Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pink Mist posted:

Broken clocks. I wonder if the CDC could have reached these people with cohesive policy or if they would’ve plugged their ears up either way.

I know a half dozen people, most of whom are parents, all of whom are basically brunch libs, who were religiously following CDC guidance until Omicron and the 5 day isolation change. They all came to the conclusion that the CDC hosed up the masking guidance with Delta but all chose to gave them a mulligan on that because gosh these variants who could have known (yes, I realize that's bs but they bought it).

Not this time. They are now going their own separate ways now; some crack pinging and thinking about respirator crew, most give-upping entirely, one going hard right into the Rogan-o-verse. I don't have anyone in my circle who is still whole-heartedly pointing to the CDC for their decisions.

So yeah tons of people were listening to the CDC and stopped quite recently because the series of gently caress-ups became too large and too hosed up to ignore, even for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Joementum posted:

people refusing to vaccinate their kids is going to continue to be a huge problem

Yes, but it only becomes a problem if Vermont lifts its school mask mandate.
https://www.wcax.com/2022/02/08/watch-live-scott-covid-briefing/

quote:

Scott said he has heard from some students who may be fine with wearing masks themselves, but said that they forgot what some of their classmates looked like over the past two years.
Solid loving reasoning.

Guess my kindergartner is getting covid. :(

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

People didn't get tired of following public health guidance, imo. They got tired of being loving lied to, the guidance being bullshit, and the constant false promises and subsequent back-tracking.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Mr. Pizza posted:

- Church trumps all. When there's no actual anti-vax argument left, church/faith jumps right in and there's no argument left to be had. It's all couched in its own lingo that sounds bizarre to an areligious, and it makes everything else moot. This is true across demographics/political ideologies.

My MIL is very incredibly super Baptist, like her religion touches every aspect of her life and it’s been a real bummer seeing her fall out with her church and lose lifelong friendships because she thinks it goes against God to willingly spread plague and not protect the vulnerable. Like I’m not surprised that her church was largely full of people who just use God as an excuse to do whatever they want but she was and I can’t imagine how hard it is to be alienated by a community you’ve relied on your whole life and to learn that most of the people you know are cool with killing each other.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

My MIL is very incredibly super Baptist, like her religion touches every aspect of her life and it’s been a real bummer seeing her fall out with her church and lose lifelong friendships because she thinks it goes against God to willingly spread plague and not protect the vulnerable. Like I’m not surprised that her church was largely full of people who just use God as an excuse to do whatever they want but she was and I can’t imagine how hard it is to be alienated by a community you’ve relied on your whole life and to learn that most of the people you know are cool with killing each other.

Hyper disillusionment is going around these days

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just got notice that they'll be doing lead paint inspection of my apartment next week so i need to let the apartment manager in and have them walk through the whole place :mad:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

When I moved to the Midwest I quickly discovered no one here could make even passable southern food so I would type in something like “creole jambalaya” in YouTube, watch a bunch of home cook videos until I found someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, try the recipe to see if it was close to what I wanted and then tweak the recipe until it tasted like how I remember it should. This doesn’t work for food that requires special equipment you can’t have at home but it’s been a reliable way of making the foods I missed. I searched “injera recipe” on YouTube and found a bunch of videos in English or with English captions so that might be worth trying.

one of the few truly great things about the internet is how it has made cooking knowledge so accessible

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

People didn't get tired of following public health guidance, imo. They got tired of being loving lied to, the guidance being bullshit, and the constant false promises and subsequent back-tracking.

good summary

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

It's definitely this. The early stuff could be excused as crappy guidance due to a rapidly evolving situation but it has just been more and more apparent that all of their guidance is based around propping up the economy with the absolute most minimal consideration possible for people's health. It's not worth paying attention to anything the CDC says at this point and I think that all of the people who have genuine concern about COVID are aware of that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

The cynic in me thinks that the CDC discrediting itself was deliberate

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dolphin posted:

No one can make good injera except people who have been doing it for years. It's like trying to make a good croissant.

injera is extremely easy to make. it's literally just a sourdough pancake

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

that actually seems less cynical to me than thinking they just really are that stupid and always have been, though.

Apr 7, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

that actually seems less cynical to me than thinking they just really are that stupid and always have been, though.

