Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also, winner of SoDak vs Richelieu will still take home the "Best Treaty Battleship" award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sniper4625 posted:

Get the popcorn ready, my money's on the corn-fed country boy.

The more I see Yamato fight, the less confident I am in the Iowa. Those 46cm guns do not gently caress around at all, and Yamato’s belt is a hell of a thing.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Go go go Yamato :japan:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
those 380mm guns are just a bit too light, I guess

:france:

MrYenko posted:

The more I see Yamato fight, the less confident I am in the Iowa. Those 46cm guns do not gently caress around at all, and Yamato’s belt is a hell of a thing.

Yeah I was pro-fire control and SH-AP but those are gonna have to do some work. I think Iowa would do better at range but not sure if the AI can really do that. The SH-AP can deal a lot more damage than the 380/45 m1935 though: 6.2 million lb-ft/s vs 5.3 million lb-ft/s

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, in addition to the CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHT and the BRONZE MEDAL GAME, I'll do two other undercards:

1. Dreadnought, or not?
Naval history rightly remembers HMS Dreadnought as The Thing That Changed Everything. But was she really as dominant as her historical reputation? Believe or not, there were a few pre-Dreadnought battleships commissioned after Dreadnought. One of these -- HMS Lord Nelson -- will fight her revolutionary contemporary HMS Dreadnought one on one, and we'll see if the hype was legit.

2. War Plan Orange.
The Nagato and Colorado class battleships were the baddest boats of their day, but they never really got to settle matters properly. The Nagatos were largely left behind by interwar upgrades, while the Colorados were rebuilt into virtually new ships just before and/or during the war. This scenario pits four Nagati against four Coloradi in their initial early 1920s configurations. No radars, no reinforced decks, just thick armor, 16" guns and way-too-tall masts.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

MrYenko posted:

This is how I feel. Iowa's armor is tough as hell, but it isn't even rated against its own shells (making her, techincally, a Battlecruiser), let alone 18inchers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Time to say goodbye, to our home,
it's been fun but now we're in the battleship
Yamato
It departs now to faceoff with Iowa,
carrying the fate of this tournament.
"We will succeed for sure, no matter how many holes it takes!"
Answering with a wide smile to the posters waving their hands!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My money at this point is on Yamato. It's too big and too much armor. I don't care how accurate Iowa's fire is when it can withstand every shot and Iowa can't.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yamatos aim has been poo poo. Iowa will damage something vital and then slowly tear yamato apart.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I'm putting Iowa ahead by an oar's width.
It's gonna be an ugly fight, but I think that Iowa's insanely tight grouping and really good armor penetration will punch through and wreck Yamato's engines and midships. After that, it'll be a race to see who floods first and I think Iowa will start that clock on Yamato first.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

bewbies posted:

Also, in addition to the CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHT and the BRONZE MEDAL GAME, I'll do two other undercards:

2. War Plan Orange.
The Nagato and Colorado class battleships were the baddest boats of their day, but they never really got to settle matters properly. The Nagatos were largely left behind by interwar upgrades, while the Colorados were rebuilt into virtually new ships just before and/or during the war. This scenario pits four Nagati against four Coloradi in their initial early 1920s configurations. No radars, no reinforced decks, just thick armor, 16" guns and way-too-tall masts.

Hell yes

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Queen Elizabeths or Rs against Bayerns would be cool to see too if you're feeling like it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Well, this is possibly the most theorized alt history ship duel ever, so I'm curious how the game handles it. It'll probably come down to luck, but I think I'm inclined to bet on the Yamato. The school of thought that has the Iowa winning mostly comes down to it staying at range and using its superior fire control, and the AI doesn't seem terribly inclined to do that in this game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bewbies posted:

Nagati [...] Coloradi
With that kind of commitment to pretending a mistake was your original plan all along you'd have a great career in politics.
Or the Bureau of Ordnance.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Time to say goodbye, to our home,
it's been fun but now we're in the battleship
Yamato
It departs now to faceoff with Iowa,
carrying the fate of this tournament.
"We will succeed for sure, no matter how many holes it takes!"
Answering with a wide smile to the posters waving their hands!

:awesome:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Bremen posted:

Well, this is possibly the most theorized alt history ship duel ever, so I'm curious how the game handles it. It'll probably come down to luck, but I think I'm inclined to bet on the Yamato. The school of thought that has the Iowa winning mostly comes down to it staying at range and using its superior fire control, and the AI doesn't seem terribly inclined to do that in this game.

