Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

Isn't that the one where they completely botched it and had to dismiss it? They charged him with DUI when his BAC was at .02.

yeah but iirc it came out it was two cops bitter that springsteen wrote 41 shots, a song about how maybe 41 shots fired at a guy with a wallet was bad...like 20 years ago...trumped the whole thing up yeah

the AUSA didn't botch it, they just reviewed the facts and were like gently caress this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
a federal dui?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Soothing Vapors posted:

a federal dui?

iirc it happened on federal land, like a national park or something

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The officer was a park ranger if that makes a difference.

helperdog
Oct 10, 2021

DOG

algebra testes posted:

The officer was a park ranger if that makes a difference.

When a park ranger arrests u do u get in the truck bed for transpo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

helperdog posted:

When a park ranger arrests u do u get in the truck bed for transpo

Do you think he arrests Brown bears and stuff too.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
only when they’re stealing pic-a-nic baskets

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/01/alert-milbank-announces-salary-scale-increases-to-kick-off-the-new-year/

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Based on a few conversations I've had with friends who are partners, I hear law firms have been getting aggressive about recruiting new attorneys again. The snobbery and bias against people from "low" tier firms or who might have been laid off before is still there, but jobs are out there.

I feel bad for everyone who graduated between 2009 and 2016 or so. Law firms are often so stuck up they just will just keep chasing after the same people rather than try to look outside a set checklist.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks, I’ll send that message again.

Two weeks later, I get an e-mail asking what my total would be again.

I guess things don't happen quickly in medmal cases.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Residency Evil posted:

Two weeks later, I get an e-mail asking what my total would be again.

I guess things don't happen quickly in medmal cases.

The lawyer is typically fronting costs in medmal cases, and the ones I’ve known aren’t going to actually spend expert money unless they know they need it and that they’re likely to recover it.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also this person hired an expert who had never written a report or testified before - part of what's going on in this relationship is that they're being more expecting of discounts and demands on your time because it's likely not a case that merits the $ for a seasoned expert and you're getting to put something on your CV to get better expert gigs in the future

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nonexistence posted:

Also this person hired an expert who had never written a report or testified before - part of what's going on in this relationship is that they're being more expecting of discounts and demands on your time because it's likely not a case that merits the $ for a seasoned expert and you're getting to put something on your CV to get better expert gigs in the future

Perfect, sounds like the will to do this is low on both sides!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nonexistence posted:

this kinda sounds like how every expert got started doing work comp in my state, except a lot of those experts end up staying there because it's easy to get paid $5,000/$10,000 to write a report saying "yeah it's my medical opinion that this guy stubbing his toe while carrying a stapler caused crippling PTSD"

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, a question about sex offender registries. Long story short, I'm looking at a court docket from 2001 for a guy who was convicted of statutory rape, sentenced to 1-2 years in prison and ordered to join the sex offender program in his state (PA). As far as I know, he is currently still living (though homeless) in PA, but he is not currently showing up on PA state's sex offender registry. Here's the relevant portion of the court docket:

But I also checked the sex offender registry for Montana, a state he used to live in many years ago. And he *is* on MT's registry, with a record update date of 1/22/2022 but a physical description update date of 5/30/2017 (a year I'm pretty sure he was still living in PA). The only crime listed for him in the registry is the statutory rape in PA in 2001. Here's the relevant portion of that record:

My question: Is it safe for me to assume that his absence from PA's sex offender registry and his presence on MT's means he is now currently living in MT again?

OR

Could it be that he's still in PA -- it's just that (given his light sentence in 2001) he wasn't required to be in PA's sex offender registry in perpetuity, hence his absence there now, and MT simply hasn't purged him from their registry for some reason?

Which is the more likely scenario?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

That's the information the site is conveying, yes. MT's website has big red letters for non-compliant (i.e. haven't registered when they should have) offenders, so assuming you don't see that on this guy's profile it means he's in compliance as far as whoever updates the website knows.

Now in compliance could theoretically mean they moved away and thus don't have an obligation to register, and you're entirely right to think they may not have any obligation to register in PA even though they do in another state.

