Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gentle goons, keep your hype levels in check until you hear what AYN's resolution will be on the busted shoulder button issue. I'm not saying to cancel but know what you are going into. If it was a simple fix like having to clear out some debris or just a misaligned pad then I wouldn't be so vocal. Sure call me Chicken Little or accuse me of FUD but I found a video that seems to be what I have going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2BJt2ogLvI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The guy is yelling in his profile picture why would trust that

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Guys yelling in their profile pictures are the prime demographic to have bought this thing early (and thus discovered the faults early)

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
That's a real shame, because you can buy switches like those for pennies off of AliExpress. What a bullshit thing to cut corners on.

These aren't too difficult to replace in the event that everyone is left high and dry, so don't give up all hope just yet. I don't know how these ones in particular operate, but the switches that many other consoles use (eg: NDS, OGA, GBM) have a VERY small concave disc inside that pops in and out when you press the button. If you're patient and have a steady hand, you can disassemble these switches with some precision tweezers or a very small flathead screwdriver and replace/clean these discs without any soldering. If you're half decent at soldering, that may be a better way to go depending on what exactly the issue is - but just note the positional tolerance (x,y,z) of these buttons needs to be very close to bang-on without the button feeling "off," even if it is functional after.

EDIT: Actually, a related question - some of Anbernic's devices were designed without proper rear support for these switches that protrude 90 degrees off the board, which results in them breaking off quite often. Does anyone know if this could be the case for these? If so, it might not be a bad idea to open these up and see about putting some hot glue behind the switches to reinforce them.

pig labeled 3 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 7, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Watched Russ’s video last night on the Odin and it’s really good obviously. A few things though, it wasn’t clear if he was using the nightly build of Dolphin MMJ which supposedly dramatically improves GC on the thing.

Also his complaints about the right analog stick while gaming in android are valid but it can be fixed pretty simply in the software. Another video I saw went into detail about it and provided the steps for a fix.

The battery life on the thing really is insane and it definitely has a leg up on the steam deck when it comes to that.

Emulation on the deck is gonna chew through that battery.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The deck is also straight up massive. I get that you're supposed to be able to do a ton with it, but it's like "lol xbox heug" meme levels of large.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

beep-beep car is go posted:

The deck is also straight up massive. I get that you're supposed to be able to do a ton with it, but it's like "lol xbox heug" meme levels of large.

Make one without the dumb touch pads, make it the size of the Odin or so and I’ll buy one.

Even if it’s a less powerful “lite” version to accommodate the size. Bring it. Sell it to me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Steam Deck Early Review Embargo is up, expect a lot of reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UB9XoPlJ0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZ4POvk14c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQH__XVa64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKd0nr6uYw

More Odin Videos of Gamecube Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKeZBXNLhnw

Rolo posted:

Make one without the dumb touch pads, make it the size of the Odin or so and I’ll buy one.

Even if it’s a less powerful “lite” version to accommodate the size. Bring it. Sell it to me.
I wonder how well various games will run on the Odin Pro running Windows ARM with the translation layer. We've already seen some old 360 era games be surprisingly playable at around 30fps, but various modern indie games that don't have very demanding graphics are an open question.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 7, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The United States posted:

I wonder how well various games will run on the Odin Pro running Windows ARM with the translation layer. We've already seen some old 360 era games be surprisingly playable at around 30fps, but various modern indie games that don't have very demanding graphics are an open question.

Hopefully well enough. Even though I don’t like the steam deck enough to spend that much, I hope the portable PC gaming thing kicks off well enough that it becomes more mainstream.

I’m giving up on the Switch ever having reliable older games. Renting N64 games that aren’t even ported well in 2022? My rear end.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally got around to updating to the newest stable 351Elec and the stock filters/borders for GB and GBC are great. I no longer feel like a chump using proper scaling.

Playing some Pokémon pinball and noticed the stock settings also got rumble working on my 351V, something that hadn’t previously.