My understanding is the US didn't know that Yamato had 18" guns and probably would have closed the range within 30k yards in an IRL engagement anyways, so that may be reasonably accurate behavior if that's what happens.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bremen posted:

yeah, this is my guess too

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm pretty happy with Bewbies continuing that joke as the person responsible for pointing it out. :D

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Iowa is STRONG and REAL and MY FRIEND and exceeds Yamato utterly in her capacity to produce ice cream.

I can't explain why but the part of the Iowa tour where they talked about ice cream put a smile on my face. :unsmith:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

With that kind of commitment to pretending a mistake was your original plan all along you'd have a great career in politics.
Or the Bureau of Ordnance.

It actually wasn't a typo, just a dad joke on pluralizing words the end with a vowel that i feel now should be taken as the new way to pluralize certain ship names.

As for this fight, I've given it some thought, and

The AI actually will keep station at 25km or so if it thinks that's a good idea, but I don't think Iowa could actually seriously damage Yamato at this range. I'm not sure if irl Iowa would've shot more accurately at extreme range, but in-game, I don't think it is possible for her to sink or even cripple Yamato at that distance. Not because she can't hit from that range, but because she can't hit enough. In the kind of engagements these ships would've fought in real life, there was plenty of reason to keep the range extreme (especially for Iowa) and not necessarily go all in for a guns kill, because there were lots of other more effective ways to sink ships than pure gunfire. Guns can damage ships and light them on fire and so on very well and leave the actual sinking to lesser creatures.

Here though, if either ship wants to sink the other, as is their mission, they'll have to get closer and land a LOT of hits to do it. Iowa will still have a pretty solid advantage in both gunnery and in target profile, so she'll outshoot Yamato for a while. If she can keep the range kind of in the middle (15-20km), she'll land a lot more than Yamato. However, at that range, she'll probably struggle to get through both Yamato's belt and deck, while Yamato will probably able to punch through Iowa occasionally at that distance. I think that's the risk Iowa will have to take, and hope she damages Yamato enough outside of her belt and turrets at that range, that her gunnery falls off and she can close in and finish the deal. She'll be at great risk from one of those massive broadsides, but I think it can be done.

That said, I'm going to put my Official Battleship Betting Odds on Yamato as the favorite, as I think Iowa's margin for luck/mistakes is a bit narrower. It is really tight though...I'd say...Iowa at only +125 or so.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
There's a few points in this tournament where it looked like one ship had done enough damage to mission-kill their opponent without having yet taken meaningful damage only to then lose later on because actually KILL-killing a battleship is hella hard to do.

Like, if you clip off the conning tower and put a hole in the bow that'll probably send the ship home for a while, no?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Spamo posted:

There's a few points in this tournament where it looked like one ship had done enough damage to mission-kill their opponent without having yet taken meaningful damage only to then lose later on because actually KILL-killing a battleship is hella hard to do.

Like, if you clip off the conning tower and put a hole in the bow that'll probably send the ship home for a while, no?

I think there's a bunch of places you look at in the tournament where a ship in an actual fleet action would've been retired in a big hurry. For the most part, aside from Ten-Go no one was in a real big hurry to sacrifice their stunningly expensive war wagons, which was one of the main reasons why these things so rarely actually got to actually shoot at one another.

We can think of this tournament as more like gladiatorial combat, and it isn't like one can throw down a smoke screen and retreat from a gladiator match. I don't think, anyway.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bewbies posted:

1. Dreadnought, or not?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Dang, rich. Heck of a fight but Yamato could just take too much

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

2. War Plan Orange.

Zeppelin spotters delight

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
With these latest seeds just about every winner would be looking at a year or more in drydock, assuming indeed she even made it home at all. There was no way Richelieu was making it back to port after Vanguard, for example.

Obviously in the earlier rounds that were just dunks that isn't the case, but even superstructure damage could easily take months to repair.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The AI is also more much more conservative about closing range in fleet actions.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bewbies posted:

I think there's a bunch of places you look at in the tournament where a ship in an actual fleet action would've been retired in a big hurry. For the most part, aside from Ten-Go no one was in a real big hurry to sacrifice their stunningly expensive war wagons, which was one of the main reasons why these things so rarely actually got to actually shoot at one another.

