Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dunno, this might be a sign that you joined the wrong FC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Thundarr posted:

Sounds like a self-correcting problem

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I'd take that as a clear warning that I don't want to play with these people. Some of the most fun I had with my WoW guild years ago was when we played L4D2 and GW2 together, after all!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Thundarr posted:

is this not a parody of the time someone posted this about people leaving shadowlands to play ffxiv

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

did you guys skim past Critically Acclaimed MMO Final Fantasy XIV and not think it was a joke

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's pretty clearly a joke

It's just a funny joke

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

goons understand jokes challenge (impossible)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

To recognize it as a parody I'd have to be familiar with the original :shobon:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The idea it was a joke certainly crossed my mind, but at the same time with the way people are on the internet I'm not at all surprised it's a joke because it's referencing something that did happen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vitamean posted:

did you guys skim past Critically Acclaimed MMO Final Fantasy XIV and not think it was a joke

tbf i give it 50/50 odds of being a joke at best

people are goddamn stupid and no i refuse to acknowledge any irony in this statement

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Just slamming the critically acclaimed meme in the middle can be just as much a superfan signal as an actual joke, really

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It is clearly a joke even without having seen the original shadowlands post or whatever. No need to justify how it might actually secretly be real!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zomborgon posted:

Just slamming the critically acclaimed meme in the middle can be just as much a superfan signal as an actual joke, really

I've played online games for way too long, and absolutely know that sort of player who sprinkles in the occasional meme thinking it balances out the fact that they're being a raging psycho.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's real, my uncle works for the free company

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yall can just say 'oh my bad it is kinda obviously a joke now that i look at it again' lol

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this is like when people post lengthy joke macros and goons are all "well I'd NEVER heal them and let them die" like they are cool principled players who don't take no poo poo as opposed to just not getting a joke

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yes i feel we've all learned an important les- :rolleyes:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thundarr posted:

I've played online games for way too long, and absolutely know that sort of player who sprinkles in the occasional meme thinking it balances out the fact that they're being a raging psycho.

yea that 100% read as 'ha ha I'm being cute and jokey (but really if you do this you're banned)'

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

take the L

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vitamean posted:

take the L

what does it say about society that i thought it was real, huh???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vitamean posted:

take the L

there really doesn't need to be an L or W, jfc almighty

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ibblebibble posted:

Won the raid boots today, which means I am 1 acc upgrade and 1 armour upgrade away from BIS. 599 ilvl feels good.

I haven't had luck with any upgrade mats, yet, and DPS get all the weapon upgrades first.

I've got 600 helm, ring, and earring, 590 gloves, pants, and bracelet, an ornate chest (because 48 extra tenacity was worth 12m gil) and pentamelded 580 everywhere else. We got pants last night and no one in our group needed them for BiS so we're just greeding them when we clear again (hopefully) tonight.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I was browsing the Q&A thread for the upcoming live letter and I spotted a question that I'm genuinely curious about

quote:

For the Firmament in new servers like the OCE datacenter and the future planned worlds, will there be a chance for us to build a Skybuilders' Monument like the other servers who have finished Ishgardian Restoration?

For people on OCE - is there a firmament statue in the zone already? Are fetes running? Is the firmament even accessible?

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

More ShB playthrough :words:

5.0 optional dungeons: A mention of “the first Mitron, a scholar renowned for her contributions to our marine biosphere” in the lore books of the Akademia Anyder are the first real textual confirmation that the names of the council of 14 are passed down with the office. I wish the translation used definite articles with those names in the ambient dialogue or the sidequests of Amaurot, that would have left me less confused about Hades being Emet-Selch’s true name.

Those lore crumbs give us another new name: Halmarut, a phytobiologist and landscape gardener, and the reason there are plant mobs in this FF game.

The Twinning has the opposite role in the narrative, filling up backstory instead of foreshadowing. It gives context to our Echo vision of the Exarch, and answers why no one accompanied G’Raha on his trip to the First (a question I didn’t ask myself until I went back through the dungeon reading the Ironworks logs after clearing it, I must admit).

The final boss got a big reaction out of me, and it made perfect sense in hindsight, as did the name of the dungeon, a twinning of the aftermath of ARR, HW, and StB’s raid series

Kinda weird that a dungeon's story would be completed in a FATE chain though, that's a choice.

5.2 MSQ I’m glad the main characters are immediately suspicious of Ardbert and jump immediately to the conclusion that it’s an Ascian. It’s also neat how obvious it is that this is not the Ardbert we’ve known. The slight smirks, the positive outlook to his own past heroics, there’s details about his attitude that don’t fit here. The clean-shaven look and the bloodless axe are tells too: this is an effigy of a hero, rather than the hero themself.