If you want to check, call the Missoula PD listed there and ask if he's registered to a location. Often transients register to a general area or an intersection or something like that. They may be able to tell you for certain if that 1/19 update means he was registered there as of 6 days ago. That's what I would be looking to clarify here.

All of this is with the caveat that those sites pretty much always have disclaimers about not making any guarantee of being accurate.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Legal questions thread is thataway.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks very much -- I'll contact the Missoula PD, and my apologies for posting in the wrong thread!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
We had a big SORNA case awhile back that held that you could only be subject to Megan’s Law that was applicable at the time of offense. It’s likely he was only required to register for 10 or 15 years.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

We had a big SORNA case awhile back that held that you could only be subject to Megan’s Law that was applicable at the time of offense. It’s likely he was only required to register for 10 or 15 years.

Yeah, different states have different laws. It doesn't matter if you were registrable in the state you came from (this cuts both ways, a non-reg offense in one state may require you to register elsewhere). In CA, consensual sexual intercourse (but only penis/vagina because appeals courts and no one wanting to fix laws) with 16+ is non-registrable, for example.
We also have time limits on registration for certain offenses (new) and certain offenses are not listed on the website even if you have to register.

helperdog
Oct 10, 2021

DOG

algebra testes posted:

Do you think he arrests Brown bears and stuff too.

If they did I'd have already heard someone in my class say they want to specialize in bear defense law

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Perfect, sounds like the will to do this is low on both sides!

They sent me a check.

:negative:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/saraaaaajean/status/1490876166571687936

https://twitter.com/saraaaaajean/status/1491048847183065093

Are expectations in law school different now?

I don't know why this ended up on my Twitter feed but it's getting a lot of replies.

At my school, you couldn't say you "landed" big law until you got a 2nd year summer associate offer. Our journal tryouts were during the 1st year second semester, so we couldn't coast unless you had somehow had a dream first semester. And even then, who knows how your second semester might go?

I guess it all worked out for this woman, but her details sound weird and I just find it a weird thing to me to claim that journals mean nothing. If nothing else, it helps demonstrate subject matter interest, right? Or has the law job recruiting landscape really changed since I graduated in the mid-00s?

I got too psychologically burned out to deal with the law school moot court competition, which only opened up the beginning of your second year. I think that got held against me and I wish I had just half-assed it enough to put in a bad memo. (A classmate of mine during the first stage of oral arguments said "the defense concedes" and just walked out.)

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 8, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I have never done more work for anything less important than my experience on Law Review. I am sure it still matters to judges and academia, but "mattering" and "useful" are different things. It is formalized navel gazing that operates exclusively so professors can learn other professors' names and justify tenure and makes law school, a professional program, more "academic."

gently caress journals. They should be practice materials put out by professional organizations like medical journals. As is they are formalized make-work that we have to pretend mean something just like volume counts at the school library. When I'm asked about it by current students I tell them they are massive wastes of time and unless you are convinced that it will be the deal-maker getting a job, don't waste your time and focus on trial ad or moot court where the skills are at least transferable.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 8, 2022

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Journals encourage law students to be self-important and overly pedantic, two of the most annoying qualities lawyers can have.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://twitter.com/saraaaaajean/status/1490876166571687936

https://twitter.com/saraaaaajean/status/1491048847183065093

Are expectations in law school different now?

I don't know why this ended up on my Twitter feed but it's getting a lot of replies.

At my school, you couldn't say you "landed" big law until you got a 2nd year summer associate offer. Our journal tryouts were during the 1st year second semester, so we couldn't coast unless you had somehow had a dream first semester. And even then, who knows how your second semester might go?

I guess it all worked out for this woman, but her details sound weird and I just find it a weird thing to me to claim that journals mean nothing. If nothing else, it helps demonstrate subject matter interest, right? Or has the law job recruiting landscape really changed since I graduated in the mid-00s?

I got too psychologically burned out to deal with the law school moot court competition, which only opened up the beginning of your second year. I think that got held against me and I wish I had just half-assed it enough to put in a bad memo. (A classmate of mine during the first stage of oral arguments said "the defense concedes" and just walked out.)