We can think of this tournament as more like gladiatorial combat, and it isn't like one can throw down a smoke screen and retreat from a gladiator match. I don't think, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5FU0ZMRB_Q

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What's the classical equivalent of torpedo hell for that coward to face?

A pack of lions, I guess.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pharnakes posted:

What's the classical equivalent of torpedo hell for that coward to face?

A pack of lions, I guess.

speaking of, do yamato or iowa have torps?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Soon enough, it is over for Rich. She took a long time to finally go down; it took the most damaging single salvo (6 simultaneous impacts of 18" shells at a range of 5k) of the tournament so far to finally finish her off. She fought a great match and even gave Yamato a pretty good scare, but in the end she couldn't find a way to reduce Yamato enough to give her the time she needed to break her down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ChubbyChecker posted:

speaking of, do yamato or iowa have torps?

No. For the US side I think the Colorados were the last class built with them, but many (if not all) were removed during the refits of the 20s and 30s.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If Iowa loses, I'd like to see Yamato vs two SoDaks, because tonnage-wise, that would be closer to fair than any of her other match-ups.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

Yamatos aim has been poo poo. Iowa will damage something vital and then slowly tear yamato apart.

Some of that is just because the shells have a long travel time and the ships are fast.

It's a lot easier to hit the Yamato because she's huge, not particularly fast, and can't turn very quickly.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If Iowa loses, I'd like to see Yamato vs two SoDaks, because tonnage-wise, that would be closer to fair than any of her other match-ups.

Yes. And wasn't the Yamato built to fight two battleships at once?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

El Spamo posted:

Apropos conning towers, something that came up earlier in the thread and I've been wondering about -- what is the "conning tower" on a surface warship, and how does it differ from the "bridge"?

Like, I'd previously only encountered the term in submarines, where the conning tower is the bit sticking up out of the middle of the hull that you can stand on top of for maximum visibility (if you're on the surface, or have gills) or extend periscopes from (if you're submerged), and then somewhere under that is the bridge which, AIUI, has the full suite of controls and information panels but, being in the middle of the ship, limited visibility.

And on civilian ships, the bridge is generally an elevated structure with both all the controls and displays and all the windows, although actual visibility can be quite variable.

But based on earlier discussion ITT, it sounds like the conning tower on a surface warship has worse visibility than the bridge, but better armour? Or something?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The conning tower is basically an armored proto CIC generally lower than the bridge, inside the same structure as the bridge from which you see outside with periscopes, basic electronics and voice pipes and such. The main command crew sits in there and orders things around, if they need extra visibility they go on the regular bridge and die from being shot, as an alternative from having the conning tower's armor dinged by an enemy shell and having a seriously hard time close to uncertain death.

So it's basically exactly what you described.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos conning towers, something that came up earlier in the thread and I've been wondering about -- what is the "conning tower" on a surface warship, and how does it differ from the "bridge"?

Like, I'd previously only encountered the term in submarines, where the conning tower is the bit sticking up out of the middle of the hull that you can stand on top of for maximum visibility (if you're on the surface, or have gills) or extend periscopes from (if you're submerged), and then somewhere under that is the bridge which, AIUI, has the full suite of controls and information panels but, being in the middle of the ship, limited visibility.

And on civilian ships, the bridge is generally an elevated structure with both all the controls and displays and all the windows, although actual visibility can be quite variable.

But based on earlier discussion ITT, it sounds like the conning tower on a surface warship has worse visibility than the bridge, but better armour? Or something?

There's the bridge, and then there's the conning tower, which is a secondary command structure. It has significantly better armor, but in consequence, lacks amenities such as windows. The idea was that you'd use the bridge in normal times, because it had plenty of room for command staff and equipment, and then when a fight started, you'd transfer to the conning tower, so that your command staff wasn't in danger of being wiped out by a stray shell.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's the bridge, and then there's the conning tower, which is a secondary command structure. It has significantly better armor, but in consequence, lacks amenities such as windows. The idea was that you'd use the bridge in normal times, because it had plenty of room for command staff and equipment, and then when a fight started, you'd transfer to the conning tower, so that your command staff wasn't in danger of being wiped out by a stray shell.

Wouldn't it be better to have this buried into the ship like an armored nugget?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

AtomikKrab posted:

Wouldn't it be better to have this buried into the ship like an armored nugget?

This is something that everybody figured out post-WW2 with CICs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here's an example on the Iowa.

There is the bridge with all its nice windows and sunshine, and then the massive door to the conning tower within it.