Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Found the best cosplay ever

https://twitter.com/hyouroku72/status/1490186447760269314?s=20&t=KWWixfuB610NGcMo89QoUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

christmas boots posted:

Tag yourself I'm Casca slowly sliding out of frame.

Lol I've seen this gif a thousand times and never noticed that. It's the .gifT that keeps on giving.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Retromancer posted:

Goddamn, is there any anime with a greater disparity of quality of story to quality of animation than Demon Slayer?

honorary mention to jojo season 1 and mobile suit gundam for having basically zero budget

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Stairmaster posted:

honorary mention to jojo season 1 and mobile suit gundam for having basically zero budget

9/11’s most disastrous impact was denying young me the final arc of MSG on toonami. Took me years to finally see it. You can’t just stop airing a show during the climax!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

There's quite a few contemporary shows that take up both ends of the spectrum. Demon Slayer at least meets its own goals in terms of its storytelling. It's simplistic and dumb, but it doesn't have to be more complicated than it is as a shonen action romp.

Rent a Girlfriend is very well animated and illustrated, but the story repeats the same beats over & over again - never breaking out of its completely insane premise. Even people who originally loved it grow to hate it now that it's at over 200 chapters and nothing has changed. The anime concludes with a botched confession, but that's the whole manga. It's a big fat waste of time, even for the perverts.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
demon slayer is a good vehicle for action sequences. The story is as basic as it gets but it's set in the taishou period which is kinda interesting. Main characters are all serviceable. Swords are cool.

I don't know why nezuko is like brain damaged and stupid for the whole series

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

demon slayer is a good vehicle for action sequences. The story is as basic as it gets but it's set in the taishou period which is kinda interesting. Main characters are all serviceable. Swords are cool.

Pretty sure she's like Goku - if she wasn't brain-damaged, she'd be evil.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

demon slayer is pretty much distilled shonen so it's no wonder it is crushing even though imo the manga is kinda ugly and boring.

- early modern japan with swords and poo poo which is always a pretty popular setting
- evil bad guys with different powers
- very, very simple story that isn't packed to the brim with weird esoteric lore like the fate poo poo
- nice but boring mc insert
- enough grimdarkness for teens to think is cool
- interspersed with enough "characters turn chibi and do whacky comedy!~" stuff not to overwhelm the audience with grimdarkness

ufotable was also one of the first studios to really understand how to do digital fights (hint: an assload of 3D effects) that don't require an insane amount of labor hours. it makes good use of the medium

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
story-wise (manga spoilers) it's because so much of her brain and physiology are being focused on overcoming her weakness to the sun but functionally it's a nerf because otherwise she'd just be cleaning up in all these fights.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's quite a few contemporary shows that take up both ends of the spectrum. Demon Slayer at least meets its own goals in terms of its storytelling. It's simplistic and dumb, but it doesn't have to be more complicated than it is as a shonen action romp.

Rent a Girlfriend is very well animated and illustrated, but the story repeats the same beats over & over again - never breaking out of its completely insane premise. Even people who originally loved it grow to hate it now that it's at over 200 chapters and nothing has changed. The anime concludes with a botched confession, but that's the whole manga. It's a big fat waste of time, even for the perverts.

Wait isn't thr story of Rent a Girlfriend is a dude falls in love with a not prostitute, and she falls in love with him but there's harem hijinks?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

Wait isn't thr story of Rent a Girlfriend is a dude falls in love with a not prostitute, and she falls in love with him but there's harem hijinks?

The hook for the story is that they fall in love with each other, but they can't admit it. Yet they have to maintain the facade to their families that they're actually dating because they've both met each others' families already - which is a fact that the protagonist gets blackmailed over several times. And it goes on like this forever. The leads are way too embarrassed of admitting they're actually into each other - which would immediately resolve the whole charade. But it just keeps going and going and going and going. There are harem hijinks but none of the other girls really matter. They're just there for the audience to ogle over. Every arc is the same story.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The hook for the story is that they fall in love with each other, but they can't admit it. Yet they have to maintain the facade to their families that they're actually dating because they've both met each others' families already - which is a fact that the protagonist gets blackmailed over several times. And it goes on like this forever. The leads are way too embarrassed of admitting they're actually into each other - which would immediately resolve the whole charade. But it just keeps going and going and going and going. There are harem hijinks but none of the other girls really matter. They're just there for the audience to ogle over. Every arc is the same story.