The Raktika detour was fun but seemed to be there mostly to serve as a goodbye to a zone they didn’t have any further plans for (poor Runar).

Except for the mural, of course. The Echo awakens when a shattered soul is reminded of the Final Days, if I’m getting Y’Shtola’s implications correctly. This made me go rewatch the lvl 5 cutscene: The PC grabs the crystal on the ground after defeating a Voidsent with Thancred, then starts having vision of an hexagram with one node lighting up, then hears the voice of Hydealyn before seeing a meteor shower crash all around them. I remember now thinking that part of the vision was super strange, at the time.

I had hoped that the Anamnesis Anyder would be as lore filled as the two 5.0 dungeons had been, but sadly it was rather empty, with the most interesting elements being the Sahagin’s ability to awaken/activate the stored ancient creations, and finally seeing one of their queens.

The lore bombs instead, came at the end, with more references to the defector of the Convocation (who refused to help in summoning either Zodiark or Hydaelyn, it seems), the introduction of one Venat as the leader of those who summoned Hydaelyn. That summoning, it seems, came because they felt Zodiark’s “new laws” were only a temporary solution, only able to forestall the end days. That’s fairly different from Emet’s description, repeated by Urianger, that Hydaelyn was merely conceived as shackles for Zodiark.

As an aside, I was rather surprised by the pronunciation of Venat's name, as if it was Venât in French in the EN dub, that’s weird. I checked the JP voices later and there it’s said Beenesu (Alphinaud) or Veenesu (Urianger). When there’s discrepancies in the names of characters like that it’s usually because they’re a reference to past FFs, and beholden to that game's tl choices, is this the case here?

Anyway, it’s then revealed that Venat served as the core of Hydaelyn, in the same way Elidibus did for Zodiark, it’s implied. I’m once again happy that the characters aren’t dumb and are written as immediately understanding the implications of this. This is the point where the game explicitly points out that Ascians’ public names are titles tied to a role they held, but the game makes it a point that the Elidibus we know won’t just be the successor of the one that served as Zodiark’s core. I’ve noted an intriguing line from Venat, where she mentions that she’ll be able to remain in whatever form she chooses, I wonder if that’s related to Elidibus’ deal.

We then swing back to the Crystarium, just in time for a show by Elidibus intended to awaken the Echo in as many aspiring heroes of the First as possible. Big lore implications here, but there’s a detail that doesn’t fit: if seeing a vision of the Final Days is what awakens the Echo (a power latent to the sundered humankind, and linked to memories of what was lost rather than something granted by the mother crystal, which fits perfectly with previous expansions' events) and the Echo is what makes it possible for them to hear Hydaelyn, why was the WoL able to hear her before seeing the meteor shower?

I couldn’t quite understand Elidibus’ scheme here, but rewatching the 5.0 stinger, he told us outright: mire the Scions in the First and arrange for Warriors of Light to fell the Warrior of Darkness.

The final quest of the patch is Cyella visiting the WoL in the room to ask them to lay Ardbert’s possessed body to rest. I have to wonder how those cutscenes would have gone if I hadn't completed the role quest capstone (I assume she's the one that shows up whoever I choose when the tavernkeeper knocks, but maybe I’m wrong here)

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think that name translation discrepancy is because The Japnese name was meant to be "Venus," but that's part of the Roman pantheon and the rest of the Ancients' names follow a Greek theme. So the localization made a slight alteration.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It was to keep consistency with the localization of the names in FF XII.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

EW ending spoilers related to this convo it's an unfortunate choice to maintain consistency with FF12 but at least she's gone now so it should never come up again lol

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

escape mechanism posted:

The final quest of the patch is Cyella visiting the WoL in the room to ask them to lay Ardbert’s possessed body to rest. I have to wonder how those cutscenes would have gone if I hadn't completed the role quest capstone (I assume she's the one that shows up whoever I choose when the tavernkeeper knocks, but maybe I’m wrong here)

I haven't finished all of the role quests yet (or the capstone, obviously) but Giott showed up at my door. I don't remember picking anything specific, but I did the Healer role quest first, so I assume that's why she was there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

escape mechanism posted:

5.2 spoilers (I assume she's the one that shows up whoever I choose when the tavernkeeper knocks, but maybe I’m wrong here)

The person you choose is the one that shows up. This means there's 5 different cutscenes to see in The Unending Journey, if you're interested in any of the other characters from the role quests.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Onean posted:

The person you choose is the one that shows up. This means there's 5 different cutscenes to see in The Unending Journey, if you're interested in any of the other characters from the role quests.

