precious cartoon wasn't that good.

VVVVVV Well yeah, obviously but this "infallible masterpiece vs. absolute dogshit" is some blinders on biased nonsense.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 8, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Nah Cowboy Bebop the Anime really was just better

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 8, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finally watched Eternals. I enjoyed it although it’s definitely a little overstuffed and dense and the first half pacing/back and forth was a bit uneven. I think it did eventually come together but it felt like a movie that had its prequel condensed in or something. It actually probably would have worked better as a miniseries that could have given more time to some of the under used Eternals or Whitman or backstory. The biggest problem is I think Gilgamesh’s death kind of gets lost a bit in all that dense first act stuff. I liked him and I was sad he died but so many characters were coming and going that it didn’t feel like it had the room to have it’s proper impact. But I liked it in the end and I think it set up a lot of stuff in the ever expanding MCU universe. That feels like the theme of Phase 4. Not so much sequels but a dozen different strings and characters that could go a lot of places.

I also finished the last of the Netflix Marvel shows yesterday. They have their ups and downs and I know I'm more forgiving of them (or other stuff like Netflix's Cowboy Bebop) that most around here. But all in all I enjoyed them and they were a cool little corner of the MCU that I'm glad/hopeful to see reemerge. Although having watched them since before Christmas boy I'm glad to take a break from them for a bit.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 8, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arist posted:

The cast was not the problem with Bebop at all.

Of course not. They were one of many problems, as I said. Most of them were just ridiculously cast and could not pull off a compelling performance in the roles. Alex Hassel, Elena Satine, Daniella Pineda.....I would say on the charitable side 80% of every single role they cast for the loving thing was misplaced or actively bad. Not the actors in those roles, they've mostly all done much better work, but in those roles in particular? Dogshit. And part of that goes to other things.....like the writing and directing, which were also bad.

quote:

Also claiming the score was bad is pretty hilarious given who they got to do it.

The score to a movie or tv series isn't someone's Spotify playlist, it's how the music is layered into the work itself. And there are some really good songs used in really terrible and out of place spots throughout the entirety of the Netflix show. Top to bottom. Some of them entirely for callback reasons, like Green Bird. It doesn't fit the tv show, but the anime did it so just play it. So much of the series seems performative rather than expressive, like they didn't have anything to say but just wanted to do a thing because they felt it was what needed to be done.

There wasn't a single interesting choice made in the entire run of the Netflix series. Not one. That is a criminal waste of talent and potential, and I'm glad that show died a dog's death.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I watched the first 6 eps of Bebop the anime and found it incredibly dull.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

bushisms.txt posted:

It is a lot of a adding up of the past, plus the initial rumors. Their writing partner left to do the dragon prince, and apparently they were the Benz to the other two's Housers. So they did Korra, which already has a bunch of that. Then they go to Netflix and the rumors start and they leave. Now we see the Netflix cast is age appropriate, so yeah.

saying the guy who left to do the dragon prince was the benz is giving that guy a lot of credit

The only rumor I've heard about the netflix avatar drama is that netflix was pushing for a katara/zuko romance because they believed no one would watch the show without romance drama which is a wild thing to say about an already proven property but, y'know, netflix executives.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show already has romance drama.

It’s gross if depicted in live action because it’s between toddlers though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Joe Fisto posted:

I think its Cersy, Geoff

Yes?

Rhyno posted:

Those are the worst.

Joe's and Jeff's put aside their eternal war to unite against that threat.

This explains why i get punched in the back of the head every so often, the eternal war Joes and Jeffs have against me. You'd thing the Gregs would be on our side but nope they refuse to get involved.

Gaz-L posted:

Look, blame Jack Kirby for that. Same reason it's Darkseid.

Kirby is like Kojima, brilliant creative geniuses that are terrible at naming stuff.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

twistedmentat posted:

Kirby is like Kojima, brilliant creative geniuses that are terrible at naming stuff.

They both sort of wrap around to being fantastic in that campy way though. Gimme Awesome Android and Psycho Mantis all day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kirby is bad at naming stuff? How dare you

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ah gently caress I forgot that was Kirby, my deepest apologies to the Kangarat Murder Society

Ror fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't have the skills for it but one day I'd love to see a poster for a fake music festival with all the band names taken from that map.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

I don't have the skills for it but one day I'd love to see a poster for a fake music festival with all the band names taken from that map.

I have no musical abilities at all but if I did and started a band we would be "Island of the god watchers"

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I'm finally reading the original fourth world stuff right now, and man, some of these names. It took me way, way too long to recognize "Scott Free" as the extremely obvious pun that it is. Or calling a religious-revival-leader supervillain "Godfrey". And you've got Orion running around calling himself O'Ryan.

Then the man turns around and lays "the tiger-force at the core of all things" on me and I can't get the phrase out of my head for days.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I hope they release trades of Kamandi, I really want to read it but oof those omnibuses are big and heavy.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

saying the guy who left to do the dragon prince was the benz is giving that guy a lot of credit

The only rumor I've heard about the netflix avatar drama is that netflix was pushing for a katara/zuko romance because they believed no one would watch the show without romance drama which is a wild thing to say about an already proven property but, y'know, netflix executives.
People originally ascribed that to Netflix but the two creators are the ones who did Korra which already has that drama. And if it was Netflix that was doing it, the cast wouldn't be what it is now.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Mad-Hole! Country of the Screamers!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite is orangutans surfing civilization. Saw them at Massy Hall twice!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

I hope they release trades of Kamandi, I really want to read it but oof those omnibuses are big and heavy.

There were smaller hardcovers some years ago.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
poo poo, looks like I'm stuck in the radiation barrier. I knew I should have moved up to Strange Fire Area when I had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Greetings from the *squints eyes* Wild Human Preserve?

what the gently caress Kirby?!