That sounds like the worst, is there any actual reason for them not to share their feelings?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

That sounds like the worst, is there any actual reason for them not to share their feelings?

Being shy? Being a coward? It's a cash cow that can never end?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Longrunning rom-coms that don't break out of the shell of their status quo is a proud tradition, and that is pretty much what I expected out of the series when I watched a few episodes and saw how long the manga is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Me, personally, I grew up renting Ranma 1/2 on VHS tapes at Blockbuster so when a rom-com has zero progress over a billion episodes I actually unironically love it.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

there are some badass hyper violent old rear end anime i saw way to young as a kid that i wish i could remember and find. I only sorta know it when i see it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
what I appreciated about My Love Story is that the best friend just nipped that in the bud right away and skipped all that nonsense

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Popy posted:

there are some badass hyper violent old rear end anime i saw way to young as a kid that i wish i could remember and find. I only sorta know it when i see it

it’s ninja scroll

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Popy posted:

Was it in the past or the future. If it was in the past it was probably Nina Scroll, if it was in the future there's some options

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Popy posted:

watch this Hazel video and see if anything sparks a memory

https://youtu.be/mF-XaCPqjqE

also all of you should watch Hazel’s stuff she’s a good video essayist

see, their love of the Flatwoods Monster

https://youtu.be/gKKqdp3aXRc

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Being shy? Being a coward? It's a cash cow that can never end?

That's fair, it's just been awhile since I'd seen anything with that formula

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Srice posted:

Longrunning rom-coms that don't break out of the shell of their status quo is a proud tradition, and that is pretty much what I expected out of the series when I watched a few episodes and saw how long the manga is.

Yeah, but it's the repetition of it that makes it so insulting. I feel bad for the people who got suckered in to the romcom okeydoke yet again because Rent A Girlfriend is so well illustrated. But most of them are perverts anyway and the story is stupid on its face, so I really don't. Anybody who thought a story about falling in love with the not-a-prostitute that you pay to hang out with wasn't going to be bad is either a teenager or a moron.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Casey Finnigan posted:

It is absolutely nuts that the shonen manga with the worst female characters since Naruto is written by a woman.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
eh I think my hero academia has much worse female characters

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What do you mean, they have such strong female characters like horny pedophile teacher, teenager that acts like a toddler, the girl that makes canons come out of her boobs, and froppy.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the only one i know is the frog girl, i have not watched the anime

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
frog girl is okay. all the others suck. a bunch of them only exist to get murdered or their superpowers permanently stolen or whatever

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

What do you mean, they have such strong female characters like horny pedophile teacher, teenager that acts like a toddler, the girl that makes canons come out of her boobs, and froppy.

I don't remember this one

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

froppy! froppy! froppy!

the bisque doll show is a good pervert romcom

12 or 13 episodes of go-nowhere rom com isn’t long enough to be torturous when your original frame of reference is like, Love Hina or the one where they turn into zodiac animals

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

christmas boots posted:

I don't remember this one

Anyway froppy is best girl

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Anyway froppy is best girl

Oh right, one of the non-Mirio upperclassmen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

frog girl is okay. all the others suck. a bunch of them only exist to get murdered or their superpowers permanently stolen or whatever

Not that either of them is good, but I'd say that KNY is worse by that metric, too.

Seriously, nearly all the prominent female characters end up dead and/or mutilated.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Darth Walrus posted:

Not that either of them is good, but I'd say that KNY is worse by that metric, too.

Seriously, nearly all the prominent female characters end up dead and/or mutilated.

at least they get fights

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Darth Walrus posted:

Based on the most recent episode it doesn't seem like the male characters are faring that much better

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wondering how this thread will feel about the female characters in Chainsaw Man. :thunk:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bleach was very scizophrenic about its portrayal of women

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the boobs in one piece keep getting bigger im up to uh like episode 600

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Popy posted:

the boobs in one piece keep getting bigger im up to uh like episode 600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Stairmaster posted:

bleach was very scizophrenic about its portrayal of women

i think real life is like that too