Man Pokémon pinball is solid pinball. Kirby pinball too.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

These are both handheld gaming systems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its the PS5 of handhelds, although at least the buttons are in the correct order.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the RP2+ is what I’m after if I want something that could play PS and Dreamcast stuff right?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's the same size as a Switch with Hori Split Pads. Which is hella big but you don't really think about it when you're actually playing. As long as the Deck's ergonomics are good I don't care how stupid it looks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MechaSeinfeld posted:

the RP2+ is what I’m after if I want something that could play PS and Dreamcast stuff right?

if you’re trying to do it relatively cheaply, yes

the og rp2 (which i still gotta upgrade rip lmao) could handle 95% of the psx library and most dreamcast games. i imagine the rp2+ will do just fine out of the box

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Froist posted:

Missed opportunity not using a GB Micro

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I always kinda figured it would be about 2 GBAs wide

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ChiTownEddie posted:

Holy crap, RGC's first of three Ayn Odin videos is 50min long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9-5fdpicg
RGC Ayn Odin Part 2 - microstutter confirmed out of the box, but fixable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PliCqMdmUbM

Taki Udon Ayn Odin Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NaQR9eVDB8

Froist posted:

These are all handheld game systems

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 8, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally pulled the non-English, demo and beta roms out of my retro library and pushed everything to my 351V.

Currently scraping about 5000 files. Not sure how long this is gonna take.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The United States posted:

RGC Ayn Odin Part 2 - microstutter confirmed out of the box, but fixable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PliCqMdmUbM

Taki Udon Ayn Odin Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NaQR9eVDB8

Gosh darnit I want this so bad. I'll probably get it a good while sooner than a Steam Deck and that shouldn't be enough to tempt me so badly haha.
E: Looks like they aren't allowing preorders for the base anymore?

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 8, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Rolo posted:

Finally pulled the non-English, demo and beta roms out of my retro library and pushed everything to my 351V.

Currently scraping about 5000 files. Not sure how long this is gonna take.

My 351p inevitably crashes after 2000 or so scrapes via wifi

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
ScreenScraper used to be decently fast if you had credentials but lately that’s not the case.

Edit: I used a handful of adapters to plug a network cable into the OTG port, turned off the WiFi and now it’s going like 5 times faster.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 8, 2022

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Linus is live, breaking a Steam Deck in real time... it's a bit of a car wreck

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ok, seeing this tiny tiny thing just made me realize I have no clue anymore how many of those devices exist anymore. Every time I open the thread I find out about three new ones.

Which is why I wanna see some blood. There's likely someone here who has them all. Or nearly every single one of them. It may be MarcusSA with his two drawers full of these things. Or there may be a stronger contender, someone who's really out there to collect them all. Inquiring minds want to see: who went into the deep end and owns most of these? Show us your collection!

Edit: and if United States want to chip in, feel free to PM me while your probation doesn't wear off. I'll post here for you, buddy.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 9, 2022

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Every time the ADD monster demands newness I just sell an old one to partially find the new one. I only ever really have one or two at a time. Currently I have a modded Vita and and RP2+. Once I finally beat Persona 4, I might sell them both for an Odin Pro

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Saoshyant posted:

Ok, seeing this tiny tiny thing just made me realize I have no clue anymore how many of those devices exist anymore. Every time I open the thread I find out about three new ones.

The Funkey S rocks... I use mine to play SNES SimCity anywhere

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wish the v90 and the funkey could, like, trade parents or something. The funkey has a great launcher and tons of little quality of life things that show you they really care about their product, but it's just so small and I hate that 1:1 aspect ratio

The v90, on the other hand, is the perfect size and really scratches that nostalgia itch but the build quality is garbage and you absolutely need to install custom firmware for anything past NES to really be playable

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I put in an order for an RG351P a week ago and nothing is moving on the tracking in AliExpress, it's not even listed as being picked up by the shipping company. I messaged the seller, I assume that's my only option right now. Hope this thing shows up I want to be playing fun old GBA games!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Every time the ADD monster demands newness I just sell an old one to partially find the new one. I only ever really have one or two at a time. Currently I have a modded Vita and and RP2+. Once I finally beat Persona 4, I might sell them both for an Odin Pro

You guys are no fun with your sensible life choices and healthy partaking of this hobby. No fun at all.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

PlesantDilemma posted:

I put in an order for an RG351P a week ago and nothing is moving on the tracking in AliExpress, it's not even listed as being picked up by the shipping company. I messaged the seller, I assume that's my only option right now. Hope this thing shows up I want to be playing fun old GBA games!