It's the same. She might be truncating details -- e.g., she didn't want to do it in second semester of first year, and didn't try again to do it the next year because she had already gotten a summer associate position.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

I have never done more work for anything less important than my experience on Law Review. I am sure it still matters to judges and academia, but "mattering" and "useful" are different things.

Journal matters insofar as it's yet another credential in a credential-obsessed profession. Not having done journal won't hurt you most of the time, but having done it can be helpful for getting past that credentials threshold (especially if you were at a lower ranked school.)

Journal's one actual benefit is that my citations are more-or-less correctly Bluebooked without trying. Is that worth the amount of work it was? gently caress no.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm assuming "landed biglaw" means "mommy was a senior partner," but she's right.

I was assigned to "mentor" some 1ls recently and what I told them was that journals exist to show employers you're willing to work hard for free.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Tokelau All Star posted:

Journals encourage law students to be self-important and overly pedantic, two of the most annoying qualities lawyers can have.

I thought self-importance and pedantry were the top two line-items on any list of qualifications for a lawyer, and the first two questions of a bar exam.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm assuming "landed biglaw" means "mommy was a senior partner," but she's right.

I was assigned to "mentor" some 1ls recently and what I told them was that journals exist to show employers you're willing to work hard for free.

It's worse than that. You're paying for the privilege of doing that useless poo poo.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I was on a secondary journal my 2L year until I got my first summer associate offer, then I dropped the journal. A lot of my classmates did the same thing. The actual experience of being on the journal was completely pointless, but at the time it felt like not being on a journal would look bad in the hiring process. In retrospect, I don’t think that was true and I should have just skipped it entirely.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Well, it sounds like life turned out okay for me. I was on 2 journals, but they didn't have note requirements and just asked us to cite check and edit articles. I thought it was a good way to learn about subjects I liked and I ended up on an editorial board of an entertainment and sports law journal doing web and organizational stuff. The articles were pretty concrete and related to current concerns. I guess it was okay that I didn't end up on the more prestigious journals like the International Law or Tax Law ones.

I was amazed at how badly (or incompletely) written the articles submitted for publishing were, though.

Pook Good Mook posted:

When I'm asked about it by current students I tell them they are massive wastes of time and unless you are convinced that it will be the deal-maker getting a job, don't waste your time and focus on trial ad or moot court where the skills are at least transferable.

Moot cout doesn't mean much for people who really don't want to be in court. There were a lot of people at my school who were trying to avoid litigation like the plague.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

D34THROW posted:

I thought self-importance and pedantry were the top two line-items on any list of qualifications for a lawyer, and the first two questions of a bar exam.

Second and third after "I like to argue"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I was an "editor" on a journal but to my credit I did a piss-poor job and put in the bare minimum amount of effort. I did it mostly because I didn't want to end up unemployed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Still my favorite story that there were two goons in the thread on the same college law review.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i was the finance editor on my journal, which i recall meant i signed a check once or twice

not sure i even did that

i highly recommend that position over anything involving writing

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I'm the son of two academics, so I enjoyed being on a journal because I absorbed enough of the values of academia through osmosis to enjoy it (and was on the acquisitions, not the blue booking, team). That said, I don't actually disagree with anything y'all have said from a systemic point of view. It's stupid for both law students and legal academia that student-run journals, rather than peer-reviewed publications or monographs, are the main medium of scholarly exchange.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skipped all that journal poo poo. My career got hosed for unrelated reasons lol

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I skipped journals entirely and went the lazy route for student orgs instead. I was the co-president of the IP law foundation and the vice pres of the Business Law students' association.

Our IP group did a small-to-moderate amount of activities, the Business Law org was headed by a friend of mine who used it to pocket a ton of free swag and candy from Westlaw and Lexis. We held no meetings and had no other members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

Still my favorite story that there were two goons in the thread on the same college law review.

Me and nm were a year apart at our school.

And we've been poo poo posting for all twelve years since.