Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Also would like to share that once again I don’t understand how crypto continues to be a thing despite all evidence that it’s dumb

People have always been susceptible to scams in history. 10 years ago we were laughing at women getting into the essential oils pyramid scheme, and they stuck around because "omg the community is so great" and that's pretty much why the bored ape NFT community exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
As long as enough people believe it to be valuable, it will be valuable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got a user who's just tech savvy enough to be dangerous. His webcam stopped working, and he furiously mashed the Update and Restart buttons until he was on Windows 11. Rolled him back to 10, still no luck. Checked the BIOS, camera is enabled. Resetting Windows now...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Even besides Bitcoin being a convenient scam...

It's also just morally repugnant. Horrible for the environment, used to launder money from some of the most evil people in the world, and purports to create value from nowhere. Making fake money by doing absolutely nothing is the root of many of the issues with our modern capitalist system. If people were actually compensated in terms of the true, actual value they bring to their positions the country would be so much more equal than it is.

Gosh you'd think someone in her situation could at least APPEAR rich but she can't even do that. Even though she was.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I bet if he deleted his web browser cache that would do it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind her stolen billions are not really billions, they're a number of coins which if they could all be sold at today's current trading rate would be billions, except of course they undoubtedly sold many of them when they got them, and had to take less than the current exchange rate in order to divest themselves of significant quantities, and probably also fed right back into the scam-o-sphere of cryptoshit with a fair amount, and of course undoubtedly were still holding big chunks because number always go up.

But they don't even look like they cashed out a few thousand dollars worth to go shopping for decent clothes, and that's kind of hilarious.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CannonFodder posted:

WW1? Fly fishing? Mr. Hemingway, can you tell me more about your cats?

:wink:

But no seriously I’m going to go full court press on destressing my life.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Leperflesh posted:

Keep in mind her stolen billions are not really billions, they're a number of coins which if they could all be sold at today's current trading rate would be billions, except of course they undoubtedly sold many of them when they got them, and had to take less than the current exchange rate in order to divest themselves of significant quantities, and probably also fed right back into the scam-o-sphere of cryptoshit with a fair amount, and of course undoubtedly were still holding big chunks because number always go up.

But they don't even look like they cashed out a few thousand dollars worth to go shopping for decent clothes, and that's kind of hilarious.

That's part of the scam of cryptocurrency, it's extremely difficult to convert any large fraction of those "billions" into actual cash. Mainly because that actual cash doesn't really exist. It's totally reliant on a continuing wave of new suckers to keep the illusion going.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

T-Square posted:

I watched too much Women’s Slopestyle last night

JEALOUS!! I just put in for vacation from the 17th through the 22nd, can't wait to get back out there. Only been boarding once this year because the snow has been stubbornly bad in Southern California.

Where's this at? That's a nice 'tailfish' grab ;)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Found a place up here selling Blanton’s for $65 a bottle so bought everything she had

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Play posted:

JEALOUS!! I just put in for vacation from the 17th through the 22nd, can't wait to get back out there. Only been boarding once this year because the snow has been stubbornly bad in Southern California.

Where's this at? That's a nice 'tailfish' grab ;)

A little place called The Rock here in Milwaukee, it’s just an old landfill or whatever with like four runs but they make a pretty dope terrain park and it’s cheap during the week.

However during the weekend, it was like $50 and that was probably my fifth run and I snapped the tongue on my binding when I landed that jump and I can’t find compatible replacements because my bindings are old so I’m probably done for the season :(

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’d love to move to a slower pace kind of place, if:
1. I could keep my good job
2. I already had a significant other

Tucson sure is pretty tho

the significant other thing makes a big difference on location, for sure. job + relationship determines a lot for location preferences\

Joey Freshwater posted:

Found a place up here selling Blanton’s for $65 a bottle so bought everything she had

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so loving jealous

Play
Apr 25, 2006

T-Square posted:

A little place called The Rock here in Milwaukee, it’s just an old landfill or whatever with like four runs but they make a pretty dope terrain park and it’s cheap during the week.

However during the weekend, it was like $50 and that was probably my fifth run and I snapped the tongue on my binding when I landed that jump and I can’t find compatible replacements because my bindings are old so I’m probably done for the season :(

yeah all my poo poo is super old, I've had everything since like 2004/2005 (in terms of the snowboard, I have a new jacket but the same pants, board, bindings, boots etc.). my board is basically slathered in quick resin at this point to cover up holes/cracks so the core doesn't get soggy, and my boots are covered with shoe goo all around the lower part lol

luckily my bindings aren't proprietary, that poo poo is super duper annoying. can you get a new set of straps (both sides) instead of just the tongue? or would you legit need a brand new set of bindings?

I'd say get em anyways. I'd do anything to live in a place where I could snowboard every day

also, if it's the toe strap I've boarded the whole rest of the day without the back foot toe strap before. not optimal but doable

Play fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 9, 2022

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
God I miss living next to a ski area with amazing vertical footage and being owned by burned out hippies, season pass for under $800 and you can hit a run from top to bottom that’s 2000 vertical feet without stopping. The places here are way pricier, massively over crowded, and best case scenario you can go for half that distance before having to catch a lift

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Play posted:

Even besides Bitcoin being a convenient scam...

It's also just morally repugnant. Horrible for the environment, used to launder money from some of the most evil people in the world, and purports to create value from nowhere. Making fake money by doing absolutely nothing is the root of many of the issues with our modern capitalist system. If people were actually compensated in terms of the true, actual value they bring to their positions the country would be so much more equal than it is.

