Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Then after he tells me that, my supe tells me they changed the handbook policy so they can update it whenever they want when we signed paperwork to get raises without reviews this year (we're getting laid off in like oct-nov), so now the policy is you can't take no pay and they automatically steal 8 hours of PTO from you if they call you off.

Unless you live in an absolutely crackpot country this doesn't fly. Anything which is a material change to your working conditions when you signed your contract requires a new contract for you to agree to. Doesn't matter that it's in the handbook and not specifically in your contract.

I'm not sure where this idea came from, having a contract that says you must follow the employee handbook and then thinking that means they can change your terms by simply editing the handbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure where this idea came from, having a contract that says you must follow the employee handbook and then thinking that means they can change your terms by simply editing the handbook.

One weird trick that employment attorneys hate! Bing bong.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Aramoro posted:

absolutely crackpot country

This is not quite as sensible an assumption as you think

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
My work is gearing to go back to the office and forcing me too as well (for THE CULTURE).
Everyone I work with is 3000+ kilometers from our office.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

manpurse posted:

My work is gearing to go back to the office and forcing me too as well (for THE CULTURE).
Everyone I work with is 3000+ kilometers from our office.

Hey, same. I have one coworker here who's only here because we briefly had an opportunity for expansion that immediately cratered after doing it. The rest of my team is two time zones away and I have never even seen any of their faces on a Teams call, let alone met them in person. But yup, back in the office 3 days a week.

Pointless.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Aramoro posted:

Unless you live in an absolutely crackpot country this doesn't fly.

also my plant is shutting down and everyone is getting laid off, as described in that quote; the HR manager slid in because she was the only person to take over when the real HR dude retired when COVID started, it's in the wild west so it's the wild west now, our foreign owner doesn't give a poo poo about anything but delivery to our replacement who bitch about not knowing how to rework simple poo poo, etc.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 8, 2022

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My mom has worked at a rural school district in the Midwest for 20 years, and I still laugh about this story she told me.

A few years ago when MLK day was made a federal holiday, schools kind of had to decide if they would let kids out. Obviously they didn’t want to. Mom’s school district is *very* white, there are probably less than a dozen POC there.

A few days before MLK day, the administration sent out a mass email to all parents stating that they would not make MLK day an official day off from school, but if parents wanted to let them heir kids stay home it wouldn’t be a problem.

This seemed like a perfectly reasonable solution, but I guess the very last line of the email was something like “but education is important, and we know that nearly all of our students were not directly impacted by Dr. King’s work, so if your child isn’t black they should be in school”

My mom says she read it the second it hit her inbox, and less than 5 minutes later there was a follow up “please disregard the first email, everyone gets the day off, school is closed, we’re so sorry!”

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A few employers back they announced they were going to celebrate Black History Month with a rap battle, open to all employees. That was never mentioned again.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

This reminds me of a time in high school where there was a bad snow storm and the district said there was just going to be a 1-hour delay. Then suddenly school was cancelled. MY mom worked for the district and found out about 10 minutes before the decision to close the superintendent got into an accident while driving in.

Basically, anyone who is in charge of deciding is a facility remains open during inclement weather should be forced to drive there. Preferably in a car not optimized for the conditions.

The interim superintendent my senior year of high school had two snow days that year, with one being questionable, there was a third day where the snow started coming down heavily in the afternoon. Dr. M should have closed the schools that day.

My mom was a teacher in the same district, we joked that the reason Dr. M didn't get the full time job was due to his poor snow day calling skills.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My mom has worked at a rural school district in the Midwest for 20 years, and I still laugh about this story she told me.

A few years ago when MLK day was made a federal holiday, schools kind of had to decide if they would let kids out. Obviously they didn’t want to. Mom’s school district is *very* white, there are probably less than a dozen POC there.

A few days before MLK day, the administration sent out a mass email to all parents stating that they would not make MLK day an official day off from school, but if parents wanted to let them heir kids stay home it wouldn’t be a problem.

This seemed like a perfectly reasonable solution, but I guess the very last line of the email was something like “but education is important, and we know that nearly all of our students were not directly impacted by Dr. King’s work, so if your child isn’t black they should be in school”

My mom says she read it the second it hit her inbox, and less than 5 minutes later there was a follow up “please disregard the first email, everyone gets the day off, school is closed, we’re so sorry!”