But the one they picked is, indeed, the best.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I agree, though Giott isn't too far behind.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Onean posted:

5.2+ShB Rolequests Ah, that's interesting. I never expected them to expand the effort of making 5 specific scenes. It made a lot of thematic sense for Cyella to show up here, while none of the other characters had more than a passing connection to Ardbert (as opposed to his companions), I'll check them out

Gruckles posted:

I think that name translation discrepancy is because The Japnese name was meant to be "Venus," but that's part of the Roman pantheon and the rest of the Ancients' names follow a Greek theme. So the localization made a slight alteration.

I'm not sure that makes sense, Venat is extremely not a Greek name (they can't end in that sound), and Aphrodite was right here.

Respecting the localisation choice of a previous entry in the series checks out, but I wish they prioritised consistency within FFXIV instead

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Hey thread, have some memey garbage I made and forgot to post after someone decided it was a good idea to vent their frustration with Emmanellain at me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I genuinely would've thought this was a "not really a joke" joke had I not seen the original, which cemented it as an "actually a joke" joke.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Regarding the character names in Endwalker, As far as I've seen, ヴェーネス, Veenesu, is not meant to be the same name as ビーナス, Biinesu; the "e"s in the former's romaji are still short e (eh) sounds. Venat != Venus.
As for the two characters pronouncing it slightly different, I figure that's more like how even in English you'll have two voice actors pronouncing the same name a bit differently. Japanese doesn't actually have a "V" sound per se, but they'll typically approximate it with "B," and individuals might be better or worse at making the actual letter distinction in speech - Alphinaud and Urianger aren't supposed to be saying two different names, lore-wise.

I couldn't exactly tell you why they felt obligated to use the reference here rather than a Greek name, other than the Occuria being tied to the Scions of Light and Darkness, so I guess she's the "heretic" from the rest of the Convocation (even if she wasn't the acting Azem at the time). Gerun, the other named Occuria, is also a name present in XIV lore, but as the author of the Gerun Oracles, the prophecies Louisoix and Urianger turn to at times.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Unhappy Meal posted:

Hey thread, have some memey garbage I made and forgot to post after someone decided it was a good idea to vent their frustration with Emmanellain at me.

I love it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

super sweet best pal posted:

Having different rotations for different dungeons is too much of a demand on my bars. I think it's a cool class in general but it makes 5678 a hassle and ldr a nightmare.

I don't really understand this because at least with BLM and RPR you don't really stop using any of your older skills (except for, at like level 58ish, Blizzard I). So if you queue into Crystal Tower or something as a Reaper you're basically only going to be doing your debuff, your 1-2-3, and your single oGCD attack, but you shouldn't have to reconfigure any of your bars to do it because you still need those buttons at level 90.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 8, 2022

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Thundarr posted:

Does anyone have the original Shadowlands version of this?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mainwaring posted:

Does anyone have the original Shadowlands version of this?

https://reddit.com/r/wow/comments/iw2arc/dont_you_dare_play_shadowlands_in_this_classic/?limit=500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Hogama posted:

Regarding the character names in Endwalker, As far as I've seen, ヴェーネス, Veenesu, is not meant to be the same name as ビーナス, Biinesu; the "e"s in the former's romaji are still short e (eh) sounds. Venat != Venus.
As for the two characters pronouncing it slightly different, I figure that's more like how even in English you'll have two voice actors pronouncing the same name a bit differently. Japanese doesn't actually have a "V" sound per se, but they'll typically approximate it with "B," and individuals might be better or worse at making the actual letter distinction in speech - Alphinaud and Urianger aren't supposed to be saying two different names, lore-wise.

I couldn't exactly tell you why they felt obligated to use the reference here rather than a Greek name, other than the Occuria being tied to the Scions of Light and Darkness, so I guess she's the "heretic" from the rest of the Convocation (even if she wasn't the acting Azem at the time). Gerun, the other named Occuria, is also a name present in XIV lore, but as the author of the Gerun Oracles, the prophecies Louisoix and Urianger turn to at times.

I don't know, FF uses a lot of nonstandard classical name localizations, for instance ハーデス for Hades rather than ハデス or ハーデース. I realize ヴェーネス is a little more extreme than the Hades differences, but it's basically a vowel-shifted form of ヴィーナス that shows up as the "English reading" of the goddess' name a lot. Feels like a "both" situation where it's classical name & prior FF references combined.