Gosh you'd think someone in her situation could at least APPEAR rich but she can't even do that. Even though she was.

Never underestimate its ability to get dumber. Someone’s trying to start a platform where you own nfts of color so you can make money when other nfts minted on the platform use your color. This is legit just capital going to crazy lengths to find profits/growth.

https://color.museum

Just the stupidest of times.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SeanGrandePBP/status/1491213197659217921

that's bad

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Christ.

I’m heading to Kentucky next month and trying to figure out which distilleries to hit. To help I poured some Weller 12 and I’m furiously googling

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’d recommend scoring more.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I enjoy crippling pain so I figure, hey I'll dig up a stream and see how dead the arena is.

By the time I get it loaded, the score's 28-11. Lame.

Stadium sounds incredibly dead though.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Jackass solidifies that the funniest thing possible is a man getting hit in the nuts

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Defector’s article is of course the standard on this, but they also mentioned that the value of what was stolen was like $70 million? And wound up being billions? Yikes.

Accidentally involved in the largest financial seizure in United States history. Woooof.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Guze posted:

Jackass solidifies that the funniest thing possible is a man getting hit in the nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTCEPBDekH4

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/169298417519050752?s=21

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Reminiscent of a time I was in Aspen and just found a poo poo ton of fresh Pliny the Elder in a random drug store cooler.

Classed up my snowstorm hot tub experience just a cockhair.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Agreed, Boston sports fans getting joy from anything is haram

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Play posted:

Snip snap

Yeah all of my poo poo is from the same time period. Now 3 out of 4 tongues have snapped from being ancient brittle plastic in the cold, so I already salvaged both toe tongues from another old pair of bindings that were missing parts already, but the ankle tongues aren’t compatible. I am likely going to just pinch some pennies over spring/summer and buy a new board and bindings this year so I don’t really wanna spend time or money cobbling together janky old bindings for two or three more trips to the hill. I did splurge for some new blue and white Vans boots though :coolfish:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
So after losing three coworkers late December and the company not paying at minimum $30k in their salary (not including benefits) in the past month, they got back to me on my raise I asked for due to my workload tripling.

I got $5k and won't get the annual 1.5% in April (which is all I've got in the last 7 years). It's better than nothing, but it's all I'm going to get until they decide to outsource me again. Also of replacements for three excellent employees they hired, one has no IT experience and one answered phones.

gently caress this place.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It’s a buyers market. Leave.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

It’s a buyers market. Leave.

I've heard a lot people posting jobs but people aren't actually moving because companies still won't hire at a competitive rate. I dunno, it's not as worker friendly as we'd hoped!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

As someone who has tried to hire multiple professional positions this year at above market rates, I can promise you those jobs are out there.

I have no idea about service industry stuff and I’d absolutely believe they’re lying about availability or pay.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I keep hearing about the great job market but it doesn’t seem that way. Just seems like a lot of people are leaving lovely jobs… but firms aren’t making *better* jobs to try and get them back, just posting the same poo poo.

E: I also vaguely recall something about how a significant number of job openings on the market aren’t actually real - it’s a way for organizations to milk the PPP and get money. So the job market is not as juicy as it looks.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 9, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Guze posted:

Soooooo much genital trauma in this one too.

You know firing Bam sucked for the group as they specifically made a prank to gently caress with him the room with the "snake" they release after turning out all the lights.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm sure there are shortages in labor in specific fields, but the general labor shortage isn't really a labor shortage, it's a capital strike.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

More people are starting to come back to the work force too, which means more competition for jobs. 3 million more people are looking for work than last year.

I think there are still labor shortages in some fields, but it’s not universal, and even the real shortages are due to COVID outbreaks many times.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He’s a professional computer toucher, not someone looking for work as a Staples associate.

He should be looking because that poo poo is out there. If it wasn’t I’m sure he’d still have a few of his old coworkers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, things are stupid in computer land. Bunch of my friends have taken new jobs over the past 6 months taking home at least like 30k more then they were previously.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I gotta hand it to Boba Fett, he really cleaned up the streets. He’s like the Rudy Giuliani of Tatooine. Ought to name his rancor “RICO”.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I have mentioned before I started a new job last Monday as IT support. I had a recruiter reach out to me and from the job I was at to this job, I got a 5.25 an hour raise. It's actually a better environment and has a chance to be hired full time so yeah, at the very least set up a profile on indeed and make sure people can see your resume so they can reach out to you. That's what I did.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

He’s a professional computer toucher, not someone looking for work as a Staples associate.

He should be looking because that poo poo is out there. If it wasn’t I’m sure he’d still have a few of his old coworkers.

This, especially since he seems tenured. Tight job market for senior tech folks and leaders for companies, but a tight job market for workers for more junior folks. Good talent doesn't even really hit the market these days, you have to get lucky with hitting them up at the right time.

I have a lot of headcount for this year and it's going to take time to fill it out cause I need senior folks. Def making offers above market, but so are a lot of other places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
So I just checked my salary history and the number they told my boss is half what is showing in the HR system. Our super cool HR provider strikes again!

Someone's gonna be really disappointed.

About leaving - it's definitely an option if my plans for the year fail. I'm in medic school through December and the idea of that and trying to take on a new job and learn the ropes is quite frankly scary to me. After I'm done with school I'm going to try and make the transition to full time fire or EMS.

Yes I'm aware that's a lot less. I'm a dumbass, what can I say.