My wife's company is owned primarily by a chuddy aged boomer (maybe a little past boomer). They had a company gathering for vendors etc., she went and dipped in 20 mins when ppl were not in masks, not distancing etc. . We sent a mail out bitching that this is how investors/vendors etc see teh faces of the company and the company Christmas party better be attended. About 4 hours after the Son (who has more of a brain) sent a mail saying pretty much "disregard my dads mail, you are not required to go to this unpaid company event mid-repandemic"

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 8, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just don't do that

Non-union jobs get even less out of going above and beyond 99 times put of 100. Your boss isn't going to pay you above and beyond.
There's nothing really union specific about this situation. Either there's appropriate hard measures and metrics that can be used for performance pay and an equitable method of awarding them can be arrived on by union negotiations or other market forces, or else it's a super soft position that is doomed to managers awarding croneys and maybe a flat seniority basis is the fairest similarly arrived on by unions and market forces.

"But flat pay" is paradoxically an antiunion dog whistle and also a sign of the sort of do-nothing union that gives antiunionists ammo. A properly energized union will have good accomodations for better performance - half the union should be above average and voting in their best interests. Any provision should also be fair to everyone, because half the union is below average and voting in their best interests. Performance provisions being out of balance can tell you if the people in the union really care about being in the union.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Unless you live in an absolutely crackpot country this doesn't fly. Anything which is a material change to your working conditions when you signed your contract requires a new contract for you to agree to. Doesn't matter that it's in the handbook and not specifically in your contract.

The poster said they work in Albuquerque in the US. Here, most employees don’t have contracts. And the Employee Handbook typically includes clear language that the policies within are subject to change at any point, without advance notice, by the company’s sole discretion, etc. So yes they can absolutely change stuff on a whim simply by changing some text in the electronic handbook.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

The poster said they work in Albuquerque in the US. Here, most employees don’t have contracts. And the Employee Handbook typically includes clear language that the policies within are subject to change at any point, without advance notice, by the company’s sole discretion, etc. So yes they can absolutely change stuff on a whim simply by changing some text in the electronic handbook.

That doesn't give them a free pass. Constructive dismissal and similar are absolutely a thing, and wildly changing expectations and responsibilities is something to talk to an labor attorney about. If nothing else they won't be able to deny your unemployment benefits.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

MagusofStars posted:

The PTO thing could be a bit dicey for the employer as PTO starts to stray into the area of compensation that's already been paid and there is already a lot of specific laws, protections, and precedents regarding that even in the US. Every employer I've been at that has made a major change to how/when/why you can/must use PTO has had to keep separate balances for before/after the changes specifically because of that. I'm not sure they will run into legal problems here, but PTO already earned is often an exception to the general rule that US employers can do whatever they please.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
My hotel's FOM has definetly eaten the "all unions are corrupt" pill, and has been in zero of them. Like buddy Ive been in both an airport workers and hotel union, and they were fine.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

"Appeals Court Tells Judge to Find a Different Line of Work"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGoGSh0IXM

This judge needs to be put down like a rabid animal.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

The gently caress? In the UK everyone has a contract with their employer. Doesn't have to be written down but it does notionally exist. If your employer doesn't give you a contract it's terms are implied. You can do the handbook thing but you can just ignore it if it causes a material change to your conditions unless they get you to sign a new one.

What an odd place Albuquerque is.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Aramoro posted:

The gently caress? In the UK everyone has a contract with their employer. Doesn't have to be written down but it does notionally exist. If your employer doesn't give you a contract it's terms are implied. You can do the handbook thing but you can just ignore it if it causes a material change to your conditions unless they get you to sign a new one.

Look up the phrase "At-will employment" with the intoxicant of your choice nearby and see if you survive the entire definition without hitting/drinking/whatever it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zedprime posted:

There's nothing really union specific about this situation. Either there's appropriate hard measures and metrics that can be used for performance pay and an equitable method of awarding them can be arrived on by union negotiations or other market forces, or else it's a super soft position that is doomed to managers awarding croneys and maybe a flat seniority basis is the fairest similarly arrived on by unions and market forces.

"But flat pay" is paradoxically an antiunion dog whistle and also a sign of the sort of do-nothing union that gives antiunionists ammo. A properly energized union will have good accomodations for better performance - half the union should be above average and voting in their best interests. Any provision should also be fair to everyone, because half the union is below average and voting in their best interests. Performance provisions being out of balance can tell you if the people in the union really care about being in the union.

The union I was in simply allowed for either tiny raises out of turn and/or full step increases based on merit. Either was time limited: couldn't have more than one in a year. You could, depending on timing, actually get hosed if you went above one level and pushed your next raise out a year instead of in a couple months.

I think a large part of that issue was that leadership were all guys with 30+ years there at the top of the payscale. They no longer cared about what new people made or advancement speeds. The last union vote before I left had a guy pushing a return to a pension system over a 401k. He lost by like 60 points to a guy who had been union president for 15 years and immediately gave up our actually good health insurance for no reason.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hey, same. I have one coworker here who's only here because we briefly had an opportunity for expansion that immediately cratered after doing it. The rest of my team is two time zones away and I have never even seen any of their faces on a Teams call, let alone met them in person. But yup, back in the office 3 days a week.