The entire Federalist / Heritage thing for decades has been to destroy federal government institutions and return us to a pre-1910 state of affairs where the Feds had very little impact on your day to day life. By 2022 it's not too hard to believe that Democrats are in on it too, or at the very least indifferent.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh joy, it's the traditional "we just hired someone, lets parade them around the building."

Cloth mask. At least she's trying I guess.

I'm just so tired, of all this poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

The Trump admin swept a lot of the career non-political civil servants out of the government and replaced them with idiot grifters and Biden's done nothing to reverse that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

honestly it's probably not wrong given the agenda of the Trump admin to purposefully undermine government branches in an attempt to privatize industries, remove regulations, and destroy "big government".

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol the only time i've showed anyone my vax card this entire time was when we had our cat put down and in order to enter the vets office we both had to show our cards. And wear masks the whole time. The vets office actually had the absolute best etiquette of anywhere i've been/seen

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Joementum posted:

just got notice that they'll be doing lead paint inspection of my apartment next week so i need to let the apartment manager in and have them walk through the whole place :mad:

If it's in one unit, wouldn't it likely be in all? It might be worth a shot to call them and tell them you're immunocompromised, maybe they'll skip your unit. And if they won't back down, you might be able to negotiate down to their having to wear an N95.

Do you have a Corsi Cube or air purifier?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
was at Costco today. they have 3m 20x20x1 merv 13 equivalent filters for 10 bucks a piece if anyone is looking.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Why Am I So Tired posted:

If it's in one unit, wouldn't it likely be in all? It might be worth a shot to call them and tell them you're immunocompromised, maybe they'll skip your unit. And if they won't back down, you might be able to negotiate down to their having to wear an N95.

Do you have a Corsi Cube or air purifier?

yeah, i have an air purifier. this is a VT state inspection requirement, so i don't think i can get out of it. i guess the state waived it the last couple years. they only spend a few minutes in the apartment and just walk through each room to see if the paint on the walls is chipping. i'll have to ask them about the mask and then figure out what to do about testing afterwards.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

why. how many people die of lead paint every day? what's the issue with lead paint.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rauros posted:

sorry, in my mind i don't even consider hematopoiesis of t cells happening as an adult, but i guess a few do still trickle through the thymus for training.

yeah, this paper implies that if you lose your initially juvenile-trained thymus t cells, the system breaks down. you can't really make new ones from scratch effectively. AJ argues that if they all get wiped out, you maybe can get one reboot before your immune system collapses.

Naïve T cell maintenance and function in human aging
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4452284/

"T cell replenishment is unique in that it not only has to maintain compartment size, but also TCR diversity. Unlike in B cells, generation of new T cell specificities entirely relies on thymic production and cannot be accomplished by expansion and modification of naïve T cells.
Since thymic T cell production only minimally contributes to T cell generation throughout adult life, naïve T cells have to be self-sufficient in regenerating themselves to maintain compartment size."

Ok, that's under relatively steady-state conditions. The assumption is that with a large enough depletion due to covid, the naive T cell compartment would never regenerate.

I don't know if I buy that. Patients of all ages with autoimmune bone marrow failure diseases are routinely treated with anti-thymocyte globulin, which globally deletes T cells, and their cell numbers pop right back up after recovery.

Edit. ATG does what AJ proposes covid is doing, and the T cell compartment recovers anyway.

Nothus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 8, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DoctorNatasha/status/1490695247868960782?s=20&t=vut202o5Gp0b1hKV7A2H6g
https://twitter.com/jenbotjones/status/1490700310591029251?s=20&t=vut202o5Gp0b1hKV7A2H6g

sudden end of the Illinois mask mandate going well
https://twitter.com/il_fps/status/1490877428469694468?s=20&t=l5ykfb5l47rQwLyHAZrqtg
https://twitter.com/il_fps/status/1490877431284400130?s=20&t=l5ykfb5l47rQwLyHAZrqtg

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

wish you privileged mfers would stop bragging about your dentist visits

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
illinois seems like an overall really lovely state

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shifty Nipples posted:

wish you privileged mfers would stop bragging about your dentist visits

Last year I did 3 cleanings just because I could.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Atrocious Joe posted:

why. how many people die of lead paint every day? what's the issue with lead paint.

It's not about lead paint. It's about making sure you aren't growing weed / cooking meth / leaving giant piles of rotting garbage all through the unit. Various places I've lived have done things like having maintenance staff replace the HVAC filters and fire alarm batteries to accomplish the same purpose. I don't particularly mind as long as it's announced well in advance.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Thoguh posted:

2 out of 3 people either really want masking or are fine with it but instead we're getting rid of it.

Those 2 out 3 people aren't gonna show up with guns outside city hall or harass public officials about it, and chances are they probably aren't even going to change how they vote or donate over it, so no one in power will ever care how they feel.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Thank you for this bit of what should be common sense. Drives me absolutely insane that people don't realize this.

I post on another self-described leftist forum and their COVID thread is essentially "go out to eat, support restaurants or the owners will close them and then they're gone and that's sad!" and "no more mask mandates or indoor dining restrictions, they're bad for restaurant profits!" Amazing how many leftists ultimately revealed themselves as lovely libertarian ghouls the second their hobbies got threatened (or more accurately not even threatened, just with a background of people wearing masks).

COVID has been absolutely slaughtering kitchen workers, if I'm remembering correctly it was like the number one or two most dangerous job. gently caress restaurants.

A lot of self described leftists are liberals who are embarrassed about being liberals and just want capitalism to be more lenient by redistributing some of the profits made by plundering the world.

The ones who stick by Communism (and probably Anarchism) are more likely to be fitting the colloquial intended definition of a leftist.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

silicone thrills posted:

lol the only time i've showed anyone my vax card this entire time was when we had our cat put down and in order to enter the vets office we both had to show our cards. And wear masks the whole time. The vets office actually had the absolute best etiquette of anywhere i've been/seen

I got carded at Shillings Cider House in Fremont when the vaxx card requirement first started. I wasn't even staying to drink, I just was picking up some tall boys to go.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

But do not have a dinner party.

I’m def not doing. thank you for the info. may invest in the blast with tax return money. I have two coways but we don’t run them on high because they’re loud.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

tuyop posted:

Another question about secureclick cartridges. These two will both be effective at blocking COVID aerosols, right? I'm hoping the P95s will be more pleasant for exercise since if the hospital load goes down I'd like to resume riding my bicycle everywhere.

I'm on mobile so I'm not going to dig it up but in my posts I have a trip report about exercise with the p100. It causes functionally no difficulty breathing, may even actually be easier than unmasked (air quality in my neighborhood is especially bad). Some discomfort on my nose.

For reference that is for running about 10k with a few lbs backpack of work clothes. My knee got jammed when I slipped a week or so ago so I haven't been running this week but I still wear it while doing push-ups etc, it's not been a real hindrance.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Kylaer posted:

It's not about lead paint. It's about making sure you aren't growing weed / cooking meth / leaving giant piles of rotting garbage all through the unit. Various places I've lived have done things like having maintenance staff replace the HVAC filters and fire alarm batteries to accomplish the same purpose. I don't particularly mind as long as it's announced well in advance.

And why the gently caress they would even care? I rented this place, I should have the freedom to do whatever I want in my own place.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Last year I did 3 cleanings just because I could.

Congratulations society thinks you matter more than me.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1490831744861294593?s=20&t=vut202o5Gp0b1hKV7A2H6g

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

gently caress it’s me if you replace Facebook with hunt showdown

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

luv 2 get menaced by a driver in a grocery store parking lot

pushed my cart down the aisle after he backed out but I guess he thought I kept him from turning to leave or was
in his way or something

laid on his horn and dodged his SUV at me like he was going to run me over, then misses me by less than a foot.

the gently caress is wrong with people

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm going to try searching at my computer later but if anyone wants to drop some good info/data on masks in schools and that they work etc that'd be super swell. Trying to convince libs that love data, because common sense isn't enough here.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mdemone posted:

luv 2 get menaced by a driver in a grocery store parking lot

pushed my cart down the aisle after he backed out but I guess he thought I kept him from turning to leave or was
in his way or something

laid on his horn and dodged his SUV at me like he was going to run me over, then misses me by less than a foot.

the gently caress is wrong with people

Brain damage from asymptomatic COVID

I'm telling y'all, the asteroid has already hit, but the shockwave won't get here for another few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

NeonPunk posted:

And why the gently caress they would even care? I rented this place, I should have the freedom to do whatever I want in my own place.

sadly it's not your place