Pretty sure it’s still Chinese lunar New Years so I imagine things will start happening when that’s over with.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Saoshyant posted:

You guys are no fun with your sensible life choices and healthy partaking of this hobby. No fun at all.

yeah ngl I was hoping someone bought a RP2+ and got bored with it so I could scoop one up easy. Relieving people of impulse buys is a net positive for society.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

coconono posted:

yeah ngl I was hoping someone bought a RP2+ and got bored with it so I could scoop one up easy. Relieving people of impulse buys is a net positive for society.
Considering my RP2+ board has no working HDMI out and I just got a new phone, I am tempted to sell and get a USB-C controller attachment if the broken video out is not a deal breaker for you.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Saoshyant posted:

Which is why I wanna see some blood. There's likely someone here who has them all. Or nearly every single one of them. It may be MarcusSA with his two drawers full of these things. Or there may be a stronger contender, someone who's really out there to collect them all. Inquiring minds want to see: who went into the deep end and owns most of these? Show us your collection!

Edit: and if United States want to chip in, feel free to PM me while your probation doesn't wear off. I'll post here for you, buddy.
All of the big youtubers who make videos on these things have dozens of them, just check any of their roundup or "best of" videos and you'll get to see a wide swath of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5IrSOvTaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za-FU6Wbg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmUe8iuNZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aeo1xOBKgIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BYlQE60yw

Wicked Gamer & Collector absolutely has the most by far, no contest, but he reviews every single thing that shows up on aliexpress, including all of the crappy switch/psvita/gameboy knockoffs and famiclones and pandoras boxes that no one else bothers with. What you see discussed in this thread is the tip of the crap iceberg compared to what is out there.

flavor.flv posted:

I wish the v90 and the funkey could, like, trade parents or something. The funkey has a great launcher and tons of little quality of life things that show you they really care about their product, but it's just so small and I hate that 1:1 aspect ratio

The v90, on the other hand, is the perfect size and really scratches that nostalgia itch but the build quality is garbage and you absolutely need to install custom firmware for anything past NES to really be playable
Well we already have one funkey clone out (the mini sorta-gamegear looking thing) and the funkey firmware is open source, we'll eventually get some larger clones that support larger resolutions. It's just the Linux that the v90 runs is a tried, tested, and mature OS that runs on the cheapest chips around. You can even check out the very oldest Obscure Handhelds posts from a decade ago talking about cracking open the weird version of Linux shipping on these brand new Dingoo handhelds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-BWdsjXTZw

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PlesantDilemma posted:

CFox posted:

Pretty sure it’s still Chinese lunar New Years so I imagine things will start happening when that’s over with.

Most stores got back in on Monday according to my Ali messages, and things usually take a few days to really start moving from Ali so I wouldn't worry about it unless it's still not moved by next week.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just wanna chime in again and say the difference in price between an RG351P from Ali versus Amazon Prime with guaranteed two day shipping is like $10

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Is the GameSir X2 Type-C still the best option for phone controller case type things? I'd rather have one with 6 face buttons for N64 stuff but it seems like they are all twin sticks.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just wanna chime in again and say the difference in price between an RG351P from Ali versus Amazon Prime with guaranteed two day shipping is like $10

the primary amazon seller includes a wifi dongle and screen protector too, at least they did for me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think that stuff is basically standard, I bought it from a UK reseller and got those. The dongle didn't work.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Beffica posted:

Is the GameSir X2 Type-C still the best option for phone controller case type things? I'd rather have one with 6 face buttons for N64 stuff but it seems like they are all twin sticks.

Either that or the Razer Kishi, if you want to save a couple bucks. I just map a stick to the C buttons. Right stick for most games, left stick for PD and Goldeneye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
ArsTechnica doing the classic Hard Drive article unironically