Pointless.

Our current back to work plan is "soon" we'll head in. Mandatory at least two days a week in the office. Due to the pandemic, however, all office doors must remain closed. Congregation, including hallway conversations and the break room, is forbidden. No in person meetings, all meetings must be held on zoom, including if it's just a two person meeting with your office neighbors.

I am going to fake an illness I think. I have something where I can take a medication with a gnarly side effect and a doctor who will write me a note. That's my plan, 'cause gently caress that.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Can you just take a COVID self-test and register it as positive?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Smik posted:

"Appeals Court Tells Judge to Find a Different Line of Work"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGoGSh0IXM

This judge needs to be put down like a rabid animal.

Can I get a tldr so I don’t have to watch a half hour video of a dude reading a court transcript?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My work van has been in the shop for two weeks because of parts backorder.

Week one, my boss told me to use another van at a store about 15 miles from me. She did not explain until two days in that I would NOT be getting paid to drive there. No, I did not transfer stores, but the van is there, so I use it, not a rental. So for a week I added an hour unpaid to my drive to and from work.

Week two, someone at my store is out, so I am using his van all week.

Next week, who knows. I asked if I could just get a drat rental, and she says "we will cross that bridge when we come to it."

We both know my van won't be ready. And a rental would solve this "whose van does Cowslips use today" deal. If next week comes and she tells me to go to another store, without the pay-drive, whatever should I do?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

Look up the phrase "At-will employment" with the intoxicant of your choice nearby and see if you survive the entire definition without hitting/drinking/whatever it.

Son, are you talking poo poo about having the :patriot:FREEDUM:patriot: to quit your job for any or no reason at any time?

Can I get a tldr so I don’t have to watch a half hour video of a dude reading a court transcript?

Lower Court Judge: Well you were found guilty of 2nd degree murder, but I'm going to sentence you as if it was 1st degree.

Higher Appeals Court: Yeah poo poo don't work that way, try again.

LCJ: Hm OK how about I knock 5 years off of that 1st degree murder jailterm?

HAC: :nyd: Listen here you little bitch...

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Lower Court Judge: Well you were found guilty of 2nd degree murder, but I'm going to sentence you as if it was 1st degree.

Higher Appeals Court: Yeah poo poo don't work that way, try again.

LCJ: Hm OK how about I knock 5 years off of that 1st degree murder jailterm?

HAC: :nyd: Listen here you little bitch...

Thanks! I watched up until “he had been stabbed by someone when he came home” and then “oops wait I forgot to mention it was me”

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Union-chat:

My Dad spent a lot of years in a management role, and developed a good working relationship with the union stewards. There was mutual respect there; Dad was seen as the "tough but fair" guy. If you hosed around more than a once, he'd nail you to the wall, but if you did your job, he'd do everything he could to help you out. A few years after Dad retired, I bumped into one of the long-time union stewards, who asked how the old guy was doing.

We chatted a bit, and he told me that he actually liked my Dad, but he didn't enjoy having to be the union rep present for discipline meetings. Dad was the type of manager who would make sure that he had an air-tight case for whatever the member was in trouble for, so there was never much wiggle room for the steward. The steward said that when he'd walk into a discipline meeting, he would immediately look to see what tie Dad was wearing. Dad is a sci-fi geek, and had a wide range of nerdy ties, so they were pretty easy to tell apart. The steward said he could tell how much crap the member was going to get, based on the tie Dad was wearing in the meeting. If it was his Worf tie, that was a good sign; that meant you were going to get in poo poo, maybe suspended, but you'd still have a job. However, if Dad had on his Darth Vader tie, that meant the member was getting fired. The steward said if he walked in the room and saw Vader, he'd just sigh and know it was all over already.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have altered your employment, pray I don’t alter it any further.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I have altered your employment, pray I don’t alter it any further.

These nice men from legal are going to explain how your pension has been transitioned to 5-7 years of guaranteed housing, food, and medical care, courtesy of the charges we've filed.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Thanks! I watched up until “he had been stabbed by someone when he came home” and then “oops wait I forgot to mention it was me”

On Valentine's Day no less 💔

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Aramoro posted:

Lol that's not a New Mexico problem, that's a USA as a whole problem

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Aramoro posted:

lomarf

Wish I could report that I've finally found a new job; plenty of interest from recruiters but they don't seem to lead anywhere. My old employer seems to want nothing to do with me for some reason, I'd at least like to know why.

The VP who manages to give away millions in free work somehow still has a job. While his title hasn't changed I am told he is little more than a project manager now. There's less than a month now until we have to be done with everything and I really don't see how it can happen. Everything is a priority and I'm stressed to hell. I want to run away and never look back but I have a kid on the way and have forgone the luxury of recklessness. Hopefully I can land something soon to at least have a light at the end of this tunnel.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

More dumb poo poo happened last night lol

Came in and the 1st shift team lead left this passdown (names and identifying information redacted) -

So the team lead in the SMD department is the department boss, and the shift supe is their boss as well as our overall boss. The team lead of SMD left a passdown dictating what 2nd and 3rd shift were going to do for the 16 hours she spent outside of the plant as if she were a supervisor or manager.

My supervisor banned anyone from working panel separation on 3rd shift and pulled the 1st lead into the office for about a half an hour when she saw her beelining to me to spew her venom, because I just spent the whole night essentially redoing all the work in that passdown and everyone was very aware of my mood. Those ident labels she's bitching about? 1cmx1cm QR code stickers. All that stuff did get ident labeled. With a bad print head. And nobody on 1st or 2nd checked the print quality on a known issue, despite the fact they labeled all that stuff before the printhead got changed, because 1 out of every 5 panels was perfect and they went by that. The first work order that we ran tonight had all 150 panels relabeled three loving times in the last 24 hours before it was done right.

I spent 8 hours doing my actual job of inspecting and reworking panels coming out of the oven, and also had to drop everything every 2-5 minutes to relabel 300 panels with 5 boards a pop - as I was running them - with a very unreliable Promation robot as my label machine.

It's entertaining, deeply sad, and infuriatingly frustrating to watch these people that have lorded over a petty fiefdom for 20+ years losing their loving minds as they realize they maybe have 8 more months of lording power over a group of people.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 9, 2022

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

I'll do a TLDR next time, I enjoy his videos but he does take his time. But yeah, defendant found guilty of 2nd degree murder. Judge attempted to drop a 1st degree sentencing, it is appealed, appeal goes through, judge does the same thing AGAIN, and this time the appeal goes through, the case will go through a different judge, and in the most legal way possible the judge is told to gently caress off and die.

I might have posted to the wrong thread, but it seemed to fall under 'person of authority is very stupid'.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
One time a co-worker walked in after a meeting had ended and grabbed a whole box of pizza then left.

The general manager chased him down while the rest of us were laughing. Really illustrates how the free pizza to show appreciation isn't actually free pizza to show appreciation. If it was then the GM wouldn't have had any issues with a guy that was busy on dispatch taking some pizza. He was working, he's going back to continue working, why doesn't he get pizza?

Just admit that the pizza is for sitting through a pointless meeting. C'mon we all know it's true

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sanctum posted:

One time a co-worker walked in after a meeting had ended and grabbed a whole box of pizza then left.

The general manager chased him down while the rest of us were laughing. Really illustrates how the free pizza to show appreciation isn't actually free pizza to show appreciation. If it was then the GM wouldn't have had any issues with a guy that was busy on dispatch taking some pizza. He was working, he's going back to continue working, why doesn't he get pizza?

Just admit that the pizza is for sitting through a pointless meeting. C'mon we all know it's true

I'd be pretty pissed if someone stole all the pizza I was planning on stealing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Outrail posted:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

goatface posted:

Also, blocking it so it produces no data when they are expecting data will look hella sus to them if they're already being computer fash.

Nah, just blame it on IT being poo poo. Boomers won't question that at all.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

mobby_6kl posted:

It got installed automatically through the usual process that various updates gets pushed out. I saw a notification and then it showed up in the browser. Not sure if it's part of the new Company Portal or whatever.

I actually installed Firefox from scratch after I noticed this extension, and it had it as well. Just like in Edge/Chrome, it wasn't possible to disable the extension through the UI, but I actually managed to just delete the corresponding file from the extension folder. So it's gone from Firefox for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I was surprised by this because I do work for a German megacorp, so I've no idea how (if) they got this through WC approval. Maybe it's already pretty restricted in terms of what it's collecting, but I haven't seen any communication on this. Actually we have a meeting coming up soon so I'll be happy to bring this up.

Spying on employees is generally frowned upon, so the computers aren't really locked down and up to this point they'd only really complain if some outdated or unauthorized software was detected.

Anyway I'm not even looking to disable it completley, I don't care if they see how many hours Excel is open (it's all the hours) but sending all browser requests is a bit much for my taste. Hell I could even keep it enabled in the "work" browser.

I do have pihole but I don't know if it'd be able to capture everything. And it wouldn't work if I'm away from home.

Put it on a raspberry pi zero w and take it with you. It makes hotel wireless so much better.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

Love going to the break room at the end of the day to take the remaining donuts home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted: